[ICS] [CM9] [4.0.4] CyanogenMod 9 for the ZTE Crescent [ROM] [Last updated: 13/07]

Guest Dazzozo

Guest Dazzozo

Yeah, I was going to do a build anyway, it's just convenient that CM9 has also hit stable.

Turns out the fix in CM10 was actually for Wi-Fi tethering. I'm not sure where the problem is with sleep, does it definitely not sleep given hours?

I can try and knock on some people's doors to see if I can get some answers, but if I can't find a fix then obviously it won't be fixed. The Skate must be suffering from it too...

Guest dodgetimmy

Running fn7 my os2 the phone won't sleep if Wi-Fi is set to always on in advanced. Is it suppose to sleep? Or does sleeping only occur when this isn't set as always on?

Guest MadEye Moody

Yeah, I was going to do a build anyway, it's just convenient that CM9 has also hit stable.

Turns out the fix in CM10 was actually for Wi-Fi tethering. I'm not sure where the problem is with sleep, does it definitely not sleep given hours?

I can try and knock on some people's doors to see if I can get some answers, but if I can't find a fix then obviously it won't be fixed. The Skate must be suffering from it too...

The problem occurs during sleep. The wifi seems to turn off, but when the phone is woken, it won't turn on. After that, it can't be turned off wither in settings or using the notification widget

Guest OuahOuah

Just lookint at this promising ROM.

Few questions : will the front camera and panorama problems be solved or is it not possible ?

Is hardware decoding present in another ROM like fishnchips or not ?

Great work anyway :)

Guest Dazzozo

Just lookint at this promising ROM.

Few questions : will the front camera and panorama problems be solved or is it not possible ?

Is hardware decoding present in another ROM like fishnchips or not ?

Great work anyway :)

Front camera is theoretically possible.

Hardware decoding is not. That requires vendor involvement, and Qualcomm have already stated they are not doing this as it is a dated platform.

You're expecting a lot here, we're taking a phone from one version of Android, to the next and beyond. Things just break because standards change and if you have no source code for most things because of the proprietary nature of phone development, you're a bit stuck.

Don't expect new support or features in CM9 however, development has been shifted to CM10 as eventually that will supersede this.

Guest Frankish

No mine is fine with charger in. One issue don't know if it's just me. When writing a message in stock app my letters don't show up. If I rotate the screen they show up to where I got to. Then don't show again. Force close messaging and it's fine again

Guest Malteser

Guys,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I could not find any reference to it in this forum.

I have installed the latest ROM exactly according to instructions, but I cannot use the camcorder - It looks like its recording normally, but the recorded video is unplayable and has a black thumbnail. Any ideas? BTW I have a Vivacity

Edited by Malteser

Guest CurtisAndroidSF2

Guys,

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I could not find any reference to it in this forum.

I have installed the latest ROM exactly according to instructions, but I cannot use the camcorder - It looks like its recording normally, but the recorded video is unplayable and has a black thumbnail. Any ideas? BTW I have a Vivacity

Download MX Player and the MX Arm6 codecs from the Market and use that to play the videos back.

Guest MUF DVR

Here is how I flashed my custom ROM to my ZTE Crescent, realised it wasn't unlocked, reflashed the stock Orange ROM, unlocked it and then reflashed my custom ROM (you can only unlock your phone to use other SIM cards if it is operating the stock Orange ROM):

I followed the instructions on this page to get my phone ready to install a custom ROM: http://sanfranciscoandroid.co.uk/android/unlock-orange-san-francisco-ii/how-to-unlock-the-orange-san-francisco-ii-for-free/

When it comes to the part near the end where it says "Install zip from SDcard", I went to this site and installed the Cyanogenmod 9 ROM by Dazzozzo:

I then realised I had to revert to stock ROM to unlock, so I simply followed the same instructions, except when it came to "Install zip from SDcard", I installed the stock ROM that was relevant to my phone (ie. the newest one) listed on this topic:

Then I followed the instructions listed by Brownian on the following website and reproduced below, to unlock and then put back on my custom ROM in the final steps:

1 Using a stock ROM, eg, new out of the box, with a good charge:

2. Write down MAC for wifi (and BT), optional, unused.

3. Install drivers (driver.rar) so phone is detected, essential, Windows is stoopid.

4. You may be informed of a COM port when you next connect your phone, if so use this one in step (9).

5. Get a ROM, for your ZTE Crescent, Fish N Chips comes tailored to either TMV or OSFII, others require special kernels (see eg, Bouncer5's post).

