[ROM] Cyanogenmod 9 (Android 4.0.3)

Guest Zunex

Guest jurrasstoil

There is a way, having a proper GPU driver and a better kernel, and a lot of optimalizations.

yeah, but how likely is that? :(

How long did we wait for a proper wifi driver? about a year? Kernel sources were even worse iirc because the stuff they released was utterly broken.

Even the newer, more expensive and more popular chipsets struggle to get the needed stuff. Some Tegra2 devices are a good example and most of the devs are sitting there and can only wait till either nvidia releases the needed libs and drivers or till LG or Motorola (for example) release their own ICS build.The former being probably a little more likely than the latter if you look at LG's update policy so far (does the P990 have Gingerbread already? lol).

Edited by jurrasstoil

I can not connect at all to a WLAN that has a WEP key? Why? Is that the version of android or something needs to be configured?

P.S This happens with Android 4.0

EDIT: Here I was able to connect at the WLAN with WEP code. I had the WLAN settings to set a Static IP address, the DHCP will not connect at all. Computer to obtain DHCP normally. I have a router D-Link DSL-2641B

Edited by UrosM

Google nicely dropped support for the ARMv6 part of these (mostly Dalvik)

But this does not cause the current build's issues, right? UI speed and camera functionality is probably not related to Dalvik? Any specific issues Dalvik causes at the moment?

There is a way, having a proper GPU driver and a better kernel, and a lot of optimalizations.

I can understand why the GPU modules can cause problems in newer builds. Then again, what is the problem specifically? The old drivers supported OpenGL ES 2.0 after all - what exactly causes them to fail with ICS?

And concerning the kernel - again, what problems does the 'bad' kernel cause? I understand a clean kernel would be nice, but this probably won't resolve UI or camera issues...?

Guest skywave

But this does not cause the current build's issues, right? UI speed and camera functionality is probably not related to Dalvik? Any specific issues Dalvik causes at the moment?

I can understand why the GPU modules can cause problems in newer builds. Then again, what is the problem specifically? The old drivers supported OpenGL ES 2.0 after all - what exactly causes them to fail with ICS?

And concerning the kernel - again, what problems does the 'bad' kernel cause? I understand a clean kernel would be nice, but this probably won't resolve UI or camera issues...?

Camera is due to a incompatible proprietary cameralib and a changed camera API. Hw video decoding is not working due to a changed stagefright api and incompatible binaries. There's a HAL to interface between the GB cameradriver's and ICS but that has it's flaws (and not working on the blade).

A clean kernel would be nice so we can merge commits from codeauroŕa's newer kernel versions. A new kernel is necessary so we can use the ICS codeaurora drivers, that heavily depend on kernel 3 to access the memory etc.

But even with a newer kernel i have serious doubts updated binaries will be ever available. It would surprise me very to see a official ICS update for any ARMv6 device and i think the chances on that are almost 0. It would require serious work from the OEM and that pretty much rules out the last users of armv6 chips, the Chinese.

Also look at how cheap armv7 devices have become. That is something that will also thin out the dev community a lot. CM seems to be dropping 7x27 devices.

Edited by skywave

ICS works on blade, alpha5 is "fast" and stable, so it will be possible to make it good. But camera and video is another story, maby it will work, maybe not, but thats not important. CM7 works great on our cheap blades and has all functions (evan flash) that other (much more expensive) phones have. And the blade is small and handy, thats why i bought it.

Maybe we should make CM7 even better for blade. I,ve been testing ICS for one month on my blade and to be honest, there are not really great updates to GB that I must have in any case! But its nice to test.

Guest JayGB1982

ICS on the blade... Oh my lord :)

Right people I have resurrected my blade from the great Android heaven in the sky... Had touchscreen issues but booted it last night and it seems to work now.

Although I bought an Xperia Play ;) This will now be my second phone and mainly used to tether.

Does the current ICS build allow this? I'm not bother about camera, video issue's and I'll never use those features.

What would be the best build to use? Sticking with CM7 or CM9?

Interested to hear your views :)

Thanks

ICS on the blade... Oh my lord :)

Right people I have resurrected my blade from the great Android heaven in the sky... Had touchscreen issues but booted it last night and it seems to work now.

Although I bought an Xperia Play ;) This will now be my second phone and mainly used to tether.

Does the current ICS build allow this? I'm not bother about camera, video issue's and I'll never use those features.

What would be the best build to use? Sticking with CM7 or CM9?

Interested to hear your views :)

Thanks

I am using CM9. Although the camera and video doesnt work it doesnt matter to me, as I have my tablet and my GN. My friend has the play, and my god is the ICS rom bad... But anyhoo. CM9 is what i use, esp. as its so pretty ;-)

Guest Davidoff59

cm7 has tethering anyway, so you don't need to go for cm9 for that.

Regarding ics only apps, surely developers want access to as wide an audience as possible. I think it would be a financial disaster to market apps as ics only. There are untold millions of pre ics phones and most will never see ics. That's a huge market that I can't see any developer turning his or her nose up to.

I'm sure there are plenty like me that are happy with their current phones and wont be upgrading phones for the specific reason of having ics.

