[ROM] StreakDroid GingerStreak 2.4 Beta

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest maxicet

I've seemed to have run into a problem.

Currently my streak is stuck at the dell logo. I've attempted to boot up into fastboot and also to clockwork to try and load the rom, but i cannot access any of these menus.

Here's what I did.

1. I downloaded the rom and put it onto my phone.

2. I went into fastboot and loaded the amss and dsp1 files downloaded from the first post on this thread.

3. I did > fastboot reboot (instead of fastboot -i 0x413 reboot) but it went and rebooted.

4. Now, it wont go past the dell logo after a long time.

As a side affect, I cannot enter into fastboot either. Holding down the camera key and starting the phone does something, as my screen does not start up at all and there are no lights, but I cannot repower my phone on without pull out the battery, so I believe something is happening.

When I reboot holding the volume buttons down, the dell logo still pops up and my phone fails to load into clockwork recovery. I currently am unable to get into a recoverable state. Can anyone help? It would be greatly appreciated.

I was upgrading from fard streak_beta 2.3 r2 with the portrait lock mode.

Thanks again.

Like I said some posts ago, there's a random risk to also flash dsp1 file, now you have "simply" to use "streakflash" utility, then flash amss ONLY, then flash the streakmod recovery, then the rom.....

Don't worry, it works....

Guest Lloydie

ok folks i am reading the thread incase anyones thinking im not. i do need 3 or 4 SKILLED users to test a new kernel for me.....they must have good fastboot n adb/root explorer skills cheers also i suspect theirs a sleep issue somewhere in the ril services that im still needing to investigate aswell

Mr Hyde, the phone apk from your SD v2.0 works and looks much better than the one you are using now, I have attached the file to this post, please have a look at it.

The stk.apk keyboard is also very difficult to work with, could you please replace it with the keyboard.apk from Gingers Sister. I tried to upload both files....total 2.34Mb, without success. I can send them on to you if you want.

Edited by Lloydie

Guest jitin sharma

1.Try to flash stock 2.2.2 rom then flash two files from first post (amss and dsp1)

2. flash custom recovery then delete all caches

3. install this rom

4. hard reset on first dell screen

It should work fine because that is what I did and so far no problems that I could notice besides facebook and phone conflict. Most important no reboots going on two days now.

I came from SD1.9.1.............This is what i did :

* cleared cache and dalvik cache

* Factory reset (from First screen optn #1

* flashed dsp1 & amss

* flashed zip

* Cleared cache & dalvik cache

* factry reset.

* Let it boot , then again cleared all cache's and a factory reset.

and i installed it the day it released. ran smooth for 1day or so. then started unknown reboots and stilll continues

Edited by jitin sharma

Guest niallmoran

ok folks i am reading the thread incase anyones thinking im not. i do need 3 or 4 SKILLED users to test a new kernel for me.....they must have good fastboot n adb/root explorer skills cheers also i suspect theirs a sleep issue somewhere in the ril services that im still needing to investigate aswell

being skilled rules me out but if you need an end user (aka a numpty) to test let me know :D

Guest wavecxs

first, thanks to dj_steve and fards for providing this rom. I have been seeing this over at xda but i only got to try it 3 days ago.

report:

- wifi issue and the corresponding workaround (turning Wi-Fi sleep policy to "when screen turns off"). not a big deal, wifi doesn't seem to time out while using it, the issue only happens when you left the wifi on for a long time and then there seem to be no wifi activity (although the indicator says wifi is still on) when you come back to it.

- setcpu FCs after a reboot. sometimes the workaround is to uninstall/install it. I use setcpu to underclock when screen is off.

- no random reset for me.

- stability test ends after 2 days (that is, the phone haven't had any issue/reset). just today i long pressed the camera button and instead of the camera app loading, the phone just reboots.

- battery last a little over a day. usage are 4+ hours wifi, 2 hours music, 30 mins-1hour phone cal. 2+ hours multimedia (camera, games, movies, etc). I noticed the camera improved after doing battery stats reset after the first drain->charge sequence.

request:

- option for default portrait.

after the reboot (the first one in 2 days) all seems well again.

thanks again for the effort guys.

Edited by wavecxs

Guest florin0904

Hello

After testing the latest version of "Dj_Steve and fards" rom I can say I have not encountered major problems, the only problem was that I did have two sleeps of death (first was from WIFI because I was on the market looking for some applications after that I went out and I locked the phone but I forgot to disable WIFI and I wanted to recheck something but was too late i got the first sleep of death, after reading on the forum I found that if you set the WIFI to never sleep there will be no more problems, ok went to settings wifi settings set WIFI NEVER SLEEP locked the phone, when tried to unlock BANG another sleep of death, so i went to settings again and put the WIFI settings on the first option with screen turn off and it's been to days and no more sleeps of death.

