[ROM] VegaCream for Advent Vega / PoV Mobii Tegra

Guest Scanno

Guest Daedric1383

Thanks for the NVflash for the 4.1 Scanno!

The Vega is indeed getting awesome support with ICS.

Thank you (And ejtagle, and brucelee666 and all i forgot :))

Now:

The tablet keeps restarting on it's own. Changes i made to the stock 4.1:

DPI -> 160

USB Host on by default (echo @ vega_postboot.sh)

Swap partition @ SD card (swapon @ vega_postboot.sh)

There's a USB hub, a keyboard, and a mouse connected to the usb port. The USB keyboard is one of those USB keyboard cases.. the mouse is a dell one, the hub is a oem/gift hub.

I thought it was related to USB Host, but i get them in USB peripheral as well.

Logcat in usbhost mode : http://pastebin.com/SA7nxMJU

Edited by Daedric1383

Guest c31b32364ce19ca8

Also cannot use my USB memory stick, it works in PC and my 2.2 tablet but seems NO USB device is working but its powered as red light on on the memory stick and my USB wifi keyboard stick.

Your problems are *most likely* due to USB "host" VS "peripheral" mode. If you fire up shuttle tools you should see that your device has USB "peripheral" mode enabled by default. You may also use Terminal (as root) and "cat /sys/usbbus/host_mode" - if you see "0", you're in "peripheral" mode, if you see "1", you're in "host" mode. Now, please read http://developer.and.../usb/index.html to understand the difference and obtain some background information. Then come back here and read on.

Ok, so after you've read the cited document, you'll know that in order to use USB mass storage devices (and most likely usb keyboards as well) you need to switch the device over to USB "host" mode. So far so good, there are actually two way to achieve this: 1. Using shuttle tools (per session) and 2. via Terminal (per session and also, if you want to, permanently).

1. shuttle tools:

Fire it up, click on the big button that reads "Peripheral", accept su request, it'll instantly change to "Host", plug in USB mass storage (or USB keyboard), should work. Remember that this setting/method is per session, i.e. it won't survive a reboot.

2. Terminal:

Open it, type "su" (without the quotes), accept su request, type "echo 1 > /sys/usbbus/host_mode" (again without the quotes), plug in USB, should work. This also is per session (just the hard way of #1). Now, if you want to make the setting "permanent", we introduce a tiny "hack" to vega_postboot.sh. Type "echo "echo 1 > /sys/usbbus/host_mode" >> /etc/vega_postboot.sh" (without the OUTER quotes). This command sets USB host mode as a default (so to speak).

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Sidemark: I haven't tested this (yet) with beta4.1 as I just installed it some hours ago. I tested it with beta3. Scanno wrote (over at tabletroms.com) that there might be issues with USB with the new kernel and thus I post this sidemark, just in case.

Edited by c31b32364ce19ca8

Guest Scanno
Thanks for the NVflash for the 4.1 Scanno!

The Vega is indeed getting awesome support with ICS.

Thank you (And ejtagle, and brucelee666 and all i forgot :))

Now:

The tablet keeps restarting on it's own. Changes i made to the stock 4.1:

DPI -> 160

USB Host on by default (echo @ vega_postboot.sh)

Swap partition @ SD card (swapon @ vega_postboot.sh)

There's a USB hub, a keyboard, and a mouse connected to the usb port. The USB keyboard is one of those USB keyboard cases.. the mouse is a dell one, the hub is a oem/gift hub.

I thought it was related to USB Host, but i get them in USB peripheral as well.

Logcat in usbhost mode : http://pastebin.com/SA7nxMJU

Perhaps you can also post a /proc/last_kmesg. This contains the dmesg from the session before the reboot. You can retrieve this with adb or the lumberjack app.

Perhaps the last fix from ejtagle will have some positive effect on this, I do not know. I can only say that I turned my tablet on 14 hours ago and using it at work and have had 1 reboot. Using lotus traveler, mail, agenda, tapatalk, browser, ever note, quickoffice without problems, had the tablet in sleep during my own sleep and it woke up without problem. So what is the difference between my wifi pov mobii bought in November 2010 and the tablets that have the problems.

Edited by Scanno

Guest Daedric1383

The 3G Module... i find the reboots/shutdowns extremely more common on USB Host... something related to the USB is failling during suspend/sleep, i can actually see the screen going down... and POFF reboot.

