The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

it will not break your device :)

It could break your device. It's not likely to break your device, but it could break your device if you balls it up or something unexpected happens. Same with flashing any other phone.

I'm good at following instructions, but I'm not going to try it.

But hey, I'm a coward.

Guest technomole

Well I have tried a few times to get the update to work, cleared cache, even reset the phone to the factory settings, but the update fails at the same point everytime.

Not sure why, just won't do it, the phone still works, so I haven't killed it.

Guess I'll have to wait until orange decide to release the ics update, which I'm doubtful they will, or failing that I'll have to wait until someone manages to root it, then I'll have another go.

Cheers for the advice.

Guest technomole

Why the doubt?

Every person I've spoken to that works for orange seems to know nothing about an ics update for the san diego, I've also emailed orange and got a similar "we have no idea what you are talking about" response ... when you add that to poor sales of the san diego (from what I've heard anyway) I wonder if they will bother, and apparently intel are already working on a port of jelly bean, it would make more sense (to me anyway) to update the phone once the jelly bean port is done, rather than add all the orange crud to an ics update then have to do it all again in a few months, might as well wait the extra time and just butcher jelly bean instead.

Edited by technomole

The lava xolo x900 ics update is this month so orange can keep their orange ice cream. As long as the x900 update is available on their site, we are good to go.

@technomole, I cannot see why the update does not work for you, assuming you did it right there is no reason for it not to work.

Did you put the recovery.bin into the flasher folder then the update on root of internal sd ? Also, when you extract the recovery.bin from update.zip you did not move it from there but only extract so you have recovery.bin still in update.zip and the extracted one in flasher folder ?

If I remember right, the flasher is only needed to flash the intel logo......the update just goes on root of sd card, then you select update from within phone settings.

According to this comment on facebook, we should have ics already lol:

‎@xolo ..please answer....u have said ICS will be available in 1st week of September........can u please give its date.

Edited by Guest

Every person I've spoken to that works for orange seems to know nothing about an ics update for the san diego

Looks like you've been speaking to the wrong people:

Seriously, little Orange logo on the back and everything.

Intel have a lot riding on this device being a success. This is the first time that I know of where a phone with an Intel chip in it has been advertised on TV, or even been mentioned more than once outside of geek circles. If the OSD flops, Intel have a lot to loose.

I can't see them letting Orange get away with not releasing the update. It would be the mother of all embarrassments if Intel put the OSD on a stand, with a Orange logo on the back of the device, to obviously show off ICS, and then go ahead and not release it. Intel have done some daft things before, but not even they are that boneheaded.

when you add that to poor sales of the san diego (from what I've heard anyway)

Heard from Orange? From Intel? Or just the wild speculation on this forum, which was third hand information?

That phone is still on the main page of orange.co.uk, I'd say it's probably doing fairly well. It's just not many San Diego customers will be frequenting this forum. But that's also wild speculation. Until we get proper sales numbers from somewhere, and not third hand information from someone in a shop, we simply do not know.

It's still very, very early days yet. I'm very very sure we'll see ICS, and probably JB as well. Sadly, these things just take time. Samsung Galaxy S3 owners are still waiting for JB, despite it's mammoth sales figures, and you can bet your bottom dollar than Samsung are working to get that update out as soon as possible.

I understand the emotions. I'm old and ugly enough to be let down by idoit corporations before. But it's not going to happen this time. We'll get ICS, I've bet £200 on it. I'm fairly confident we'll get JB as well... Beyond that, I dunno...

Guest technomole

The lava xolo x900 ics update is this month so orange can keep their orange ice cream. As long as the x900 update is available on their site, we are good to go.

@technomole, I cannot see why the update does not work for you, assuming you did it right there is no reason for it not to work.

Did you put the recovery.bin into the flasher folder then the update on root of internal sd ? Also, when you extract the recovery.bin from update.zip you did not move it from there but only extract so you have recovery.bin still in update.zip and the extracted one in flasher folder ?

If I remember right, the flasher is only needed to flash the intel logo......the update just goes on root of sd card, then you select update from within phone settings.

According to this comment on facebook, we should have ics already lol:

‎@xolo ..please answer....u have said ICS will be available in 1st week of September........can u please give its date.

In a word no, I just followed the instructions from the xolo website, which basically consists of copying the update.zip file onto the phone, which I'm guessing is what I'm doing wrong (who'd have thought it)

Do I need to create the flasher folder on the phone ? as I see no folder with that name in the update folder.

" Ignore this, I've found the post (note to self, it's advisable to read a fair chunk of the posts to avoid stupid questions) "

Edited by technomole

Guest technomole

Heard from Orange? From Intel? Or just the wild speculation on this forum, which was third hand information?

I've seen that video as well, and also heard that intel have begun (or already have it finished) porting jelly bean, admitedly a lot of it is rumours, I know that I was the first person to buy the osd from the orange shop in my town (I know that the sales from one shop don't show a full break down of sales) and that's after a couple of weeks of it being out, and although generally speaking the companies that make phones for orange (zte as an example) do a pretty good job I think that having the orange branding puts people off buying it, motorola are bringing out a phone with an intel chip, I would think that'll do better than the osd.

I would think intel will make sure these updates get pushed out, and in all honesty I'm not sure why the osd wasn't relesed with ics already on it, it would have made it a far more attractive buy for people wanting an up to date phone that, despite the price is actually pretty good, and runs well.