The speed is great I had no problem with freeze or restart, the battery life is very good I think it's like BETA2 it's been 1 day and 7 hours and I have 40% battery left with (1 hour off phone calls,20 minutes online anime :D, another 20-minute games, web surfing about 20 minutes).

Thank you Dj_Steve and Fards for this Great Rom.

P.S. sorry for my english not so good.

Kind Regards, Florin

After doing some more research could it be that not the WIFI is making trouble with sleep of death, i beliave it's from rom modding, il do more reasearch.

Edited by florin0904

Guest zero410

Like I said some posts ago, there's a random risk to also flash dsp1 file, now you have "simply" to use "streakflash" utility, then flash amss ONLY, then flash the streakmod recovery, then the rom.....

Don't worry, it works....

T H A N K Y O U S I R!!!!!

It all worked as you said. Got a little mixed up with the qdttool and streakflash, but its all good now! Thanks a BUNDLE!

On a side note, the portrait lock file that worked for ginger streak 2.3b2 also seems to work with this build as well if anyone is trying it!

Guest angel008

On a side note, the portrait lock file that worked for ginger streak 2.3b2 also seems to work with this build as well if anyone is trying it!

I tried to install that zip file over SD2.4 (10/15/11 build) it locks you to portrait orientation but after unplugging it from charger and the screen times out it will shut down. you may need to remove the battery and then place it again and press the power button to turn it on again.

Guest pompeyboyz

Have had this ROM installed for nearly 2 weeks at least now and I can definitely say this is far more stable than Fards was. I had to revert back to 1.9.1 from fards due to memory issues, crashes and FC's but this is not showing those issues.

Since installing, I had the slight flashing home buttons that was easily rectified with a reflash of dsp1 and amss. I do get the occasional random reboot(but never when I am using the phone only while idle). I notice these are mostly after using Doggcatcher.

Battery life is amazing, as I can get away with not bringing my cable to work to charge up. I am still using this as before so this is unbelievable. I can actually keep wifi on now 24/7. I do about 2 hours listening to podcasts/music, 1 hour phone time, loads of browsing and stuff as have rss reader on to auto pull new feeds and have live weather wallpaper and widgets always on.

I do get an occasional wifi lock up where it shows active burt is not connected(seen about setting wifi not sleeping to fix this).

Only thing I miss from 1.9.1 is the 140 dpi as opposed to 160.(is this changable?)

Guest Azurren

I would love to help ;)

I'm fine with fast-boot (with instructions) I've never actually used ADB :unsure:

Although if you provided instruction like: "adb push app-private /system/sd/app-private" instead of "Push this apk" I could easily follow it :D

Guest Technomenon81

Hello

After testing the latest version of "Dj_Steve and fards" rom I can say I have not encountered major problems, the only problem was that I did have two sleeps of death (first was from WIFI because I was on the market looking for some applications after that I went out and I locked the phone but I forgot to disable WIFI and I wanted to recheck something but was too late i got the first sleep of death, after reading on the forum I found that if you set the WIFI to never sleep there will be no more problems, ok went to settings wifi settings set WIFI NEVER SLEEP locked the phone, when tried to unlock BANG another sleep of death, so i went to settings again and put the WIFI settings on the first option with screen turn off and it's been to days and no more sleeps of death.

The speed is great I had no problem with freeze or restart, the battery life is very good I think it's like BETA2 it's been 1 day and 7 hours and I have 40% battery left with (1 hour off phone calls,20 minutes online anime :D, another 20-minute games, web surfing about 20 minutes).

Thank you Dj_Steve and Fards for this Great Rom.

P.S. sorry for my english not so good.

Kind Regards, Florin

After doing some more research could it be that not the WIFI is making trouble with sleep of death, i beliave it's from rom modding, il do more reasearch.

I have the same issue (and it's the only issue I've ever had with this and the previous 2.xx builds). No matter what I have the wifi sleep policy on, eventually I get the sleep of death. Furthermore, during the last 24 hours I've been having issues with my data connection. While it shows full bars, the HSDPA icon and the in/out arrows (transmitting/receiving data), nothing is actually happening, whether in an app or in the browser.

Guest jyokota

I love this rom.. So glad you're back.

Unfortunately, I had to revert back. I'm not sure if this was just a fluke but when a spontaneous reboot occurs, it returns as a factory reset. I've set up my device two times (initial standard Android screens, reinstalling apps from Market). Strange. Very strange.

Looking forward to next rev.

I would love to help ;)

I'm fine with fast-boot (with instructions) I've never actually used ADB :unsure:

Although if you provided instruction like: "adb push app-private /system/sd/app-private" instead of "Push this apk" I could easily follow it :D

I'm in the same position as Azurren . Would love to help. I can follow instructions, but not an adb whiz.

Guest Slaydog

As far as the wifi issues, I have Tasker set to check to see if my home wifi is near every time I unlock the screen. If so it connects, if not it shuts wifi off. Keeps wifi usage automatically about 2-3% of battery per day, also seems to stop this issue, as wifi is freshly connected each time.

