Compiling CM9 (and maybe CM10) for Blade

Guest sej7278

Guest jventura

My clean build fails on Settings also.. I've repo sync'ed, apply those 2 patches + blackscreen patch.. Sej, didn't you had compilation problems with Settings? What did you do more?

Guest shezar

Are you talking about sej's latest build? (today)

He is.

My clean build fails on Settings also.. I've repo sync'ed, apply those 2 patches + blackscreen patch.. Sej, didn't you had compilation problems with Settings? What did you do more?

Is it possible that OpenJDK causes this? Well at least that's what I build with. It dies on the new Vibration control patch which got merged recently. Not sure why, I didn't check the error message.

Guest sej7278

i didn't have problems building no. i use oracle/sun java 6u31 not openjdk and gcc 4.5, what were the errors you had? not more gcc 4.7 problems?

Guest shezar

i didn't have problems building no. i use oracle/sun java 6u31 not openjdk and gcc 4.5, what were the errors you had? not more gcc 4.7 problems?

I don't think gcc would complain about java stuff. I'll copy/paste here the exact message if it dies again. I used openjdk because the suggested repos that I found didn't contain sun java.

Guest jventura

Is it possible that OpenJDK causes this? Well at least that's what I build with. It dies on the new Vibration control patch which got merged recently. Not sure why, I didn't check the error message.

Don't know about OpenJDK, I use sun's java6.. Yeap, to me it dies also in something related with Vibration in Settings, even in my clean build..

Lets wait to see if Sej can explain if he add more patches than the 2 reverts and the blackscreen (I think the "mini" patch would not affect this, although with it, it also failed to me but I have not tried a clean build..)

Guest shezar

Funny, the tenderloin guys also had/have the UI lag, seems that most adreno-based devices were affected. I hope the patches get merged. Soon.

Guest sej7278

Don't know about OpenJDK, I use sun's java6.. Yeap, to me it dies also in something related with Vibration in Settings, even in my clean build..

Lets wait to see if Sej can explain if he add more patches than the 2 reverts and the blackscreen (I think the "mini" patch would not affect this, although with it, it also failed to me but I have not tried a clean build..)

nope, just the blackscreen and mini patch (which only removes some videos and changes bootanimation) and the 2 reverts, oh and the lunch patch but that's irrelevant.

i've got the frameworks/base/core/java/android/app/VibratorSettings.java and packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/profiles/VibratorPreference.java files which were new files added by those patches, so they definitely build ok for me.

Guest shmizan

okay! back in business! compiled successfully and working really good. 2 reverts did wonders. it is really fast now.

clock animation is good. menu's are fast. I can sleep happy tonight

Guest shmizan

the make installclean is tricky. sometimes it works, sometimes not. don't know what other solution we have. making every build with clean out directory is out of the question. but sometimes I get 2-3 builds with the date of yesterday, each after make installclean, and the 4th build will have today's date. don't get it.

found something silly: the ICS window transition style does not apply in the launcher settings windows.. in every other window it does!

Guest sej7278

It seems like Settings is compiling normally now. I just had to clean /out. Goooood :)

i am resisting the urge to say I TOLD YOU SO.

i think the rule is if you must use make installclean and have problems, delete out/ and try again before reporting problems.

Guest shezar

i am resisting the urge to say I TOLD YOU SO.

i think the rule is if you must use make installclean and have problems, delete out/ and try again before reporting problems.

I'll remember that. :) And indeed, you told me so. But for God's sake, I'm the type of guy who learns by his own mistakes, unfortumately :D But again, let this issue be my biggest problem in life.

Guest sej7278

I'll remember that. :) And indeed, you told me so. But for God's sake, I'm the type of guy who learns by his own mistakes, unfortumately :D But again, let this issue be my biggest problem in life.

lol, just don't take up sky diving ok? :)

Guest shezar

lol, just don't take up sky diving ok? :)

Even I'm not that crazy :)

But I'm crazy enough to start building CM9 using 1 (yes, 1!) job. 3 hours has passed. But at least my PC is a bit more usable than with 4 jobs.

I'm in constant need of memory. Both in my head and in my PC, lol :D Anyways I think you should include in the OP, that with less than 4GB ram and without SSD building takes forever.

Guest jventura

It seems like Settings is compiling normally now. I just had to clean /out. Goooood :)

Damn, I've done a clean build again, repo sync a dozen times, but still having problems with that Settings thing.. :blink:

Edit: Oh damn, frameworks/base/core/java/android/app/VibratorSettings.java was there but disapeared when I add a patch! Restarting..

