[ROM] StreakDroid GingerStreak 2.4 Beta

Guest Stephen Hyde

Guest maxicet

Need some help.

I have made changes to the resources.asrc file to enable CRT animation using steps provided on XDA. This part went well.

However I am unable to move the file in the framework-res.apk file using any zip utility. Winrar says corrupt zip file.

Any help would be appreciated. It worked on Beta 2 (fards) but was very slow due to driver issues.

Thanks in advance.

I tried 3 days ago, it works but it is slow...:(

Edited by maxicet

Guest angel008

It's a modified "beta" kernel with a few extra goodies compiled ;)

I'm sure you can guess what..

It's as stable as the current rom but hasn't touched on the Wifi / maps issue.

I expect it could be released as-is now or he may want to hold back the next release to see if he can't fix the current issues :)

can't wait to see that new rom

I must express my gratitude to Steve and Fards for cooking up such a stable ROM! It's such a great improvement over the stock Froyo 2.2.

Apart from that, the only problem I have is random reboots which sometimes happen consecutively for 2-3 times. Mostly happened when I was using Bluetooth audio while running other apps, even after receiving phone calls. I've tested receiving phone calls with Bluetooth off and no reboot occurred. Still trying to figure out the regularity and will post my subsequent findings.

I don't have the Wifi problem which has been mentioned by many in this this forum. GPS has been good except that I can no longer toggle it on and off using a widget. That, as I understand, is a "feature" of Gingerbread. It's hardly a problem.

Not sure whether the random reboot problem can be solved by factory reset. Perhaps I'll do so when I'm flashing the next version.

Hi,

I allways have BT on, since I use a BT headset for all calls (currently the Blueant Q2), so I'm apreensive because of your reboots with BT on. Was this solved with a reflash? Could post and update to this situation?

Do any other BT headset addicts using this rom have the same issue as aronlkh?

Thanks

Guest Fone_Fanatic

Ok, I solved my issue of the browser not going into mobile mode, which caused not being able to download apps from getjar, and downloading latest swype update (was getting 'There was a data error, likely due to a bad network connection. Please try again.')

I simply edited the web_user_agent string in the /res/values/strings.xml within framework-res.apk to "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Dell Streak Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1"

Here is how to apply this fix:

1. Download this framework-res.apk to your device

2. Using root explorer copy the downloaded file and navigate to /system/framework

3. Rename the original (one already there) framework-res.apk to framework-res.apk.bak [basically we're just adding .bak extension so you have a backup of the original incase you want to revert or something goes wrong] (its normal for some apps to FC at this point)

4. Paste the framework-res.apk file you downloaded, tap and hold it and select permissions. You want to set the permissions to 'rw-r--r--' that means have Read & Write boxes checked for owner, and only the Read box checked for Group and Others, it should look like this (but say framework-res.apk; image was pulled from a google search): SC20111013-105839.png

5. Reboot :D

Keep in mind, getting some FCs when you rename the original framework-res.apk is normal. Also you could do this with adb push/pull if you don't have root explorer.

Now your browser will be in 'mobile' mode by default. To switch to desktop mode do the following:

1. Enter "about:debug" in the adress bar

2. Menu->More->Settings->UAString (all the way at the bottom)

3. select which mode you'd like to browse in :D

To revert to original. Simply use root explorer to navigate to /services/framework delete framework-res.apk and rename framework-res.apk.bak to framework-res.apk (remove the .bak extension we added earlier). Confirm permissions are 'rw-r--r--' and reboot.

Edited by Fone_Fanatic

Guest Azurren

Hi,

I allways have BT on, since I use a BT headset for all calls (currently the Blueant Q2), so I'm apreensive because of your reboots with BT on. Was this solved with a reflash? Could post and update to this situation?

Thanks

I've not had any issues with my bluetooth "mp3 player"

Give it a try, follow my mini how-to flash guide and see how it goes, you could always go back :)

Guest Spencershaun

I use bt (a2dp) to stream music to my car stero if u dont have 1 get 1 never skips a beat when going over them bloody pot holes. When i flashed this rom i did get a bt error i made a nandroid of 191 went back to that bt was working so i flashed 2.4 again and no issues @ all with BT thought u mite want to give that a try smile.gif

Hi,

Thanks

Guest ThinkinBig

Hi,

Thanks

I've had no issues at all with BT and have been using my Sony Ericson Live View almost from day 1

Guest ThinkinBig

Ok, I solved my issue of the browser not going into mobile mode, which caused not being able to download apps from getjar, and downloading latest swype update (was getting 'There was a data error, likely due to a bad network connection. Please try again.')

