Compiling CM9 (and maybe CM10) for Blade

Guest sej7278

Guest nio25

Hi,

I tried to compile my ICS, and I followed the first post's instructions.

Everything went fine, but in the 5.point, when I paste make bacon -j8

I get an error:

https://www.dropbox....7b9l1/error.png

What did I wrong?

Possibly low memory...use (more) swap and/or less threads (-j4 for example)

Edited by nio25

Guest nio25

Hmm im not sure...can you give us the sepcs of your vm? (cpu/cores-ram-swap)

I was building in a vm with 4 cores and 2gb ram (and no swap) and i was getting the same error.

Edited by nio25

Hmm im not sur...can you give us the sepcs of your vm? (cpu/cores-ram-swap)

I am using VMware Player, installed ubuntu 12.04

I have got a A6-3400m CPU, I gave 3cores for the virtual machine.

I have 4GB DDR3 RAM, and I gave 1GB.(usage is about 4-50%)

I do not have swap, because when I expanded the ext4 partition, my swap dissapeared.

Edit: And how did you solve it?

Edited by t181

Guest targetbsp

The VM needs more ram than 1gb to compile ICS. Even GB needs about 1.7 with a single thread or it aborts.

I'm not actually sure how much ICS needs. It seems to need about 4 with the -j8 switch in post 1 which i have given it (2gb ram and 2gb of swap) but it needs less without the switch.

The VM needs more ram than 1gb to compile ICS. Even GB needs about 1.7 with a single thread or it aborts.

I'm not actually sure how much ICS needs. It seems to need about 4 with the -j8 switch in post 1 which i have given it (2gb ram and 2gb of swap) but it needs less without the switch.

But...I tried to give for Ubuntu swap, after i installed it, but the system couldn't see it.

Guest targetbsp

But...I tried to give for Ubuntu swap, after i installed it, but the system couldn't see it.

During Ubuntus install, it appears to give it the same amount of swap as you gave the VM ram during the install. Bit late now but that's the easiest way to handle it if you ever have to set it up again the future.

During Ubuntus install, it appears to give it the same amount of swap as you gave the VM ram during the install. Bit late now but that's the easiest way to handle it if you ever have to set it up again the future.

Yes, I know, but I thought I wont need it...

I gave 2.3GB RAM, and I think it works.

There are lot of lines which starts with: target thumb c++, target thumb c, host c++, etc...

ohhh, my cpu... :D

But, Thanks guys for help! ;)

EDIT: ohhh, no...I think my RAM will give out...

Windows says, I have 53MB left...

If compiling stops, what should I delete, to restart compiling?

Edited by t181

Guest sej7278

windows :)

seriously a vm sucks for this kind of thing, i tried compiling xbmc in a vm on a 3ghz quad core (4gb/2 cores allocated) and it was actually slower than doing it on a 1.6ghz 2gb atom! laptops suck too, slow drives and slow ram i guess.

Guest asm19

windows

seriously a vm sucks for this kind of thing, i tried compiling xbmc in a vm on a 3ghz quad core (4gb/2 cores allocated) and it was actually slower than doing it on a 1.6ghz 2gb atom! laptops suck too, slow drives and slow ram i guess.

True, nothing better than a clean install on a desktop.

Guest targetbsp

EDIT: ohhh, no...I think my RAM will give out...

Windows says, I have 53MB left...

You can just give it more memory and just start compiling again and it will be fine. :)

I ended up increasing my ram to 6gb for compiling roms. Mostly cause I have DDR2 and ram is really expensive. DDR3 is dirt cheap so you probably may as well go to 8 if you get into doing this regularly. :)

Edited by targetbsp

Guest targetbsp

windows

Whilst it may take longer, I can play Tropico 4 whilst it's doing it. :D

Guest jventura

By the way, for those using VM's to compile ICS, I recommend Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu, mainly because the memory footprint is lower (at least it was in previous versions of Ubuntu, now with Unity desktop I think they've lowered it).

I've got Xubuntu as my OS and it is the same as Ubuntu with a saner graphical layout, for those who were used to "old" gnome 2..

Guest Penmax

Guys,

I don't know if it is a recurrent bug, or if it has appeared lately, but I think there is something with the Mms.apk app which prevent the phone from deep sleeping. I'll explain..

Here in Portugal, there is this mobile operator called Optimus (Orange brand) which sends everyday a message, which I think is an mms, publicizing some Apps from its website (93AppsClix). I use to receive that mms everyday without problems (sometimes I still use Android 2.3), but lately, with CM9 (build 09/Jun), I don't receive that mms instantly.

What happens is that in the middle of the afternoon, if I press a key from the keypad, my phone wakes, so it is not sleeping. Then, I do a restart, and immediately after the reboot, even before I enter my PIN, I receive the "93AppsClix" mms, usually 1,5h/2h later than the original sent date/time. So, to me, there is something happening with the Mms app which, instead of presenting the mms to the user instantly, kinda of blocks the phone, thus preventing it from deep sleeping..

Has anyone noticed something like this? I can't test sending mms to myself because the Mms app isn't sending mms, and I rarely (never) send mms to anyone, so don't know the default behavior..

I would like to track this bug down, since it causes massive battery drain, and I have my girlfriend and my sister already using CM9. They don't understand nothing of this "technicities", lol..

Thanks

Edit: Oh, I use "Use Only 2G", but don't know if it has something to do with it..

If i remember correctly on early ICS builds there were som errors with internet connection if you switched to 2g from 3g you had to restart the phone. Had some calls break also when it sitched from 3g to 2g with earlier versions.

Edited by Penmax

Ok,

I install Ubuntu next to my Win7-64bit, to a 100GB partition.

I have got a little problem... I don't know how I installed jdk,jre,etc, because for me, it was complicated,... :S

Last I heard you couldn't use java 7 but it was long ago so things may have changed.

I think its working, because i used it last time too on vm, and worked..

Stupid question:

How can I use patches like this http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/16984/ or this https://github.com/KonstaT/android_device_zte_blade/tree/KonstaKANG/patches/packages_apps_Settings ?

Ok, finally, I gave up.

I cannot install that f*****g jdk-6...

When I type "repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics" it says "repo: command not found".

I read it is because I have to install jdk-6.

I tried it, but always give this...

Guest targetbsp

That's nothing to do with jdk. :) It'll be because repo isn't in your path. This is one of the bits where the guides let Windows users down as it appears to be assumed knowledge amongst Linux users. Follow the last post in this thread: http://www.linuxforu...-not-there.html

Edited by targetbsp

That's nothing to do with jdk. It'll be because repo isn't in your path. This is one of the bits where the guides let Windows users down as it appears to be assumed knowledge amongst Linux users. Follow the last post in this thread: http://www.linuxforu...-not-there.html

Thanks

I tried it...

No succes

ftibi93@ftibi93-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~$ cd ~/cm9

ftibi93@ftibi93-HP-Pavilion-g6-Notebook-PC:~/cm9$ repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics

/home/ftibi93/bin/repo: sor: 1: html: Nincs ilyen fájl vagy könyvtár <-- line 1: no such file or directory, or something similar

/home/ftibi93/bin/repo: sor: 2: szintaktikai hiba „<” váratlan token közelében <-- syntactics error

/home/ftibi93/bin/repo: sor: 2: `<head><title>301 Moved Permanently</title></hea'>

After "<--" sign is my translate. :)

Edited by t181