These are the first errors:

packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/profiles/ProfileConfig.java:28: cannot find symbol

symbol  : class VibratorSettings

import android.app.VibratorSettings;

^

packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/profiles/ProfileConfig.java:432: cannot find symbol

location: class com.android.settings.profiles.ProfileConfig.VibratorItem

VibratorSettings mSettings;

^

packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/profiles/VibratorPreference.java:21: cannot find symbol

import android.app.VibratorSettings;

^

Then fail here..

packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/cyanogenmod/NavBar.java:106: cannot find symbol

symbol  : variable NAV_BUTTONS

Settings.System.NAV_BUTTONS, null);

^

packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/profiles/ProfileConfig.java:214: cannot find symbol

symbol  : method getAirplaneMode()

.getAirplaneMode()]);

^

packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/profiles/ProfileConfig.java:215: cannot find symbol

symbol  : method getAirplaneMode()

mAirplaneModePreference.setValue(String.valueOf(mProfile.getAirplaneMode()));

^

.... (plus many more like these)

Edited by jventura

Guest shezar

By clean install I hope you mean deleted out folder. I did that and it compiled the apk-s nicely, now it's been building libwebcore for an hour or so. :D That lib is always a long one.

Anyway it can't find the VibratorSettings class, I guess that something got stuck in your staging area. (If you only ran make installclean, that's definitely the case) I shouldn't guess at midnight.

Edited by shezar

Guest sej7278

Damn, I've done a clean build again, repo sync a dozen times, but still having problems with that Settings thing.. :blink:

Edit: Oh damn, frameworks/base/core/java/android/app/VibratorSettings.java was there but disapeared when I add a patch! Restarting..

i assume you're applying patches by checking them out and they're conflicting then.

you need to reset all your git checkouts or branches by the sounds of it - and delete out/ instead of make installclean.

as far as slow builds go, i don't know if ssd's make much difference, my ~/.ccache and /tmp is on ssd but the build itself is just a 7200rpm hard drive. that said, laptops seem to do the worst as they're on crappy 5400rpm drives.

4gb ram is pushing it as half that is likely to be the OS (and software if doing it in a vm) but i don't see a huge amount more ram used on my 8/12gb machines, you could probably get away with 6gb comfortably.

i think most important is cores/threads and megahertz of the cpu, the main difference between my 55 minute machine and my 75 minute machine is a 33% faster cpu. i think even crazy 24gb 16 core dual xeon build servers are still taking 30mins+ from what jbq said.

Edited by sej7278

Guest sej7278

For the ones who could compile with the reverts, how do you add patches to your local repo?

When I apply this patch (http://review.cyanog....com/#/c/16028/) using checkout/Anonymous HTTP, it deletes my VibratorSettings.java from frameworks/base/core/java/android/app...

use patch instead of checkout, as i said above somewhere (couple of pages back at most?)

p.s. what is navigation bar anyway, is it notification area or softbuttons or something?

Edited by sej7278

Guest shezar

i assume you're applying patches by checking them out and they're conflicting then.

you need to reset all your git checkouts or branches by the sounds of it - and delete out/ instead of make installclean.

as far as slow builds go, i don't know if ssd's make much difference, my ~/ccache and /tmp is on ssd but the build itself is just a 7200rpm hard drive. that said, laptops seem to do the worst as they're on crappy 5400rpm drives.

4gb ram is pushing it as half that is likely to be the OS (and software if doing it in a vm) but i don't see a huge amount more ram used on my 8/12gb machines, you could probably get away with 6gb comfortably.

i think most important is cores/threads and megahertz of the cpu, the main difference between my 55 minute machine and my 75 minute machine is a 33% faster cpu. i think even crazy 24gb 16 core dual xeon build servers are still taking 30mins+ from what jbq said.

I have a dual core (HT capable so virtually quad core) core i5 @2.5GHz with 3GB ram and a 5400rpm hdd. Good for me. My bottleneck is the HDD (the activity led is constantly on with more than 1 job) and RAM (on java building and general linking it eats my 3GB + 1 of swap) So the build takes forever, and a bit longer if I want to use the PC while it's building.

The j1 case doesn't utilize the whole CPU nor the RAM (the whole time at least), sometimes when it has to swap the PC slows down but that's only occasionally.

With more jobs I have no chance to do anything else when building. Simply 3GB isn't enough, so it swaps and tries to read source files at the same time in multiple threads. Parallelism for I/O is a killer thing.

Edit: Navbar = soft buttons

2nd edit: it's done. 4 hours of build time, not bad. Well... better than 6

Edited by shezar

Guest jventura

use patch instead of checkout, as i said above somewhere (couple of pages back at most?)

p.s. what is navigation bar anyway, is it notification area or softbuttons or something?

I'm trying to use patch, but if I cd into the project directory, and paste the patch into the command line, it only shows me the diff, and doesn't apply the changes (did you understand this explanation? I'm pretty newbie as you can see)..

Navigation bar? Oh, you mean on the errors above? I don't know, never seen that piece of code in my life.. :)