[DEV] [JB] [CM10] [4.1.1] CyanogenMod 10 for the Huawei Ascend G300 [ROM] [Last updated: 26/08]

Guest Dazzozo

Guest Dazzozo

Oh yeah haha my mistake... For some reason I was thinking the kernel source was the kernel itself....

The kernel when compiled is rarely a size concern anyway. A stock one is about 4mb and it has its own little space in memory, separate from the system partition.

A stock one is 4mb, the CM ones are 2mb because of the xz compression which we use. (Which might be a bit overkill but... :P)

Guest timfimjim

Yeah I'm just wondering whether you'd see any positive change to performance / battery life if you tried to strip the kernel of all unnecessary 'weight'.

Guest Dazzozo

Yeah I'm just wondering whether you'd see any positive change to performance / battery life if you tried to strip the kernel of all unnecessary 'weight'.

The xz compression actually makes the very start of a boot up slower. It has to unpack the kernel, and it obviously being compressed better results in longer decompression time.

We're talking maybe an extra second or two, at the very start of boot up here. It doesn't have an effect anywhere else.

As for actually changing the code to make it more efficient, well that's part of the reason why Linux kernel 3.6 exists -- this stuff is constantly happening. Android is always a bit behind. Huawei's code, yes, there's bits and pieces which are a little odd that we could change. There's a million and one things we can do with the kernel source, passing it through the linaro toolchain instead, etc.

Guest Dazzozo

There's no source available for it, so not really :P

I hadn't seen this issue for ages on CM10 and I haven't seen it at all since switching to the U8860 kernel.

Guest Frankish

Just waiting for all the "I can haz rls naow?" posts. For anyone wondering new developments in kernel will probably need testing for a little while too now! Just be patient.

Guest ChrisPNE

And no one didn't reply to me,why i can't listen music with handset?????!!!!!

The build in the OP is very outdated now. I believe the audio routing doesn't work properly in that version.

Dazzozo is testing a build at the moment in which everything works so just be patient and use a different ROM as your daily for now. :)

i didnt understand what you wrote in the last 30 posts Dazzozo

could someone please explain it to me in understandable english?? (sorry i cant speak english very well)

Guest Umrtvovacz

No one replied to you because no one wants to waste time with you, when you are not willing to even read the first god damn post. The helpfulness of people on this forum has it's limits. Notice how I am not answering your question either.

The build in the OP is very outdated now. I believe the audio routing doesn't work properly in that version.

Dazzozo is testing a build at the moment in which everything works so just be patient and use a different ROM as your daily for now.

Why to even bother with those people...

Edited by Umrtvovacz

Guest ScutulatusCrotalus

Because you are using ROM released more than a month ago that has an issue - "audio routing is a bit off".

//ohh, I hate my delayed answers. It has been answered already.

Edited by ScutulatusCrotalus