MCR - MoDaCo.one for the HTC One X Tegra 3 (Sense + Vanilla) - NEW: more Vanilla, TeamViewer QS + more

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Memphizzz

I've just installed the vanilla rom. But its not completely vanilla is it? Lockscreen, recent apps, etc are HTC.. Is there a rom which is 100% original ICS?

Edited by Memphizzz

I've just installed the vanilla rom. But its not completely vanilla is it? Lockscreen, recent apps, etc are HTC.. Is there a rom which is 100% original ICS?

What you're looking for is here, a CM9 based ROM developed independently by TripNDroid / TripNRaVeR.

At this moment, this ROM is in 013, still in development and thus not as rock-solid as Paul's ones. It also lacks the stock app for camera which use the advanced capabilities of the HOX as it is Sense-based. It also lacks the FM radio application, and maybe others too.

Guest Memphizzz

I had version 12 installed. Its an awesome ROM but its terrible in terms of battery life. If I let the "kitchen" cook a rom for me and uncheck everything from HTC will that create me a real vanilla rom?

Edited by Memphizzz

I had version 12 installed. Its an awesome ROM but its terrible in terms of battery life. If I let the "kitchen" cook a rom for me and uncheck everything from HTC will that create me a real vanilla rom?

You'll see some more stock ICS (vanilla) but there still are a lot of Sense stuff.

Give your "kitchen" a try ... nothing to loose

Edited by a2b

Guest carthesis

Hmm. I've noticed a further issue with the MCR on my ONe X - it has suddenly developed an aversion to web-browsing in Dolphin HD over the HSDPA connection, and now simply restarts itself. Not sure if it is happening in the stock browser or not. I'm rebaking an MCR build to reinstall and check - with a bit of luck it'll turn out to be a hitch.

If it has the same problem, i'll bake a DUO ROM and try that and report back.

***EDIT***

OK - rebaked the MCR, and still no joy at convincing the data to work over HSDPA. Trying to watch anything on YouTube just hangs for example. I'm going to go back to the DUO stock ROM for now. Hopefully this'll fix the Friendstream issue too. This time at least, Friendstream would let me log into a Flickr account - the fact I don't have one being only a minor inconvenience :D

***EDIT 2***

Right - the Friendstream issue does seem to be connected to the Facebook app update baked into the ROM, as Paul suspected. Just tried a DUO ROM with the FB app baked in, and Friendstream still isn't playing. Going to now try baking one WITHOUT the FB app and see if that works.

***EDIT 3***

Last edit on this one, I promise.

I've just tried baking an MCR *WITHOUT* the FB app included to test to see if the Friendstream app would then work - it did not. Despite deselecting FB in the Kitchen, it was still installed with the ROM, and the Friendstream app has gone back to not allowing you to log into FB, so no contact information is pulled down.

On that basis, I'm going back to my Nandroid backup from before the MCR went on. I'll be waiting with somewhat bated breath for Paul to fix this problem, as I have every confidence he will, so that I can get some fully-functional MCR-goodness on my phone!

Edited by carthesis

Guest carthesis

Paul,

I've done a touch more digging while looking at the Friendstream problem.

Looking in the 'All apps' tabs, it appears as though there may be 2 versions of the 'Friend Stream' app installed.

One is 320kB in size, and version 4.0.2215172631.353543.334711.

One is 104kB in size, and version 4.0.2215172555.339938.331952.

Could the problem be two versions of the app, one of which isn't compatible with the latest update/FB app/whatever? If two versions are running, might this just be 'confusing' the OS?

Guest raph santerre

To get the more vanilla ROM, here's my kitchen :

- keep all google apps

- remove all HTC apps that are already available from Google

- remove all 3rd party apps (twitter, SoundHound, Dropbox ... ) as they can be downloaded from the market without any Sense customization / integration

- keep hardware related apps from HTC : FM radio, DLNA, SIM Toolkit, ...

