[ROM][ZTE Skate] Paranoid Android - CM9 - Tablet UI (15/12/2012)

Guest C3C0

Thanks C3CO, as I said, I'm not blaming you, I know it's not your fault so don't worry about that, I've been using always your roms and I'll change to another of your creations.

I don't use titanium back up but the same files on the SD. I'll do a last try with a formated memory card.

Best regards mate :D

You don't need to waste your time anymore. :)

Rather wait for the next release. Miracles happen..

It will take some time but I suppose yesterday it wiil be ready since I'll have a day off.

There's no need to use external app. Power switch in status bar can be set for different network modes.

(Settings / System / notification drawer / widgets buttons / network modes)

Hmmm, was looking for it, but.....

settings-system-notification-drawer.png

Yes, and this setting is available only for Phone UI statusbar.

Since tablet status bar switches are 2-mode only (on, off)

I think the default behavior of switching between 2g/3g is OK.

When 2g only edge/gprs is initiated.

if 3g then wcdma/hsupa with automatic fallback to 2g if 3g is not available

Edited by C3C0

I give up with this rom I have a lot of crashes with Paranoid Android (even I need to reboot if I want to check if someone has sent me a message).

I know it's not C3CO's fault, because I've used others roms created by him and his work is excelent, actually, I'll go back to CM7, MokeeOS or even Skatie (not sure yet).

I will check the next PA version.

For these reboots, logcat don't give the reason. After the reboot: if you go to /data/system/dropbox and read the latest [email protected] (after extracting the text), you should find the reason of the reboot. Very useful ;) Edited by teemo

Yes, and this setting is available only for Phone UI statusbar.

Since tablet status bar switches are 2-mode only (on, off)

I think the default behavior of switching between 2g/3g is OK.

When 2g only edge/gprs is initiated.

if 3g then wcdma/hsupa with automatic fallback to 2g if 3g is not available

Oh no. The point is to force 3g. My house is in area with not too good 3g, but it is way better than 2g.

On default "Prefer 3g" phone will toggle between 3g and 2g, making internet useless....

CM7 can force 3g :D

For these reboots, logcat don't give the reason. After the reboot: if you go to /data/system/dropbox and read the latest [email protected] (after extracting the text), you should find the reason of the reboot. Very useful

uh.. I have 2 files but I have no idea what I could do, where I have to look :blush:

Guest bmajor

Hi C3CO,

Strange to read reports of system problems.

installed on last Friday ( saturday?) and using it for every day use in tablet mode with phone staus bar( no games, phone and email plus navigation) and no complaint so far. Happy user till today.

Thanks mate

( only the bootanim what I do not like)

B

uh.. I have 2 files but I have no idea what I could do, where I have to look

Not much we can do, but I am sure a clever developer can ;-)

Here is an example of what to look for, from an old reboot I had - pretty obvious:

[09-06 15:37:13.780000] [17349: ip6tables]kernel BUG at /home/ceco/android/kernel/skate/mm/vmalloc.c:1426!

[09-06 15:37:13.780000] [17349: ip6tables]Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000

[09-06 15:37:13.790000] [17349: ip6tables]Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception

Edited by teemo

New version now available.

Changelog 03/10/2012

- merged with the latest CM9 sources

- Paranoid settings revised

--- initial configuration changed to make the initial UI more user-friendly not to discourage/confuse users running the rom for the first time

--- all system apps are in Phone mode by default with exception of Calculator and Browser (I find them better in tablet mode)

--- tablet status bar at top of the screen by default

--- soft buttons disabled by default

--- fixed "List of apps" setting not opening the list of apps

--- fixed handling of default Paranoid settings + attaching correct default values that are in line with default pad.prop at first launch

- Losckscreen shortcuts

--- enabled possibility to set more shortcuts (bottom shortcuts) also in normal phone mode (when hybrid mode turned off)

--- changed layout of unlock slider to make bottom shortcuts visible

--- changed layout of configuration screen (Settings / Lockscreen / Slider shortcuts) to make bottom shortcuts accessible for configuration

- increased "long-press back button kill" timeout to 2 seconds

- extended dithering options (Settings / Performance / Surface improvement)

- replaced ugly bootanimation with one from CM10 - nicer and smaller (10MB freed on system partition)

- possible to upgrade from previous build. Refer to upgrade instructions in the first post.

Guest Nofan Tasi

@C3C0

pa_skate-1.6a-03OCT2012-C3C0 works fairly well, but, every now and then, still some user interface restart...

I can provide logcat and /data/system/dropbox content

Have a nice day

Guest Nofan Tasi

Here is a sequence of activities leading to issue

- uninstall skype

- reinstall skype from play store

- link skype apk, dex and lib 2 SD

- run skype

- skype forced closes (most often I do not see any app forced closing)

- screen dimms and system seems to hang (no longer responds to touch)

- user interface restarts (CM10 animation).

from dropbox:

[email protected]

seems relevant (same crash appears in logcat)

some logcat lines:

Force stopping package com.skype.raider

FATAL EXCEPTION: main

Thanks c3c0 for your development and support!

dropbox.tar.gz

logcat.gz

I use Skype without issues. I have it linked on ext, too, but without dalvik cache. I always avoid linking dex for all apps since this is accessed by system frequently and can wear off sd card more quickly.

I will take a look at the log files. Thanks for feedback.

Edited by C3C0

Guest Nofan Tasi

Actually, I mostly run all apps (including skype) without issues as well, but (un|re)(installing|linking) seems to correlate to restarts.

Before I install ROM, I will typically uninstall a few big apps in order to not hit low or no enough space after install. So one of the

first things to do after ROM install is to reinstall these apps and relink them.

Thanks.

I think I have something. Finally managed to crash the system myself. I opened as many appas I could and switch between them for like

15 minutes until I got the following error

E/IMemory ( 1521): cannot dup fd=1022, size=421888, err=0 (Too many open files)

E/IMemory ( 1521): cannot map BpMemoryHeap (binder=0x6f1300), size=421888, fd=-1 (Bad file number)

F/libc    ( 1521): Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV) at 0x00007ffb (code=1)

I looked into native code of Paranoid extended utils class and found out that the devs forgot to close open file handles in their functions. This can potentially result in using all of the available system file handles until system is not able to allocate more... So now I will try to change code to close open files after they are not needed anymore to see if this will fix the issue. For example. In this function file is open but it is not closed after it is not needed anymore...

static jstring android_util_ExtendedPropertiesUtils_readFile(JNIEnv* env, jobject clazz, jstring msgObj)

{

const char* msgString = env->GetStringUTFChars(msgObj, NULL);

FILE* file = fopen(msgString, "r");

if(file == NULL)

return NULL;

fseek(file, 0, SEEK_END);

long int size = ftell(file);

rewind(file);

char* content = (char*) calloc(size + 1, 1);

fread(content,1,size,file);

if(isParanoidRom())

return env->NewStringUTF(content);

else{

jniThrowException(env, "java/lang/SecurityException", "This ROM is not ParanoidAndroid");

return NULL;

}

}