[DEV][ROM][8.1.] CyanogenMod 10 (Android 4.1.2)

Guest KonstaT

This has already been discussed on few previous pages. It became a topic when it was put to xda news (lol they have such a brilliant news team). I suggest that you (and everybody else) actually reads the original the xda thread. Yeah, the android's own renderer is redundant because it's not used if there is adreno available. Removing it doesn't do anything either. Some say it helps (good for them) - I say it's placebo from rebooting your device.

Can't be placebo, the yellowish flash wasnt there before. But I'm gonna do some benchmarks to see.

Edited by shezar

This has already been discussed on few previous pages. It became a topic when it was put to xda news (lol they have such a brilliant news team ;)). I suggest that you (and everybody else) actually reads the original the xda thread. Yeah, the android's own renderer is redundant because it's not used if there is adreno available. Removing it doesn't do anything either. Some say it helps (good for them) - I say it's placebo from rebooting your device. :P

Not placebo...

It surely helps a bit I guess

At least the antutu benchmarks says so..

Guest Rashed97

Konsta:

Today I was checking out Gerrit and I saw an interesting comment in Rashed's EGL-patch. It stated that "egl.conf can be configured to use new adreno libs removing line "0 0 android"" So I deleted that line, compiled the ROM and now it seems to be actually more fluent than with that line (with a bit of yellowish flashing at some rendering). Can you experiment with this and the egl patches a bit? I'm beginning to suspect those are not really needed any more but I have no time (and even skills) to do it myself.

Hey!

My EGL patch? You REALLY don't want to use that... Unless of course you want a trashed graphical system. It's made for GB EGL libs and it would be silly to use those when we have ICS ones now...

Just had to say that to prevent anyone from trying them....

But that Adreno hack by removing those lines, yeah it's nice...

Guest Fred Perry

Guys I'm almost throwing my phone against a wall. I'm having constant reboots every time I use the browser or tapatalk with 3g. I see some green lines on the screen and the phone boots. Do you know what can be causing this? Thanks.

Hey!

My EGL patch? You REALLY don't want to use that... Unless of course you want a trashed graphical system. It's made for GB EGL libs and it would be silly to use those when we have ICS ones now...

Just had to say that to prevent anyone from trying them....

But that Adreno hack by removing those lines, yeah it's nice...

LOL what, your EGL patch? :D It's arcee's and it's been uploaded to gerrit once or twice before you.

http://review.cyanog....com/#/c/18900/

http://review.cyanog....com/#/c/18901/

We've been using it for about two months and it's not going anywhere. It makes massive difference. No one (me included) would use a ROM compiled without it.

Removing Android renderer from egl.cfg makes no difference what so ever.

Auto-brightness doesn't work for me at all. Ambient light sensor works and button backlight lights up if you cover the sensor. Just the screen brightness doesn't change. It used to works in early builds (tested it 6-8 weeks ago) but I don't know exactly what broke it and when (I don't normally use auto-brightness).

Autobrightness works fine for me (build 15.9), it seems that it only works when the Light Sensor Filter is enabled though..

Two things that i've found that i don't think hva been mentioned before, maybe it's just me:

1. Keyboard settings crash when pressed (under Keyboard and Input Methods -> Default -> Set up input methods), tried installing the rom a few times, always happens.

2. When it's really quiet i hear a low buzzing sound going on and off coming from the speakers.

(And yeah, the partition size is big enough, and everything formated before install.)

Overall this rom is already a keeper for me though! :)

maybe this is the wrong thread, but is there any point in updating clockworkmod besides touch-functionality?

I still have v5.0.2.0 and as far as i'm concearned it's doing the job. I haven't found a changelog for the older versions..

Guest targetbsp

maybe this is the wrong thread, but is there any point in updating clockworkmod besides touch-functionality?

I still have v5.0.2.0 and as far as i'm concearned it's doing the job. I haven't found a changelog for the older versions..

A sort of diff based backup system leading to quicker repeat backups much less space used if you store more than 1 backup.

Guest Rashed97

LOL what, your EGL patch? It's arcee's and it's been uploaded to gerrit once or twice before you.

We've been using it for about two months and it's not going anywhere. It makes massive difference. No one (me included) would use a ROM compiled without it.

