[ROM][GEN2] Swedish Snow RLS7 (Android 2.3.5)

Guest KonstaT

Guest fox2000

my humble way of keeping the old market is to freeze marketupdater.apk with SystemTuner (or the paid version of Titanium backup) and to uninstall the updates of the market (or to replace the vending.apk by the old one directly into the ROM .zip before flashing it)

Yes that's exactly what I want to be able to do, but in order to do this, I must install the old market's .apk, because the ROM I am using came with the new market built in, and the "uninstall upgrades" option is unavailable for this reason.

Hi fox2000,

I did some zip files for myself to install from clockworkmod (as you install a ROM) and one of them is to install the old market (v 2.3.6).

The links are:

- Install old market v 2.3.6: http://www.mediafire...r9teo74oans97m7 (Removes MarketUpdater.apk and installs old Vending.apk to /system/app)

- Install new market: http://www.mediafire...5e88j8ydbvoy50d (Copies Swedish Snow 6 MarketUpdater.apk and Vending.apk to /system/app)

Thank you for your .zip scripts, but the "Install old Market" gives me the same problems I have by replacing Vending.apk by hand. After accepting the EULA, it stands only for a few seconds, then it force closes :(

Edited by fox2000

Guest kirpika

can anyone explain - what's the point of ext partition that's made via clockworkmod? i had to do this because swap mounted on my sd card block it from mounting when connected to PC. i mean - you can move the app to sd in the settings - why do i need special ext part?

i tried to do this - i ran a2sd reinstall and it moved SOME (not all of them) of my apps to this ext but some are still in the internal memory. + you have to run the script every time you install a huge app, right (i thought apps are AUTOMATICALLY installed on this sd-ext) because it's installed in the internal memory by default. what's then the point of it if you can move the apps_you_want_to_move manually? in such a situation apps are placed in 1) internal memory 2) sd-card 3) ext part. 3 different places - whoa!! what for?

Guest DarkCrono

can anyone explain - what's the point of ext partition that's made via clockworkmod? i had to do this because swap mounted on my sd card block it from mounting when connected to PC. i mean - you can move the app to sd in the settings - why do i need special ext part?

i tried to do this - i ran a2sd reinstall and it moved SOME (not all of them) of my apps to this ext but some are still in the internal memory. + you have to run the script every time you install a huge app, right (i thought apps are AUTOMATICALLY installed on this sd-ext) because it's installed in the internal memory by default. what's then the point of it if you can move the apps_you_want_to_move manually? in such a situation apps are placed in 1) internal memory 2) sd-card 3) ext part. 3 different places - whoa!! what for?

1. Apps on SD can't be opened when your SD is mounted on your PC, Apps on ext can do it.

2. No, Apps on ext shows as on internal memory in settings. If you move them to SD in app manager, you move it from ext to SD.

Guest Shahmatt

I'm using RLS4b.

Can anyone tell me if the AXI bus overclock results in notable performance improvement? Can it counterbalance a drop in CPU frequency?

I'm so used to the 672MHz overclock that I really don't want to drop it if the AXI overclock results in instability at this frequency.

@ Konstat

I just popped over to the ZTE Skate forum and noticed that RLS6 has been ported for use on the Skate! You've been credited so that's good.

Congratulations, your work is being appreciated over multiple devices now!

Guest agpoli

Do you think that is due to overclocking? I've had that a few times where an app, mostly Opera Mobile, will just close, no FC or anything it just vanishes. I've had no reboots, phone overheating or anything like that. Cheers.

I couldn't think about anything else. I've changed the frequency one notch lower and now the issue is gone.

I'm using RLS4b.

Can anyone tell me if the AXI bus overclock results in notable performance improvement? Can it counterbalance a drop in CPU frequency?

I'm so used to the 672MHz overclock that I really don't want to drop it if the AXI overclock results in instability at this frequency.

Besides the AXI, the AHB bus and the GPU is overclocked too and these together give you noticeable performance increase. They may or may not affect the max stable OC frequency, you have to try it out.

Guest agpoli

How to update from RLS5 to RLS6??? can i do it through "System Updates" in About Settings menu??

No, you have to install it from ClockWorkMod. Make a backup first just to be sure.

Guest dachloo

Hi thereI just flashed RLS6 on my Blade and it seems like a kick ass rom right from the start. One thing i can't find though, is where i can set a delay on the security lock.

