kernel 2.6.32

Guest pier11

What exactly is the problem with these apps?

1) they "work" but video is taken from the back camera, and thus it's not usable

2) they don't find any camera

If it's just 1), the solution (for UK 2.1 roms + .29 kernel) could possibly be simple. I could just patch the kernel to swap 1st and 2nd camera devices. Then the stock camera app would still allow to choose camera, but all apps that can't manually select the camera, should be forced to use front camera instead of back camera.

So if your problem is of type 1 and you are willing to try this on an official eclair 2.1 rom, I could prepare a patched kernel for you.

It's 1.

And yeah, if you could do that I could test some apps (or u could do that too if u have the time).

Fring is the last app I tried that video works. I remember when they had skype enabled, I used skype voice calls via fring.

Set up a branch in repository - eclair-compat

Idea is to provide compatibility with existing propitiatory user space libs from pulse .29 kernel where we have no proper replacements.

It contains in addition to normal tree:

- Old DSP from pulse .29

- Old Camera interface from pulse .29

- Compatibility for Sensors and keypad LEDs

Tested with CM6.1. Only issue is black and white video playback. Other than that ALL devices work as expected.

Set up a branch in repository - eclair-compat

Tested with CM6.1. Only issue is black and white video playback. Other than that ALL devices work as expected.

I think this is a very nice idea, especially doing this in a separate branch!

One question though: It's named eclair-compat. Shouldn't we test it against stock eclair instead of CM6 / CM7?

CMx contains a mixture of user space libraries. Some borrowed from eclair, some rebuilt from (whatever) source, e.g. libaudio, libcopybit, lightlights, libsensors. If we tweak the kernel to run on this, we tweak a hybrid kernel.

edit:

libcopybit: this might well explain, that on CM6 the compat-kernel gives camera preview, while on stock eclair it said copyBits failed.

And libsensors, liblights correspond to 'Compatibility for Sensors and keypad LEDs'

Edited by dr.flo

One question though: It's named eclair-compat. Shouldn't we test it against stock eclair instead of CM6 / CM7?

CMx contains a mixture of user space libraries. Some borrowed from eclair, some rebuilt from (whatever) source, e.g. libaudio, libcopybit, lightlights, libsensors. If we tweak the kernel to run on this, we tweak a hybrid kernel.

We may should, but the combination doesn't work as good as cm6 does :)

Also ultimate compatibility with eclair is not a goal; it's still a froyo branch with fall backs to eclair interfaces where we have no choice...

So far I put there old camera stuff, plus some minor compatibility things - leds/sensors. No outstanding plans...

We may should, but the combination doesn't work as good as cm6 does :)

Also ultimate compatibility with eclair is not a goal; it's still a froyo branch with fall backs to eclair interfaces where we have no choice...

So far I put there old camera stuff, plus some minor compatibility things - leds/sensors. No outstanding plans...

OK, fine with me - but then is led/sensors really needed or wouldn't it be better to replace the libs in CM, e.g. from those of u8150 CM.

I remember you saying that screen rotation (part of sensors, isn't it?) worked on u8150-rom out of the box, but not on CM. I guess CM would easily learn it with libsensors from u8150 version.

But of course this is just a philosophic question. One could also just say: If something works, we do not need to fix it :)

OK, fine with me - but then is led/sensors really needed or wouldn't it be better to replace the libs in CM, e.g. from those of u8150 CM.

I remember you saying that screen rotation (part of sensors, isn't it?) worked on u8150-rom out of the box, but not on CM. I guess CM would easily learn it with libsensors from u8150 version.

But of course this is just a philosophic question. One could also just say: If something works, we do not need to fix it :)

I will happily revert unnecessary changes (like with sensors, which in fact work fine on u8150 froyo rom, but not keypad leds) when some rom will start to include good libs.

:)

here is some prof of pier11 kernel runing on cm 7.2

wow, man, you are awesome!

where is the rom? want it :)

I always run your 7.1 rom and promoted it :)

Have you ever tried to compile cm9? u8150 (less capable devices) people run it already. See ICS talks thread...

We would help with what we can

where is the rom? want it :)

You can build one yourself - just take what I initially uploaded, extract ramdisk from there and combine it with your kernel.

Those - including me - who initially said kernel .32 doesn't boot with CM7.2 just used the wrong ramdisk.

Guest anarkill

here is some prof of pier11 kernel runing on cm 7.2

Please give link to this ROM, or post compiled and packed for recovery .32 kernel for cm 7.2!

P.S Sorry for bad English.

Guest dtox125

Please give link to this ROM, or post compiled and packed for recovery .32 kernel for cm 7.2!

P.S Sorry for bad English.

I'll upload it today.the one with .32 kernel.

I'll upload it today. the one with .32 kernel.

Thanks!

If you don't have working wifi kernel driver, use the attached one.

I compiled it from Huawei sources.

It's modified to looks for firmware in proper for CM7 folders:

/system/etc/firmware

ar6000.ko.zip

Guest dtox125

Thanks!

If you don't have working wifi kernel driver, use the attached one.

I compiled it from Huawei sources.

It's modified to looks for firmware in proper for CM7 folders:

/system/etc/firmware

tnx wifi didnt work i will compile new rom with this driver and upload it.

tnx wifi didnt work i will compile new rom with this driver and upload it.

Cool!

Also if sensors and/or keypad lights don't work, it depends on which kernel branch did you use for kernel compilation,

'eclair-compat' branch (latest commit) contains hack to make it work.

Even better would be to revert hack with regard to sensors (only sensors) and try to update respective user space lib. Sensors worked fine without hack on ported u8150 stock rom.

Thanks again.

Edited by pier11

- It also might make sense to enable ext3 or better ext4 (which would cover ext3 and ext 2 - the way CM kernel does for dream/sapphire). But kernel might not fit into boot partition after that - it's only 2.5MB.

- I turned off ipv6 and nfs - not sure if anyone need it - but those can be compiled as modules.

- I saw ramzswap module from .29 kernel - that might also need to be compiled as module in .32 kernel. It's for compcache, right?

- Swap is turned on.

I'd also accept clean overclocking patch. Should not be a problem to find around - nearly all custom kernel features that.

Does Adreno 130 work as it should?

I mean is there the hardware opengl acceleration already?

It's you to tell us if it works.

I've compiled in hardware acceleration the way it was in .29 original kernel. It accelerates things like 3d gallery and google's streetView.

If Neocore any indication, it gave me 29+ FPS (may be it's slightly less now when I reverted to stock kernel's display driver for purity of the port).

EDIT:

question: did it work with original stock Eclair 2.6.29 kernel?

Edited by pier11

Guest sun lbx

It's you to tell us if it works.

I've compiled in hardware acceleration the way it was in .29 original kernel. It accelerates things like 3d gallery and google's streetView.

If Neocore any indication, it gave me 29+ FPS (may be it's slightly less now when I reverted to stock kernel's display driver for purity of the port).

EDIT:

question: did it work with original stock Eclair 2.6.29 kernel?

Yes, that worked making all things smooth & supporting games like Quake3 with up to 24fps with OC

BTW I'm impressed by 29fps, especially if there was no OC during the benchmark.

That fact that you got 29fps sounds like the answer "yes" to my question :)

Yes, that worked making all things smooth & supporting games like Quake3 with up to 24fps with OC

BTW I'm impressed by 29fps, especially if there was no OC during the benchmark.

That fact that you got 29fps sounds like the answer "yes" to my question :)

sounds good, but give it a try. We value your opinion in hardware acceleration :)