6. Get that ROM onto SD's root, rename it update.zip.

7. Install QPST (I use 2.7 build 366).

8. Reboot into FTM mode (hold power and vol- until "FTM" appears).

9. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->QPST Configuration”. Port tab. Click “Add New Port”. Some say the left box displays COM5, I had COM4 before installing ZTE USB driver and additionally COM24 after. Use the port the ZTE USB driver gives you. Close “QPST Configuration”.

10. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->Software Download".

11. Choose Backup tab, select destination, click Start button, ensure 100% and file: DEADD00D_*.qcn is present (eg 153kb).

12. Extract Unlock_Vivacity (or similar) and run download.exe.

13. If you get an error pop-up about "arm**" not present/working you need to check (ie repeat) driver installation.

14. Otherwise download.exe will present the option to unlock your device. START. Takes about 2 minutes, phone will restart. Ensure this window displays "PASS", then close it.

15. Run "Windows:StartMenu->QPST->Software Download" as in step (10).

16. Choose Restore tab, select your DEADD00D_*.qcn file from step (11). Ensure COM port used in step (9) is showing then click the Start button.

17. If unsuccessful then select “Allow Phone/File ESN mismatch” checkbox and repeat. Note: This info is sketchy I have not tried it despite being nominally unsuccessful (99% followed by reboot of phone and QPST error message. WiFi MAC was still restored though) I was left in CWM which I don’t imagine would make a good starting point to repeat the restore from (use FTM but then you may struggle getting CWM back (as I did once I had flashed my new ROM)).

18. Congratulations your phone is now unlocked and you are back in the safe hands of CWM. Choose a new ROM, I don’t think you can revert to the ROM you started with anymore but must instead load any appropriate zipped one (update.zip etc which may be the stock starting ROM). Beyond the scope of this post...

Thanks again to Dazzozzo and Brownian and everybody else involved in helping to make my phone much better! =]

Guest djsupreme

Double post

Hi, will this work on TMV?

Would be useful if you could help me out cause not able to find a suitable tpt to increase system partition to 220 MB

Many thanks.

Guest chris231

Hi, will this work on TMV?

Would be useful if you could help me out cause not able to find a suitable tpt to increase system partition to 220 MB

Many thanks.

could probably make you a TPT if you wanted....

what partition sizes do you have at the moment?

could unzip rom remove uneeded stuff and then flash to get the size down

Chris

Guest plewis1981

Chris

Guest djsupreme

Chris

Thanks for the offer Chris. Would really appreciate if you could unzip and remove stuff to trim the Rom such that (ROM + Gapps < 200mb).

I believe my system partition is currently 200 mb (but i'm not 100% sure). When i instaled this ROM + GAPPS, a lot of the the apps like gmail, maps etc were missing.

Also, i wouldnt mind trying to increase system partition to 250 mb,

cheers mate.

Guest chris231

firstly not sure the key combination to flash a TPT on vivacity, so might have to flash it from tpt helper. Someone else might be able to tell us the answer to this.

gapps doesn't install stuff like maps and gmail and the like, if you want these just get them from play store

you only want the system partition large enough to get the rom and gapps installed, plus about 10mb space left.

otherwise you'll have no space (or v little) for apps, these will use space on userdata partition not system. But using the a2sd script with a partition on sd card can help a fair bit. (would recommend doing this)

use the diskinfo app from play store to find your current partition sizes. List the cache as well, this max size determines the largest app from play store you can install. (i normally use 20mb cache)

I've not done a TPT for vivacity, but know it's similar to SF2, will take me a little while, so need to be sure of the partition sizes you need.