I came from CM7 where they have a setting to enable delays for the security lock. If i press the power button while using the phone the screen goes dark, and when i press it again the screen comes on, no problems there. The annoying thing with not having a delay on the security lock is that i have to enter my pattern every time i turn the phone on. This can easily be avoided with a delay before the security lock kicks in.

I personally liked ~20-30 minutes or something, then you wouldn't have to bother with the pattern each and every time you wanted to quickly do something on your phone, but if i dropped my phone the lock would probably have time to kick in before any thieves had time to find it.Is there anyone else who has the same preference as I, and how did you solve it (if you did)?

EDIT: i have now tried both AutoLock (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mooapps.autolock&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5tb29hcHBzLmF1dG9sb2NrIl0.) and Delayed Lock (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.delayedlock2&feature=related_apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOSwiZGUuajR2ZWxpbi5kZWxheWVkbG9jazIiXQ..).

AutoLock simply does not work. The pattern lock is always there, even tried rebooting and resetting the pattern lock but no change.

Delayed Lock works, but requires an icon in the notification field all the time.. You can set it to transparent, but it will still shift other visible icons one step in the notification field and leave a blank spot. Deal breaker for me..

Edited by dachloo

Guest KonstaT

Any chance we'll be seeing either one of these in the next version KonstaT?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1533497

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1525226

That would be no and no. I already get complaints about the volume beeing too loud. :P

Who said there was going to be a next release. ;)

download a task killer.

No, don't. You shouldn't use task killers/managers. It will only mess up android's own memory management and cause issues.

rls 6 = not work default camera ( sorry my english)

Doesn't work how exactly? When/where did you buy your blade/libra? Can you provide information about the camera sensor your phone has?

I know that some newer (dutch) models still have flipped preview screen, but I think camera issues should be sorted for everyone else.

Using android's built-in move to sd funtion moves your apps into your sdcard FAT partition (directory /.android_secure). When you have EXT partition and darktremor A2SD running, ALL your apps are symlinked to your EXT partition.

If you still select 'move to sd' from android settings, you're just moving an app from EXT to FAT.

I'm using RLS4b.

@ Konstat

I just popped over to the ZTE Skate forum and noticed that RLS6 has been ported for use on the Skate! You've been credited so that's good.

Congratulations, your work is being appreciated over multiple devices now!

Some say that it icreases performance/frame rate in games. I don't play any games so I can't say that I've noticed any massive improvement.

Can't really say if it causes you instability at certain frequency. The amount of overclocking each phone handles varies quite a lot. You'll just have to try it yourself on your device.

Yeah, it's been well received on Skate too. :)

How to update from RLS5 to RLS6??? can i do it through "System Updates" in About Settings menu??

Download RLS6 and place it in your sdcard. Boot in ClockWorkMod recovery. Choose install zip from sdcard -> select zip from sdcard -> RLS6 zip. Reboot.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest purplehead

I'm using RLS4b.

Well, I noticed a definite increase in overall speed when it comes to scrolling thru the launcher pages or the app drawer, opening different options in the settings, etc with RLS6. I already had my OC set relatively low (@652 MHz) because I noticed some frequent random reboots on previous ROMS (Moldovan) with higher freqeuncies. I didn't change this setting when I updated to RLS6 and only had one reboot while listening to the radio, but I think that one reboot in 3 days is probably random and rare. So I would recommend updating to the latest version, it's definitely worth it. Try running with your current OC setting for a while and if it gives you no problems than that's fine. Otherwise, lower the Mhz a liitle bit, it;s no big deal, IMHO.

@KonstaT: Thanks for another perfect release. mate, and for including my greek transaltions. Cheers!

Guest thewild
That would be no and no. I already get complaints about the volume beeing too loud. :P

Who dares complain about that ??? ;)

No, seriously, I can live with it.

The main problem in MMHMP was that DSPManager kept being shut down automatically (something like every hour). I don't know why, but that's what happened. So every time I wanted to listen to music or after 1hour of music listening, I had to relaunch DSPManager to have all levels set to minimum.

In SS RLS6 this doesn't happen, DSPManager settings are kept in memory.

So the volume is still a bit too high but it's OK, and I don't have to fiddle every time I want to listen to music.

Guest jventura

Thank you for your .zip scripts, but the "Install old Market" gives me the same problems I have by replacing Vending.apk by hand. After accepting the EULA, it stands only for a few seconds, then it force closes :(

Hum, strange.. It works for me with no problems!