You know what I mean.. Not mine, but I'm listed as the gerrit owner

You do know that if you have the ICS Adreno libs you don't need this?

This was a work around for when they didn't have the ICS libs yet and we're using the GB ones

It works better without it... Trust me... I've been building for the LG Optimus One for months without it. Tried it because you had it and TheWhisp told me to try it

What really made a difference is the egl.conf hack... It made my ROM go from Froyo quality bullcrap animations (or in other words, none at all...) to JB greatness

Of course you already had triple buffering so that may have already fixed it for you.

Just my thoughts ;)

-Rashed

You know what I mean.. Not mine, but I'm listed as the gerrit owner

You do know that if you have the ICS Adreno libs you don't need this?

This was a work around for when they didn't have the ICS libs yet and we're using the GB ones

It works better without it... Trust me... I've been building for the LG Optimus One for months without it. Tried it because you had it and TheWhisp told me to try it

What really made a difference is the egl.conf hack... It made my ROM go from Froyo quality bullcrap animations (or in other words, none at all...) to JB greatness

Of course you already had triple buffering so that may have already fixed it for you.

Just my thoughts

-Rashed

Why on earth are you submitting patches to gerrit that you haven't verified/tested yourself? This wasn't even the first or second time for you. Everyone who is using it knows it will never get merged and why. You do know that you have to make a clean build ('make clobber' or remove out directory) if you change compile flags in BoardConfig.mk? Otherwise our changes have no effect. If you would have actually tested this, you wouldn't say silly things like ICS drivers work just fine in JB. You would notice a huge difference in UI speed instead. Those directives have nothing specific to do with gingerbread or ICS, they go way back and beyond that. Until Qualcomm releases jelly bean adreno drivers for ARMv6 (I wouldn't get my hopes up on that), this hack is very much needed.

Removing '0 0 android' from egl.cfg or removing libGLES_android.so makes absolutely no difference at all (oh well, it saves you ~80kb from system ;)). Software renderer is never loaded/used if there is a hardware renderer available. You know this is Android, we have source code for it. :) You don't have rely on your gut feeling or make guesses how things work. Have a look at frameworks/native/opengl/libs/EGL/Loader.cpp. Only one renderer is loaded at all times.

You can easily verify this by taking a logcat from booting. You'll see something like this in your logcat (from Loader.cpp line 293):

D/libEGL ( 134): loaded /system/lib/egl/libEGL_adreno200.so
D/libEGL ( 134): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_adreno200.so
D/libEGL ( 134): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv2_adreno200.so[/CODE] Android software renderer (libGLES_android.so) is never even loaded unless you disable harware renderer (e.g. remove '0 1 adreno200' from egl.cfg). Only in that case software renderer is used and you'll see something like this in logcat:
[CODE]D/libEGL ( 189): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLES_android.so

I hope this is enough for you (and other placebo lovers :P) to have this case closed once and for all.

Guest reedo_17

Hi just flashed the rom so far seems good but i just tried google now and as soon as i click the microphone button it makes a noise and says 'didnt catch that. try speaking again' what should i do?

Guest Rashed97

Why on earth are you submitting patches to gerrit that you haven't verified/tested yourself? This wasn't even the first or second time for you. Everyone who is using it knows it will never get merged and why. You do know that you have to make a clean build ('make clobber' or remove out directory) if you change compile flags in BoardConfig.mk? Otherwise our changes have no effect. If you would have actually tested this, you wouldn't say silly things like ICS drivers work just fine in JB. You would notice a huge difference in UI speed instead. Those directives have nothing specific to do with gingerbread or ICS, they go way back and beyond that. Until Qualcomm releases jelly bean adreno drivers for ARMv6 (I wouldn't get my hopes up on that), this hack is very much needed.

Removing '0 0 android' from egl.cfg or removing libGLES_android.so makes absolutely no difference at all (oh well, it saves you ~80kb from system ). Software renderer is never loaded/used if there is a hardware renderer available. You know this is Android, we have source code for it. You don't have rely on your gut feeling or make guesses how things work. Have a look at frameworks/native/opengl/libs/EGL/Loader.cpp. Only one renderer is loaded at all times.

