[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2 | Kernel 2.6.32 | Camera works

Guest pier11

this file

the script without comments, just to understand what it does.

it mounts 64Mb file /data/local/cache.img as a new cache.

original separate partition on flash for cache was 20Mb.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/local/cache.img bs=1024 count=65536 

mke2fs -F /data/local/cache.img  

umount /cache  

losetup /dev/block/loop7 /data/local/cache.img  

busybox mount /dev/block/loop7 /cache  

chown system.cache /cache  

chmod 770 /cache  

@zoki.m1:

with data2ext, is original /data partition is used for anything?

If not can we place the cache there? Or may be use the whole data partition for cache - ~80Mb.

I'd guess internal flash is faster than sd card and also meant for continuous read/writes. (original /cache was on "cache" partition of flash)

Edited by pier11

the script without comments, just to understand what it does.

it mounts 64Mb file /data/local/cache.img as a new cache.

original separate partition on flash for cache was 20Mb.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/local/cache.img bs=1024 count=65536 

mke2fs -F /data/local/cache.img  

umount /cache  

losetup /dev/block/loop7 /data/local/cache.img  

busybox mount /dev/block/loop7 /cache  

chown system.cache /cache  

chmod 770 /cache  

what's the point of this script? you have to run it if you use data2ext?

what's the point of this script? you have to run it if you use data2ext?

that was an essence of zoki.m1 script (attached above in this thread) for study. It mounts bigger /cache 64Mb vs. 20Mb originally. (my understanding)

After reading all the posts, it makes me wonder, am I the only one that has better performance (no lag or choppy menus) on the cm7 32 oc?

It is faster for me than the cm6 (way faster and smoother).

I went back to cm6 because cm7 was eating my battery like a snack. :/

btw I was using 614 cpu clock (the same with cm6).

can someone make this rom ext4 support ?

technically it's not difficult. A kernel config.

My concern is that we can run out of boot partition space 2.5MB...

yes i attach it so if pier11 can use for someting.I think it use internal memory not sd card

zoki.m1,

how can you compare phone performance with data2ext vs original rom (DT Apps2SD)? Is it faster, is it slower?

Edited by pier11

I think this is what causes my personal impression that CM6 or eclair are "faster" regarding the user interface, e.g. list scrolling in Settings menu. Is there something like hardware support for 2D graphics? Maybe in addition to 3D, which is fixed by replacing libEGL, for 2D there maybe s.th. broken...?

This might be the key to the user experience... always when running CM7 I've got the impression that something is just not right...

Same as me..

Can updated versions just be installed via recovery, no wipe etc., keeping all apps and system files?

install just overclocked kernel from separate zip if you need it.. You should be alright. (the other rom mostly fixes touchscreen problem for those who had it). No wipes.

Edited by pier11

here is a data2ext for this rom flash through recovery

1 uninstall a2sd

2 flash the file

3 in terminal emulator write data2ext --enable

4 restart

done

this only work on ext2 partition

Checked the package and found it extremely simple. Simple = Good.

Just single not very long script.

What it does in essence:

- each time on start it mounts your ext2 partition on sd card as /data (this is basically it).

- the very first time it copies files from original /data to that new /data. One time.

I like it.

EDIT:

in human language:

http://optimusv.wikispaces.com/Moving+data+directory+to+MicroSD+with+Data2ext

Edited by pier11

Guest desalesouche

After reading all the posts, it makes me wonder, am I the only one that has better performance (no lag or choppy menus) on the cm7 32 oc?

It is faster for me than the cm6 (way faster and smoother).

I went back to cm6 because cm7 was eating my battery like a snack. :/

btw I was using 614 cpu clock (the same with cm6).

excellent room my phone is runnig good at oc 729 compcach at 18 i use overclocker to underclock while screen is off and i save a lot of battery energy .got no lag just wifi cut...really enjoying the room and thx for people doing it...what about swap ,running or not ?...about the 64 cache file..does that work well?phone more efficient?

Guest baotica

1 Install rom 2 install gapps 3 install data2ext_for_cm.zip 4 reboot 5a in terminal a) su B) a2sd cachesd (it will reboot) 5b a) su B) a2sd remove (it will reboot) 6 in terminal a) su B) data2ext --enable 7 reboot 8 install Link2SD from market 9 go to settings of Link2SD and mark everything 10 if you get fc windows popups when starting just installed apps, reboot after you install app (any app). PS Do not forget that you have to have ext2 partition on your SD card.

1 Install rom 2 install gapps 3 install data2ext_for_cm.zip 4 reboot 5a in terminal a) su B) a2sd cachesd (it will reboot) 5b a) su B) a2sd remove (it will reboot) 6 in terminal a) su B) data2ext --enable 7 reboot 8 install Link2SD from market 9 go to settings of Link2SD and mark everything 10 if you get fc windows popups when starting just installed apps, reboot after you install app (any app). PS Do not forget that you have to have ext2 partition on your SD card.

why are you talking about Link2SD? with data2ext seems all apps are automatically get installed to ext partition of sd card. While android thinks it's its internal memory (/data). No more need to move applications do sd card, or move dalvic cache to sd card...

Edited by pier11

zoki.m1,

how can you compare phone performance with data2ext vs original rom (DT Apps2SD)? Is it faster, is it slower?

well i have tried with data2ext and it seems more sluggish than dt apss2sd. but it was not a totally equal comparison since i used the V6 Supercharger for Android which adjusts mem settings. will try data2ext xith supercharger settings.

though i suspect unless you have a confirmed fast SD card then best to stick with DT apps2sd (my card is branded a class 6)?

edit

yep to me (using a fairer comparison), although don't have an objective test, using dta2ext seems to slow UI interface interactions. gonna go back to using DT app2sd.

Edited by peelie

Holy crap! This is like a riddle: "How many different scripts does it take to move apps to SD?" :lol:

Any one of those should be sufficient to get the job done. Drop the rest.

I think there are only two questions to answer about this:

1. Which method gets the best results?

2. Which method is the most "idiot-proof" (so that there aren't a million complaints from people who can't get it to work)?

waste of time :)

CM should be compiled with all languages. (Though not sure it'll fit into partition after that :) )

So the "holy grail" is find a way to mess around with our device's partition sizes...... Where is Zebadger when we really need him?!! :lol:

Guest gold-concert

Strange ... Flashed data2ext (on my sdcard ext2 partition), booted up, the terminal has entered data2ext --enable, then completed reboot the terminal.

eventually transpired only folder data / app and data / app-private. Additional memory in the settings is not visible.

If you enter the terminal again data2ext --enable you get the response:

"Data2Ext is already enabled but not active ..."

Edited by gold-concert

Guest zoki.m1

Strange ... Flashed data2ext (on my sdcard ext2 partition), booted up, the terminal has entered data2ext --enable, then completed reboot the terminal.

eventually transpired only folder data / app and data / app-private. Additional memory in the settings is not visible.

If you enter the terminal again data2ext --enable you get the response:

"Data2Ext is already enabled but not active ..."

did you delete a2sd files from rom first because your partition is used by it and data2ext can't mount .