- remove all Live Wallpapers but one

- remove all Themes but the HTC (default) and another one

- keep 2 languages in the Input Languages list

- keep Modaco additions

- remove additional application market

There's still some Sense, but vanilla is really here :-D

I've also installed the [MOD|1.26|1.28|1.29] Disable the annoying ICS 3-dot Menu | Aroma **May-05** to remove the anoying menu bar at the bottom of the screen

Edited by raph santerre

Guest huxxxley

Seem to be stuck in a bootloop, when it boots it forcecloses a lot of things and reboots. Dont understand what i could have done wrong lol

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul,

I've done a touch more digging while looking at the Friendstream problem.

Looking in the 'All apps' tabs, it appears as though there may be 2 versions of the 'Friend Stream' app installed.

One is 320kB in size, and version 4.0.2215172631.353543.334711.

One is 104kB in size, and version 4.0.2215172555.339938.331952.

Could the problem be two versions of the app, one of which isn't compatible with the latest update/FB app/whatever? If two versions are running, might this just be 'confusing' the OS?

Hmm, that's weird, there's definitely not two Friendstream installers. Investigating!

Seem to be stuck in a bootloop, when it boots it forcecloses a lot of things and reboots. Dont understand what i could have done wrong lol

No idea! Which ROM did you come from? CM?

P

Guest Barbs80

just flashed the Vanilla rom (no wipe over LeeDroid) - the best shot feature doesn't work on the camera (and clicking the thumbnail to go to gallery does nothing) is this because it is part of sense or a problem because I didn't wipe?

Guest carthesis

Hmm, that's weird, there's definitely not two Friendstream installers. Investigating!

P

Paul,

While I was faffing with my phone at work yesterday (and mostly because I had my nandroid backup of the 'stock O2' software on my PC at home!), I figured I'd give ARHD from XDA-Developers a try, as it's based on the same source as the MCR so i wondered if it suffered from the same problems. This ROM doesn't have the FB/Friendstream issue, and worked straight away. This has the latest version of FB installed (1.9.3 I believe?), and isn't causing any problems.

Checking the app list, that ROM too has the same 2 Friendstream apps listed, but also has 'Facebook for HTC Sense' listed as an app. This wasn't showing on the MCR. It is listed as version 4.0.2215172619.345324.334711. Not presuming to teach you to suck eggs or anything, but could it be a simple kitchen issue? The 'Facebook for Friendstream' option was definitely ticked when I baked the ROMs, so could it be that whatever code it is you've written to run the kitchen has just had a flag for these installed items pointing the wrong way? (ie. "if ticked then do not install" instead of "install if ticked"?)

Of course, it might not be that. As ARHD isn't based strictly on stock the way MCR is, you have to do a full wipe and format of 'system' prior to install. I confess I haven't tried doing a full wipe and installing MCR again.

(For reference for others - ARH is pretty decent as a ROM if you like things to look and feel pretty stock, much like the MCRs. The RAM optimisations seem to have worked, as in general use I struggle to have less than about 350Mb of free RAM, as opposed to about 270Mb on stock.

That said, it still doesn't seem as smooth and fluid as MCR did for the brief period I was using it. Don't know which kernel Paul is using for MCR, but ARHD is based on 2.6.39.4.

Once Paul works out what the issue with Friendstream et all is, I will be moving back to MCR - I used one for just under 2 years on my Desire, and it never skipped a beat, hence I trust it. ARHD I'm happy to try, but I don't trust it anywhere near as much just yet.)

Guest huxxxley

No idea! Which ROM did you come from? CM?

well it was an aosp, i reflashed it a couple of times more and it seems to work just fine now. strange

Guest dupersuper
Once Paul works out what the issue with Friendstream et all is, I will be moving back to MCR - I used one for just under 2 years on my Desire, and it never skipped a beat, hence I trust it. ARHD I'm happy to try, but I don't trust it anywhere near as much just yet.)

yes. friendstream is broken again :(

Guest Henry Weinberg

Actually the kitchen does not do what it says it will do. Items that are not checked are added anyway. I do not see the point in using the kitchen if it is going to add items that are not checked. Might as well use the already prepared version. Quicker and simpler.