I simply edited the web_user_agent string in the framework-res.apk to "Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Dell Streak Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1"

Download this framework-res.apk to replace the one in /system/framework and set the proper permissions 'rw-r--r--'

Now does this apk just correct the problem with mobile view not working ie: you can now switch from desktop to mobile and back again or does it permenately put you in mobile view?

Guest zsolti222

It's a modified "beta" kernel with a few extra goodies compiled ;)

I'm sure you can guess what..

It's as stable as the current rom but hasn't touched on the Wifi / maps issue.

I expect it could be released as-is now or he may want to hold back the next release to see if he can't fix the current issues :)

Overclocking?

You could just tell us :unsure:

Edited by zsolti222

Guest Fone_Fanatic

Now does this apk just correct the problem with mobile view not working ie: you can now switch from desktop to mobile and back again or does it permenately put you in mobile view?

It sets the default to mobile view and allows you to change to desktop view. Before applying this 'fix' it was stuck in desktop mode. Even after changing the browser settings to mobile view, it would still be in desktop mode.

I'll update the previous post with more detail in how to apply the fix.

Guest scoop_987

Hi, Thanks for the rom mate and looks rather smooth from what I can use. I have a problem though but no idea whether its hardware based or software based but I can get about 5 mins usage then the phone will just reboot. I have a small portion of the logcat that gives me alot of mem addresses and the such.

V/NFC     (  724): this device does not have NFC support

V/PrintK  (   18): smd_restart_modem...

W/PrintK  (  112): <4>------------[ cut here ]------------

W/PrintK  (  112): <4>WARNING: at /autobuild/AustinBuild_110921_kt_evt3_austin_gb_V4.05/dev/android/kernel/arch/arm/mach-msm/clock-pcom.c:78 pc_clk_disable+0x58/0xc0()

W/PrintK  (  112): <d>Modules linked in:

V/PrintK  (  112): 

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c003545c>] (unwind_backtrace+0x0/0x164) from [<c0079078>] (warn_slowpath_common+0x4c/0x64)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c0079078>] (warn_slowpath_common+0x4c/0x64) from [<c00790a8>] (warn_slowpath_null+0x18/0x1c)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c00790a8>] (warn_slowpath_null+0x18/0x1c) from [<c003ec08>] (pc_clk_disable+0x58/0xc0)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c003ec08>] (pc_clk_disable+0x58/0xc0) from [<c003d570>] (clk_disable+0x18/0x1c)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c003d570>] (clk_disable+0x18/0x1c) from [<c003c790>] (msm_dmov_clk_toggle+0x48/0x68)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c003c790>] (msm_dmov_clk_toggle+0x48/0x68) from [<c003c8bc>] (timer_func+0x58/0xa8)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c003c8bc>] (timer_func+0x58/0xa8) from [<c008456c>] (run_timer_softirq+0x1ac/0x270)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c008456c>] (run_timer_softirq+0x1ac/0x270) from [<c007ebc4>] (__do_softirq+0x70/0xf8)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c007ebc4>] (__do_softirq+0x70/0xf8) from [<c007ec90>] (irq_exit+0x44/0xa8)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c007ec90>] (irq_exit+0x44/0xa8) from [<c002e074>] (asm_do_IRQ+0x74/0x94)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c002e074>] (asm_do_IRQ+0x74/0x94) from [<c002eb4c>] (__irq_svc+0x4c/0x88)

W/PrintK  (  112): Exception stack(0xdc5d1b80 to 0xdc5d1bc8)

W/PrintK  (  112): 1b80: 00000002 dc5d1f5c 00000001 df042274 df042260 00000000 dc5d1bf4 dc5d1e58

W/PrintK  (  112): 1ba0: 00000000 00000000 dc5d1e50 100ffec0 00000001 dc5d1bc8 c00f7bb0 c00e9ad4

W/PrintK  (  112): 1bc0: 60000013 ffffffff

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c002eb4c>] (__irq_svc+0x4c/0x88) from [<c00e9ad4>] (fget_light+0x94/0xec)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c00e9ad4>] (fget_light+0x94/0xec) from [<c00f7bb0>] (do_sys_poll+0x1e0/0x3a8)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c00f7bb0>] (do_sys_poll+0x1e0/0x3a8) from [<c00f7f9c>] (sys_poll+0x5c/0xbc)

W/PrintK  (  112): [<c00f7f9c>] (sys_poll+0x5c/0xbc) from [<c002f000>] (ret_fast_syscall+0x0/0x30)

W/PrintK  (  112): <4>---[ end trace e3cde4d4183c9583 ]---

I/ActivityManager(  158): Displayed com.android.settings/.WirelessSettings: +471ms

Anyone got any clue on what this relates to?

