So who's thinking of buying this?

Guest tilal6991

Guest scuzzbucket
im gonna sell mine for the orange san diago

Might be doing the same thing. I'm seriously tempted, and the OSD looks to have a lot more 'oomph' all things considered.

Guest FrankieADZ
it does look good but it's £100 more that's a big chunk of change

agree with u there. also im unsure what the developer community will do with it.

Will they embrace it or push it away.

anyone else thinking of trading theres in for a San Diego?

*i wont as i've said* :)

Edited by FrankieADZ

Guest Davidoff59

Was interested but unsure now.I'm happy with the g300 and so much is unknown with the San Diego. What I do know is I am looking forward to ICS. I thought it would be cheaper as well as its the first time that CPU has been used in a phone.

Guest tilal6991

My thoughts on G300 vs OSD - a developer's point of view:

Both phones are brilliant at their price points and are real bargains. However the thing which sets them apart is their hackability. The G300 is as hackable as any other budget smartphone so this is not an issue. However with the OSD there are issues. While on stock every thing may seem fine, I don't think rooting or Cwm will be easy. Cwm especially as all the binaries will have to be rewritten for x86. And then CyanogenMod - everyone's favourite custom ROM. From the second a developer's starts porting it there will be problems. Not least because of the compilation for a different arch. And where things get even more tricky is app compatability. While stock rom has a binary translator from arm to x86. An impressive feat but this is unlikely to be transferred to cm as it's a huge coding task.

So personally you should make a decision about which kind of person you are. If you love hacking and modding then get the G300. If you like stability and sticking with one rom for months then the OSD is the way forward if you can afford it.

Guest Jekle

If battery life is an issue,you need this device.

My battery just wont die,its unbelievably good compared to other androids I have had.Throw it on charge for twenty minutes,and battery is close to charged.

I believe the reason for the excellent battery life is the snapdragon processor,as qualcomm have said about the chipset being optimized to make battery go further.

I also believe the reason for better battery life is the lithography. Old qualcomm chip in the ZTE Blade and Galaxy Ace use 65nm architecture while the chip in the G300 is 45nm giving it better heat control and battery life like you said.

Guest FrankieADZ

My thoughts on G300 vs OSD - a developer's point of view:

Both phones are brilliant at their price points and are real bargains. However the thing which sets them apart is their hackability. The G300 is as hackable as any other budget smartphone so this is not an issue. However with the OSD there are issues. While on stock every thing may seem fine, I don't think rooting or Cwm will be easy. Cwm especially as all the binaries will have to be rewritten for x86. And then CyanogenMod - everyone's favourite custom ROM. From the second a developer's starts porting it there will be problems. Not least because of the compilation for a different arch. And where things get even more tricky is app compatability. While stock rom has a binary translator from arm to x86. An impressive feat but this is unlikely to be transferred to cm as it's a huge coding task.

So personally you should make a decision about which kind of person you are. If you love hacking and modding then get the G300. If you like stability and sticking with one rom for months then the OSD is the way forward if you can afford it.

i think you've said it perfectly there. :)

Guest omegamoon

An Intel Atom in a smartphone... haha, that's a big no-go for me, I'll stick with ARM for the moment.

It probably has a backpack included for (extended) battery life. Imagine that :D

Guest FrankieADZ

An Intel Atom in a smartphone... haha, that's a big no-go for me, I'll stick with ARM for the moment.

It probably has a backpack included for (extended) battery life. Imagine that :D

that made me lol.

Guest Shahmatt

Gah!

I've got about 3 weeks to decide if I should get a G300.

I'm a little worried about the low resolution screen. I was always hoping that the next phone upgrading from the OSF would have a screen that's bigger but maintained pixel density.

The G300 has the same number of pixels as the OSF yet it's 14.3% larger, or thereabouts. Can ex OSF users stand the drop in sharpness?

Guest FrankieADZ

Gah!

I'm a little worried about the low resolution screen. I was always hoping that the next phone upgrading from the OSF would have a screen that's bigger but maintained pixel density.

The G300 has the same number of pixels as the OSF yet it's 14.3% larger, or thereabouts. Can ex OSF users stand the drop in sharpness?

Well if im honest, I was a little worried to coming from the OSF; as it was a brilliant phone for the phone & just the general support it got.

But I took the chance and purchase a G300 & Im very pleased with it, Overall it really is a step up on the OSF. Screen,brightness, Performance etc.

If ur still unsure, I'd suggest going into a Vodafone store and ask to see/play about with 1..to see if its of ur liking :)

Guest RussellS

Like this you mean:

Complete.jpg

I'm late for work now after editing that photo.

Edited by RussellS

Guest omegamoon

I've sent your picture to engadget with the comment "Orange San Diego spotted in the wild with highly anticipated add-on". Let's see what happens :P

Would be even greater if it had Windows onboard though. I would just love to install M$ Office on that one!

Edited by omegamoon

Guest RussellS

Would be even greater if it had Windows onboard though. I would just love to install M$ Office on that one!

Ok, to satisfy your strange curiosity :P

CompleteWindows2.jpg

Guest omegamoon

Ok, to satisfy your strange curiosity :P

Just tell me, where can I order this one... haha, this is brilliant :D The Window$ interface matches perfectly to the looks of this device :D

Guest Andymac1969

Gah!

If it helps you here is the G300 v Blade at maximum brightness

post-407498-0-53316000-1339174409_thumb.

and the Galaxy S2 v G300 at maximum brightness

post-407498-0-65551100-1339174495_thumb.

Hope it helps in your choice

Andrew

Guest Andymac1969

.....and it's black as well according to the description.

It doesn't look black in the pictures :blink: maybe the description is wrong

Andrew

Guest onericardo

It doesn't look black in the pictures :blink: maybe the description is wrong

Andrew

I contact one of the guys in the chat and he said that is only avaiable in black... Maybe he only looked to the description like us.. don't know.

Well.. I may order one tomorrow from Amazon. :)

Edited by onericardo