I know when I finally do need a new phone, I will be choosing very carefully and seeing who is sticking to the rule of open source. Zte will not be on that list. Qualcomm will also be given a miss.

Guest JayGB1982

I am using CM9. Although the camera and video doesnt work it doesnt matter to me, as I have my tablet and my GN. My friend has the play, and my god is the ICS rom bad... But anyhoo. CM9 is what i use, esp. as its so pretty ;-)

Thanks for your reply :)

Yeah ICS on the play needs a lot of work, I'm still runnning stock but with custom kernel... anywho...

My battery on CM7 N179 ran out after 2hrs 40 mins of tethering to my pc...anyway / reccomendations to get it to last longer? My micro USB port on the Blade is broken and does not make a connection. I bought a seperate mains charger off ebay to plug the battery in to get the phone charged.

Also I have to keep the screen alive otherwise it loses the tether? I hope this bug is fixed on a more recent build?

Are there any under-volted kernels about? All I want the blade to mainly do is tether the 3G connection to my PC eg WiFi hotspot... Are there are specific apps which make this feature better?

Guest Davidoff59

there should be a setting to keep the screen awake. This won't help battery life though when tethering. Are you using a databag as tethering isn't allowed on giffgaff unless using a databag.

Guest hugobosslives

Yeah ICS on the play needs a lot of work, I'm still runnning stock but with custom kernel... anywho...

My battery on CM7 N179 ran out after 2hrs 40 mins of tethering to my pc...anyway / reccomendations to get it to last longer? My micro USB port on the Blade is broken and does not make a connection. I bought a seperate mains charger off ebay to plug the battery in to get the phone charged.

Also I have to keep the screen alive otherwise it loses the tether? I hope this bug is fixed on a more recent build?

Are there any under-volted kernels about? All I want the blade to mainly do is tether the 3G connection to my PC eg WiFi hotspot... Are there are specific apps which make this feature better?

much better battery if you tether through usb cable (if its to your laptop)

How to root ICS 4.0.3 on ZTE Blade?

All available ROMs are already rooted.

As far i remember the original tomG alpha was not fully rooted. and needed an SU flash via clockwork.

Guest The_Duck

In my testing so far, only Bluetooth tethering works reliably on the Blade running Alpha 5 Fix 2.

Battery life seems to be way better doing this than using WiFi Tethering (Blade running CM7) and I don't think USB tethering works on the current build.

I get about 3-4 hours running BT tethering before it starts to get a bit low and I give it some juice.

Duck

Guest susanico

All I want the blade to mainly do is tether the 3G connection to my PC eg WiFi hotspot... Are there are specific apps which make this feature better?

my blade running CM9 5.4 and i cannot use tether at all from built in tether function... sad.gif

but i can use tether using "Wireless Tether".

(i got it from market, but when i search it on market, it doesn't exist anymore.

but it still can be downloaded from :

h**p://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/downloads/detail?name=wireless_tether_2_0_7.apk&can=2&q= )

Edited by susanico

Guest The_Duck

I just tried to install an alternate boot animation using root explorer that came with RC5.4 and it was all in some sort of asian characters.

I couldn't work out how to change it to english, so I uninstalled it with Titanium.

Then I tried to install from the market (hoping it was an english version) but now I get a "Incompatible update" when it tries to install.

anyone know how to get around this ?

Duck

I just tried to install an alternate boot animation using root explorer that came with RC5.4 and it was all in some sort of asian characters.

I couldn't work out how to change it to english, so I uninstalled it with Titanium.

Then I tried to install from the market (hoping it was an english version) but now I get a "Incompatible update" when it tries to install.

anyone know how to get around this ?

Duck

Dear Duck, We are more popular and we have jokes about us

from the_Chicken

Sorry, but I had to do this... I use EStrongs File Explorer to use the the root explorer

Guest The_Duck

Dear Duck, We are more popular and we have jokes about us

from the_Chicken

Sorry, but I had to do this... I use EStrongs File Explorer to use the the root explorer

Joke away weeo... water off a Duck's back :P

I have ES File Explorer installed already but it won't give me access to /... only to /sdcard.

Any other thoughts ?

Duck

My zte is gen 1 and I hv been trying 2 upgrade it to gen 2 but it wont load past the green android logo. Can any1 point me 2 a detailed tuturial or a video tuturial?

Thanks Jaffer

I have ES File Explorer installed already but it won't give me access to /... only to /sdcard.

Any other thoughts ?

Duck

Yeah, go into ES. Click Menu. And enable root explorer option and also mount system. Then make the default directory / instead of /sdcard/

Let me no if it works

Guest hugobosslives

Any other thoughts ?

Duck

Yeah, go into ES. Click Menu. And enable root explorer option and also mount system. Then make the default directory / instead of /sdcard/

Let me no if it works

yeh. i had to do exactly the same. can no longer install root explorer because of the Chinese version. And don't have the time to look into why.

as above to access the root directory ./ you need to set the defualt directory just /. That gives you read writes only, To enable write you need to look in the settings for root mode. and then click write access.