[DEV][ROM][8.1.] CyanogenMod 10 (Android 4.1.2)

Guest KonstaT

Guest sej7278

He said he commented things out in the makefiles. I think his old CM9 trimming patch is available in the ICS topic, that may be some help to you. I also found that the /fonts/DroidSans-Fallback.ttf file is over 5 megs, and it contains no useful data for a lot of people - after removal I only didn't see some chinese-lookalike characters, but I couldn't understand them anyway... :/

Are you aware that you can also safely remove the srec directory too?

thanks, that's given me some ideas, going to leave the fonts and srec for now. will edit when its built.

minimal_patches.zip

edit: getting rid of more wallpapers and dictionaries knocked off 20mb, now down to 165mb /system (plus gapps) so still about 20mb too big - something is still pulling in the ringtones from NewAudio.mk

Edited by sej7278

Guest Akash P

After a lot of trimming, ROM fits easily in a 138mb partition (including gapps) with 10mb to spare :)

post-909406-0-49713600-1346123843_thumb. post-909406-0-40125500-1346123852_thumb.

Edited by Akash P

Guest HDuser

After a lot of trimming, ROM fits easily in a 138mb partition (including gapps) with 10mb to spare :)

post-909406-0-49713600-1346123843_thumb. post-909406-0-40125500-1346123852_thumb.

and the size of your data partition is no more then 301 mb? LOL

Guest b3rvirus

and the size of your data partition is no more then 301 mb? LOL

and what's your problem with his data partition?

clearly he's using stock gen2 phone (dell xcd35) and there's nothing to be LOL'd

Guest sej7278

so what are you trimming?

i'm getting rid of some more dictionaries, PinyinIME and OpenWnn next as well as setting SMALLER_FONT_FOOTPRINT to true in the BoardConfig.mk, and using oldAudio.mk

i give up, i can't get below 148mb /system, which isn't enough to fit mini-gapps in 160mb, i still need to lose another 6mb

some apk's just seem to be compressed better in KonstaT's rom, for example my Settings.apk is 7.7mb, konstat's is 3.4mb, but if you unzip them both, the files inside expand to the same size.

Edited by sej7278

I guess its better to ditch s2e and go back to link2sd

my phone has become too sluggish after moving dalvik to ext

at least link2sd gives option to move particular apps

so what are you trimming?

i'm getting rid of some more dictionaries, PinyinIME and OpenWnn next as well as setting SMALLER_FONT_FOOTPRINT to true in the BoardConfig.mk, and using oldAudio.mk

i give up, i can't get below 148mb /system, which isn't enough to fit mini-gapps in 160mb, i still need to lose another 6mb

some apk's just seem to be compressed better in KonstaT's rom, for example my Settings.apk is 7.7mb, konstat's is 3.4mb, but if you unzip them both, the files inside expand to the same size.

Tried removing the excess fonts in the /fonts folder?

And also removing email.apk and exchange.apk?

Edited by ZTR

Guest sej7278

Tried removing the excess fonts in the /fonts folder?

And also removing email.apk and exchange.apk?

yes setting "SMALLER_FONT_FOOTPRINT := true" in BoardConfig.mk removes most of the extraneous fonts, the only large one left is DroidSansFallback.ttf (which i think the removed fonts are symlinked to to prevent errors i guess).

email.apk and exchange2.apk would save about 4mb, but that's going to cause functionality loss (not that i use either but....)

edit: zip -9 makes no difference, and i can't completely remove srec due to voicedialler dependencies.

Edited by sej7278

Guest MrIcka

Excellent work on this, works as a charm!!!

One thing I wounder, Youtube... shall it work in low quality like in CM9 or is it totally broken? I get sound but now video... maybe I removed to much when trimming?

Edited by MrIcka

Guest KonstaT

@konstat can you please provide the option to have the navigation buttons on status bar? Back button has gone hard on my phone and want to save it from dying

Android 4.x has navigation bar, there is no need for soft keys on the status bar. You can enable navigation bar from Settings -> System -> Show navigation bar. If you're looking for tablet style navigation/statusbar hybrid, you should try paranoid android.

konstat - are you actually going through each apk and trimming them manually or something - for example trebuchet is about 1/20th of the size in your rom as it seems to have a lot of the drawable resolutions removed.

