[ROM] FTB (2.1 mod) - updated 2012 01 01

Guest twrock

Happy New Year everyone!

FTB version 0.9 has been uploaded. See the first post for the link. See the second post for the changelog.

Twrock,

I installed FTB08 and updated with the FTB09betatweaks2 yesterday. Where do I start from if I want to update to the new version(FTB09)? Do I need to do a factory reset/wipe data or just go straight to install/update from zip? And after installation, am I still supposed to run the commands in Terminal emulator i.e.

su

a2sd swappy30

a2sd lowmem-moderate

I don't run a2sd cachesd as I use the card that came with the phone and suspect its not a class6 or higher. And another question, how do I exit emulator if I don't run a2sd cachesd?

And how do you handle playing back music? When I tap directly on a music file stored on my SD card I get a message that "there is no application to handle this type of file".

Guest Kiril10

Twrock, I have a problem with all custom 2.1 roms. I constantly get the message process.android.acore is not responding. I always do full wipe before instalation. I don't have that problem with CM 6.1 roms. Before rooting my phone I used hungarian stock rom and Tre 2.1

Guest pedrojaime

Twrock, I have a problem with all custom 2.1 roms. I constantly get the message process.android.acore is not responding. I always do full wipe before instalation. I don't have that problem with CM 6.1 roms. Before rooting my phone I used hungarian stock rom and Tre 2.1

I must admit I see this at times with FTB 2.1, less when I don't install to many things on the phone.. I am testing out Quadrant to benchmark the performance of the phone and when I have next to nothing I can get a score of up to 282 with U8220. This is not realistic though since I need email and other apps installed. Once I install these, I get on average a score of 267 which I think is respectable. During my testing I noticed that there are certain processes which will slow the phone down, particularly having many desktops and many widgets will slow the phone down significantly. I just have one main desktop, a BBC clock, media player shortcut icon and contacts shortcut icon. Try reducing the no. of desktops and widgets and you should see a big difference in the responsiveness. I have found ADW to be the lightest on memory use (though GO Launcher Ex is not bad and has more eye candy

if you're into that).

Another approach I have been considering is running a program to renice (increase the priority) of the core Android process - process.android.acore. If you do this, make gradual changes to prevent boot loops and general instability..

Hope it helps,

Peter

Guest pedrojaime

And how do you handle playing back music? When I tap directly on a music file stored on my SD card I get a message that "there is no application to handle this type of file".

First open Vanilla Media Player and it will prompt you to scan your disk/SD card for mp3 files. After this, you should be able to click on any mp3 file with any file manager and it should just play for you.

Hey twrock, since u modified the boot.img to be more aggressive than default huawei and less than dta2sd, should the new users apply the a2sd lowmem-moderate? Some people might get confused with that.

Guest pedrojaime

Twrock,

I installed FTB08 and updated with the FTB09betatweaks2 yesterday. Where do I start from if I want to update to the new version(FTB09)? Do I need to do a factory reset/wipe data or just go straight to install/update from zip? And after installation, am I still supposed to run the commands in Terminal emulator i.e.

su

a2sd swappy30

a2sd lowmem-moderate

I don't run a2sd cachesd as I use the card that came with the phone and suspect its not a class6 or higher. And another question, how do I exit emulator if I don't run a2sd cachesd?

I just ran factory reset/wipe data and then proceeded toreboot recovery, choose zip file to flash and flash the latest version. I then ran the above commands and gave the phone time to reboot properly (auto reboot after last command). If you are in the terminal window, press the menu button and there should be an option to 'Exit'. Just typing exit at the terminal prompt won't do it.

One thing I have found very useful is an app called 'appsaver' which will allow you to save off the installer files of the apps you have installed. This saves a lot of time. For the ones you have purchased, you will need to connect to Market and re-download and install them. Finally, if you have a lot of data (music files for example) you can always create a 'Music folder on the sdcard (/sdcard/Music) When you do a wipe and factory reset, these files will not be lost, only the Android operating system files and folders will be cleared. I believe your application folders will also remain intact. For example, installing appsaver app creates /sdcard/appsaver directory. This is not erased when wiping. hope it helps you. One thing I would like to backup in future before re-installing are the remembered wifi networks' passwords. Its really annoying to have to remember and retype again after installing a new version of the ROM. ADW also allows you to back up and restore its settings and desktop configuration. This will save everything except the wallpaper which you can quickly reset. What I do is first backup both (these will be saved to /sdcard folder), then copy the /sdcard/adw_launcher.db and /sdcard/adwsettings.xml to /sdcard/ftb folder that I created. After I install the new version, I go into /sdcard and delete (or rename if you are not sure) these two files, then paste in a copy of these files from /sdcard/ftb to /sdcard. Now go into ADW Settings, scroll down to 'Backup and restore' and restore both files. If you had any widgets and shortcuts backed up, make sure the programs are installed on the phone before restoring.

