Ice Cream Sandwich

Guest c3n9

Guest t0mm13b

Here's my laptop details:

Toshiba Satellite 4070CDS - C 366 MHz -

RAM 64 MB - HDD 4 GB - CD - Cyber 9525

- Puppy Linux - 13" DSTN 800 x 600 ( SVGA )

Cute spec, puppy linux must really fly on that, and no, am not being sarcastic.

Have you tried slitaz? - that blew me away! :)

www.developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/hardware-accel.html

Which number apis do we have for

gingerbread??

Can just hardware acceleration be enabled on

gingerbread for the UI?

Edited by l2azor

Guest t0mm13b

www.developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/hardware-accel.html

Which number apis do we have for

gingerbread??

Can just hardware acceleration be enabled on

gingerbread for the UI?

:huh:

Why are you repeating post #64 again?

IIRC Hardware acceleration under Gingerbread is non existant as per this blog posting by Romain Guy, another Android Guru.

To quote as per within the comments section:

It is very naive to think that using the GPU to render text and bitmaps is suddenly going to fix every issue you may see. There are *many* things that can be done to improve performance of the UI without using the GPU. Notably improving touch events dispatching, reducing garbage collection pauses, asynchronous operations to avoid blocking the UI thread, etc. A one year old NexusOne (and other devices before) is perfectly capable of scrolling a list at close to 60fps (limited by the display’s refresh rate.) Using GPUs to do 2D rendering can introduce other types of inefficiencies (fillrate can be an issue, some primitives like arbitrary shapes are complicated to render with antialiasing, textures need to be uploaded, shaders compiled, etc.) I am not saying we won’t do GPU rendering for the UI (I have worked on it myself a couple of times to test it) but please stop assuming that this is what has to be done *right now*.

There's your answer, btw, this took 5 seconds flat to search on google, using "Hardware Acceleration Gingerbread" which pointed to a thread on XDA, which in turn, homed in on Romain's blog entry about it! :)

Edited by t0mm13b

Cute spec, puppy linux must really fly on that, and no, am not being sarcastic.

Have you tried slitaz? - that blew me away! :)

Never tried it but ill give it a go :)

:huh:

Why are you repeating post #64 again?

IIRC Hardware acceleration under Gingerbread is non existant as per this blog posting by Romain Guy, another Android Guru.

To quote as per within the comments section:

There's your answer, btw, this took 5 seconds flat to search on google, using "Hardware Acceleration Gingerbread" which pointed to a thread on XDA, which in turn, homed in on Romain's blog entry about it! :)

lol..the latest blog entry dates to 12 june 2011... i guess lots of new stuff has happened since then...new findings ,optimisations and all that.. btw thanks..

Guest t0mm13b

lol..the latest blog entry dates to 12 june 2011... i guess lots of new stuff has happened since then...new findings ,optimisations and all that.. btw thanks..

You sound insistent that GPU/hardware acceleration will solve a lot of problems...quite frankly the comment hits home on romain's blog and hits the nail on the head.

Doubt there would be "lots of new stuff has happened since then...new findings, optimisations...".

The core thing to remember, is all of those "issues" are hard to detect, some handsets would yield the issues, others don't... some have faster GPU's, others have not-so-fast GPU's, kernel build, version, what drivers, types of configuration options used, board configuration, the factors are there, what apps running, what ROM used, battery, types of governors etc...not to mention end user perception of "fast/slow" ROM.

The varying sources are scattered about between Google AOSP, CAF, CM7, to name but a few. Now factor in the speed of the chipsets that has risen in the last year or so, the issues may not show because the handsets are running "too fast", what with obsession with clock speed and overclocking and all that, screen refresh rates etc, that makes it a lot more harder to track down the root of it and stamp out the "slowness", "graphics lag" etc... And this brings home the point that hardware acceleration is not the magic bullet for all of this, and it could in effect, "hide the issues"...

Best bet is to google around and see if you can find changelogs on the differences with each gingerbread version.

My bet, judging by ICS and comments surrounding it, Google seems to have nailed it, so who knows, maybe it could be backported into GB to get the "smooth" factor...?

Just wait and see :)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b

P.S: Re Post #81. I am not making excuses for Android's weak performance factors there where the scrolling/lag/issues are there. It's a lot more complicated than that :) Oh, and throw in there, the fact that some manufacturers will not disclose drivers due to "copyright", "intellectual property" etc, take Zte for example ;) Not exactly "Open" is it?

Edited by t0mm13b

I have a gaming PC, and I could convince my dad to develop ics when all the stuff is out..:D he does the miui ROMS on the acer liquid side sometimes

Edited by weeo

Guest iKrautDroid

lol

You're dad gets it...

My dad is convinced the amazon Kindle (the one with the keyboard is best device ever...

btw, he uses a samsung netbook with an atom.

And dont get me started about my mom...

lol

You're dad gets it...

