The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest vermat17

We know what's in it for us - a rooted/ unlocked phone :P

It's just whether there's a realistic chance of it being hacked if we all donate to you.

So to my previous question: what sort of thing were you going to try if you had the phone? Maybe someone who already has the phone can try your suggestions out.

Guest vermat17

Has ANYONE donated ANYTHING to any of the folks on here, never mind me, who have been trying HARD to do this? I'd like to think so, but I cannot see it somehow... it's the modern air of "entitlement".

You reap the crop that you sow, my friends.

That's the way the land lies. :)

no need to donate lol i have been trying to hack the osd for 3 and a half week

I'm just saying...

Guest glossywhite

We know what's in it for us - a rooted/ unlocked phone :P

It's just whether there's a realistic chance of it being hacked if we all donate to you.

So to my previous question: what sort of thing were you going to try if you had the phone? Maybe someone who already has the phone can try your suggestions out.

I've not been on the forum for ages, and haven't the inclination to spend time investigating what's been happening, as it's a waste of my time, if I am unlikely to be hacking this device anytime soon. I've no idea - I get ideas when I have things in front of me - it's a way of thinking that I don't expect people to "get" or to understand, it's just how my mind ticks. :)

I'm not wasting huge amounts of my time on preliminary investigations based on the say-so of other people (MUCH of which is speculation and guess work, let's be honest), if I am unlikely to ever get to hack this thing - it will be MY time, wasted, which is time I cannot get back which is very precious to me. I am also working on hacking a router firmware, doing some gPXE ethernet card hacks and other things which are skills that are transferable and MUCH more valuable to the internet community than one solitary model of mobile phone.

If you want my skills, my time costs me a HUGE amount of time, whereas if each individual donates a tiny amount of money, it's insignificant and soon forgotten, whereas days/weeks of my life are going to impact one person much more than tiny donations will impact MANY donaters, individually. If you are saying "but you'll get a phone out of it" - well of course, do you think I should work for nothing? MANY MANY people will benefit from this... whereas I get a handset I'm in no need of, and lose a lot of my life working for almost nothing, collectively.

Try and see it from the point of view of the person willing to do the work. If I hear nothing back, I'll not be worried. I'm willing to focus on this effort ONLY once I have the handset, as any competent hacker or engineer will tell you that it is impossible to speculate WITHOUT the hardware in front of you.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest vermat17

I understand that this would take up a lot of your time, and that you don't have much to gain from it. But as you said in your earlier post, you want to do this to help other people, and as you said in your later post, it would help many, many people.

And I don't know if this is relevant, and in no way bigging up my dad, but my dad designed a whole computer based on one of the early Intel chips for his university engineering degree, without ever having access to the chip itself, just the specifications for it. So you can speculate to some degree without having the hardware.

But it's your decision, and I fully respect that. I won't ask you to spend £200 if I can't even contribute a fiver to it :P

Guest glossywhite

I understand that this would take up a lot of your time, and that you don't have much to gain from it. But as you said in your earlier post, you want to do this to help other people, and as you said in your later post, it would help many, many people.

And I don't know if this is relevant, and in no way bigging up my dad, but my dad designed a whole computer based on one of the early Intel chips for his university engineering degree, without ever having access to the chip itself, just the specifications for it. So you can speculate to some degree without having the hardware.

But it's your decision, and I fully respect that. I won't ask you to spend £200 if I can't even contribute a fiver to it :P

You should ask your Dad to help us! :P

It's all about bootloaders, entry points and "magic" signatures. Also, the hex address 0x4334 is very pertinent to this exploit, and so is is a certain dd if=*something* of=/dev/*something* bs=512 count=1 ;)

Edited by glossywhite

Guest vermat17

I have no idea what that means, and I doubt my dad does either, seeing as this was 30 odd years ago :P

But I'll show him this thread anyway, maybe he can whip out something from his university days :P You never know ;)

Guest shootomanUK

glossywhite how much in total did people donate ?, i know i said i would donate and i still would, as more and more people have bought the device now and joined this forum i think you should re-open the donations plea !

Guest glossywhite

glossywhite how much in total did people donate ?, i know i said i would donate and i still would, as more and more people have bought the device now and joined this forum i think you should re-open the donations plea !

Five quid... total.

If people wanna donate, PM me for my PayPal email address. :)

Thanks.

Guest shootomanUK

Well people does anyone fancy donating to glossywhite's san diego hacking fund ?

what have we got to lose even if its a fiver each, atleast then glossywhite will be a vital member of the osd hacking team, especially when ice cream sandwich comes out !

the osd is £179.99 + £10 top-up, also topcashback are doing "Orange PAYG Handset over £140 - get £45.45 back" (expires in 4 days)

:)

just think of the possibilities we have if he does hack it !

unlocked bootloader maybe

sim unlock maybe

root maybe

e.t.c

Edited by shootomanUK

We will never know if nobody puts their hands in pockets lol.

As I have said before, glossywhite is a good hardware hacker and could very well do something here, even if only root. I am sure we would all be happy with just that one thing.

@glossywhite, we have intel flasher, can flashers be hacked? The one we have is for the k800, basically same device.

Edited by Guest

Guest glossywhite

ShootomanUK - PM sent, very kind of you, thank you. I hope we get this snowball rolling down the hill of donations :)

@jikobutsu: ANYTHING can be hacked. A man makes something, another can break it.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

if it can be encoded, it can be decoded

Usually :P

[uPDATE]

Someone kindly donated £10 (do I name the person? I don't like making this public in case others feel pressured), so the total is £15 now.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest punjabi

Ok guys, I'm ready to donate as well if there's others our there that are willing to do the same... I don't think we can lose much with a fiver really. Only gain I suppose!

Guest domenico lamberti

isnt the Lenovo K800 a different phone completely (still intel) but different screen,camera etc. excuse for my stupidity, but doesnt that make it less than helpful for us

Guest vermat17

Quick update on the asking Xolo for help front... I emailed them yesterday asking for a specific ICS release date and a final decision on helping us. This was their reply:

"Dear Customer,

The ICS is expected to be launched by the End of September-2012 on our website www.xolo.in.

Secondly, As per concerned team rooting is not possible."

So nothing new on the release date, but it sadly seems that we're not gonna get any support from them :(