If you have a 200mb system partition already then, then could just cut down rom and gapps to fit and save the space for userdata.

If your not comfortable removing bits from the rom, then I could probably do that, but if you look back through the thread you can find what could be removed. Check there's nothing you'd need.

Guest djsupreme

firstly not sure the key combination to flash a TPT on vivacity, so might have to flash it from tpt helper. Someone else might be able to tell us the answer to this.

gapps doesn't install stuff like maps and gmail and the like, if you want these just get them from play store

you only want the system partition large enough to get the rom and gapps installed, plus about 10mb space left.

otherwise you'll have no space (or v little) for apps, these will use space on userdata partition not system. But using the a2sd script with a partition on sd card can help a fair bit. (would recommend doing this)

use the diskinfo app from play store to find your current partition sizes. List the cache as well, this max size determines the largest app from play store you can install. (i normally use 20mb cache)

I've not done a TPT for vivacity, but know it's similar to SF2, will take me a little while, so need to be sure of the partition sizes you need.

If you have a 200mb system partition already then, then could just cut down rom and gapps to fit and save the space for userdata.

If your not comfortable removing bits from the rom, then I could probably do that, but if you look back through the thread you can find what could be removed. Check there's nothing you'd need.

Thanks Chris.

As per DiskInfo:

Cache = 57 MB

Data = 162 MB

System = 200 MB

I'm currently using Fish 'n' Chips rom and have created an SD-EXT partition using A2SD gui.

I would like to do the same with CM9 but even though i flashed the .zip attached in this post, A2SD gui did not work for me on CM9.

I'd be happy with a trimmed down version of the Rom + Gapps instread of re-partioning. Would i have to repartition my SD card? I currently have an SD_EXT partition of 1GB

Guest chris231

no shouldn't have to repartition sd.

but not sure why the a2sd script is not working in cm9, work well for me.

did you create the sd partition using CWM recovery?

did you flash rom then gapps then a2sd script all in CWM?

will try and sort you out a trimmed version tomorrow evening after work

djsupreme you have pm

Edited by chris231

Guest ultraviolet1

Hey guys, Brilliant thread and a big thanks for all the hard work! This is probably going to sound like a really stupid question, but i'm stuck.

Like a moron, i didn't bother to write down my mac address and now can't connect to wifi. In fact, WiFi won't even turn on. I followed the instructions down to a t (Obviously all but the one about making a record of my mac address :$) I've tried downloading es explorer, granting it root/write privileges and then editing the NV4330b1.txt file, but I'm still having no luck.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and once again another apology for the stupid question!

Thanks in advance,

UV.

Guest chris231

hhmmmmmm....

just a long shot, did you use you phone on wireless before you unlocked (if that's what you did)?

because my firewall/network logs all the mac addresses of devices connecting to it. Worth a check?

Anyway, there is some stuff on this in the skate forum, if you have a search there.

not had this issue my self, can you get it to tell you what mac address it thinks it has?

What was the chain of events that led you to this issue. Unlocking?

Edited by chris231

Guest ultraviolet1

Hi there, thanks for the reply!

Up until yesterday my wifi had always worked, it was just the rest of the phone that didn't. When I look up the mac adress it just says that it's unavailable, along with the bluetooth mac (Unless bluetooth is on, in which case it displays one, oddly enough).

I was having issues with the phone, and having just upgraded to a htc i fancied having ago with rooting/custom roms and CM9 so up until yesterday, I'd never done anything like this. First of all I installed Clock work recovery, and then the stock Orange SF II rom/kernel which worked fine, then I flashed FNC which didn't work as i think i installed the wrong version, like a noob. Then followed the instructions from this thread to flash CM9, which again worked fine apart from the mac issue, everything is working perfectly.

Thanks again for the input!

UV.

Guest chris231

ok, so you never did the unlocking procedure.

Seems odd that this could have deleted the mac.

If it were me I'd flash back to stock and see if it works.

I have been tell someone how to do that on this thread.

Just follow it carefully or it will completely brick it.