ICS is Sh*T

Guest putbinoot

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

I'm interested to know why ICS seems fast for some people and slow(er than GB) for others. There must be some kind of difference in ROMs or settings or tweaks some people have made...

Me too. And what is this supercharger thing that jikobutsu refers to? Is it that alone that makes ICS smoother?

Guest rsrocha

I'm interested to know why ICS seems fast for some people and slow(er than GB) for others. There must be some kind of difference in ROMs or settings or tweaks some people have made...

Thats why i always follow things the way they should be done. When b888 was out i applied the update as the instructions said. Never rooted or modded and everything was smooth. B894 was even better. Some users applied these roms without the vendor update and had problems.

Now with b927 we are still seeing the same mixed results because not everyone applies the update the same way.

I have my G300 since friday and yesterday i updated from vanilla gingerbread (the first one with the volume bug) to ics 927. I don´t miss anything! To me the phone became much more functional.

First post by the way. Thanks to all of You!!!

Guest Andymac1969

I have now run the supercharger scripts on B927, whether its just in my head or not, I don't know, but menu changes do seem to be quicker, scrolling seems to be a lot smoother, but it could all be in my dozy head :blink:

Guest Pondlife
Using my osd feels like a downgrade now, and that is nothing to do with it being locked down. Obviously the osd is a much better experience performance wise etc, but I really do prefer to use the g300 with ics on it lol.

Well that is exactly because it is locked down then, if you could flash an ICS rom on it too it would likely be the go to toy again?

Well that is exactly because it is locked down then, if you could flash an ICS rom on it too it would likely be the go to toy again?

Yeah thinking of it like that I would probably throw my g300 in some dark dusty draw :lol:

Guest Maximus9

Exactly windows 95 good/ 98 s***/ 2000 s***/ XP good/ Vista s***/ windows 7 good. But without using these it would be quite difficult to see the progress made. So take a look at android. I am old enough to remember donut and cup cake android OS. Even in modern terms eclair wasn't as good as froyo which isn't as good as Ginger bread( my favorite so far) but ICS is still quite early days with jelly bean around the corner . So to me it's a case of move with the time and let's see what's to come. The Development here will only go forward not back. And when the devs here finish development with ICS. I am sure you will see the benefits.

Actually, that doesn't make a lot of sense, first of all Vista became a perfectly good OS after SP2.

Also, the comparation is not very good, since you say GB is the best so far. So we are talking about updating from GB, the best so far, not from Vista, which was indeed sh**t before the SP2.

Someone talks about security improvements... how much do you or most users think about security issues?

I am just concerned about speed... and looking on this forum everyday, I see lots of people saying ICS is slower, and reverting back to B888 usually. G300 also have just 512 MB RAM, which might become a problem with ICS. It might look better, but there are themes and ways to get the ICS look on GB.

Also, I still run XP on one laptop and still cannot fault that operating system in any way.

But this seems to get personal for some people defending their choice a bit too much. Let's keep it friendly.

Guest rosco-85

Vista is shockingly bad and was a blip for MS between XP and 7, where as Android OS is actually better with every release. I've gone 1.6 > 2.1 > 2.3 > 4.0 and I'd say every version is an improvement on it's predecessor.

Edited by rosco-85

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Yep; I still run XP on my home computer. I see no compelling reason to spend money to 'upgrade'. It runs smoothly and seems to do everything I want it to.

Guest chico2069

The more i read about this the more i get convinced that the people that have come here (and other places) to complain of problems with their ICS either screwed up the installation or followed the instructions incorrectly or have just plain old bad luck.

Like i've said on other occasions, i have the ICS 927 on my g300, it runs very smooth (don't feel the need for a supercharger... yet :)) and easy, have had no problems whatsoever (running facebook, youtube, etc. etc perfectly), batery's even lasting nearly 2 days with active use, etc.

The only thing i can't say that its working is the MMS but only because i dont use MMS and, so, haven't tried them.

The only thing i can say that it's bad on the ICS is the drop in video recording resolution but that, as i've also seen on other posts, can be fixed with, for example, the LG camcorder app.

Other then this, ICS is more fluid, MUCH more good looking, practical, etc then Gingerbread.

IMO, ICS is to Gingerbread like windows 7 is to XP :) Both are good but the newest is more attractive, functional, etc. :)

But, then again, my use of the phone is a tad basic :) but im happy :)

Edited by chico2069

Guest dragpyre

Yep; I still run XP on my home computer. I see no compelling reason to spend money to 'upgrade'. It runs smoothly and seems to do everything I want it to.

Direct X11, proper support rather than "extended support", Aero (in Vista and 7), devs are starting to not produce drivers and software for XP, business is moving towards 7, 7 is the best and fastest selling OS in history. I could go on but there is no need.

The more i read about this the more i get convinced that the people that have come here (and other places) to complain of problems with their ICS either screwed up the installation or followed the instructions incorrectly or have just plain old bad luck.

Like i've said on other occasions, i have the ICS 927 on my g300, it runs very smooth (don't feel the need for a supercharger... yet :)) and easy, have had no problems whatsoever (running facebook, youtube, etc. etc perfectly), batery's even lasting nearly 2 days with active use, etc.

The only thing i can't say that its working is the MMS but only because i dont use MMS and, so, haven't tried them.

The only thing i can say that it's bad on the ICS is the drop in video recording resolution but that, as i've also seen on other posts, can be fixed with, for example, the LG camcorder app.

Other then this, ICS is more fluid, MUCH more good looking, practical, etc then Gingerbread.

IMO, ICS is to Gingerbread like windows 7 is to XP :) Both are good but the newest is more attractive, functional, etc. :)

But, then again, my use of the phone is a tad basic :) but im happy :)

I like your comparison(s).

My ICS is fine, and I never record video :L I take pictures though, and the new Camera app is a lot more functional.

I upgraded using the middle package and the .app method rather than flashing a CWM .zip or hacking around it. I never installed the Chinese ROM, because I've been away from the forums for a while, and came back and saw that B927 was out and European. I took a chance with B888, I took a chance with B927, and both times its worked out in my favour. I completely agree, either people aren't doing it right, skipping steps, or have a damaged file/PC/Mac/phone.

I haven't unlocked my bootloader, but I do have root, and that's all I care about, having root and blocking ads :3

Guest chico2069

Exactly, dragpyre...

I went to 926 with no problems, had 926 for a couple of days with 0 problems...

Then 927 came, i waited a couple of days to see how it was, was it buggy? and what ppl would say and the result of their experience with it.

Once i was happy, i simply used fastboot's method (thanks to Hpez for that), it was easy as 1 2 3.. flash the new 927, factory reset, wipe cache (+ dalvik) and done :)

927 working fine with 0 problems :)

Like i said....... ME HAPPY :)

chick, can you confirm your kernel version now and whether it updated with the fastboot method

The kernel does update using the fastboot file I posted. The kernel version is shown below:

post-923750-0-20084300-1342720849_thumb.

Guest chico2069

@davidoff59

when u mean, chick, i think you mean me (chico), right?? :)

Anyway, my kernel version is:

3.0.8-perf-00213.g8dfa62b

android@localhost #1

If it changed with the fastboot method, i dont know :) i dont know the kernel of my old ROM i had :)

If it changed with the fastboot method, i dont know :)

Yeah it did, the kernel is contained in the boot.img and the fastboot files I posted updated both boot and system images.

Guest unaszplodrmann

So without openGL, would openGL test apps not work?

OpenGL is present on all Android builds. When hardware acceleration isn't available, the software OpenGL stack is used instead.