Jr17 (JDQ39 / 4.2.2): MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Anil K Solanki

anyone else have issues selecting Contacts to Display in the People app? Everytime i do the app FC's. I ahve attempted to pull the apks (Phone, ContactsProvider, and Contacts) from another ROM but i can't get phone to show in app drawer...thoughts?

Hi ejlax, the People app works just fine for me. Selecting, editing a contact with no FC's. Sorry.

Anil

Guest ejlax

Hi ejlax, the People app works just fine for me. Selecting, editing a contact with no FC's. Sorry.

Anil

The app works great for me too for the most part. If you select menu, then "Contacts to Display" and choose a separate account other than All contacts, what happens? Mine FC's then the only way to get the People app to work again is the go into the Phone.apk and redo the process but select All Contacts... Also can't update a user's contact picture

Guest Anil K Solanki

The app works great for me too for the most part. If you select menu, then "Contacts to Display" and choose a separate account other than All contacts, what happens? Mine FC's then the only way to get the People app to work again is the go into the Phone.apk and redo the process but select All Contacts... Also can't update a user's contact picture

Hi ejlax, I tried your suggestion and no FC's. Sorry. I must admit I had forgotten you could choose which account to displays contacts from. I have two Gmail accounts and one WhatsApp account.

Have fun. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi ejlax, I'm using the stock Jelly Bean apps. The only change I've made is to change the kernel. I'm using Franco's kernel to allow for colour correction of the screen.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm BACK! :)

hmmm i cant seem to get google music to work, it doesnt ask me to sign in it jut looks for onboard music of which there is none.

I use Google Music on mine all the time with no issues. The sign in option only appears when it sees your Google Account supports Google Music... See if 'Music' appears in your Google Account sync options in the main device settings?

I am having to charge my phone three times each day - when I updated from stock to this ROM my battery is terrible might have to revert back to your first ROM Paul. Nobody else experiencing this? Any ideas? It even drains with mobile data and all location services off. Not good :-(

Excellent battery life here. I recommend betterbatterystats to check for any issues.

Hi Brembo109, I've recently switched from a LG O2X. So far, a few days, I really love this handset and Jelly Bean. The only annoyance is the colour tint of the screen. But in order to make colour changes I need a different kernel. Assuming your using franco's kernel. Have you tried tweaking the colours? If you have, does it make a worthwhile improvement? I'm not interested in better battery life, or Higher quadrant scores. Simply stability, with everything working.

I would appreciate any insights. Many thanks. Anil

Franco's Kernel is great, I highly recommend it!

There has to be a solution, because CM9 and 10 are much louder, even the system sounds and ringer. Maybe Paul can look into it

I shall investigate!

I'm still having this exact same issue in Jr5. It's not a big deal at the moment as I can just push the file to /sdcard/ and install it on the device itself but it is annoying.

This is also occuring on my N7 ROM, it's probably a directory permissions issue, so i'll look into it.

Only thing I have noticed now though is a slight purple color after pressing the soft keys. Why can't my gnex screen be like my nexus 7 :-(

I really prefer IPS to OLED to, but not everyone does! Thankfully One X <> Nexus 7 is an OK transition. :D

In Paul's defense he is on holiday.

No problems with notifications here either using trackball alert pro

There is an issue with Trackball Alert Pro not displaying when screen is on (e.g. testing notifications), I will fix this, but for the primary function (notifications when screen is off) it should be fine!

Hi,

I was wondering what is required to add locale Australia to the ROM so that English (Australia) can be selected when setting up the phone?

I'll check it out. You can also use MoreLocales from the Play Store to set it up.

you can run it on cdma, but you need to change out some files from a CDMA rom

I can include these changes in the kitchen if anyone can confirm the files that need changing (hard for me to test with no CDMA device!)

P

Guest ejlax

I can include these changes in the kitchen if anyone can confirm the files that need changing (hard for me to test with no CDMA device!)

P

Paul, I will put together a quick .zip for you and get you a link with some instructions. BTW your ROM is killer, best battery life, super smooth and stable! Thanks for your work! It is really appreciated.

