[ROM] Early Days Test CM9 Build

Guest Fuzzra

Guest Titas

Hmm, I can't seem to get the update to work, will it be the same if I just flash the default rom?

Hi PsYcHoKiLLa - I've held back on offering advice cos I feared I might be teaching grandmother to suck eggs but in the absence of expert advice here goes! Well, I'm puzzled cos this I flashed this ROM + small gapps without a problem. My phone has 200 Mb for system & 162 mb for data. As you know, 200 Mb is recommended for ICS & Amorphas has said he'll add a TPT for this asap.

What space do you have? Did you use one of Amorphas's TPT's to re-size to 160Mb? If so it stands to reason that you would have a problem with ICS +

Re-flashing the TPT of the stock ROM would restore the original layout - a relatively quick & easy solution I think. Good Luck

Edited by Titas

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Thanks for that mate, I'm trying to get the stock rom back in at the moment, adb is being a pain tho, I managed to get clockwork in with the download.exe. Once I get the stock in, I'll try the ICS build again.

Thanks again

Guest Amphoras

Yeah I tried choosing "Create Your Own TPT" in Amphoras's TPT Helper, it doesn't do anything...at all.

I don't have either of these phones to make sure it works properly on them, so until I could find someone to test it, I disabled it for those phones.

I just remembered there about these TPTs to flash just recovery. They have the stock layout, so should be easier get a bigger system partition that trying to use the update tool thing. While they won't wipe any data coming from the stock layout, they might if you are coming from another TPT, so backup anything you want to keep first. I will try and make another custom one with a proper layout for ICS this weekend, but hopefully they will help for now.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Woot Woot!

Finally seem to be getting ICS working, a few lockups and reboots yes but I expected that.

One question, there doesn't seem to be an option in the market, as there is on gingerbread, to only download apps from the market through wireless only, can anyone tell me if it does this automatically? I only get 100MB per month internet on my package so it's pretty important.

Guest plegdroid

Get droidwall phyche

@phyche,don't want to come across as being a troll, but if you can't get droidwall to work with ics, download iptables, run iptables first, then droidwall and it will work. :)

Guest jasonleeds

awesome, glad to see youve got it working dude

Just a bit of an update on my phone,

Been playing a lot with the overclocking and it makes a hell of a difference with ICS

currently after much testing with different combos

122mhz > 902mhz - ONDEMAND - VM 48mb - NO surface dithering

using this combo seems to be the most stable and it mostly speedy.

battery life has been pretty good too, all in all its made a full day at work, with me fiddling with it when bored and n hour or so of music, bout n hour of wifi browsing.

still @ 13% now.

So bar the lack of camera, ive been really enjoying this ROM

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I've gone back to Gingabread for now but I've done a clockwork backup for the ICS so I can dip back into it when I want :)

Just to say, Tilal also advises (on the Skate anyway) setting the background processes to 2 in the developer options, I also noticed an option to use HW accelerated 2D graphics, not sure if this might speed you up also.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Fuzzra

Now updated.

Overclocking seems to be working up to 1036mhz

testing 902mhz with smartassv2

@ 18:40 setting cpu to 1036mhz locks the phone almost instantly

The *ability* to select a clock rate doesn't mean it'll work. The trick with overclocking anything is to find out how fast you can get it to go without being unstable. This can be different for two chips sawn from beside each other on the same wafer.

Guest Titas

Now updated.

The *ability* to select a clock rate doesn't mean it'll work. The trick with overclocking anything is to find out how fast you can get it to go without being unstable. This can be different for two chips sawn from beside each other on the same wafer.

Thanks for your work on this Fuzzra! You're update coincided with F&C rls3 so I almost missed it! Perhaps you could post a changelog, when you get a chance of course!

Guest Fuzzra

RapidShare, boo! Throttling is causing these downloads to take a hour. What's wrong with MediaFire? :(

Your wish is my command. I probably vaguely remember some annoyance with MediaFire from years ago which stopped me from thinking of it.

Thanks for your work on this Fuzzra! You're update coincided with F&C rls3 so I almost missed it! Perhaps you could post a changelog, when you get a chance of course!

I dare say I will soon. Since the first version had a bit of a tendency to curl up and die a lot it's probably not worth taking anything before now as a base point for it.

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Just flashed this and I have to say it seems a lot smoother than the previous release, I notice you stripped back the governor list, you think the 2 additional entries were causing instability?

EDIT: Just flashed the 24/2 version of gapps and trebuchet refuses to fire up now, just keeps force closing, I'll try the "gapps 4.0.1 small" version I was using before.

Quick question: I noticed an entry in the Developer Options, labelled "Force GPU rendering", as this rom should have HW acceleration, is it advisable to enable this? (EDIT: I'm guessing not cos I tried it enabled but it's TONS smoother disabled)

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

So far, I'd have to say this release is AMAZING (For my San Francisco II) !!!

Very smooth, I haven't had one FC, freeze or reboot and I've now got all my apps installed. I'm gonna do a fix permissions with rom manager, then back it up with clockwork, then try using titanium to start removing the apps I'm never going to use and replacing some with custom apps, like replacing the gallery and wallpaper apps with quickpic, my favourite image app, fast and simple.

I have noticed a couple of mistypes when using the stock keyboard but nowhere near as bad as the 2.3 Vivacity based roms. (EDIT: Using SlideIt now which works perfectly fine)

I'll report back how it goes after I've cleaned it all up but I have to say I would really recommend this as a daily use rom right now!!