Worse, after a reboot, USB does not work. neither in host or peripheral. I have to cleanly shutdown and restart the tablet.

Since the 3G/GPS modules are USB also, it might be the cause.

I'll try to get you a last_kmesg, tonight. You're in DE, so probably +1 GMT. And you use lotus notes... exquisite...

Guest Scanno
The 3G Module... i find the reboots/shutdowns extremely more common on USB Host... something related to the USB is failling during suspend/sleep, i can actually see the screen going down... and POFF reboot.

Worse, after a reboot, USB does not work. neither in host or peripheral. I have to cleanly shutdown and restart the tablet.

Since the 3G/GPS modules are USB also, it might be the cause.

I'll try to get you a last_kmesg, tonight. You're in DE, so probably +1 GMT. And you use lotus notes... exquisite...

On tabletroms richard found out that it could be the simcard module that us causing the problems. He disconnected the simcard module and his reboot problems were gone.....

I am in NL.... pretty close near DE :P

Guest elf69

Your problems are *most likely* due to USB "host" VS "peripheral" mode. If you fire up shuttle tools you should see that your device has USB "peripheral" mode enabled by default. You may also use Terminal (as root) and "cat /sys/usbbus/host_mode" - if you see "0", you're in "peripheral" mode, if you see "1", you're in "host" mode. Now, please read http://developer.and.../usb/index.html to understand the difference and obtain some background information. Then come back here and read on.

Ok, so after you've read the cited document, you'll know that in order to use USB mass storage devices (and most likely usb keyboards as well) you need to switch the device over to USB "host" mode. So far so good, there are actually two way to achieve this: 1. Using shuttle tools (per session) and 2. via Terminal (per session and also, if you want to, permanently).

1. shuttle tools:

Fire it up, click on the big button that reads "Peripheral", accept su request, it'll instantly change to "Host", plug in USB mass storage (or USB keyboard), should work. Remember that this setting/method is per session, i.e. it won't survive a reboot.

2. Terminal:

Open it, type "su" (without the quotes), accept su request, type "echo 1 > /sys/usbbus/host_mode" (again without the quotes), plug in USB, should work. This also is per session (just the hard way of #1). Now, if you want to make the setting "permanent", we introduce a tiny "hack" to vega_postboot.sh. Type "echo "echo 1 > /sys/usbbus/host_mode" >> /etc/vega_postboot.sh" (without the OUTER quotes). This command sets USB host mode as a default (so to speak).

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Sidemark: I haven't tested this (yet) with beta4.1 as I just installed it some hours ago. I tested it with beta3. Scanno wrote (over at tabletroms.com) that there might be issues with USB with the new kernel and thus I post this sidemark, just in case.

please forgive me not to be rude.

Yes I have used shuttle tools and when I do swap to host the light comes on on my wifi usb adaptor for the keyboard and the power light on my usb flash drive.

But i did not know about the terminal option so will try it thank you :)

I find if i turn gps on and off then about 30-60 seconds after turning it off it reboots :(

but I can use 3G on and off all day with NO reboots but I personally dont use GPS as my san diego has it :)

Edited by elf69

Guest Scanno

please forgive me not to be rude.

Yes I have used shuttle tools and when I do swap to host the light comes on on my wifi usb adaptor for the keyboard and the power light on my usb flash drive.

But i did not know about the terminal option so will try it thank you :)

I find if i turn gps on and off then about 30-60 seconds after turning it off it reboots :(

but I can use 3G on and off all day with NO reboots but I personally dont use GPS as my san diego has it :)

What is not working with your usb drive. The drive is mounted to /mnt/usbdisk

Guest elf69

I cannot see it in astro file manager or any other file manger, "directory does not exist" is the error.

Not show up in storage in the settings either...

But i will reflash with new rom but it wont be for a while im useing a 7" tab for a while now as my viewsonic is going off to have its touchscreen repaired.

Edited by elf69

Guest Daedric1383

On tabletroms richard found out that it could be the simcard module that us causing the problems. He disconnected the simcard module and his reboot problems were gone.....

I am in NL.... pretty close near DE :P

I also remember Richard saying that without a sim module, the whole EM770W is disabled :) He tried to upgrade one in windows, and because it did not have a sim, it wouldn't work.