Guest PaulOBrien

Actually the kitchen does not do what it says it will do. Items that are not checked are added anyway. I do not see the point in using the kitchen if it is going to add items that are not checked. Might as well use the already prepared version. Quicker and simpler.

Or, be more specific so I can fix...?

P

Guest PaulOBrien

carthesis, can you check you have Facebook_Client.apk and FacebookEngine.apk in /system/app in your bake zip? These are the Friendstream files.

P

Guest Henry Weinberg

Or, be more specific so I can fix...?

P

I got two phones, two browsers, two calendars, two contacts, live wallpapers I didn't check as well as other features I did not check such as multiple languages.

Guest carthesis

Paul,

Yeah, got both of those in there.

This is from an MCR build that I rebaked on the 28th. I am SURE that I had the options ticked in the kitchen, because I was going through an experimental phase with the ROMs, so I tried both MCR and DUO both with and without including the actual FB app to find out if the updated app was causing Friendstream some issues.

I've included a screeny showing everything that's in /system/app.

If you want me to drop a copy of the various ROMs I baked up on a filehosting site so you can have a prod at the actual ones that definitely don't work, let me know.

post-595394-0-32898200-1338455472_thumb.

Edited by carthesis

Guest 'sein

clicking the thumbnail to go to gallery does nothing

Yeah the camera app is HTC (to take advantage of the One X camera processor), but the gallery app is stock Android. So in the camera app, clicking the thumbnail will want to launch the HTC gallery app which doesn't exist.

I have the same minor issue with my kitchen rom.

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul,

Yeah, got both of those in there.

This is from an MCR build that I rebaked on the 28th. I am SURE that I had the options ticked in the kitchen, because I was going through an experimental phase with the ROMs, so I tried both MCR and DUO both with and without including the actual FB app to find out if the updated app was causing Friendstream some issues.

I've included a screeny showing everything that's in /system/app.

If you want me to drop a copy of the various ROMs I baked up on a filehosting site so you can have a prod at the actual ones that definitely don't work, let me know.

Could you post the 'options.txt'? That would let me check which options you selected.

Yeah the camera app is HTC (to take advantage of the One X camera processor), but the gallery app is stock Android. So in the camera app, clicking the thumbnail will want to launch the HTC gallery app which doesn't exist.

I have the same minor issue with my kitchen rom.

I've patched this and i'll upload a version where the gallery click works as intended with the stock gallery today. :)

P

Guest PaulOBrien

Does anyone else have poor wifi reception with this rom? Any fix?

I've not seen this, and i've not changed anything related to that.

P

Guest Barbs80

I have problems maintaining wifi connection. Randomly disconnects but the wifi icon still says that it has signal.

Looking through the xda forums it's a common problem

I've had the issue on all roms i've tried - stock, leedroid and MCR - many people believe its wireless N, change to G and people report stable connections (not tried it personally yet, just turn wifi on and off again).

Guest carthesis

Paul,

Can't post the options.txt from the same ROM, as that's on my machine at work and I'm off until after the Jubilee now. Got the options.txt from the very first ROM I tried when this problem became apparent though, so I'll stick that one up.

Your kitchen choices are shown below.

a

Guest PaulOBrien

I got two phones, two browsers, two calendars, two contacts, live wallpapers I didn't check as well as other features I did not check such as multiple languages.

Two phones - this is due to selecting both Vanilla and HTC Contacts.

Two calendars - this is due to select both Vanilla and HTC Calendar.

Two contacts - see above.

Live wallpapers - which, I can then add them to the options.

Multiple languages - the languages are in the core and not kitchen options.

P