OMC /SKATE Can You Use Camera Flash as a Torch?

Guest FatLadZ

Guest FatLadZ

Look at post #83, I posted there the decompiled Camera.apk, you can start with that and end with that :P

aww dont be negative

im sure that someone here is clever enough to sort this as a lovely christmas present to us all :)

I stumbled upon this video today, the guy was using flashlight with an app called root toolbox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kflpj_3mWPw

I'm not sure if you could use app function with free or paid version, but i suggest you could try it out.

if this is a zte device & has a working flash light we need to know more about it... but mainly a rom dump to look at

Edited by tillaz

aww dont be negative

im sure that someone here is clever enough to sort this as a lovely christmas present to us all :)

Nooooo....

What I meant was that he should start with Camera.apk and end with Camera.apk since he doesn't need to look at anything else :P

Hi.

I have made a little bit of investigation and this is what I have found out.

I took the Torch.apk, decompile it and took a quick go through the code. Application (and probably also other torch applications)

relies on existence of a flash device in /sys folder.

public class FlashDevice

{

public static final int DEATH_RAY = 3;

private static final String DEVICE = "/sys/devices/platform/flashlight.0/leds/flashlight/brightness";

private static final String DEVICE_SHOLES = "/sys/class/leds/spotlight/brightness";

So I ran the emulator and did some investigation in /sys folder. I was not able to find any traces of flash device. Everything I found is just:

in /sys/class/leds:

button-backlight

lcd-backlight

green

red

and in /sys/devices/platform:

# find . -name "*led*" -print:

./pmic-leds-status

./pmic-leds-status/leds

./leds-gpio

./leds-gpio/leds

./msm_fb.196609/leds

also searched some traces of any combinations of "light", "flash" but nothing.

So I think this is the main problem. There should be a device available for torch applications to work.

Now the question is if there is any way to additionaly create the necessary device in the system (as for example using mknod in unix systems).

If yes, that should do the trick. If no, it seems like this is really a hardware issue. Flash in Skate and its function is strongly bound to the camera at hardware level and not available as a device in the system - this means no access at software level...

Depends on if there is a way to persuade kernel by means of some kind of a driver to expose the flash LED in userspace (sysfs) as a device.

If not, then there is probably no chance to get it working at all. But I might be wrong, of course...

Well... I don't really need any kind of flashlight since I am not using it :) I'm just curious why it's not working on Skate since this is some kind of a "general function" every smartphone has

Guest FatLadZ

Well... I don't really need any kind of flashlight since I am not using it :) I'm just curious why it's not working on Skate since this is some kind of a "general function" every smartphone has

i like your curiosity B)

Guest dadashi

Still not the same tough.

You can take a walk in a forrest with the led, with the wite screen you wouldnt see anything.

yes you would, I've used it perfectly in a pitch black wooded area and an empty field....

Still not the same tough.

You can take a walk in a forrest with the led, with the wite screen you wouldnt see anything.

Why would someone take a walk in the forest at night :lol:

But if you did then you would being a sensible person,take a torch.

But then,I can see the advantage of having a led torch in those unexpected ray mears or bear grills moments :lol:

Edited by Guest

Guest Wacky.ddw

Why would someone take a walk in the forest at night :lol:

But if you did then you would being a sensible person,take a torch.

But then,I can see the advantage of having a led torch in those unexpected ray mears or bear grills moments :lol:

I live in a forrest :P (In a house offcource :D) i know my way with my eyes closed, but when my friend come over they get paranoid. :P

But its a little of topic, still i would rather have the light then 480p video recording. I only used the camera to record once...

Guest dadashi

I live in a forrest :P (In a house offcource :D) i know my way with my eyes closed, but when my friend come over they get paranoid. :P

But its a little of topic, still i would rather have the light then 480p video recording. I only used the camera to record once...

Belgium is very nice, lots of fields with cows....fewer forests though, you must be one of the priveleged....

I've driven through at least 50 times, caught ferries from Ostende....only stoped once in Brussels but didn't hang around much, got lost in the tuinnels....

Guest Wacky.ddw

Belgium is very nice, lots of fields with cows....fewer forests though, you must be one of the priveleged....

I've driven through at least 50 times, caught ferries from Ostende....only stoped once in Brussels but didn't hang around much, got lost in the tuinnels....

Yea it’s pretty nice I alsotook took the ferry to England 3 times. But i don’t remember much about it I was too young. One time to London and one time to some world war 2castle.

I don’t like Brussels at all, it’s a ugly city that stinks of piss and weed :P

If you ever want to see the good part of Belgium go to Bruges, Gent or Antwerp. And yea we are really privileged, it’s very green here and we don’t hear anything except birds and goats.

Anyway nice to see some progress on this :D

Edited by Wacky.ddw

Guest TouchyAndalou

Made some real progress on this - more details soon.

Sounds promising. If you could get this working and 480x800 video recording, you'd be a proper hero. This phone would be almost complete! :)