Guest Azurren

Hi, Thanks for the rom mate and looks rather smooth from what I can use. I have a problem though but no idea whether its hardware based or software based but I can get about 5 mins usage then the phone will just reboot. I have a small portion of the logcat that gives me alot of mem addresses and the such.

Anyone got any clue on what this relates to?

You probably didn't follow the correct procedure before / while flashing the rom. Check back through this topic for the mini flashing guide I wrote (Or just search through my posts to find it faster ;))

Good luck!

Guest aaronlkh

Thanks guys for all the comments!

I found out that the reboots occur with or without BT (a2dp) so it has nothing to do with the BT. But it occurs far more often when I'm listening to music. The next thing that I'm going to try is to use a different music player.

The music pausing issue has been resolved by increasing the SD cache to 256. The video performance also improved somewhat. Will try 512 and see how it goes.

Currently it reboots only when listening to music so it's not a big problem. I'll do a clean flash when the new ROM comes. :P

I use bt (a2dp) to stream music to my car stero if u dont have 1 get 1 never skips a beat when going over them bloody pot holes. When i flashed this rom i did get a bt error i made a nandroid of 191 went back to that bt was working so i flashed 2.4 again and no issues @ all with BT thought u mite want to give that a try smile.gif

Guest mellojoe

Has anybody had any issues with the flash on the camera not working? I've just noticed that mine doesn't come on anymore.

Never mind. False alarm.

Edited by mellojoe

Guest Fone_Fanatic

Has anybody had any issues with the flash on the camera not working? I've just noticed that mine doesn't come on anymore.

Never mind. False alarm.

How'd you get it to work? mine won't turn on :( LED works fine with Tiny Flashlight + LED app.

How'd you get it to work? mine won't turn on :( LED works fine with Tiny Flashlight + LED app.

Not that I use it, but I can confirm flash doesn't work in native camera app nor third party camera app like 360.

It works with flash led widget as a flashlight tho.

Edit: nevermind it works! Since I never used it, didn't know the flash light turns on ONLY when u take a pic

Edited by timmui

Guest Papi-jj

Not that I use it, but I can confirm flash doesn't work in native camera app nor third party camera app like 360.

It works with flash led widget as a flashlight tho.

I use camera360,vingette, and stock camera and flash works fine for me.

Guest alert_bri

Well, my up time is now over 90hrs with this ROM... This is by far the most stable ROM we've had for the Streak.

Bravo Steve, fards and all involved.

Brian

Guest florin0904

To fix the flash problem you need to go to all applicatin enter the camera application and click clear data. I just did this and now it's working fine.

Guest Papi-jj

I had a weird problem today. Never happened to me before. Watching a flash video online then when I tried to back out, the menu,home, and back stop working. They didn't even light up. I was able to maneuver to settings to force close some apps, but nothing worked. I had to reboot the phone to get it working properly. Hope it does not happen again. ;-)

Guest markdexter

Had a strange problem with facebook, i would start the app, it would sit there, with the blue bar across the top, no text anywhere, and just the circular loading icon centre of screen.

I removed the app via titanium backup, then reinstalled it from the market, still had same problem, i also cleared data, and uninstalled any updates.

still same problem?

any ideas?

Guest ashleyhorsley

Had a strange problem with facebook, i would start the app, it would sit there, with the blue bar across the top, no text anywhere, and just the circular loading icon centre of screen.

I removed the app via titanium backup, then reinstalled it from the market, still had same problem, i also cleared data, and uninstalled any updates.

still same problem?

any ideas?

This is a problem with the facebook application I believe - I have exactly the same issue. If you uninstall the updates then it works fine.

There are various bad reviews on the facebook application from users all experiencing the same. Don't think its a streak issue at all!

Thanks for all the repplyes regarding the my BT questions. I'm going to follow the tutorials here and try out this rom this weekend. I'll post feedback when I have it up and running.