4 Apr Ir13 (IMM76D / 4.0.4 / CDMA + GSM): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus

Guest PaulOBrien

It's not about making them. There are loads of texting apps out there. Two or three times people have asked for more detail so perhaps they can help and the person requesting has been quite awkward about it.

ok, i see where youre coming from.. youre just trying to help.. and thanks.. BUT.. i dont want to fill my phone up with 'apps' just to get it the way i want it.. i thought having a rooted device would allow me to change the way my phone works.. i know there are apps out there that can help but they take up resources and battery life and often crash and cause other problems.. i wanna change how the phone actually goes about receiving and displaying notifications.. i want tweaks!! and i dont want it to stop at notifications.. i mean the search key and menu buttons are great also the extended power menu, but on iOS (the restricted os) there are soooo many tweaks already in packages ready to change how your phones basics work.. no doubt you can defo do more with android out of the box but it just seems i want to be able to do more without downloading an app to run over the stock app and probably cause problems

maybe im looking at it the wrong way, or in the wrong places for what i want, but it would be nice if it was just there mellow.gif

on another note.. +1 on the wallpaper.. looks great!!

iv messaged you andy..

Edited by N1XM1X

Guest AndyCr15

Honestly, yes I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Android is about having a plain slate and adding what you want.

Also, STILL no-one has actually explained what is wanted.

Guest DarkGruf

Hey Paul,

Problem here with avast installed via kitchen, it could not communicate with avast servers for updates. I deleted the apk in /system/app with root explorer then dowloaded avast on Market and now it works. See if you can look into that please.

Guest drewstiff

ok, i see where youre coming from.. youre just trying to help.. and thanks.. BUT.. i dont want to fill my phone up with 'apps' just to get it the way i want it.. i thought having a rooted device would allow me to change the way my phone works.. i know there are apps out there that can help but they take up resources and battery life and often crash and cause other problems.. i wanna change how the phone actually goes about receiving and displaying notifications.. i want tweaks!! and i dont want it to stop at notifications.. i mean the search key and menu buttons are great also the extended power menu, but on iOS (the restricted os) there are soooo many tweaks already in packages ready to change how your phones basics work.. no doubt you can defo do more with android out of the box but it just seems i want to be able to do more without downloading an app to run over the stock app and probably cause problems

maybe im looking at it the wrong way, or in the wrong places for what i want, but it would be nice if it was just there mellow.gif

on another note.. +1 on the wallpaper.. looks great!!

iv messaged you andy..

I would argue that the "clean slate" lets you do what you want with your phone as long as you or someone else develops that feature. If you are not willing to do so yourself (which to be honest, is the case for me personally) then if you want someone else to, or want someone else to explain to you how to, then you need to be specific which I think was the thing that was getting to AndyCr15 a bit - if you want it to be exactly the same as iOS then your best bet is iOS to be perfectly honest.

If you want specific features similar to iOS then:

a) be specific about those features so that we can let you know if they are already available.

b ) if they are not already available ask very nicely (still with specifics) whether someone else is willing to write it for you,

c) if neither of the above apply then learn and write it yourself.

With c), I'm not just being arsey but with an open Android phone the world IS your oyster, yet you can't expect some other developer to have covered every single eventuality that anyone could come up with ever.

What you have to understand is that people (not me!) put work in to this and some of them release them to the community, some of them add them in to ROMs and some of them either give them away or sell them on the Market. Either way, they choose to do so because they want to and if you want more then you can ask nicely, or maybe pay them in certain circumstances.

Not meaning to be an arse but hope you understand where I'm coming from!

Edited by drewstiff

Not meaning to be an arse but hope you understand where I'm coming from!

i totally agree with all of the points you have made and i really understand how much work the developers put in.. but to be fair i wasnt the one asking for things.. ive been out looking for them myself.. i pm'd AndyCr15 because this isnt exactly the place for this convo.. as for the 'clean slate' i really dont understand this, because you have to add apps.. for example iv been using widgetlocker but it uses more battery and memory.. i want to be able to change the stock lockscreen.. i know this goes back to people developing them but i would be more than happy to pay.. this was just my idea of a rooted device, to be able to modify the core system.

also i do have iOS and windows phone but im really loving the gnex atm.

thanks for your points tho smile.gif

Hey Paul,

Problem here with avast installed via kitchen, it could not communicate with avast servers for updates. I deleted the apk in /system/app with root explorer then dowloaded avast on Market and now it works. See if you can look into that please.