IT makes some sense, as GPS does not work without 3G working ;)

Guest c31b32364ce19ca8

I cannot see it in astro file manager or any other file manger, "directory does not exist" is the error.

Not show up in storage in the settings either...

I assume that you do something wrong. I just tested the USB host mode, i.e. attaching USB mass storage with Beta4.1 (w/ new kernel) and it works here. As scanno said, it is mounted to /mnt/usbdisk and it shows up in settings app > storage. You can even unmount, remount it from there.

One thing you need to know when trying to introduce the permanent USB host mode "hack" to vega_postboot.sh running Beta4.1 w/ new kernel (CWM zip) ... You need to temporarily remount the /system partition rw (this isn't needed with Beta3 or Beta4.1 w/ old kernel). Please read http://www.tabletrom....html#post66492 for a howto (I just posted this over at tabletroms.com)

Guest elf69

I assume that you do something wrong. I just tested the USB host mode, i.e. attaching USB mass storage with Beta4.1 (w/ new kernel) and it works here. As scanno said, it is mounted to /mnt/usbdisk and it shows up in settings app > storage. You can even unmount, remount it from there.

One thing you need to know when trying to introduce the permanent USB host mode "hack" to vega_postboot.sh running Beta4.1 w/ new kernel (CWM zip) ... You need to temporarily remount the /system partition rw (this isn't needed with Beta3 or Beta4.1 w/ old kernel). Please read http://www.tabletrom....html#post66492 for a howto (I just posted this over at tabletroms.com)

Thank you.

Yes I think it must be me and NOT your wonderful ROM :)

It settings app > Storgae my USB flash drive does NOT show.

I do not require a permenant host hack I dont mine shuttle tools im used to it from viewcomb :)

I will flash my tablet with latest ROM when I have time but busy and my tablet going off for repair very soon (bady fitted replacement touchscreen).

I just wanted to know what im doing wrong or is it my flashing didnt go right?

You guys are great and have told many friends to come here :)

Edited by elf69

Guest c31b32364ce19ca8

I just wanted to know what im doing wrong or is it my flashing didnt go right?

I just re-read your previous posting and assumed you're running either VC Beta3 and/or Beta4.1 (haven't tested other versions), you really should have a directory /mnt/usbdisk/

One last try: Please open Terminal app, type "su" (without the quotes), accept su request (if you haven't done so already), type "cd /mnt" (without the quotes), type "ls" (without the quotes) and again please watch out for the usbdisk directory within the listing. If it doesn't show up, type "mkdir /mnt/usbdisk" (without the quotes), switch to host mode and plug in the USB mass storage device again. Verify a successful mount by typing "df" (without the quotes). If /mnt/usbdisk shows in df listing, good, otherwise please re-flash as I'd really need physical access to your device to see for myself what's going on there.

Btw, ROM is courtesy of scanno and others. I'm just another user of Vegacream.

Guest elf69

well just flashed the latest ROM.

USB is not working at all now, no power light on my flash drive or external HDD.

also when trying to setup my google account for market "Unfortunately, the process.com.process.gapps has stopped"

Will roll back to previous ROM I had as the market worked.

although now listed in storage is USB however its all greyed out.

Im gonna flash viewcomb just to see if my USB port has failed as I know for sure that it worked in that ROM.

Im starting to think my tablet is failing on me :(

Guest elf69

OK Flashed viewcomb and my USB is working.

after leaving the latest ISC for 5 mins it did try to read my USB hard drive but the tablet rebooted and then hung on the android loading screen.

Anyone else with a viewsonic viewpad 10S with latest ROM to see if its a chipset conflict or just my tablet.

Really annoying me now, I'll drive dads works van over it soon, lol

Guest Scanno
OK Flashed viewcomb and my USB is working.

after leaving the latest ISC for 5 mins it did try to read my USB hard drive but the tablet rebooted and then hung on the android loading screen.

Anyone else with a viewsonic viewpad 10S with latest ROM to see if its a chipset conflict or just my tablet.

Really annoying me now, I'll drive dads works van over it soon, lol

Please if you want a stable version of vegacream use beta2.1 or 3. Version 4 is with the new kernel and still experimental.

