[ROM] Cyanogenmod 9 (Android 4.0.3)

Guest Zunex

Guest susanico

Let's go back to topic then.

I've not got a chance to try out 5.4 yet.

But this is some of the 5.2 error i've found until this time (at least for me):

- camera function doesn't work at all

- gallery (rarely working)

- doesn't display anything while cropping image for walpaper

- hang when trying to activate airplane mode

- speech recognation doesn't work

- maps can't sign in to latitude

- maps closed notification came out frequently

- wifi tether can't resolved ip address

Realy hope 5.4 don't...

And i do big thanks to everyone involved in developing this.... without them i won't be able to use ics for my blade... b(^ ^)d

Guest brookergray

[...]

Thank you for selectively enforcing forum rules. There are countless threads in the rom discussion that don't belong there according to the sticky, yet noone moves a finger. Really good job guys. Don't bother to ban me, I'm deleting my account. This is ridiculous.

[...]

First thanks for assuming that I have no life. It's really nice to see that you're following your own rule about only saying nice things. Do I need to show you some kind of proof that I have one, or will you believe me if I say so?

The problem was nor that he asked, but the way he did. Changing your post size to 6 is equivalent to marching into a room and just shouting at people. That's why I called him an idiot, not because he asked for help. A simple google search for "adding languages to android" would have made it obvious that it's quite a complicated procedure to add a language after compilation. But again we already established that he has severe brain function deficit.

Guest the Mitu
A simple google search for "adding languages to android" would have made it obvious that it's quite a complicated procedure to add a language after compilation.

I'm not that sure. I've tried to search too, but most of results are about how to add language support in messages (changing fonts for these with containing some particular characters etc.). However, I have found nothing about adding the UI language support.

I also would like to add my language to RC05.4. I know english well enough, but I would like my phone to use my native language. If anyone knows either how to add a UI language to the ROM or a site where it's described well enough, I would be grateful :)

P.S. As I've read, in 5.4 there's a speed improvement - does it make any significant and noticeable difference or it's rather little improvement? I think I'll test it when my phone is repaired.

Edited by the Mitu

Guest davidnintendo

Can we get back to the thread topic? I wouldn't like to see this thread closed!

About the graphic libs, I think there was a petition to Qualcomm to release the source of the dirvers so developers can work directly with them. Does anyone know how that is going?

Guest hugobosslives

yer it is moderated. but they can't look at every thread. if you want to help them out. click the 'report' button at the bottom left of every post that you feel needs attention. this will notify moderators to have a look at it. then they can decide whether to warn the person.

people shouldn't be banned straight away. we all get irritated once in a while. but persistent crap should of course be cut out. warning and then action etc

back to the thread, doubt that petition is going happen. qualcomn haven't really got anything to gain from releasing them.

but god knows we need 'em

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest skywave

yer it is moderated. but they can't look at every thread. if you want to help them out. click the 'report' button at the bottom left of every post that you feel needs attention. this will notify moderators to have a look at it. then they can decide whether to warn the person.

people shouldn't be banned straight away. we all get irritated once in a while. but persistent crap should of course be cut out. warning and then action etc

back to the thread, doubt that petition is going happen. qualcomn haven't really got anything to gain from releasing them.

but god knows we need 'em

In fact they probably would only lose when releasing the driver's source. They are pushing OEM's to go to the MSM7x27A which is fully compatible with the 7x27 but has armv7, so if a fully working ICS would to be exist for 7x27 this would only make that harder.

But face it ARMv6 is dead, Gingerbread was really the last OS update for this platform. ICS will probably never fully work.

Guest Davidoff59

qualcomm did state that they took on board the requests made in that petition but that a decision would not be posted in that thread.

If it was going to be released, they would have done it by now. They have nothing to gain but respect and a good name in dev circles as well as user circles. They also have nothing to lose as we aren't all going to buy a new phone just to get ics.

What will happen though is people will stick with those manufacturers that stick to the spirit of open source. Its pretty disgusting that a manufacturer can take an open source code and then lock it down tight.

Guest skywave

qualcomm did state that they took on board the requests made in that petition but that a decision would not be posted in that thread.

If it was going to be released, they would have done it by now. They have nothing to gain but respect and a good name in dev circles as well as user circles. They also have nothing to lose as we aren't all going to buy a new phone just to get ics.

