What about Jelly Bean on Skate???

Guest whashnez

Guest Josh92

I like them, just earth doesn't work and you do need system space. About 20-30 meg maybe. Ears also doesn't work. Not sure why. Maybe a paranoid android issue but not sure

Okay thanks, may give them a go soon, found Google Now was running but pretty buggy, kept not doing the searches, definitely not as useful without the full functionality & jelly bean.

Guest Josh92

I didn't notice a difference from the normal search app honestly but maybe I'm doing something wrong

Really? Looks visually different quite noticeably. I've only installed the xda one Hugo mentioned though not the whole jelly bean pack.

Guest ukgnome

I don't suppose someone could load the ics fonts.The jelly bean fonts have issues with the play store.

OK it may or may not be fonts. As they are now back to displaying correctly.

Edited by ukgnome

Guest iReece

Lolwut. You best hope apple don't find their way over here, or else we will never get Google Now...

It's already been banned in some areas of the US... :/

Guest creedence

CyanogenMod

On Jelly Bean

Unless you have been internet deprived lately, you are aware that Android 4.1 aka Jelly Bean (JB) is due out in the coming weeks. Which inevitably leads to the question: How does this affect me CyanogenMod?

Now, to preface this, we do not have our hands on the source code, and things in this post may change dependent on analysis of the code first hand and the impacts. That said, we do have a general understanding of the changes and what we can expect, and this post serves to highlight the key changes.

CyanogenMod Next

Many have asked whether JB will be CM9.1 or CM10. Keeping with the pattern thus far, every newly named AOSP update results in a bump to the CM major version. This has the added benefit of fitting into the pattern of [insert codename position in the english alphabet] = CM version. Examples being: G is the 7th letter thus CM7, I is the 9th letter thus CM9 and J = 10.

I can’t believe its not Butter

The ‘Project Butter’ enhancements to Android are much anticipated and should not be a huge pain to merge. We anticipate some breakage in existing libs but nothing that the reference board devices or some hackery won’t overcome. Essentially, if your device met our criteria for CM9 (512mb RAM, etc) and is already supported, then you should be in line for CM10. There may be some added headaches around hwcomposer, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get source.

Another fresh start?

With CM9 (and ICS) being such a large jump from CM7 (GB) we decided it would be best and most efficient to essentially rewrite CM enhancements from scratch. This added a bit of time to our development cycle, but the initial investment in cleaning our codebase has paid off, and CM9 is better for it. Now that JB is around the corner, we are in a place where most of our code will merge cleanly into JB, with minimal fuss.

What needs rework?

Since we don’t have source, we obviously can’t give a 100% analysis. What we do anticipate refactoring is Trebuchet and the LockScreen enhancements, along with the Theme Engine.

In addition, we expect to have to hand merge (versus a more automated method) the updated Framework code. This isn’t because of massive changes, but from what we’ve heard, the Framework code has been split into multiple projects to better the PDK (Platform Development Kit). Should be doable in a weekend’s amount of time.

CM7, 9, and 10 at the same time?

Our goal is to release a stable CM 9.0.0 (and any needed .1’s). After that, we will work on CM7 and CM10 only. As stated above, CM9 devices are highly likely to get CM10, so maintaining a separate class of devices for CM9 only is inefficient.

Guest utternoob

Your system partition may not be big enough to hold all the other apps. Delete Earth from it as it doesn't work, and magazines just takes you to the books part of the play store, but other than that it should work. Make a backup of your data and then tpt to increase your system partition size

Guest hugobosslives

Hugo, which install method did you use for Now?

Open build.prop

Edit ro.build.version.sdk = 16 & save.

Now go to /system/app & Rename GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk1

Now reboot & install the app from the download link.

Now edit build.prop & change ro.build.version.sdk = 15 & reboot.

sorry about the delay in replying. :D

@utternoob.

thanks for the fonts. was about to ask if it was a cwm flash but then realised I could just open it and look how you packaged it up. facepalm.

Edited by hugobosslives

Guest Josh92

Now Open build.prop

Edit ro.build.version.sdk = 16 & save.

Now go to /system/app & Rename GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk to GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk1

Now reboot & install the app from the download link.

Now edit build.prop & change ro.build.version.sdk = 15 & reboot.

sorry about the delay in replying. :D

@utternoob.

thanks for the fonts. was about to ask if it was a cwm flash but then realised I could just open it and look how you packaged it up. facepalm.

Ah I only did the renaming and moved the apk into system, maybe this way will improve it's stability. Thanks.

Guest hugobosslives

We could have Jellybean on here in a matter of days or even hours! There are some really talented devs on here.

ambitious much....

give it time. patience. it's ready when it's ready.....

Guest XMasterNinni

And compiling this isn't that easy...

We'll have to generate a new android_device_blade JB branch (not sure if we can just use the ICS device config?). I just tried it shortly and the main problem(s) was/were the armv6 stuff.