Stock GB ROM release countdown....

Guest vulpy

Guest Anil K Solanki

I paid £430 for this phone when it first came out and all I want from it is for it to be stable and not reboot twice or more times per day and have a BSOD 2 to 3 times per week. It would also be nice for it not to need a reboot every now again (forced) to get rid of the poxy slowdown it inflicts on itself every now and again.

From a High End, Expensive, Flagship phone that should be the least anyone expects. Also if I am paying over £400 for a phone it shouldn't need the warranty voided because a custom Rom needs to be installed to make the phone usable. LG have failed big time with this device and I certainly will not be getting another one made by them. To top it all off I am being F*cked about by Superetrader who are now refusing to talk to me about it and think if they ignore me I am going to go away, they'll learn ;)

Also the fact that you paid £270 a short while after I paid £430 says a lot about this device and where it's headed. Before long it will be cheaper than a brand new HTC Desire (original), how sad is that.

G

Hi GroovyGrovesy, sorry to hear about your woes. I never buy anything before reading real user comments like the one's you will find here. That is a lesson I learned the hard way a while back.

For me ANDROID makes the phone, the hardware, and the software two separate and very different considerations. The major reason I got a O2X is because it is supported by Cyanogenmod. No Cyanogenmod support, then I look elsewhere. But the Cyanogenmod O2X users in this forum gave it the big thumbs up, so I bought it. And, it is really great, rock solid.

The fact that LG are slack as f**k comes as no surprise to me. LG, like SONY, and many many other hardware manufacturers are great at making hardware, but total novices when it comes to software. This the reason Apple took the portable music crown from SONY. Shite SONY software, simple.

Believe me when I say I feel your pain, but, what good is a warranty if the support isn't there? I tried the MIUI ROM yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised to find it to be damn bloody good. It is a total rip-off of Apple's iOS. But you gotta hand it to the dev team. They are doing an amazing job. A perfect ROM if you want things über beautiful & very simple, at least compared to stock ANDROID.

Same with Cyanogenmod, they are putting the likes of LG & HTC to shame. So do yourself a favour and flash another ROM, and start getting back that considerable amount of money you have already paid out. The only one losing out in this mess is you. Thankfully you have options other than LG.

Have fun. Anil

just flash topogigi's 1.6 over xda!

you'll got all you've paid for the hardware !

FM radio, Camera, A2DP all working!!

Fast as Fr18 and more stable than CM7.

It is base on 2.3.4 V20E, possibly the final and the last version LG would ever build for 2X.

I really really recommend everyone should flash this to their 2X !! You'll see after you have it your own. No more endless hoping and waiting..

Even CM7 can't match with it !!

topogigi's 1.6 try now!!!!!

Guest GroovyGrovesy

Anil,

Who said I haven't tried all the other Roms ;). What I said before still stands though

if I am paying over £400 for a phone it shouldn't need the warranty voided because a custom Rom needs to be installed to make the phone usable.
You wouldn't buy a car just to find out you have to install a new custom engine to make it usable, voiding the warranty in the process. When you buy something you expect it to work from the off. If you know it's gonna need lots of update because the device it practically a beta model then you shouldn't have to pay a premium for it.

Surely if you had done all the research you say you done then you would know it doesn't matter what Rom you are on the problems are still there and in some cases they are worse. You would also have come to the conclusion that these problems are almost certainly Hardware related and do not affect newer models.

You are right about MIUI, it does look fantastic with some Great little touches that make it look really polished but there are some other things that still need work before it is truly a great Rom, Also CM7 is great as it makes Android so much more 'tweakable' than anything any of the manufacturers will produce, which is what Android is all about.

Guest Anil K Solanki

Who said I haven't tried all the other Roms ;). What I said before still stands though You wouldn't buy a car just to find out you have to install a new custom engine to make it usable, voiding the warranty in the process. When you buy something you expect it to work from the off. If you know it's gonna need lots of update because the device it practically a beta model then you shouldn't have to pay a premium for it.

Then if you've have tried all the other ROM's your warranty is void.

Surely if you had done all the research you say you done then you would know it doesn't matter what Rom you are on the problems are still there and in some cases they are worse. You would also have come to the conclusion that these problems are almost certainly Hardware related and do not affect newer models.

I did do the research I said I did, check out my thread in this very forum (My Research). Also the problems you are talking about haven't appeared on my handset. I used the stock ROM for about 10 mins before flashing Cyanogenmod. Because that is the reason I bought it. Again, simple.

Your car analogy is again another example of where I don't expect anything. I bought my car after doing a lot of research. And it's still running like new 15 years later. Sure some folks get lemons now and then, that is life.

