[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2 | Kernel 2.6.32 | Camera works

Guest pier11

just got my first green screen with unmodified rom 28.01. :(

Did nothing special, just wanted to enter settings menu...

Has anyone experimented with JIT on/off regarding performance of 2d applications?

The visual artifacts in maps etc... do they happen with both, 16 bit transparency on and off? The settings screen warns it may cause artifacts.

I've never experienced green screen (I still use the 20120125 version).

I tried Antutu benchmark with JIT off. The result was half the score as with JIT enabled.

32/16 bit transparency seems that doesn't change anything in the benchmark.

32 bit transparency give the same artifacts in google maps.

Edited by rhen

just got my first green screen with unmodified rom 28.01. :(

Did nothing special, just wanted to enter settings menu...

Has anyone experimented with JIT on/off regarding performance of 2d applications?

The visual artifacts in maps etc... do they happen with both, 16 bit transparency on and off? The settings screen warns it may cause artifacts.

I have can't see any difference between JIT on or JIT off.

On another note, I did notice the rom becoming rather unstable after I used tre rom as a base, seemed like the memory management was unstable, shutting down the launcher etc very strange. . I was using RBM2 before. (I got a u8230).

On another note, I did notice the rom becoming rather unstable after I used tre rom as a base, seemed like the memory management was unstable, shutting down the launcher etc very strange. . I was using RBM2 before. (I got a u8230).

Sorry, you are right. JIT also doesn't make change. (The half score occurred maybe because something works in the background.)

JIT works best in browsers with java scripts and if you have background services, cause as it says, it compiles stuff "just in time" before they are used and caches them in ram memory.

Guest tchelobh

Hi! I'm new in the U8220 and i have few doubts that i cant find the explanation.. If someone can help, i'll be glad!

- How do i change my system partition size? What is the TRE or the CHT8000 roms? I was unable to find them.

- I'm with the first release of this rom installed on my U8220. That means that i already have the correct system partition?

All this questions are to solve the problem:

From an original U8220 (with original partition sizes), with clockworkmod installed, what are the steps to install that newest rom?

Sorry about my bad english.

Thanks,

- How do i change my system partition size? What is the TRE or the CHT8000 roms? I was unable to find them.

http://android.modac...ost__p__1891774

- I'm with the first release of this rom installed on my U8220. That means that i already have the correct system partition?

No, install TRE or CHT8000 if you are going to install google apps too (you won't have enough space otherwise.)

I've borrowed zram kernel code already from one of u8150 branches (in fact it did not belong to huawei original kernel, looks it's CM enhancement) and compiled it. Need to test if it with LZO fit into boot partition.

zram (compcache) works. Now need to commit to repo and properly arrange in CM build, remove the the old one.

sh-3.2# free

total     	used     	free   	shared  	buffers

Mem:    	107348   	103268     	4080        	0      	692

-/+ buffers:         	102576     	4772

Swap:    	19312     	7528    	11784

NEWS:

Jan 30: Updated rom:

- Compcache is functional now. ("Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance -> Compcache RAM Usage")

Edited by pier11

I've never experienced green screen (I still use the 20120125 version).

I tried Antutu benchmark with JIT off. The result was half the score as with JIT enabled.

32/16 bit transparency seems that doesn't change anything in the benchmark.

32 bit transparency give the same artifacts in google maps.

i have gone back to using 20120125 version since the 20120128 version kept giving me green screen partial reboots

NEWS:

- Compcache is functional now. ("Settings -> CyanogenMod settings -> Performance -> Compcache RAM Usage")

hi pier is possible for just kernel changes to put out a flashable zip?

cheers

hi pier is possible for just kernel changes to put out a flashable zip?

cheers

it's not only change in kernel, but rom itself holds new kernel module...

in theory you can create flashable kernel yourself - take this kernel from the second post cm7.2_u8220_20120127.zip, and replace boot.img with one taken from newer rom, flash via recover. (But remember of new kernel module - system/lib/modules/zram.ko - which is a part of rom, not boot image). Maybe it's not very good idea, internationalized rom holds different ram disk in fact.

Edited by pier11

NEWS:

Interesting that compcache combines with real cache (on sd card partition for example):

total 		used 		free   	shared  	buffers

Mem:    	107292   	105264 		2028        	0      	696

-/+ buffers: 			104568 		2724

Swap:    	81760 		6920    	74840

I have 19Mb of compcache and 62Mb swap on sd card.

Actually I found that the real swap partition gives me performance boost, not a compcache. Probably most evident on u8220 with really limited RAM. YMMV.

Hi, could you please direct me to where I can download the TRE 2.1 Rom? I've searched other threads but the Dropbox or Yousend.it links have expired or have been removed. Many thanks :)

Only TRE 2.1 and CHT8000 2.1 official roms can give such layout - big enough to accommodate the rom. UK roms are no more sufficient

Interesting that compcache combines with real cache (on sd card partition for example):

total 		used 		free   	shared  	buffers

Mem:    	107292   	105264 		2028        	0      	696

-/+ buffers: 			104568 		2724

Swap:    	81760 		6920    	74840

I have 19Mb of compcache and 62Mb swap on sd card.