Guest Fone_Fanatic

Steve, did you use a user-agent string patch?

I can't seem to get the browser to go to mobile mode, even after changing the UASTRING to Android.

I usually do browse in desktop mode but i'm attempting to install the latest swype beta and i'm getting an error (There was a data error, likely do too a bad network connection. Please try again.).

According to their site, its due to the custom rom using a 'user-agent string patch'. Any idea on how i can get around this? Do i have to edit the framework-res.apk?

Guest aaronlkh

I must express my gratitude to Steve and Fards for cooking up such a stable ROM! It's such a great improvement over the stock Froyo 2.2.

Shortly before trying 2.4, I flashed my Streak for the first time with 2.3b2 which was certainly stable enough for day-to-day use. I think I did factory reset when flashing to 2.3b2 but didn't do so with 2.4 as I thought both are based on Gingerbread 2.3.3.

While 2.4 ironed out some issues in 2.3b2, it's missing a few good apps, especially the screen calibration tool and clocksyn. I downloaded and installed the latter from the market but couldn't find the former.

Apart from that, the only problem I have is random reboots which sometimes happen consecutively for 2-3 times. Mostly happened when I was using Bluetooth audio while running other apps, even after receiving phone calls. I've tested receiving phone calls with Bluetooth off and no reboot occurred. Still trying to figure out the regularity and will post my subsequent findings.

I don't have the Wifi problem which has been mentioned by many in this this forum. GPS has been good except that I can no longer toggle it on and off using a widget. That, as I understand, is a "feature" of Gingerbread. It's hardly a problem.

Not sure whether the random reboot problem can be solved by factory reset. Perhaps I'll do so when I'm flashing the next version.

As for making the default orientation portrait, this one works like a charm!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1084850&highlight=gingerstreak+2.4&page=17#168

Edited by aaronlkh

Guest aaronlkh

Oh forgot 2 minor issues:

1. There are short pauses (no sound) while playing music with stock app (haven't tried other apps) through Bluetooth. Will try without Bluetooth.
  2. Playing avi video files from SD card isn't as smooth and responsive as on stock Froyo 2.2 ROM. But surprisingly streaming the same video files from my Serviio server (via Wifi) is as good as before. I'm using RockPlayer and have tried other players and the results are the same.
Edited by aaronlkh

Guest Virtu300

Coming from 360, flashed both amss and dsp1 with exact steps as yours, except step 17.

I cannot reproduce the problem though, no matter the state of wireless activations before activating wifi hotspot. Turned on with wifi on, no problem. Turned on with wifi off, no problem. Turned on with bluetooth on, no problem. Do you have any other device attempting to connect immediately after you turn on the wifi hotspot? Are you running stock launcher?

I did reflash with the 360 pkg, but same result.

I even tried QDL Tool, Latest Streakmod Recovery, AMSS, DSP1, and the 2.4 PKG on the 1st page of this thread.

With stock launcher, nothing installed, full factory reset done, all the cachce, dalvik stuff done.

Click on the USB or WiFi Tether option, and phone reboots, tether UI is gone.

The tether function is 100% functional with 2.2. Just 2.3 doesn't seem to agree with my lil ol' Dell Streak. :-(

Guest zsolti222

well if people think they can manage fastboot and copying/pushing files pm me and ill let ya have links for kernel -

What new in the test kernel your talking about?

Guest Azurren

What new in the test kernel your talking about?

It's a modified "beta" kernel with a few extra goodies compiled ;)

I'm sure you can guess what..

It's as stable as the current rom but hasn't touched on the Wifi / maps issue.

I expect it could be released as-is now or he may want to hold back the next release to see if he can't fix the current issues :)

Thanks to DJSteve and to Fards for this.

Thanks, too, to @Azurren and others who posted helpful guides and advice.

The installation really boils down to reading comprehension. Which is my case means reading, re-reading and reading again.

I have no issues to report, there may be a few niggles but I am not convinced that they are due to the rom. Battery life seems better too.

As others have said, this is the best rom yet. Having just read @Azurren's post it could be that the best is yet to come.

Guest kidrock23

Need some help.

I have made changes to the resources.asrc file to enable CRT animation using steps provided on XDA. This part went well.

However I am unable to move the file in the framework-res.apk file using any zip utility. Winrar says corrupt zip file.

Any help would be appreciated. It worked on Beta 2 (fards) but was very slow due to driver issues.

Thanks in advance.

Guest Azurren

Need some help.

I have made changes to the resources.asrc file to enable CRT animation using steps provided on XDA. This part went well.

However I am unable to move the file in the framework-res.apk file using any zip utility. Winrar says corrupt zip file.

Any help would be appreciated. It worked on Beta 2 (fards) but was very slow due to driver issues.

Thanks in advance.

Not to sure about editing with framework files yet "7zip" is probably a much better alternative than "winrar" (And truly free)