I've installed the "old market" after a fresh installation of SS6 and wiped/cleaned everything. I can only suggest you to do the same (reinstall swedish spring 6 and wipe everything)

Guest handful

I'm keen to give this rom a try, looks great. I have an oled Gen1 currently running JJ RLS8 (old I know!) Is it better to use the all in one tpt method of installation or convert to Gen2 first and then flash the 'normal' way? Or does it make no difference at all and both methods are as reliable as each other?

Thanks in advance :-)

Guest KonstaT

I'm keen to give this rom a try, looks great. I have an oled Gen1 currently running JJ RLS8 (old I know!) Is it better to use the all in one tpt method of installation or convert to Gen2 first and then flash the 'normal' way? Or does it make no difference at all and both methods are as reliable as each other?

Thanks in advance :-)

Doesn't make any difference. Using the Swedish Snow all-in-one TPT is just easier.

If you have plans to test other ROMs, you might wan't go with a separate gen1->gen2 TPT that gives you a larger system partition. 128mb system in SS-RLS6 TPT is well optimized for this ROM and gives you plenty of space for you apps, but most of other ROM won't fit in.

Guest eirlysbill1

Doesn't make any difference. Using the Swedish Snow all-in-one TPT is just easier.

If you have plans to test other ROMs, you might wan't go with a separate gen1->gen2 TPT that gives you a larger system partition. 128mb system in SS-RLS6 TPT is well optimized for this ROM and gives you plenty of space for you apps, but most of other ROM won't fit in.

128MB, that seems like a small footprint. I TPT'd to install MMHMP months back and I'm guessing I choose a 200mb partition for the rom. Just checked Titanium and it says the rom (which is now SS RLS6) is 167MB with 37.5 free. Does that mean I'm wasting that 37mb that could be used to make the system faster?

Also, I reckon ICS for the Blade may be coming good in a few months. So, will 4.0 always need the larger partition anyway? In other words is there much sense in re-TPTing just a for a couple of months? Hope that's clearer than mud. :-)

Cheers, Bill

Guest handful

Thanks Konsta, and also Bill for your views!!

I'm not generally one to change roms too frequently, I tend to wait until most bugs are fixed and hence why I'm still running 2.2 JJ. The downside of this is I get completely out of touch with all of the developments and then struggle to know how to best update! I think I'll probably happily stick with SS for a good spell so will give the tpt method a go later....donation to follow if it's as good as it appears!

Cheers

Guest KonstaT

128MB, that seems like a small footprint. I TPT'd to install MMHMP months back and I'm guessing I choose a 200mb partition for the rom. Just checked Titanium and it says the rom (which is now SS RLS6) is 167MB with 37.5 free. Does that mean I'm wasting that 37mb that could be used to make the system faster?

Also, I reckon ICS for the Blade may be coming good in a few months. So, will 4.0 always need the larger partition anyway? In other words is there much sense in re-TPTing just a for a couple of months? Hope that's clearer than mud. :-)

Cheers, Bill

Woot 167MB? Have you added something to the ROM or moved something to the system? Titanium shows a bit incorrect sizes (maybe a conversion thing) but not by that much. You can get accurate info by doing 'df -h' in terminal. RLS6 system size is ~123mb. Any free space in /system is wasted of course.

ICS needs a bit larger system size but I wouldn't worry about it yet. TPT'ing is fairly safe anyway.

Guest eirlysbill1

Woot 167MB? Have you added something to the ROM or moved something to the system? Titanium shows a bit incorrect sizes (maybe a conversion thing) but not by that much. You can get accurate info by doing 'df -h' in terminal. RLS6 system size is ~123mb. Any free space in /system is wasted of course.

ICS needs a bit larger system size but I wouldn't worry about it yet. TPT'ing is fairly safe anyway.

Starting to get over my head now. I knew about df -h, but don't completely understand what it reports. I attached screenshot though. Thanks for any advice that you have time to give me.

I have few add-on's installed: beats audio, bravia engine (not sure this isn't just placebo), and a gps fix from xda. But I thought they were on put the sd card, I haven't added them to the sys when I installed them (via recovery) have I?

Ta, Bill

PS: If I did re-tpt to a smaller partition then, I'd need to a do a full back up and wipe first?

post-907778-0-12661100-1331808934_thumb.

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest longo213

Swedish Snow should be a stock ROM. Seriously, since I updated from Orange ROM to Swedish Snow in early January I feel like I bought a new phone.

Just one question - can I update directly to RLS6 from ClockworkMod or do I need to use TPT image because of different partition layout?