EDIT: there are also some build prop edits that must occur to call on the ril_lte.so file. I will include the build.prop of yours that i edited to make it work. Also i am including the BT and Wifi drivers that have better luck with the LTE devices. The boot.img file is a Franco kernel as well, and work amazingly well.

Edited by ejlax

Guest Anil K Solanki

I'm BACK! :)

Franco's Kernel is great, I highly recommend it!

P

Hi Paul, I've been running Franco's kernel and associated app for 13 days now and it is great. Being able to correct the colour on the OLED display makes this handset perfect for me.

As for OLED. I truly can't understand some folks preference for other technologies. The blacks are simply amazing, other technologies truly pale in comparison. And while I'm at it, Pentile Matrix. Why is this a dirty word in some user's vocabulary? I have seen closeup micscope pics, and they do look a little fuzzy and weird. But back in the real world, Pentile looks great. The Galaxy NEXUS is handsdown the best handset I've come across, once you install Franco's kernel and tweak the colours. But the killer feature is Jelly Bean. Now, today. Not hacked or some talented dev's own compile. But straight from Mountain View.

As the great Steve Jobs famously said, "It's the software, dummy.". Don't be wooed and fooled by hardware specs. Software is where the magic happens.

I only wish Google made a 3.7 inch device I could give to my petite girlfriend.

Thanks. Have fun. Anil

Guest ejlax

Anil,

Have you tried the franco kernel with the trinity color scheme from TRinity Kernel app? It gives most all the same functionality, but he has done us all a solid by adding the Content Adaptive Brightness, which really gives a deeper black feel.

Guest Anil K Solanki

Anil,

Have you tried the franco kernel with the trinity color scheme from TRinity Kernel app? It gives most all the same functionality, but he has done us all a solid by adding the Content Adaptive Brightness, which really gives a deeper black feel.

Hi ejlax, to be honest I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. I understand Franco has a kernel with an associated app to allow you control over the colour of the screen I'm using it now. But how do I use the Trinity colour scheme? Do I need to buy this app.

I would be grateful. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest ejlax

the content adaptive brightness from what i know, makes the blacks deeper and the whites whiter so that there is better contrast on the screen without having to saturate your colors. Yes the Trinity Kernel App is around 1.99 USD and does most of the same as Franco's App. In fact, i think that Franco may have that in his app also...he calls it trinity's brightness control or something and it scales from -24 (i use -32) to 24.

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi Eric, thanks for the info. The setting you speak of is indeed built in to Franco's kernel. I have tried the adaptive contrast setting and don't like it, so I have it turned off. I find the blacks on the Gnex to be menacingly black as it is. Colour is a subjective subject, so as long as the person using the colour settings is happy, then there is no wrong setting.

Many thanks. Have fun. Anil

Guest Luirawr

Has anybody else noticed in JR5 + Franco Kernel #232 that both CPU's tend to go offline. Upon checking the System Tuner app under the "times" tab, it states quite alot of hours where my CPU has had both 0 and 1 cores off.

Its strange and im sure its a glitch but surely if this was true then my phone wouldnt work?

I have had problems recieving calls and texts etc, they wont come through until i turn my screen on...

Completely Lost

Guest Anil K Solanki

Has anybody else noticed in JR5 + Franco Kernel #232 that both CPU's tend to go offline. Upon checking the System Tuner app under the "times" tab, it states quite alot of hours where my CPU has had both 0 and 1 cores off.

Its strange and im sure its a glitch but surely if this was true then my phone wouldnt work?

I have had problems recieving calls and texts etc, they wont come through until i turn my screen on...

Completely Lost

Hi Luirawr, I run the same ROM and kernel. Both work fine together, everything is working, phone calls, text messages, WhatsApp messages etc. I downloaded System Tuner and checked the "times tab". I felt out of my league deciphering the data. And I feel the many many brilliant minds at Google know what they are doing, so there is no need for me to tinker.

