ClockworkMod Recovery for Huawei U8815/Ascend G 300

Guest Sebastian404

Guest t-bon3

It is possible to flash CWM recovery on a brand new phone without rooting it first.

Start in bootloader mode (Vol Down + Power) and use the "fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img" command, to install CWM.

Now you can use CWM recovery to load up your pre-rooted ROM of choice.

Guest Davidoff59

t bon, I doubt it. If you think about it, phones are released so as the average customer won't flash something and break their phone. Rooting opens an exploit so as you gain greater access to the phone. Its a good question but someone with more knowledge can confirm.

Guest roundajr2579

Hi,

Can anyone offer any advice please? .. whenever I try to install CMW I get the following message?

fastboot-windows.exe flash recovery recovery.img

sending 'recovery' (5212 KB)... OKAY

writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

Help?!

Guest Hpez

Are you trying to install CWM after upgrading to ICS? If so then that error normally means that your bootloader is still locked and needs to be unlocked before you can flash the recovery.

Guest Dazzozo

t bon, I doubt it. If you think about it, phones are released so as the average customer won't flash something and break their phone. Rooting opens an exploit so as you gain greater access to the phone. Its a good question but someone with more knowledge can confirm.

It works. In fact that's how I've rooted every (2) Android devices I've owned.

Guest Geoff2

Note this is a Customized version, that will handle the 2 extra partitions Huawei use this means backups made with this version will only be partly compatible with vanilla versions of Clockwork Mod Recovery.

I have the 'Rom Manager' app installed. (I've upgraded to stock ICS, rooted and installed ClockworkMod Recovery.) When I start the Rom Manager app, it does not recognise Seb's version of Clockwork Mod and offers to install it. Would this be the vanilla version, and therefore not fully compatible?

Guest FrankieADZ

I have the 'Rom Manager' app installed. (I've upgraded to stock ICS, rooted and installed ClockworkMod Recovery.) When I start the Rom Manager app, it does not recognise Seb's version of Clockwork Mod and offers to install it. Would this be the vanilla version, and therefore not fully compatible?

Rom Manager doesnt isnt support this Phone...by that i mean not official support for thing like ROMs and all that.

you'll have to do stuff like back ups and stuff like that by the old button press way.

Guest Geoff2

Thanks - as Seb had to make his own version of ClockworkMod Recovery to work with the G300, I'd assumed that Rom Manager wasn't going to work. However, I'm just curious as to what would happen if I let Rom Manager install the version of CWM Recovery it's currently offering me.

Edited by Geoff2

Guest FrankieADZ

Thanks - as Seb had to make his own version of ClockworkMod Recovery to work with the G300, I'd assumed that Rom Manager wasn't going to work. However, I'm just curious as to what would happen if I let Rom Manager install the version of CWM Recovery it's currently offering me.

if the app maker would give it official support...it certainly would be nice. :)

Guest Davidoff59

Geoff, as its not Supported, your phone type g300 won't appear so you would be installing a recovery from the wrong phone with unknown results or consequences.

Guest Hans Gruber

Something I have noticed about CWM on the G300 is that the backups fail the md5 check if you rename the backup folders. I'm sure I used to rename my folders to something more memorable than a time and a date on my Blade and they'd restored fine. Am I misremembering that? I know ROM Manager let you chose a name for the folder if you initiated the backup from within the app, but I'm sure I've just renamed the folders in the past.

Guest FrankieADZ

Something I have noticed about CWM on the G300 is that the backups fail the md5 check if you rename the backup folders. I'm sure I used to rename my folders to something more memorable than a time and a date on my Blade and they'd restored fine. Am I misremembering that? I know ROM Manager let you chose a name for the folder if you initiated the backup from within the app, but I'm sure I've just renamed the folders in the past.

remember that too, but i think thats cos the Blade was supported by ROM Manager.

Guest elperroderoke

The same happened to my when I changed names but it was changed from Windows with the SD mounted. I have changed the names directly inside android system using File Manager or Root Explorer, and it works.

Regards.

Guest Hans Gruber

The same happened to my when I changed names but it was changed from Windows with the SD mounted. I have changed the names directly inside android system using File Manager or Root Explorer, and it works.

Regards.

That's interesting to know thanks

edit: hmm tried that with a couple of different root explorers and still getting md5 mismatch

Edited by Hans Gruber

Guest elperroderoke

I do this every time and it works.

Maybe is a problem that this Cwm has when wipe/format. Try to "restart recovery" once you have made the wipe/format, then restore.

Regards.

Guest andy.hyde4

If i use TWRP it works fine but certain roms wont install like the 'HTCMania' one this made me try clockworkmod recovery but this just stays on a loading screen when i try and do something?

Guest elperroderoke

Is anyone got "waiting for device" when press enter in cmd?

If this happens, is because the phone is not detected.

Make sure you are in fastboot mode (power on the phone using power and vol- at the same time), and you have installed the ADB drivers.

Regards.

Guest elperroderoke

If i use TWRP it works fine but certain roms wont install like the 'HTCMania' one this made me try clockworkmod recovery but this just stays on a loading screen when i try and do something?

I don´t know if the loading screen you are talking about is the one you get when you use the power button to "select" an option. The HOME button must be used to select the options.

Regards.

Guest elperroderoke

That's interesting to know thanks

edit: hmm tried that with a couple of different root explorers and still getting md5 mismatch

I've just tried and It worked for me, I made the backup, changed its name and restored. What you get if don't reboot recovery after wipe/format, is "systema can't be format" when tried to restore.

Regards

Edited by elperroderoke

Guest Hans Gruber

I've just tried and It worked for me, I made the backup, changed its name and restored. What you get if don't reboot recovery after wipe/format, is "systema can't be format" when tried to restore.

Regards

For me it doesn't even get that far. It fails when checking the md5 at the start. From memory my old phone had version 5.x or CWM. Maybe that had some option to skip the md5 check or something