Guest KonstaT

Starting to get over my head now. I knew about df -h, but don't completely understand what it reports. I attached screenshot though. Thanks for any advice that you have time to give me.

I have few add-on's installed: beats audio, bravia engine (not sure this isn't just placebo), and a gps fix from xda. But I thought they were on put the sd card, I haven't added them to the sys when I installed them (via recovery) have I?

Ta, Bill

PS: If I did re-tpt to a smaller partition then, I'd need to a do a full back up and wipe first?

Yeah, mtdblock5 is /system. You have 160mb system partition, 123.9mb used and 36.1mb free (wasted ;)).

You can do a clockworkmod backup, repartition with TPT and restore your nandoid backup, as long as everything fits back in to the new partitions. In this case, you could TPT to 128mb system, but unless you're running out of space I wouldn't bother.

Guest eirlysbill1

Yeah, mtdblock5 is /system. You have 160mb system partition, 123.9mb used and 36.1mb free (wasted ;)).

You can do a clockworkmod backup, repartition with TPT and restore your nandoid backup, as long as everything fits back in to the new partitions. In this case, you could TPT to 128mb system, but unless you're running out of space I wouldn't bother.

thanks mate

Guest kirpika

1. Apps on SD can't be opened when your SD is mounted on your PC, Apps on ext can do it.

2. No, Apps on ext shows as on internal memory in settings. If you move them to SD in app manager, you move it from ext to SD.

thanks. but still i have to run the script every time a new app is installed, so that it could be moved to ext, right?

i don't have any problem with the 1st remark - i just copy music or files - it takes a couple of minutes and shutting down of app doesn't bother me.

as for "internal memory" the apps moved to ext are displayed as "SD" and what's more important the amount of ALL space in the internal memory (if i add ext part) doesn't change - 150mb (60mb of free space) - that's it (i thought ext part is added to the internal memory in the settings... kinda merged with it), besides i DON'T KNOW how much free space is left on this ext part. may i do something wrong? i get free space to install apps AFTER moving them to the ext part by running the spript/

my procedure

1. partitioned with clockworkmod

2. run a2sd reinstall

that's. is this how it works?

Edited by kirpika

Guest The Guvnor

Moved from 5 to 6 yesterday, Found a bug, may just be my install though.

But, I go menu>settings>ROM settings>About.....and I get a "The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".

Then have to force close.

Not a huge bug granted :) . Apart from that dude, ROM is amazing as always.

Guest KonstaT

Swedish Snow should be a stock ROM. Seriously, since I updated from Orange ROM to Swedish Snow in early January I feel like I bought a new phone.

Just one question - can I update directly to RLS6 from ClockworkMod or do I need to use TPT image because of different partition layout?

You can just use ClockWorkMod to update.

thanks. but still i have to run the script every time a new app is installed, so that it could be moved to ext, right?

i don't have any problem with the 1st remark - i just copy music or files - it takes a couple of minutes and shutting down of app doesn't bother me.

as for "internal memory" the apps moved to ext are displayed as "SD" and what's more important the amount of ALL space in the internal memory (if i add ext part) doesn't change - 150mb (60mb of free space) - that's it (i thought ext part is added to the internal memory in the settings... kinda merged with it), besides i DON'T KNOW how much free space is left on this ext part. may i do something wrong? i get free space to install apps AFTER moving them to the ext part by running the spript/

my procedure

1. partitioned with clockworkmod

2. run a2sd reinstall

that's. is this how it works?

No, you don't need to run the script again. It's all taken care. All you have to do, is to do a clean installation or run the script once ('su' and 'a2sd reinstall' in terminal if you created the EXT partition afterwards).

You should keep your apps 'in phone' from application settings. This is the way that they are symlinked to the EXT partition.

You can do 'df -h' in terminal to see how much space is used on each partition. mtdblock6 is your data partition and mmcblk0p2 is you sd-ext partition.

Moved from 5 to 6 yesterday, Found a bug, may just be my install though.

But, I go menu>settings>ROM settings>About.....and I get a "The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again".

Then have to force close.

Not a huge bug granted :) . Apart from that dude, ROM is amazing as always.

It's more likely that you have installed theme/add-on that wasn't made using RLS6 files. Actually RLS6 doesn't even have 'ROM settings -> About' anymore. ;)

Edited by KonstaT

Guest D00nhamer

This ROM is the great. I changed to Nemus launcher and Swype keyboard, flashed the circle battery and used my wife as the wallpaper!.

Great work KonstaT.

screenshot-1331815401444.png

Edited by D00nhamer