Guest elf69

I know its experimental :)

but version 3 the USB did not work for me either :(

Rolled back to viewcomb but right now I cannot get the tablet to go into flash mode with power and back button :(

Im gonna leave it go for a bit then try in few days.

Guest Scanno

@All who want to experiment....

Here are two CWM zip files with two different kernels.

These kernels are attempts to get everything working.

The first kernel is pretty stable, but the touchscreen can lockup (i had that happen once):

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?2yopmiahbwwyay1

The second kernel i did not try yet, but it is an attempt to fix the problem in the first kernel.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?hdcajlm3r7ahi4e

Please remember these are experimental and must be flashed with CWM and over Beta4.1

Please let me know if these work or not.

Guest Daedric1383

@All who want to experiment....

Here are two CWM zip files with two different kernels.

These kernels are attempts to get everything working.

The first kernel is pretty stable, but the touchscreen can lockup (i had that happen once):

Download: http://www.mediafire...2yopmiahbwwyay1

The second kernel i did not try yet, but it is an attempt to fix the problem in the first kernel.

Download: http://www.mediafire...hdcajlm3r7ahi4e

Please remember these are experimental and must be flashed with CWM and over Beta4.1

Please let me know if these work or not.

Since i hate CWM on the Vega, do you mind if i replace the boot.img of VC4.1 with one of these and NVFlash ?

Guest Scanno

Since i hate CWM on the Vega, do you mind if i replace the boot.img of VC4.1 with one of these and NVFlash ?

If you want you can do that.... But then you better extract the boot.img and put it on your sdcard... open a terminal do a su and type:

flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img

The flash_image executable is included in VC4.1.

If you do a nvflash you have to restore all your data again...

Edited by Scanno

Guest Daedric1383

If you want you can do that.... But then you better extract the boot.img and put it on your sdcard... open a terminal do a su and type:

flash_image boot /sdcard/boot.img

The flash_image executable is included in VC4.1.

If you do a nvflash you have to restore all your data again...

Scanno, there's no data, it's as "virgin" as B4.1 can get. I only enable USBHost, disable 3g+GPS (just in case), and enable wifi.

Got 1 hotreboot, and 1 reboot. trying to get last_kmsg (damn MTP... how i miss USB Mass Storage)

My last_kmsg is the same... "Null pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000"

and

do_write_oob: dma completion timout

and

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

What's wrong with SquashFS ?

http://www.mediafire.com/?qywt2f32pn25fy1

Edited by Daedric1383

Guest Scanno

Scanno, there's no data, it's as "virgin" as B4.1 can get. I only enable USBHost, disable 3g+GPS (just in case), and enable wifi.

Got 1 hotreboot, and 1 reboot. trying to get last_kmsg (damn MTP... how i miss USB Mass Storage)

My last_kmsg is the same... "Null pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000"

and

do_write_oob: dma completion timout

and

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

What's wrong with SquashFS ?

http://www.mediafire.com/?qywt2f32pn25fy1

As I wrote, during install the system.img is written partly on bad nand blocks... It looks like one of the squashfs files.... squashfs is trying to 'unzip' it, but cannot do that, because the data is not correct because of the bad hand block it is written on.... each time that you flash with nvflash, you will get that problem because the bad block markers are gone... a long time ago there was a post about this and you could try wiping and flashing with cwm a couple of times without booting so the bad blocks can be marked and will not be used...

At least this is my interpretation...

Guest Daedric1383

As I wrote, during install the system.img is written partly on bad nand blocks... It looks like one of the squashfs files.... squashfs is trying to 'unzip' it, but cannot do that, because the data is not correct because of the bad hand block it is written on.... each time that you flash with nvflash, you will get that problem because the bad block markers are gone... a long time ago there was a post about this and you could try wiping and flashing with cwm a couple of times without booting so the bad blocks can be marked and will not be used...

At least this is my interpretation...

You might be right, but if the squashfs are stored on damaged blocks, i would get troubles on the very 1st boot.

I never get troubles on ANY boot, just during suspend where those messages pop up.

I will try your idea, flash 4.1 with the latest from CWM, several times with full wipes inbetween. Will report back.

Still badblocks are reported on dmesg, for those who have them, and i got no such thing on dmesg.

Correction:

1 bad block on mtdblock6 ... /data

Edited by Daedric1383