The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest vermat17

Guys do you think it's a possibility now that Orange is officially becoming EE (correct me if I'm wrong btw), they will take a different stand on unlocking the bootloader??

Guest domenico lamberti

from my understanding, Orange And T-Mobile are still 2 seperately owned and run companies, and EE is a third brand completely different, so i doubt they will, but hopefully they leave an exploit in the ICS firmware and we cant get root or something, its a start

Guest scuzzbucket

EE is the trading name of the combined Orange/T-Mobile company. I've heard they plan on opening combined shops too. Probably going to, eventually, completely get rid of Orange/T-Mo branding.

Guest domenico lamberti

Glossywhite i get either T-Mobile or Orange Signal everywhere i go, in the south east of the UK atleast i cant speak for up north, but here its great

Edited by domenico lamberti

Guest BlueMoonRising

Glossywhite i get either T-Mobile or Orange Signal everywhere i go, in the south east of the UK atleast i cant speak for up north, but here its great

I get a good signal all over the East of Scotland, better than my son when he was on VodaCanNotfone.

I've noticed that what Glossywhite likes to call "teasing" is ALWAYS negative, he really needs to lighten up a bit.

Guest Immortal7

I managed to have a chat to one of the Orange advisors online.... here's how it went:

Welcome to Orange online chat. One of our advisors will be with you as soon as possible.

You're now chatting to Paul.

Paul: Hello, you're chatting to Paul. I am part of the dedicated Orange Online Sales Team. How can I help you with your new order?

Paul: Hello Mike

mike: Hi, It's not a new order but I own a San Diego

mike: I have a question

Paul: May I know your query?

mike: Yeah, I would like to know when the software update is due, can you help me with that?

Paul: Mike, it is expected to be available by end of this year.

Paul: Probably by November.

mike: Can you be anymore specific? I have heard rumours of it being available this month?

Paul: It's will not be available this month as there are no updates yet.

mike: I see. Would you be able to confirm a possible update to Jellybean? I have read that Intel have ported it to there devices

Paul: Jellybeans, updates will be available with in 2 months for sure, so it will be better to wait for the Jelly beans.

mike: Ok, thanks for your help.

Paul: My pleasure Mike.

Paul: Is there anything else I can help you with?

Not sure what to make of it, I'm guessing he's confusing Jellybean with ICS?

Guest technomole

Seeing as there's no ics for the osd as yet, I though't I'd post some observations of my phone since I stuck the xolo update on it.

For a start there's a load of extra space, which although I expected some extra mb's here and there I wasn't expecting quite as much as I seem to have and I actually have extra apps to what I had before I used the update.

The phone seems more responsive, not that it was very laggy anyway, but now it's pretty quick when doing most things, even when I have loads of stuff going on.

There has been mention of the phone forgetting to connect to wireless networks, which I myself had experienced, but it doesn't do it now, so I wonder if it might have been something to do with the orange bloat ? has anyone else found this.

And finally the battery seems to last longer, and not only that I'm saving a little on data, which I assume is down to the lack of orange apps attempting to use a data connection.

I'm now wondering what else might improve with ics :D

There has been mention of the phone forgetting to connect to wireless networks, which I myself had experienced, but it doesn't do it now, so I wonder if it might have been something to do with the orange bloat ? has anyone else found this.

I've never had this. Running stock Orange firmware, customised as much as Android lets me :-)

Would be interesting to see a xolo updated phone side-by-side with a stock phone. I wonder how much performance can be gained by replacing the launcher etc. without changing the firmware.

Guest vermat17

Just wondering if the root method from @bin4ryDigit that Paul posted might work on the OSD once it gets ICS?? Didn't Paul say it rooted his bootloader locked Nexus 7??