Guest pedrojaime

Well, I installed the latest FTB 09 version, don't have any widgets on my desktop and really enjoying longer battery life. Keep up the great work twrock, with every new release the ROM keeps getting slicker. Thanks a lot for your hard work :D

Peter

P.S. I note there is fast progress on kernel 2.6.32 going on at the moment in this forum and it looks like it may be useable soon. Do you think it may be possible to use that kernel version for FTB 2.1 or only 2.2 based ROMs? thanks again.

First open Vanilla Media Player and it will prompt you to scan your disk/SD card for mp3 files. After this, you should be able to click on any mp3 file with any file manager and it should just play for you.

When I open Vanilla it didn't prompt a the disk/SD card scan so I added songs manually to the library. It still doesn't play from the file manager, AndExplorer. This is the error message I get when I click on a music file :

Cannot open file: No activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.VIEW dat=file:///sdcard/../whatever.mp3 typ=audio/mpeg}.

Guest pedrojaime

When I open Vanilla it didn't prompt a the disk/SD card scan so I added songs manually to the library. It still doesn't play from the file manager, AndExplorer. This is the error message I get when I click on a music file :

Cannot open file: No activity found to handle Intent { act=android.intent.action.VIEW dat=file:///sdcard/../whatever.mp3 typ=audio/mpeg}.

Strange, I have flashed the ROM about 3 times (testing) and never seen this error. Do you get any other errors or just when trying to open mp3 files? Not sure what to suggest except try flashing the ROM again, sorry.

Strange, I have flashed the ROM about 3 times (testing) and never seen this error. Do you get any other errors or just when trying to open mp3 files? Not sure what to suggest except try flashing the ROM again, sorry.

I get the FC (Process com.android.phone is not responding.) on the first booting right after flashing the ROM. And this happens on every other reboot.

Guest pedrojaime

I am really not certain if this will help your FCs you are seeing but I am testing out this program which makes Vanilla Media player cut out and the phone calls come in faster:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=558822

Extract the zip file and install the .apk on the phone. I have set my script.txt (runs every 30 min by default) to:

busybox renice 5 `pidof com.google.process.gapps`

busybox renice -18 `pidof com.android.phone`

busybox renice -18 `pidof mediaserver`

busybox renice -18 `pidof mediaserver`

busybox renice -16 `pidof com.android.launcher`

busybox renice -15 `pidof org.kreed.vanilla`

I just tried adding the line

busybox renice -18 `pidof process.android.acore`

Note mediaserver process is needed for ringtones and playing media files and org.kreed.vanilla is the Vanilla media player process. I am just testing with Quadrant but I don't seem to get any conclusive results that this improves performance overall. Good luck. What the above lines do help with is cutting out the media player when there is an incoming phone call (except for this last line that I am just trying out - not sure about that one).

Peter

Guest pedrojaime

Changing the following settings definitely seem to boost my overall phone performance (testing with Quadrant so far anyway), hope it helps you:

busybox renice 0 `pidof com.google.process.gapps`

busybox renice -20 `pidof com.android.phone`

busybox renice -19 `pidof mediaserver`

busybox renice -19 `pidof mediaserver`

busybox renice -16 `pidof com.android.launcher`

busybox renice -20 `pidof process.android.acore`

busybox renice -16 `pidof org.kreed.vanilla`

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

I get the FC (Process com.android.phone is not responding.) on the first booting right after flashing the ROM. And this happens on every other reboot.

I did a zipalign in Terminal emulator and this seems to have solved the FC problem.

Guest pedrojaime

I have outlined my testing results (freezing apps) and removing here: http://android.modac...01/page__st__20

Also, I have since noticed that If you must freeze Market (you're not interested in downloading anything else), ony freeze it and its dependent services in this order:

1. Market

2. Checkin service

3. Google Talk Service

and then defrost and reboot in reverse order to use it again.