But in a direct answer to your query. All is OK on this end. Have fun. Anil

PS. I had a though after my post. I use the app Light Flow to control LED notifications, and there is an option in the app to "Run in foreground", and thereby perhaps affecting CPU cores being turned off? Either way everything works great, and I get fantastic battery life on 3G and Wi-Fi.

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Completely Lost

Are you using a a powersaver "feature" in the kernel?

Guest Luirawr

Thanks for the quick reply guys,

My power save modes are turned off. The cpu governor is set to ondemand and i always have apps running in the background to ensure cpu is still on

I have attached a screenshot of system tuner on my phone detailing the times. As you can see 4 minutes of the phone being have been spent with both cores off... Just baffles me

I dont have any notification light on, i have turned it off in the settings within android

post-749888-0-23780400-1344614435_thumb.

Guest Anil K Solanki

My power save modes are turned off. The cpu governor is set to ondemand and i always have apps running in the background to ensure cpu is still on

I have attached a screenshot of system tuner on my phone detailing the times. As you can see 4 minutes of the phone being have been spent with both cores off... Just baffles me

I dont have any notification light on, i have turned it off in the settings within android

Hi Luirawr, I have my kernel settings at default apart from the colour settings, and the USB charge mode. Therefore my governor is set to interactive. Perhaps this might help? I'm stabbing in the dark here, but at least it will only take a few minutes to try it.

Have fun. Anil

i think the offline that you are seeing is what is known as Deep Sleep...it is when the CPU's are basically at idle. This IS A GOOD THING. It saves battery. you want more of that. In fact it looks like you spend most of your time in 384 zone which means you are probably suffering from the deep sleep issue. Go into maps, get a gps lock, then back arrow out of it. I think you will find that the offline times will increase over time. Or you could be leaving your phone on the charger, in which case it typically stays at the lowest cpu setting.

Edited by ejlax

Guest MacAllan

What Franco kernel version are you using for this rom?

I tried r.232 but it seems to have a higher battery drain then stock kernel of this rom.

Edited by MacAllan

Guest Anil K Solanki

Hi MacAllan, I'm using the latest nightly 232. I get great battery life. Regardless, everyone's usage pattern and handset settings vary and greatly affect battery life. Brightness settings, 3G or 2G, how long they actually use their handset with the screen on, etc.

Franco's kernel is solid. Have fun. Anil

Edited by Anil K Solanki

Guest corpisa

Hi MacAllan, I'm using the latest nightly 232. I get great battery life. Regardless, everyone's usage pattern and handset settings vary and greatly affect battery life. Brightness settings, 3G or 2G, how long they actually use their handset with the screen on, etc.

Franco's kernel is solid. Have fun. Anil

I just cant stand the color that kernel gives my phone, I guess I`ll by his app someday to try them as I just always take them out after the first reboot,....

slds,

Guest Anil K Solanki

I just cant stand the color that kernel gives my phone, I guess I`ll by his app someday to try them as I just always take them out after the first reboot,....

slds,

Hi corpisa, ironically, I use Franco's kernel and bought his app purely because of the easy to use interface for colour correction. It might be worth investing the cost of a cup of coffee to buy the app?

Have fun. Anil

Guest corpisa

Hi corpisa, ironically, I use Franco's kernel and bought his app purely because of the easy to use interface for colour correction. It might be worth investing the cost of a cup of coffee to buy the app?

Have fun. Anil

yeah... that's what I'll end up doing I guess just to really try those kernels as so far I have stay with stock one for the most part or whatever the flashed rom had. Anyway I was on vacation but I start working again tomorrow so it's time to come back to my favorite ROM, lot's of other stuff out there but I just like the stability this modaco custom roms gives me for a really day to day phone, I really do use it as a working tool and I need it to be as reliable as possible. The only thing missing for me to make this a perrfect rom is to improve a little bit the sound of the phone, I can believe samsung did not realize this before putting it to the public,my wife has a sony xperia arc and you can hear the ringtone from your neighbors house and with mine if you are not paying attention you will get a couple of miss calls for sure... :P