I reverted this when it got merged, I want mine compressed. :P You should also have pngcrush or optipng installed in your build machine. This way the also images are compressed by the cm opticharger.

yes setting "SMALLER_FONT_FOOTPRINT := true" in BoardConfig.mk removes most of the extraneous fonts, the only large one left is DroidSansFallback.ttf (which i think the removed fonts are symlinked to to prevent errors i guess).

Settings SMALLER_FONT_FOOTPRINT actually only saves you about a mb. I think that DroidSansFallback.ttf is needed but there's some smaller versions floating around (700kb vs 5.4mb). It might remove support for some more exotic languages (chinese/japanese/arabic/etc) though.

One thing I wounder, Youtube... shall it work in low quality like in CM9 or is it totally broken? I get sound but now video... maybe I removed to much when trimming?

It's one of our hacks that breaks streaming video. I have it fixed locally (it's the part 1/2 of patch in the second post). Youtube causes a soft reboot after few seconds. I have an app from our national broadcasting company (YLE Areena) which streams in same format as youtube (320x240, mp4 h264, aac) and it works fine. I have no idea what's up with that. Local videos also work fine.

Guest sej7278

I reverted this when it got merged, I want mine compressed. :P You should also have pngcrush or optipng installed in your build machine. This way the also images are compressed by the cm opticharger.

Settings SMALLER_FONT_FOOTPRINT actually only saves you about a mb. I think that DroidSansFallback.ttf is needed but there's some smaller versions floating around (700kb vs 5.4mb). It might remove support for some more exotic languages (chinese/japanese/arabic/etc) though.

yes i had a browse of that today and installed optipng, i already had pngcrush installed.

i wonder if the resources.arsc compression is what's making the difference, as my apk's are bigger but the uncompressed size is the same, so it would seem to be a compresson ratio/method issue.

thanks.

edit: holy moly, reverting the resources.arsc did it - /system (not including gapps) is under 130mb now, i'd better start adding stuff back in now!

playing with sticking stuff back in, it seems SMALLER_FONT_FOOTPRINT saves me about 7mb

hmm, applied these patches and now i boot to a blank screen, and if i adb in, i can see /sdcard isn't mounted. any ideas? it could of course be that SteveK has been merging again ;)

patches.zip

Edited by sej7278

email.apk and exchange2.apk would save about 4mb, but that's going to cause functionality loss (not that i use either but....)

functionality loss?

we have gmail.apk for that dont we

Could you post the link please

or at least pinpoint where to find it

googled ..but couldnt find it

Guest KonstaT

hmm, applied these patches and now i boot to a blank screen, and if i adb in, i can see /sdcard isn't mounted. any ideas? it could of course be that SteveK has been merging again ;)

Yeah, there was some breakage again after sunday night. You need to revert couple of last commits from dalvik, that breaks for ARMv6. Also hwcomposer broke for our device, just remove /system/lib/hw/hwcomposer.msm7x27.so from your build.

Link is down - anyone got a copy they can upload please?

Uploaded it to another filehosting service.

https://hotfile.com/dl/169621182/0a80b83/gapps-jb-20120815-KonstaKANG.zip.html

Dafuq, mediafire removed for violation of the terms? Are they crazy?

Lol, and the best part is that it was requested by Microsoft Inc. :D

What we need for this ROM be ready for everyday use?

I wouldn't say that the "not ready for everyday use" description is fitting any more, as some have already commented. I'm using it quite happily but it depends on your needs.

Guest sej7278

Yeah, there was some breakage again after sunday night. You need to revert couple of last commits from dalvik, that breaks for ARMv6. Also hwcomposer broke for our device, just remove /system/lib/hw/hwcomposer.msm7x27.so from your build.

any idea what the specific commits were so we can get them fixed?

qcom merged, jb - looks like there's only 1 since sunday (stevek!)

dalvik merged, jb - could be any of 5