SIM lock status

Guest PaulOBrien

Yeah I think it is clear that the post was based on either a t-mobile sim or theory, either way, it was not thought through very well ;)

So what about this superuser zip idea, how exactly would that be done ?

If I remember right, paul said there was some kind of md5 system in bootloader, if so any changes to the update surely would result in a paper weight ? or in the osd case more like a skimmer pebble :lol:

Edited by Guest

Guest The Soup Thief

Just noticed - that post on androidnova was by kabirsaini2011 on monday morning!

He was reporting the developments on here as rickywyatt was using the xolo update and we'd assumed it would lead to a sim unlock - alas this was just him re-reporting what he and rickywyatt were doing here

He wasn't fibbing - an honest mistake. Might be worth amending it though

Funny how easily internet rumours get around though

arf arf!

Check the linky and you'll see his avatar smiling back atchya!

Edited by The Soup Thief

Guest rickywyatt

you would have to move it to sdcard then reboot into recovery then flash the is a silm chance it will work but you never no

No way :lol: well at least none of us wasted time trying it, thanks to rickywyatt making a note of file sizes.

@rickywyatt, what are the chances of brickage doing that ? Sounds risky, when I dont have CWM I feel so weak :lol:

Edited by Guest

Guest rickywyatt

lol i found out that you could flash thr xolo update.zip by myself lol

oh yeah he also forgot to say you cant flash the xolo update without first extracting the recovery.bin from the update and flashing that to the phone in fastboot

What about this bootloader md5 checking ? surely if things do not match there is problem right ?

The su zip is on sd card and device is powered off ready to go :wacko:

Edited by Guest

Guest rickywyatt

ok hold vol - and hold the power button untill you see the xolo let go of power button then it will boot into the fastboot then hold the vol + and camera it will boot into recovery

ok hold vol - and hold the power button untill you see the xolo let go of power button then it will boot into the fastboot then hold the vol + and camera it will boot into recovery

Yeah I know how to do that lol, I am more looking for some dutch courage, some extra convincing I will not be looking at a brick in 5min time :lol: I am concerned about the bootloader checking system in place, how does that work, does it md5 the rom before booting ?

Edited by Guest

Guest rickywyatt

what paul is say he thinks the bootloader cheaks if the recovery and the boot are secure and if it aint you end up with a very nice paperwight lol just like i did we still dont no if the bootloader cheaks the system partition or not

Yeah that is what makes me think it may be bad idea to attempt.

I think I will give it a miss seeing as I dont have a non-brick to fall back on.

I am thinking, they have gone to great lengths to make this device unhackable, surely they would not leave an open door in recovery, seeing as they know all the android hacker methods, clearly shown by the fact that nobody can get near this thing with any known method.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fixticks

You guys dont know how eagerly am waiting for a positive conclusion to this conversation.

My 2 cents, hope some random blogger does not take it as gospel truth, you know how Orange wants you to wait 3 months before you unlock your phone by paying them? what if we change the date of the phone to 4 months ahead, then try the update.

Am assuming one of you tried the update and it did not hurt(brick) the phone or even threaten to do so.

eagerly waiting on you guys to come up with something, coz i aint experimenting nutin.

Guest shootomanUK

You guys dont know how eagerly am waiting for a positive conclusion to this conversation.

My 2 cents, hope some random blogger does not take it as gospel truth, you know how Orange wants you to wait 3 months before you unlock your phone by paying them? what if we change the date of the phone to 4 months ahead, then try the update.

Am assuming one of you tried the update and it did not hurt(brick) the phone or even threaten to do so.

eagerly waiting on you guys to come up with something, coz i aint experimenting nutin.

What ?......change the date what for....there is no update and if there was it would not unlock the device.

The only way to unlock the device is by contacting orange after 3 months of purchasing the device and using the sim you got with the device.

The sim number and imei will be on orange database.

Guest Fixticks
The only way to unlock the device is by contacting orange after 3 months of purchasing the device and using the sim you got with the device..

That so sucks, am not even in UK. dammit.

Guest yoni_max

Giff Gaff seem to be claiming that you can unlock this phone for free, anyone tried this or fancy giving it a go. Also seem to be some options for paid unlocking too.

http://giffgaff.com/unlock/orange-san-diego-phone

If this is possible I think it would tip the balance so I would get the phone, I could at least use it while I waited for root.

Guest Mtman1
Giff Gaff seem to be claiming that you can unlock this phone for free, anyone tried this or fancy giving it a go. Also seem to be some options for paid unlocking too.

If this is possible I think it would tip the balance so I would get the phone, I could at least use it while I waited for root.

here's a quote from someone in the 'how to flash xolo update thread':

Well i will have you know am down to 9 tries coz these idiots lied

It does not work. #desperate

Edited by Mtman1

Guest The Soup Thief

here's a quote from someone in the 'how to flash xolo update thread':

Idiots is right - on that page they refer to the Orange San Diego as a ZTE Bluebelt - IIRC the San Francisco was unlockable using a calculator for a TMN (ZTE?) Bluebelt (in fact I think it was the same website - I remember Nextgenserver from somewhere...)

The San Diego is of course an entirely different animal

Guest The Soup Thief

Incidentally - I guess it's currently about 2 months since the Orange released this phone

They were claiming to offer unlock codes themselves (for a fee) for people having had the phone for 3 months - anyone gonna go down this road?

Be sure and post if anyone has any joy...