Anyway I'm off to enjoy my phone, that works just as my research said it would (Thanks Rusty!). Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest everett_psycho

I can see where grovesy is coming from, had i paid over £400 for this id be very annoyed at LG. Luckily i waited and got the same deal as anil and had a lot of user feedback from his thread to know what i was letting myself in for. Then again if i was going to spend over £400 on a phone i would have got an sgs2 instead. The saving grace of this phone though is that it does have some superb support from its community, LG have lucked out big time with the modders fixing their phone for them, if they hadn't i wouldn't have bought this, i just hope that next time round they use this experience and solve the problems without relying on people like Paul so phones like this can rival the likes of apple and the sgs2 in the mass market where people don't understand flashing roms

Guest Anil K Solanki

I can see where grovesy is coming from, had i paid over £400 for this id be very annoyed at LG. Luckily i waited and got the same deal as anil and had a lot of user feedback from his thread to know what i was letting myself in for. Then again if i was going to spend over £400 on a phone i would have got an sgs2 instead. The saving grace of this phone though is that it does have some superb support from its community, LG have lucked out big time with the modders fixing their phone for them, if they hadn't i wouldn't have bought this, i just hope that next time round they use this experience and solve the problems without relying on people like Paul so phones like this can rival the likes of apple and the sgs2 in the mass market where people don't understand flashing roms

Hi everett_psycho, I hope your enjoying your handset. What I find intriguing about grovesy's situation, is that he claims "all" ROM's have issues, sure nothing is perfect, but I don't have reboots, or the BSOD issue. Admittedly I have only tried two ROM's but my main ROM, Cyanogenmod is rock solid. So the only conclusion I can come to is, grovesy's hardware is at fault. Has nothing to do with ROM's, if the issue moves from ROM to ROM. What else can it be? Then you are left with pursuing the retailer. Which is why I'm glad I bought my handset from eXpansys (thanks to you), and I paid with my credit card.

Have fun. Anil

You're right, this thread is depressing reading. As a newbie I can only say I bought my phone 3 weeks ago, and its been no trouble whatsoever - striaght out of the box, with a few apps from the market, it does everything I want, no reboots, no crashes, nothing. Yes, eventually I'll go to gb, but i don't see any rush at all.

Guest Anil K Solanki

You're right, this thread is depressing reading. As a newbie I can only say I bought my phone 3 weeks ago, and its been no trouble whatsoever - striaght out of the box, with a few apps from the market, it does everything I want, no reboots, no crashes, nothing. Yes, eventually I'll go to gb, but i don't see any rush at all.

Hi wibbler, It's nice to hear from another happy O2X user. Ginger Bread is more advanced, but if you are happy where you are then simply enjoy it. The O2X is a fantastic device when you don't get a lemon. Perhaps the newer production units are less, err, lemony? I never really used the stock ROM in anger just played with it for 10 mins before flashing Cyanogenmod. So I don't know what unique features the LG ROM has. But there is a GB version of the stock ROM over at XDA.

It's a bummer some users got bum units, damn shame, so continue being happy and have fun.

Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest GroovyGrovesy
So the only conclusion I can come to is, grovesy's hardware is at fault. Has nothing to do with ROM's, if the issue moves from ROM to ROM. What else can it be?

Like I said in a previous post in this thread, this is definitely Hardware Related.

You would also have come to the conclusion that these problems are almost certainly Hardware related and do not affect newer models.

This is why I am pissed off (not with the phone, I love this phone when it's working), I have spent a lot of money and ended up with dud hardware. When LG sent it back and claimed there was nothing wrong with it they tried to claim my problem must be with my Sim card which is utter nonsense as I have tried multiple Sim cards from different networks, all of which had the same problems. They also said they Re-soldered some components on the main board, Why? there is no fault with it apparently!!!

Lessons learned though;

1. Don't buy something expensive when it is brand new to the market (I desperately needed a phone at that time and the O2X was the first of the Next Gen phones out at that time so it was the best I could get for my money)
  2. Don't buy ANYTHING from Superetrader ever again (it was the best deal available and was endorsed by Paul himself (Modaco Version) so did not foresee any problems).
  3. Don't buy another Phone from LG (like I said earlier the phone is great when it is freshly booted and running smooth but the whole GB issue is not acceptable, by the time it arrives we would have probably been waiting for about a year for a firmware that should have shipped on the phone in the first place. We was all led to believe the update would land a month or two after launch, what a joke.)

One lesson I have learned in the past though was to always buy expensive things with a credit card, and it's safe to say they will be getting a call from me on Monday to sort this issue with Superetrader out once and for all. They can ignore me all they like but they cant ignore MBNA's lawyers.

G

Guest RedeemerSK

I paid £430 for this phone when it first came out and all I want from it is for it to be stable and not reboot twice or more times per day and have a BSOD 2 to 3 times per week. It would also be nice for it not to need a reboot every now again (forced) to get rid of the poxy slowdown it inflicts on itself every now and again.

From a High End, Expensive, Flagship phone that should be the least anyone expects. Also if I am paying over £400 for a phone it shouldn't need the warranty voided because a custom Rom needs to be installed to make the phone usable. LG have failed big time with this device and I certainly will not be getting another one made by them. To top it all off I am being F*cked about by Superetrader who are now refusing to talk to me about it and think if they ignore me I am going to go away, they'll learn ;)

Also the fact that you paid £270 a short while after I paid £430 says a lot about this device and where it's headed. Before long it will be cheaper than a brand new HTC Desire (original), how sad is that.

G

Amen to that brother. I can totally feel your pain as that's just what happened to me. Let our wallets speak for that in the future !

Guest Anil K Solanki

Amen to that brother. I can totally feel your pain as that's just what happened to me. Let our wallets speak for that in the future !

Hi RedeemerSK, would you mind sharing some details about the issues you have been having? Could you include info such as the ROM you have been using, and when you purchased your handset?

Thanks in advance. Anil