Help! I'm new and I can't do...

Guest Frankish

Guest FrankieADZ

Would be great if someone made a sticky with a tutorial on how to upgrade to ICS(or is that not released yet?).

there is a guide....its on here somewhere :wacko:

this forum section i mean

Guest emaad

hey guys completely new here, to modaco, to android...'fresh meat'

i've been reading up this forum for a couple days, still cant seem to make heads or tails of any of the terms/procedures

seriously i'm completely lost

i unlocked my phone today using an unlock code provided by vodafone, and when i managed to connect to wifi it said update available, so i updated.

all i want to do now is get rid of all vodafone stuff on the fone, ringer volume isnt as loud as i'd like so fixing that would be nice too

whats cwm? rooting? whats a stock/custom rom?

sorry for being a right ignorant bugger but youve gotta start somewhere...

any directions or pointers? to a different thread maybe?

a tonne of thanks in advance

Guest buckleheid

once ive downloaded the rom file,its unpacked,do i need to open it first then put the files onto my external sd card?

i have 4 seperate files

META-INF

system

boot

options

first time trying to install a custom rom,bit wary tbh,ive got cwm and root,but im scared i brick the phone by doing this wrong

Guest schkinx

Would be great if someone made a sticky with a tutorial on how to upgrade to ICS(or is that not released yet?).

I gave up looking lol , its gotta be here somewhere though

Guest Hogweed

once ive downloaded the rom file,its unpacked,do i need to open it first then put the files onto my external sd card?

i have 4 seperate files

META-INF

system

boot

options

first time trying to install a custom rom,bit wary tbh,ive got cwm and root,but im scared i brick the phone by doing this wrong

Don't unpack any zip files. Copy the complete zip to the SD card and install the zip from CWM recovery.

Guest Chris Banks

Finally made the jump from my Blade to the G300 an very glad I did. Didn't realise how slow & outdated the Blade really is now. It is so much faster. Anyone thinking of making the jump, should definitely do it.

Anyway sales pitch over.

The phone OTA updated to B892, and it seems fine. I quite like some of the Huawei skin tweaks, if a little 'ugly' in some places.

My main question is, is there difference between the stock ROMs from Huawei & vodafone apart from the vodafone apps?

As in, i

f I remove the vodafone apps, is it the same as the ROMs from Huawei?

If not, what would be the best build to go for? In the OP is says B886, but that version is older than what I'm currently on...

Think I am gonna stick with GB for a while until ICS really takes off.

I really hope we get to see a CM7 or CM9, or even a CM10 build in the future.

EDIT:

Also, when I ring someone, across the top of the dial screen is says: "dialling call forward conditional is enabled"

Does anyone know what this means, as I have not seen it before. Unlocked phone on giffgaff.

Edited by Chris Banks

Guest MioCZ

Need little help, how to change hostname in rooted B927, or where the right config file is located, or should be crated?

I went through filesystem and nothing found.

Do you mean stock apps or stock ROM's?

You can download apps from Google Play Store https://play.google.com/store.

If you want Vodafone stock ROM's, you can do OTA updates from your phone; if you want to download other Huawei stock ROM's, you need to follow the guide at the start of this thread.

Guest landwomble
hey guys completely new here, to modaco, to android...'fresh meat'

i've been reading up this forum for a couple days, still cant seem to make heads or tails of any of the terms/procedures

seriously i'm completely lost

i unlocked my phone today using an unlock code provided by vodafone, and when i managed to connect to wifi it said update available, so i updated.

all i want to do now is get rid of all vodafone stuff on the fone, ringer volume isnt as loud as i'd like so fixing that would be nice too

whats cwm? rooting? whats a stock/custom rom?

sorry for being a right ignorant bugger but youve gotta start somewhere...

any directions or pointers? to a different thread maybe?

a tonne of thanks in advance

Rooting is getting admin privileges on the phone – ie you can read write to system directories etc.

Cwm= clockwork mod. You install it to replace the stock recovery mode – so when you boot into the recovery mode, rather than just having the factory recovery, you get the Cwm menu instead which allows you to backup, restore, flash .Zip files (apps or replacement roms), etc.

Best guides are the stickies in this forum.

I'd recommend going with the "how to install ICS 4.0.3" thread followed by the one telling you how to install the infusion ROM. First will get you on latest official version, second will install a good custom rom (optional).

Guest lobespear

3. I updated by having phone on and simply imputing the *#*#2846579#*#* on the dialer keypad and when you input the last * the update starts automatically. No need to fart around removing batteries and trying to hold 3 buttons.

doesn't that code just open the engineering menu?

Guest Hoggonator

Arghh, somehow I have set the screen one to the left of the middle screen (IYSWIM) as the home screen and cannot reset the middle screen as my home screen.

Anyone know how to reset as googling is coming up with nothing!

ETA: Sorted it out, fat fingers error....

Edited by Hoggonator

Guest umangu2000

I am trying to do the reboot to install the clockmodrecovery but the screen just stays there & there is no change after that ... PLS HELP

Guest umangu2000

Frankish - really need your help .. the clockwork recovery doesn't seem to work it just hangs there & nothing happens ... what do I do. Just updated to ICS & thought would be good but now stuck ...

Pls Help

Guest clarkie71

Hello people,

A little assistance please.

I managed to root my phone after a few issues with drivers off my

old vista lappy, resolved by using wives window7 lappy.

Thought I would upgrade to rom at start of this thread (886)?

Everything was going well, downloaded rom to pc,transfered to sd card and phone started firmware update.

Only problem was update failed on stage 2/2, have I done something wrong? Do I need to enable usb debugging or something?

Any ideas please.

Ta.

Guest dalecheesy

Only problem was update failed on stage 2/2, have I done something wrong? Do I need to enable usb debugging or something?

Any ideas please.

Ta.

Think i had fastboot unticked and usb debugging enabled. Seemed to freeze at the end of the second stage and didn't auto restart like after the first bit but just pulled the battery and the jobs a good 'un.

Guest TurtleBeach89

i've had the same problem, i've followed all the steps but on the update 2of2 i just get the yellow triangle saying update fail. is there anything im doing wrong or is there a particular reason?

anybody who can help me, be much appreciative :)

Guest tcpaulh

Is there a guide available on reverting to an older baseband? I'm on 2030 and would like to check out some CM10 goodness, courtesy of Daz :)

Don't. Just found out it wont work with the older baseband due to a framebuffer issue.

Guest chohan01

Help!!! I've flashed back to b888 from b934 with the dload and vendor folders but the toggles do not appear in the notification bar or the display settings. And the overall ui has become quite slow!

Guest sammyc77

Don't. Just found out it wont work with the older baseband due to a framebuffer issue.

Thanks for the heads up, reading the thread and it looks like the wait shouldn't be too long for CM10 for 2030 anyway \o/