What will happen though is people will stick with those manufacturers that stick to the spirit of open source. Its pretty disgusting that a manufacturer can take an open source code and then lock it down tight.

Well that all depends on the license the open-source devs pick.

Its pretty disgusting that a manufacturer can take an open source code and then lock it down tight.

That is one bad thing with Linux operating system because it is licensed under GPLv2 (only). If it would be GPLv3, it would be needed to open all firmwares and device drivers without possibility to offer just binary modules. But same time Nvidia and lots of other hardware manufacturers would abandon it.

At least they can not modify Linux operating system itself more than just serve own binary modules with it.

If I would be CEO of smartphone company, I would make damn sure that phones gets all updates as far as possible (2-3 years) for free as after all, supporting existing hardware makes clients to like you more. That is one of the strongest points what Apple has done, by supporting older phones for two years and giving new software system upgrades as fast as possible. Open Source should allow that to be easier achieve as even CM, Modaco and XNA can get awesome works done without accurate hardware specs and firmwares.

Now when using a ICS on ZTE Blade, it is just awesome - even as Alpha state, how much a amateurs can make without official support. What it would be with official support from every OEM by freely sharing all needed data or at least giving precompiled binary modules and firmwares for un-official versions

Guest susanico

Flashing CM9-PRE-RC05.4-BLADE-signed.zip....

Flashing gapps-icsi20111128.zip...

Done!

Rebooting...

so far so good...

this initial boot take longer than i remember when flashing 5.2....

but... YES! it work!

this time i can choose language from "welcome screen" (nice...rolleyes.gif)

signing in to google account... restoring... (this means i don't have to add APN manually)

time to check what's new... laugh.gif

Guest jurrasstoil

I welcome the discussion about the future potential of the blade or the lack thereof.

I think we should come to terms with the fact that we won't get a fully or even mostly working ICS, not because we don't have the manpower or dev skill, but simply because we don't have the necessary parts. The blade isn't the only phone that is struggling with this. The P990 for example lacks the HAL drivers from nvidia to get important parts working in ICS and for now it doesn't seem like nvidia is going to release it any time soon. To quote Ricardo Cerqueira "I know what's broken, I know what's needed to fix it, and I know it isn't available anywhere for now"

From the little reading i've done to get a little up to speed with the whole ICS stuff it seems that only Texas Instruments is delivering drivers and sources in a timely and open manor. (Maybe the reason why google went for an OMAP in the Galaxy Nexus?)

Although I'm happy with my blade - especially for the price i paid (~85€) - it def has its shortcomings in terms of performance which is why i'm currently contemplating on selling it and buying an HTC EVO 3D which is on sale here for 222€/£186, but the small community behind the GSM Version and plenty of posts about "dust problems" put me off at the moment.

Edited by jurrasstoil

But face it ARMv6 is dead, Gingerbread was really the last OS update for this platform. ICS will probably never fully work.

Could someone explain why, in short (and in dev speak)? I looked around for a bit but it's all dangling links really. Is everything happening on IRC these days, and forums used for posting mediafire links only? ;)

Guest fonix232

Could someone explain why, in short (and in dev speak)? I looked around for a bit but it's all dangling links really. Is everything happening on IRC these days, and forums used for posting mediafire links only? ;)

Basically, for most of the native parts of Android, you need different sources for each CPU type and generation: MIPS and it's generations, ARM (v6 and v7, and the upcoming v8, also diffs by subgenerations like v6l what got VPF, or the special Tegra2 v7 what has no NEON support). Well, Google nicely dropped support for the ARMv6 part of these (mostly Dalvik), and we need to scatter them around to have a patched up working version.

Guest gsam101

Also, when you think about it, ICS is still laggy (okay, blame me, it's because of the lack of the GPU driver) on the Nexus One/Desire, which has a way better armv7 processor, I tried it myself. There's no way our blades can have a fluid ICS.

Guest fonix232

Also, when you think about it, ICS is still laggy (okay, blame me, it's because of the lack of the GPU driver) on the Nexus One/Desire, which has a way better armv7 processor, I tried it myself. There's no way our blades can have a fluid ICS.

There is a way, having a proper GPU driver and a better kernel, and a lot of optimalizations.