CWM error: Thoughts?

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

i dont no but shurely doing a rom dump would show something.maybe not.

If you tell me how to do that, without root, I'll do it and upload it tomorrow. For the meantime, I'll execute "df" and see what I get :-)

Guest wrtease

i dont have any idea on how its done ,you did not have this kind of problem with your old OMC so whats different ,is it because its newer than original and now has a new nand,i am only guessing.

Guest glossywhite

type 'cat /proc/mtd' from adb and see what it says

Could someone do likewise on a freshly TPT'd OMC, and post here for comparison? Thanks

This is from my (problematic in CWM) OMC, which won't allow me to flash boot.img!

$ cat /proc/mtd

dev:	size   erasesize  name

mtd0: 00600000 00020000 "recovery"

mtd1: 00400000 00020000 "boot"

mtd2: 00180000 00020000 "splash"

mtd3: 00080000 00020000 "misc"

mtd4: 03980000 00020000 "cache"

mtd5: 0dc00000 00020000 "system"

mtd6: 0a280000 00020000 "userdata"

mtd7: 00100000 00020000 "oem"

mtd8: 00180000 00020000 "persist"

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

try using this version http://android.modac...ockworkmod-gui/

if i remember right we had trouble getting a clean rom dump of the 2.3.5 rom until this version woz used...

worth a try smile.gif

Okay... so how does one get into this version of CWM, once it is flashed in... :-/

[EDIT]

My fault! Flashed the blade version! LOL! sorry!

RIGHT. WHAT DO I DO TO DUMP? DO A BACKUP?

Edited by glossywhite

Guest Sebastian404

$ cat /proc/mtd
dev: size erasesize name
mtd0: 00600000 00020000 "recovery"
mtd1: 00400000 00020000 "boot"
mtd2: 00180000 00020000 "splash"
mtd3: 00080000 00020000 "misc"
mtd4: 03980000 00020000 "cache"
mtd5: 0dc00000 00020000 "system"
mtd6: 0a280000 00020000 "userdata"
mtd7: 00100000 00020000 "oem"
mtd8: 00180000 00020000 "persist"[/code]

that is as it should be...

however I'm some what lost as to what your trying to do, you've managed to flash superboot and now are having problems with clockwork mod recovery?

Guest glossywhite

that is as it should be...

however I'm some what lost as to what your trying to do, you've managed to flash superboot and now are having problems with clockwork mod recovery?

Yes. Right.

Guest t0mm13b

Try reformatting the boot partition again, boot into the bootloader and issue this

fastboot erase boot

Then try flashing to the boot partition again:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

just got my replacement, going to see if i get any off this hassle... (fingers crossed) smile.gif

EDIT: all went fine...

i would try the above wink.gif

Edited by tillaz

Guest glossywhite

I would flash the stock omc tpt image and then try installing CWM.

Try reformatting the boot partition again, boot into the bootloader and issue this

fastboot erase boot

Then try flashing to the boot partition again:

fastboot flash boot boot.img

If you read back through the thread, I already tried both those ideas, multiple times.

Thanks.

[EDIT]

Just used the "dd" command to create some dummy (all zeroes) boot images, ranging from 3.3Mb to 4.0Mb, in 100Kb increments, to see at which size the flash fails. Will report back...

Okay, bad idea. They're not boot images :P

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

when you try to install bluemonte 1.8 dose it successfully write the system then fail when writing the boot ?

i may have an idea...

Will try and get back to you :)

[uPDATE]

Okay, it installed "OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05: Stock ROM for the Orange Monte Carlo" ZIP no problem. Fine.

Gonna try BlueMonte 1.8b now...

[uPDATE 2]

Okay. When I try to install BlueMonte 1.8b, it successfully writes /system, yes, and then borks out when it gets to writing /boot.

Edited by glossywhite

Will try and get back to you :)

[uPDATE]

Okay, it installed "OUK_P743TV1.0.0B05: Stock ROM for the Orange Monte Carlo" ZIP no problem. Fine.

Gonna try BlueMonte 1.8b now...

[uPDATE 2]

Okay. When I try to install BlueMonte 1.8b, it successfully writes /system, yes, and then borks out when it gets to writing /boot.

replace the boot.img in bluemonte 1.8 with the boot.img from the stock rom that you installed smile.gif

EDIT: i am wondering if it has anything to do with the kernels been overclocked..

Edited by tillaz

Guest glossywhite

replace the boot.img in bluemonte 1.8 with the boot.img from the stock rom that you installed smile.gif

EDIT: i am wondering if it has anything to do with the kernels been overclocked..

I'm lost. What does boot.img contain that affects things? I mean, what is in it (I know it boots, that is obvious :P). Also, why would my phone be diff to another OMC?

FWIW, I have asked Orange to send me another one (the stock software is SO sluggish on this one), so all probs should be fixed by tomorrow anyway.

Have replaced boot.img, and trying now...

I put the boot.img from the Orange stock ZIP, into BlueMonte 1.8b, and it has installed correcttly. I don't have the flashy DNA animation, only the standard "ANDROID" font flashing logo... but it works!

Has this helped? What was the cause?

Thank you.

Edited by glossywhite

I'm lost. What does boot.img contain that affects things? I mean, what is in it (I know it boots, that is obvious :P). Also, why would my phone be diff to another OMC?

FWIW, I have asked Orange to send me another one (the stock software is SO sluggish on this one), so all probs should be fixed by tomorrow anyway.

Have replaced boot.img, and trying now...

Thank you.

the boot.img is basically the kernel smile.gif

& because all the custom roms have overclocked kernels i think this is/woz your problem...

Edited by tillaz

Ah right! And now I am not rooted... lol. Makes perfect sense. How do I get rooted?

you should be able to root as normal....

& then if you try to flash the overclockable kernel.zip & it fails this is the reason.. wink.gif

Guest glossywhite

you should be able to root as normal....

& then if you try to flash the overclockable kernel.zip & it fails this is the reason.. wink.gif

Ah okay! But tell me... what is "normal" root, and how does one achieve this? There are SO many threads on this forum, it is quite baffling at times. Thanks