It's maybe a bunch of things that I feel might mean this phone struggles, but what do I know :D

Guest technomole

It seems I now have what appears to be stock ginger bread, which it has to be said is a vast improvement on the orange bloat, many thanks for the help.

See you as soon as ics is out, as no doubt I'll make a pigs ear of it again :D

It seems I now have what appears to be stock ginger bread, which it has to be said is a vast improvement on the orange bloat, many thanks for the help.

See you as soon as ics is out, as no doubt I'll make a pigs ear of it again :D

Good to hear it worked for you......your build number should now be v1.230

Guest glossywhite

What IS with this forum displaying 20:35pm as "08:35pm"? Does noone care about such irregularities and appearance?

Edited by glossywhite

Lol never noticed it before.....maybe you should ask paul for a job :lol:

On this forum we not so bothered about such details....we have OSD's not OCD :lol:

Sorry if I am not being funny, it way to early for me to be joking around.

Edited by Guest

I've seen that video as well, and also heard that intel have begun (or already have it finished) porting jelly bean, admitedly a lot of it is rumours, I know that I was the first person to buy the osd from the orange shop in my town (I know that the sales from one shop don't show a full break down of sales) and that's after a couple of weeks of it being out, and although generally speaking the companies that make phones for orange (zte as an example) do a pretty good job I think that having the orange branding puts people off buying it, motorola are bringing out a phone with an intel chip, I would think that'll do better than the osd.

But to say that ICS won't appear, after hearing from Xolo and Orange promising it will happen, and watching that Video... You still think we won't get ICS?

I would think intel will make sure these updates get pushed out, and in all honesty I'm not sure why the osd wasn't relesed with ics already on it, it would have made it a far more attractive buy for people wanting an up to date phone that, despite the price is actually pretty good, and runs well.

Oh yeah, a complete misstep on their part. My guess is that the phone was ready before the software was. ICS was annouced in October 2011. The Nexus obviously got a quick update, but it took a long time to other phones to get it. It took until March 2012 for the Galaxy S2 to get it's ICS update, which was their flagship device of the time, that's before the carriers slow everything down and roll their own updates...

Intel and Google went public in September 2011, so one assumes that they started working on Gingerbread and decided that the delay in rebasing everything to ICS wasn't worth it. They were aiming for "early 2012", so one can assume the OSD was delayed as it was... I'm guessing someone just took the decision to "just release the damn thing". Possibly a bad move.

Admittedly, other manufacturers are releasing ICS devices without issue. But they don't have the extra work or porting an entire OS to x86. And I can tell you now that the ARM "translator" that Intel is using wasn't quick to write either.

I'm inclined to agree the Morotola phone will do better, probably due to the weight of Google behind it now. What do the you think the odds are of Motorola making the next Nexus phone, and it being powered by the Intel processor? Now wouldn't that shake things up a bit? It would benefit us as well; more people looking for root exploits (for those that want it), and more developers. Remember you heard it here first! And if I'm right, you owe me a coke.

What IS with this forum displaying 20:35pm as "08:35pm"? Does noone care about such irregularities and appearance?

No, nobody cares. Just adjust your time zone in your profile until it shows correctly for you.

Guest glossywhite

I never realised "08:35pm" was even a time - the "0" prefix indicates AM on the 24 hour clock; this has NOTHING to do with time zones whatsoever, but thank you for the advice, although it is a matter of bad coding, not my time zone settings.

On this forum we not so bothered about such details....we have OSD's not OCD :lol:

Really? then you guys won't even worry about the laggy, ugly Orange firmwares - you won't even have noticed them, as you're so laid back ;)

LOL!!

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

No because I dont have the crappy laggy orange firmware, and you dont need to worry either as you do not have or want an osd ;)

Well that is because you didn't like it, and removed it... else it would still be Orangeade, ergo it DID bother you :P

... unless ... you just woke up one morning, and the San Diego had flashed ITSELF with an update... ya know... so as not to trouble you with it? :P

hehe

I'm teasing you...

Edited by glossywhite

Well that is because you didn't like it, and removed it... else it would still be Orangeade, ergo it DID bother you :P

... unless ... you just woke up one morning, and the San Diego had flashed ITSELF with an update... ya know... so as not to trouble you with it? :P

hehe

I'm teasing you...

Lol you do like a good tease.

To be honest I was not that bothered by the orange rom since I use a launcher of my choice with all orange apps hidden, I only updated to the x900 because it was there. It kind of becomes a habit updating when you have an android device, always another version of the custom rom available lol, so it was only following habit when ricky wyatt found out that we could use the update. But now I am on x900 I would not go back to orange if the chance arose simply because the x900 update is pure gingerbread apart two minor apps.

Guest glossywhite

Lol you do like a good tease.

To be honest I was not that bothered by the orange rom since I use a launcher of my choice with all orange apps hidden, I only updated to the x900 because it was there. It kind of becomes a habit updating when you have an android device, always another version of the custom rom available lol, so it was only following habit when ricky wyatt found out that we could use the update. But now I am on x900 I would not go back to orange if the chance arose simply because the x900 update is pure gingerbread apart two minor apps.

Super :)

I believe you won't be able to install the Orange Update if you're on the Lava ROM Update

Can you imagine if because we are on the x900 update that we cannot get the orange update and lava decide not to allow usb update for ics and for some reason we could not update through lava over the air....forever stuck on gingerbread! :o :angry: :lol:

Sorry that was a bit of a tongue twister, you may have to read several times :lol:

Edited by Guest