Yes, I've seen this, i'll be relocating Avast from /system to /data in the kitchen.

P

Awesome! Should I continue to watch this thread for the status of the development on this? Or will you be maintaining a separate CDMA forum once you have the ROM ready?

I will be updating this thread when the LTE version is ready and also recruiting testers in this topic. :)

P

i have the same problem for the camera, that just let me take one(somethime few) photos, i need to restart the camera to take another photo...

ps. i haven't choose disable sound patch.

Thanks!!!

Camera problem confirmed, investigating!

P

Regarding Gmail LED in Trackball Alert, the changelog for the new version says that the Gmail alert has been fixed.

Havent got an email to try it yet though.

Remove and recreate your Gmail alert, I can confirm it's working here.

P

Guest petros64

amazing rom!!!

the only issues :

1)Get fc when go settings-->aps-->running applications

2)problem in landscape.i lose the lowest line from portrait mode.

3)After a while i just have 220 mb ram free (weather ,evernote,mail,calendar widgets only) and a few shortcuts.almost clean rom.

I've noticed that I can connect to my 2.4N network fine but not at all to my 5N network with Ir8, tried various configs... worked pre-Ir8 for me no problem. KK6.

Anyone connecting to an N wireless network at 5 gig here with/out issues?

Guest alanhsu

Percent Battery without Search Button : )

I asked for the percent battery which was partly fulfilled (percent battery gives you a search button, which I don't want).

So I made this flashable zip

Use the attached for:

Circular Percentage Battery + Menu button on both sides also active when hidden

Note: non of the stuff is my own creation, I just extracted the systemui.apk from roms and pasted over the battery icons.

Let me know if you guys want any other combinations.

--------------------------

update: for some reason menu buttons are active on both sides (not just the right). I think its because the kitchen option (menu button on right also active) is also incorrect, since I selected right side only. anyways I updated this post to reflect on that.

CircleBatteryPlus3UIactiveunsigned.zip

Edited by alanhsu

Guest AndyCr15
as for the 'clean slate' i really dont understand this, because you have to add apps.. for example iv been using widgetlocker but it uses more battery and memory.. i want to be able to change the stock lockscreen..

But this is it. You want it your way, I want it mine, 12 other people want it 12 other ways. If you try and include options for everyone, this takes up memory that widget locker would take. So they leave it very basic and let us pick the one we prefer...

Do you see what I mean? Because you want it, why should we all have to have it?

They give a foundation for us to build it as we like.

two more questions:

1 in some other posts on xda someone is reporting a bug of the camera, that would prevent the cpu from sleeping.

you should open and close the camera whenever you start to phone to avoid this.

it would be something caused by gtalk camera control.

paul, is it true? were you aware of this?

if you uninstall gtalk you solve the problem, is it right?

2 sounds like my phone doesn't get to 100% charge even after a full night charge. am I the only one with this issue?

that's all, thanks for the answers.

Edited by viskas

Guest Darren.M

two more questions:

1 in some other posts on xda someone is reporting a bug of the camera, that would prevent the cpu from sleeping.

you should open and close the camera whenever you start to phone to avoid this.

it would be something caused by gtalk camera control.

paul, is it true? were you aware of this?

if you uninstall gtalk you solve the problem, is it right?

2 sounds like my phone doesn't get to 100% charge even after a full night charge. am I the only one with this issue?

that's all, thanks for the answers.

Wiping battery stats in recovery should fix issue 2.

Charge your device to as high as it goes and then reset battery stats in recovery and it should reset to 100%.

Wiping battery stats in recovery should fix issue 2.

Charge your device to as high as it goes and then reset battery stats in recovery and it should reset to 100%.

thank you, darren!