Actually I found that the real swap partition gives me performance boost, not a compcache. Probably most evident on u8220 with really limited RAM. YMMV.

I wish I could remember the discussions I read concerning compcache more accurately, but my old mind is not so sharp. I do recall I came away with the conclusion that enabling compcache on a lowmemory device such as ours was not very desirable. I was convinced by what others were arguing that the sacrifice of memory was not worth it. As always, YMMV.

Guest LUISFPAZ

Hi again, I´m having a problem since I got this rom because I forgot to install google apps while flashing and I couldn´t get into recovery mode anymore I have tried reflashing reooting, but there is no way to reboot in recovery mode I have tried soft reboot, hotkey reboot (End+menu key) and it doesn´t work for me I would like to know if is there a way to try flashing from a PC cause I don´t know how to, I also tried to reflash by using (Menu +Vol up+ endkey) with my original rom but it doesnt show me the update screen neither, so please if any of you have any idea of how to reflasho my U8220 I would be glad thanks, sorry for my english.

Hi, could you please direct me to where I can download the TRE 2.1 Rom? I've searched other threads but the Dropbox or Yousend.it links have expired or have been removed. Many thanks :)

There are links earlier in this thread to both roms. I put them up on Mediafire. Please use the search function in the right column to find that post.

There are links earlier in this thread to both roms. I put them up on Mediafire. Please use the search function in the right column to find that post.

Ohh, thank you :D I was searching through other threads, didn't think it was posted anywhere in this one X)

I wish I could remember the discussions I read concerning compcache more accurately, but my old mind is not so sharp. I do recall I came away with the conclusion that enabling compcache on a lowmemory device such as ours was not very desirable. I was convinced by what others were arguing that the sacrifice of memory was not worth it. As always, YMMV.

Exactly, this is my experience too.

Real swap on sd card partition gives me significant performance boost,

while playing with compcache - don't.

I added it to kernel/rom just for completeness. It featured incompatible kernel module from previous kernel before that. (Also it's now newer generation - zram vs. ramzswap).

do you know by a chance what insmod zram.ko? The script referenced assumes that the module is either compiled already into kernel or loaded already.

Something probably did insmod (or modprobe) for older ramzswap.ko in our original cm7...

There is another potential option - lzma kernel image compression (currently gz is used), but .32 does doesn't support it out of box. (.35 does). And according to some measurement it could take up to 6 times more time to decompress the kernel at boot time. So I'm trying to stay away if I can.

Sorry I somehow missed that post. As compache works already, I conclude you already found it.

How much of the total boot time is used for decompressing the kernel? Isn't the kernel decompressed already once the "A N D R O I D" text appears on screen? I don't think that delay would be critical...

But of course, as long as it fits as is, there no need to switch to lzma.

Guest Freon35

Installed TRE ROM, than installed CWM recovery 3.1.0.1, installed Your ROM - rebooted, entered recovery and installed dtapps2sd, rebooted.

Than I settled dtapps2sd to install on SD, dalvik on SD, swap on with swappines 30. Then went to recovery one more time to install gapps.

Rebooted - backed up my apps with titanium backup, AND ALL works like a charm biggrin.gifcool.giflaugh.gif (My phone is 8220 - T-mobile Pulse)

This ROM is now for everyday use!

Guest lloco73

tested last rom cm7.2_u8220_20120130 and for what i see it's much slower, bootanimation is sow much slower than on previous rom, on boot and for the first time appeared a green screen before normal screen.

reverting to previous rom. (for now)

Sorry I somehow missed that post. As compache works already, I conclude you already found it.

How much of the total boot time is used for decompressing the kernel? Isn't the kernel decompressed already once the "A N D R O I D" text appears on screen? I don't think that delay would be critical...

But of course, as long as it fits as is, there no need to switch to lzma.

not sure, but likely.

playing with live wallpapers. Borrowed from u8150 (may be not right is its screen has different/smaller resolution).

it takes VERY long time to load them, either in preview or on the background. But after that it seems works. May be a bit on slow side. Could it be because the live wallpapers were "compiled" to device without GPU? (u8150)...

tested last rom cm7.2_u8220_20120130 and for what i see it's much slower, bootanimation is sow much slower than on previous rom, on boot and for the first time appeared a green screen before normal screen.

reverting to previous rom. (for now)

the rom is not different to cm7.2_u8220_20120128 except it holds updated compcache kernel module and kernel itself.

you may turn off compcache via setting menu. By default it set to 18%, and with the latest rom it really starts working :)

before it was like 0% no matter setting was in UI.

Edited by pier11