I also realise now that Google Talk storage and Download Manager is good to always keep running. Finally, I no longer freeze two of the sync services: com.google.android.syncadaptors.contacts, synchronization. I freeze Account & Sync Settings once I have it setup to auto sync in the background all the time and this does not prevent sync from happening successfully.

The crucial apps which you must not uninstall or freeze (from my experience) are:

ADW Launcher (freeze/uninstall only if alternative launcher app installed)

Alarm

Android System

Calculator

Calendar

Calendar Storage

com.google.android.syncadaptors.contacts

contacts

contacts storage

dialer storage

download manager

gmail storage (freeze/uninstall only if alternative email app installed)

google apps

google mail (freeze/uninstall only if alternative email app installed)

google settings provider

google talk storage

market updater

media storage

messaging (can freeze or uninstall if you have alternative sms app installed)

package installer (if frozen will prevent installation of apps)

phone

settings

settings storage

sync feeds synchronization

Apps on my phone which I have frozen (but not uninstalled) are:

account and sync settings

bluetooth share

camera

bluetoothspp

com.android.providers.applications

com.android.providers.userdictionary

superuser (once your desired apps are given root access without further prompting, superuser can be frozen too!)

All the rest I uninstalled including touchpal and android keyboards but be sure to install an alternative keyboard before removing these. Also, once I have moved that cache to SD using terminal, I remove terminal too.

Hope this helps you,

Peter

Edited by pedrojaime

Guest ganker

I have the exact same issue. I did reflash same issue. I think ill just try again, but this time without a modifid .zip. I threw launcher 7 into mine. I like launcher7.

/ganker

Guest ganker

I have outlined my testing results (freezing apps) and removing here: http://android.modac...01/page__st__20

Also, I have since noticed that If you must freeze Market (you're not interested in downloading anything else), ony freeze it and its dependent services in this order:

1. Market

2. Checkin service

3. Google Talk Service

and then defrost and reboot in reverse order to use it again.

I also realise now that Google Talk storage and Download Manager is good to always keep running. Finally, I no longer freeze two of the sync services: com.google.android.syncadaptors.contacts, synchronization. I freeze Account & Sync Settings once I have it setup to auto sync in the background all the time and this does not prevent sync from happening successfully.

The crucial apps which you must not uninstall or freeze (from my experience) are:

ADW Launcher (freeze/uninstall only if alternative launcher app installed)

Alarm

Android System

Calculator

Calendar

Calendar Storage

com.google.android.syncadaptors.contacts

contacts

contacts storage

dialer storage

download manager

gmail storage (freeze/uninstall only if alternative email app installed)

google apps

google mail (freeze/uninstall only if alternative email app installed)

google settings provider

google talk storage

market updater

media storage

messaging (can freeze or uninstall if you have alternative sms app installed)

package installer (if frozen will prevent installation of apps)

phone

settings

settings storage

sync feeds synchronization

Apps on my phone which I have frozen (but not uninstalled) are:

account and sync settings

bluetooth share

camera

bluetoothspp

com.android.providers.applications

com.android.providers.userdictionary

superuser (once your desired apps are given root access without further prompting, superuser can be frozen too!)

All the rest I uninstalled including touchpal and android keyboards but be sure to install an alternative keyboard before removing these. Also, once I have moved that cache to SD using terminal, I remove terminal too.

Hope this helps you,

Peter

Nice list. thanks.

How can I install an apk from a stock rom to run on FTB rom? I've read on a few forums that it can be achieved using adb, but when I run adb it can't see my device. Any ideas how to make adb work with this rom?

How can I install an apk from a stock rom to run on FTB rom? I've read on a few forums that it can be achieved using adb, but when I run adb it can't see my device. Any ideas how to make adb work with this rom?

Got adb to work. Installing apk failed though. Maybe because the stock rom apks also come with a .odex file.

How can you install a2sd on a stock rom?

Guest twrock

Got adb to work. Installing apk failed though. Maybe because the stock rom apks also come with a .odex file.

How can you install a2sd on a stock rom?

You can't install apps that have been odexed. They would have to be "deodexed" first.

You can't install a2sd on a "stock rom". That is part of the whole modification process, making it possible to install a2sd. (But you can look into Link2SD; that is not as complicated to get working.)

Depending on how much time you are willing to spend learning how to do all of that, you probably can. I did, so it can't be that hard. ;)