You can easily verify this by taking a logcat from booting. You'll see something like this in your logcat (from Loader.cpp line 293):

D/libEGL  (  134): loaded /system/lib/egl/libEGL_adreno200.so

D/libEGL  (  134): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_adreno200.so

D/libEGL  (  134): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv2_adreno200.so
Android software renderer (libGLES_android.so) is never even loaded unless you disable harware renderer (e.g. remove '0 1 adreno200' from egl.cfg). Only in that case software renderer is used and you'll see something like this in logcat:
D/libEGL  (  189): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLES_android.so[/code]

I hope this is enough for you (and other placebo lovers ) to have this case closed once and for all.

I did test this. Sadly my triple buffering won't boot without it....

And it made a HUGE difference on my ROM. Went from super laggy to super buttery

Guest neoonwheels

Moved to this ROM since the CM9 Konsta build was unbale to run Naviation. I hope this ROM would work for Navigation. Also, somehow I am feeling that the battery life of this ROM is better than CM9 konsta build. Lets see how it goes.

Guest TheWhisp

LOL what, your EGL patch? It's arcee's and it's been uploaded to gerrit once or twice before you.

Hmm... that's true. But ICS is still faster than JB.

By the way, about what directive is Steve talking about:

Ohh, QC released the ICS drivers for ARMv6? That makes this entire conversation and patchset totally pointless. The ICS drivers will work almost perfectly on JB, with a small directive that's been there since like day 3 that doesn't break CTS.

?

Hi just flashed the rom so far seems good but i just tried google now and as soon as i click the microphone button it makes a noise and says 'didnt catch that. try speaking again' what should i do?

You need to use the separate voice search app that you'll find in your app drawer. Clicking microphone icon in google now or in search widget will launch the wrong voice search.

Hmm... that's true. But ICS is still faster than JB.

By the way, about what directive is Steve talking about:

?

There's still a small lag when using notification pulldown. Otherwise I'd say we are pretty much in par with ICS in UI speed.

I think Steve meant this. There's no other changes to directives that I know of.

https://github.com/C...6de7f8fa42f1c45

Guest rapidone

Hi Konstat, I know it's only a small request and for sure at the end of your to do list, but could you please do an optimisation on the default google search language settings.

It's hl=en hardcoded. And it would be great to have it in the locale language. For me it's de... ;) Thanks a lot!

Guest andy9876

I've installed this rom and S2E but although S2E appears to be working to some extent I now have an issue. The Freespace app shows that there is 45% free in EXT of 209MB but Data only has 14% free of 39 MB. When i try to install new apps from the market it trys to install them in Data and not EXT telling me I have run out of space. Can anyone help???

Guest targetbsp

There's a whole bunch of Ext partition scripts here and instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1716124

It's pretty much a case of flash from recovery, wipe data and set the phone up again by the looks of it

I didn't actually do it that way, I copied the script into the etc/Init.d folder of the rom zip before i flashed it

Guest commander_keen

It's a small miracle that we have at least some level of voice search working. It requires an external app and using the widget button will launch a wrong voice search. Full voice search/voice typing/etc in ICS/JB requires ARMv7 libs so it will never happen. Workaround is to use the external app.

Will investigate OS commands via a third party app then later maybe, running your CM9 atm.

CIFS is not baked into the kernel, it comes as a separate module. You might have manually load it with 'insmod' first ('su' and 'insmod /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko' in terminal).

Unfortunately this didn't fix it. Thought I'd get a logcat output after executing those commands, but this didn't tell anything useful to me either, attached it anyway just in case. (Samba runs fine on your CM9 btw)

Android should give you an option which camera app to use when you select camera from the lockscreen.

I cannot confirm that I was or am able to choose, strange. But thanks for the info.

logcat.txt

Edited by commander_keen

Guest andy9876

There's a whole bunch of Ext partition scripts here and instructions: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1716124

It's pretty much a case of flash from recovery, wipe data and set the phone up again by the looks of it

I didn't actually do it that way, I copied the script into the etc/Init.d folder of the rom zip before i flashed it

I have tried to install the int2ext+ sip and though it confirms it has install ext is not visible. Any help on how I can get this working greatly appreciated. Should I be using a different script?