Well done Fuzzra and of course, many thanks to Tilal for his continuing support to us all :)

EDIT: Now deleted all the apps/parts I'm never gonna use (Like sound recorder, movie maker, news and weather) and deleted the gallery and live wallpapers and using quickpic instead which works perfectly, lists all the images on the sd card like it should, it's also really fast. This rom is now staying on my phone for now!! (Not tried calls or texts yet so hopefully they'll be fine)

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Titas

ROM is now running smoothly on Vivacity. Overclocked to 902MHz without any issues. Used small Gapps zip - had a quick look at GooManager but it didn't seem immediately obvious which package was the one I needed ?? Maybe with a bit more time...........

Main issue is camera not working but I see tilal seems to have fixed that on Skate now. Haven't tried Gallery - if not it will be interesting to see if QuicPic or similar market app would work

Otherwise calculator not working but replacement from market is fine.

Home soft button not working

As on previous release I can't sign in to Google Calendar (" Account already exists") - I think the domain name may be incorrect. Calengoo worked fine though

Wifi connected but icon grayed out - something to with the above maybe(?) Strange tho as Market & Gmail work OK

Bluetooth - not tested

Overall it feels pretty snappy & really useable as a day to day rom. If the camera can be fixed I think most people would be very happy with it. Well done Fuzzra - keep up the great work & thanks again!

Edited by Titas

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I knew it was too good to be true :(

It's a real battery muncher!!! 75% gone overnight, from full charge and that's even with using SetCPU to ramp down to between 100-200MHz when the screen is off. (or at least it says it is, maybe it's not)

Also I keep getting a message saying Google TTS crashed when I'm in Browser, GMail, etc. I have a suspicion that's cos I started removing apps but I don't remember removing that.

I was also surprised to get an e-mail saying congrats on your new Galaxy Nexus, I got excited for a bit until I saw the text at the bottom "We sent you this one-time welcome message because you recently activated your Google account on a Galaxy Nexus phone. " :)

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Titas

I knew it was too good to be true :(

It's a real battery muncher!!! 75% gone overnight, from full charge and that's even with using SetCPU to ramp down to between 100-200MHz when the screen is off. (or at least it says it is, maybe it's not)

Also I keep getting a message saying Google TTS crashed when I'm in Browser, GMail, etc. I have a suspicion that's cos I started removing apps but I don't remember removing that.

I was also surprised to get an e-mail saying congrats on your new Galaxy Nexus, I got excited for a bit until I saw the text at the bottom "We sent you this one-time welcome message because you recently activated your Google account on a Galaxy Nexus phone. " :)

Hmmm. Of course battery stats on a new ROM can be very misleading - maybe they will improve once the ROM has settled down. Did you re-calibrate?

I think I vaguely remember that TTS may be integrally linked to another Google app - possibly Google Talk - did you remove one of the gapps?

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Hmmm. Of course battery stats on a new ROM can be very misleading - maybe they will improve once the ROM has settled down. Did you re-calibrate?

I think I vaguely remember that TTS may be integrally linked to another Google app - possibly Google Talk - did you remove one of the gapps?

I did remove a couple, including Google Talk. :(

Think I'll reflash and leave all the apps in.

Just for info I installed droidwall to block the market from using my 3g but soon after the market displayed it's own options to only use wireless.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest Titas

Just re-flashed again without deleting these apps and still get the error :(

PsYcH - sorry to hear you're new Nexus is playing up - maybe send it back under warranty? biggrin.gif

I flashed this twice today to see if I could sign in to Calendar & get wifi icon showing a normal Google link (not grayed out) but no luck there. The second time I flashed the 1st gapps package I found for ICS in GooManager gapps-ics-20120201-signed.zip - is that right?

No TTS issues here tho & I'm really surprised you have that error after a clean re-flash - sorry, that was my best (only) shot. unsure.gif

I've fully charged & re-calibrated & will be interested to see battery level tomorrow tho it''ll probably take another full charge cycle to get a more accurate representation of battery performance. Sync is off; no O/C, Airplane mode; fingers crossed - lol

Edit: For what it's worth it dropped from 98% to 96% overnight but since - after an hour of mainly standby - has dropped to 90%

Edit: looks like gapps is 20120304 - I'll try flashing that

Edited by Titas

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

I didn't actually get any joy apart from when using the small gapps zip labelled gapps-ics-4.0.1-small.zip, here's a download for it :

http://uploading.com....0.1-small.zip/

Quick question also, does anyone know what the partition sizes in the default rom are? Just asking cos I have a lot of clockwork backups from all the roms here and I know you probably can't flash them back if you've used a TPT and I was going to flash the new ICS TPT Amphoras made us :)

I also tried flashing the latest goo-inside ICS GApps releases but they don't work, I'm just wondering if it's because of partition sizes.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Guest PsYcHoKiLLa

Well, I installed Amphoras's new TPT and it did the trick :)

The latest gapps works fine, market is downloading all my apps itself right now without asking, which is a bit annoying cos I had to interrupt it and get the wireless on and make sure it was downloading thru wireless.

Gonna have a root about once it's all done and see how it's doing.

Guest adroc

hello guys !

I'm closely following this thread, as I ordered a Crescent and would like to have it running with cyanogen.

I see you have various results with gapps, but how do you think it would work without gapps at all ? I'd rather use f-droid repository.