My dad is convinced the amazon Kindle (the one with the keyboard is best device ever...

btw, he uses a samsung netbook with an atom.

And dont get me started about my mom...

what?I was only tryna help ;-)

Edited by weeo

Guest sej7278

if the ics build specs are realistic, then i think its going to kill the community.

i mean how many people have 24gb with 8+ cores and large ssd's? i can build cm7.1.0 with my 12gb quad-core box in 10-15mins with my ccache on the ssd and the source on a hdd and i consider that a pretty high-end machine (i could move the source to the ssd to speed it up a bit).

even the cm-devs have said its going to be problematic finding a buildbot server with enough grunt.

methinks the spec is either crap (like that's to build for every device in aosp, not just one, including compiling the kernel and gapps etc.) or google have outsourced their android devs to some sweatshop where there is no concept of optimisation.

Guest unrandomsam

if the ics build specs are realistic, then i think its going to kill the community.

i mean how many people have 24gb with 8+ cores and large ssd's? i can build cm7.1.0 with my 12gb quad-core box in 10-15mins with my ccache on the ssd and the source on a hdd and i consider that a pretty high-end machine (i could move the source to the ssd to speed it up a bit).

even the cm-devs have said its going to be problematic finding a buildbot server with enough grunt.

methinks the spec is either crap (like that's to build for every device in aosp, not just one, including compiling the kernel and gapps etc.) or google have outsourced their android devs to some sweatshop where there is no concept of optimisation.

Might be best to just use amazon EC2 for builds.

(Or hacking the build system to build serially shouldn't be too difficult).

Edited by unrandomsam

Guest deksman2

You sound insistent that GPU/hardware acceleration will solve a lot of problems...quite frankly the comment hits home on romain's blog and hits the nail on the head.

Doubt there would be "lots of new stuff has happened since then...new findings, optimisations...".

The core thing to remember, is all of those "issues" are hard to detect, some handsets would yield the issues, others don't... some have faster GPU's, others have not-so-fast GPU's, kernel build, version, what drivers, types of configuration options used, board configuration, the factors are there, what apps running, what ROM used, battery, types of governors etc...not to mention end user perception of "fast/slow" ROM.

The varying sources are scattered about between Google AOSP, CAF, CM7, to name but a few. Now factor in the speed of the chipsets that has risen in the last year or so, the issues may not show because the handsets are running "too fast", what with obsession with clock speed and overclocking and all that, screen refresh rates etc, that makes it a lot more harder to track down the root of it and stamp out the "slowness", "graphics lag" etc... And this brings home the point that hardware acceleration is not the magic bullet for all of this, and it could in effect, "hide the issues"...

Best bet is to google around and see if you can find changelogs on the differences with each gingerbread version.

My bet, judging by ICS and comments surrounding it, Google seems to have nailed it, so who knows, maybe it could be backported into GB to get the "smooth" factor...?

Just wait and see :)

The thing is that the Adreno200 GPU we have in our Blades is more than capable of drawing a 2D UI at well over 35FPS.

I don't buy the high hardware requirements for ICS because I think that's mostly determined for the market and to encourage people to get new phones and spend more cash.

Optimizations can be done on the CPU alone to get the smooth FPS in UI... the GPU optimization would have to be done separately yes, but I doubt it's impossible.

Guest Mushroom_Lord

Well, I reckon we might get it eventually, though I fear by that time, many people will have moved on from the blade (like myself, after smashing the screen...)

Guest deksman2

Well, I reckon we might get it eventually, though I fear by that time, many people will have moved on from the blade (like myself, after smashing the screen...)

Possible, but I would surmise that we can get ICS port before the end of this year, or at the latest, early next year.

I doubt many people would move away from the Blade in that time span.

The community is relatively solid, and it might be a while before people collectively leave the device... but it's still 'relatively new' to the market, and if we take into account the possibility how people might actually decide to keep the device for well over a year (up to 2 years), then it stands to reason that the modding community could hold for at least that amount of time as well.

One other thing... people would have little incentive to move beyond the Blade too fast if the phone is working fine and the ROM they have is responsive, does what they want/need, etc.

I just recently got myself a 16GB SDHC card and placed it into my Blade.

I now have a relatively large amount of storage on the phone which I can use for lots of things on the go (including adventure scifi games from the 90-ies that actually make you think as opposed to the majority of 'games' available for Android).

The only thing I'd really need now is for the GPU to completely take over the 2D drawing (because that would eliminate the lag when viewing picture heavy documents/websites, etc.).

I've had my Blade for just over 8 months actually, and I can tell you that I plan on using it for at least another year before I leaving it (unless I find something better in the meantime for a relatively affordable price - but I would only do so for the purpose of moving on to a larger screen such as 4.3", and hardware that's a lot better compared to the Blade with a decent battery life - the Skate for example fits the bill more or less, but it's hardware capabilities are marginally better than the Blade - the CPU being the main 'issue').