Orange San Diego Review

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Simon O

Lies! Why does Paul seem to think October time!? :)

It's what Orange are saying. But the ICS update has been in development since January. I suspect Orange are holding out.

Guest Simon O

Probably best that I don't for the time being. Wouldn't want the door to be shut ;)

Some will probably think I'm being mean now. We have good reasons for not sharing the update publicly. We currently do not have a stock shipped ROM for the device to roll back to (all the gingerbread roms I found are several months old). There is a very serious and very real danger of bricking a device with a test rom. The ICS ROM is a development build using test keys so things like the market won't function properly.

Also sharing the update URL will result in the loophole being closed. Sorry.

Once the San Diego has full root and a recovery solution then builds of the ICS ROM will be shared as people will be able to easily restore the phones.

Guest k0nrad

OK, now I'm just a bit baffled - if you're joking, flibblesan, then you indeed *are* mean.

Test ICS ROMs for Medfield are known and a real thing - if mention of them in Anandtech's review of Lava Xolo x900 wasn't enough,

proves it.

I'm also pretty sure the ROMs may be already cooked up, only undergoing some (probably carrier-sided mostly) QA.

But I have a hard time believing that you guys have found an accessible 'update server' with test builds and stuff.

Guest Pondlife

If that card slot can be made active expect this will be the most disassembled phone with a "non removable" back.

Is a bit baffling as they only seem to be selling one capacity it would only have helped sales.

Guest Simon O

Haha, if someone wants to give me £200 to replace the phone when I badword up flashing the ROM, I'll do it ;)

Wait for Paul to update first. He can afford to replace.

Guest Rem1x

If that card slot can be made active expect this will be the most disassembled phone with a "non removable" back.

Is a bit baffling as they only seem to be selling one capacity it would only have helped sales.

The Atrix 4G came with a totally unusable FM Radio. Bit of a strange one that.

Guest Simon O

Who uses the FM Radio though... seriously?

Guest Pondlife

That makes a touch more sense as I think they have to pay more tax on it with fm radio, similar to why most cameras have 29min limit iirc

Guest Shahmatt

For equal prices I'd get the Razr Maxx every time. That's going to be twice the price over here though from what I've seen.

Thanks. It definitely looks like a good phone. But the screen is a tad less sharp and also the processor much slower, but maybe good enough.

No FM Radio - deal breaker for me. Why should I need to carry 2 portable devices nowadays? Pathetic omission.

Ack! Gasp! I could not live without my FM radio!

Where is this promised land (...of droid :P)?

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. The Razr Maxx is just avialable to me for about the same since I have points accummulated through my line service provider, which I can redeem to get the phone for a lower price. I am in Singapore.

How much is the Razr Maxx in the UK btw for pay as you go?

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest probals

This is sold in India as the Xolo X900, which come at ~260 gbp, SIM free. So, at 200 gbp this is a great buy.

Paul,

Any idea if both these phone are identical in all respects, as in will potential roots / ROMs be interchangable?

For the unlock / unbranding will the dump from the Xolo help. I don't have one, but a friend works at the company.

P

Guest Rem1x

This is sold in India as the Xolo X900, which come at ~260 gbp, SIM free. So, at 200 gbp this is a great buy.

Paul,

Any idea if both these phone are identical in all respects, as in will potential roots / ROMs be interchangable?

For the unlock / unbranding will the dump from the Xolo help. I don't have one, but a friend works at the company.

P

Don't take this for sure, I think externally the phones are different but internally they are the same. I'd wait for some one to confirm. I'd imagine it'd be similar to the ZTE Blade situation.

Guest Simon O

Paul,

P

No. The Xolo X900 is identified as a different device to the San Diego in terms of ROMs so it would most likely need it's own forum somewhere.

Guest Simon O

anyone found a xolo x900 gingerbread release rom?

Yes, but it won't flash to the San Diego as it's a different device. Even though they are from the same reference platform, the San Diego is AZ210A and the Xolo X900 is AZ510. The ROMs don't install.

Coincidently there is also the AZ210B which is the French version of the San Diego.

Guest Rem1x

Yes, but it won't flash to the San Diego as it's a different device. Even though they are from the same reference platform, the San Diego is AZ210A and the Xolo X900 is AZ510. The ROMs don't install.

Coincidently there is also the AZ210B which is the French version of the San Diego.

Maybe with some slight modifications you could get them to flash. HTC Desire, HTC HD2 and Nexus One ROMs were very similar and would run on each other with little hassle.

Guest Simon O

Maybe with some slight modifications you could get them to flash. HTC Desire, HTC HD2 and Nexus One ROMs were very similar and would run on each other with little hassle.

Of course, if we have root and a customer recovery image then we could flash the other roms once they are re-packaged. Just can't flash them as stock. Stock roms are updating firmware as well as the rom.. dangerous.

Guest Pondlife

Forgot to say I love the review, and this does look a serious piece of kit.

Thanks. It definitely looks like a good phone. But the screen is a tad less sharp and also the processor much slower, but maybe good enough.

How much is the Razr Maxx in the UK btw for pay as you go?

Are you going by the processor speeds or benchmarks? If just the speeds remember the Maxx has two cores.

Can't find the Maxx on pay&go atm, but it's £412 sim freee at amazon, which oddly beats the £450 for the non-Maxx version at carphone on pay&go.