[MOD] [SCRIPT] Multiboot via loop file [19/12]

Guest Snap.IT

Guest vitallativ

I just tried it by curiosity, and for me it fails when it tries to create the system loop file.

'let: arith: invalid syntax: "size=190*1024"'

Obviously 190 is the size for the new /system.

Similarly. Firmware - CM 7.2 Stable.

What size do you want your system image to be (in MB's)?

let: arith: syntax error: "size=250*1024"

no value specified for count

losetup: /dev/block/loop1: No such file or directory

mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)

mke2fs: device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition specified, or partition table wasn'n reread after running fdisk, due to a modified partition being busy and in use. You may need to reboot to re-read your partition table.

losetup: /dev/block/loop1: No such device or address

Edited by vitallativ

Guest ..Abel..

it kept giving me permission errors then i tried sh makelooprom-android instead of sh makelooprom-startup .... it then worked asking me bout sys and data image etc reached the end(with rom in directory) ,asked me about JB rom typed yes then ERROR .. saying something bout installer script!any idea ??

Guest Snap.IT

it kept giving me permission errors then i tried sh makelooprom-android instead of sh makelooprom-startup .... it then worked asking me bout sys and data image etc reached the end(with rom in directory) ,asked me about JB rom typed yes then ERROR .. saying something bout installer script!any idea ??

Did you download and are running the latest version (MakeLoopROM-Android-V5.tar)?

If sh makelooprom-startup gives you permission errors then sh makelooprom-android will NEVER work, the makelooprom-startup script is what let's you have exec permissions both to run makelooprom-android and everything that is called from within the makelooprom-android script, such as busybox (without it you can't even unzip the file), split-img.pl, makebootfs, makebootimg and zip among other things.

Same thing with makeloopgapps-startup and makeloopgapps.

You got the message that it couldn't edit your updater script because it doesn't even have permission to unzip the file so it couldn't find it, there were plenty of errors before that text showed up though.

If you are running the latest version then this is yet another ROM where something is different, so which ROM are you running the script on?

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest Snap.IT

Similarly. Firmware - CM 7.2 Stable.

What size do you want your system image to be (in MB's)?

let: arith: syntax error: "size=250*1024"

no value specified for count

losetup: /dev/block/loop1: No such file or directory

mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)

mke2fs: device size reported to be zero. Invalid partition specified, or partition table wasn'n reread after running fdisk, due to a modified partition being busy and in use. You may need to reboot to re-read your partition table.

losetup: /dev/block/loop1: No such device or address

I'll post a version where the let part is removed, you'll have to give the size in kilobytes though.

or rather, could you test this for me?

1. open terminal session

2. sys_size=50

3. let size=$sys_size\*40

4. echo $size

Do you get any errors on that? If not, what is the output of echo $size?

If you get errors could you try:

1. open terminal session

2. sys_size=50

3. let size="$sys_size"*40

4. echo $size

And see if that works.

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest ..Abel..

Which rom are you trying to convert and are you running sh makelooprom-startup as superuser? Which rom are you running the script on?

ya i think ! konstakang 29/08 !! btw im sorry i didnt se V5 ill try that and check !! my apologies ! BTw i wanted to know after everything is done what do u mean by install loop rom and packages thru cwm ?

Edited by ..Abel..

Guest ..Abel..

Did you download and are running the latest version (MakeLoopROM-Android-V5.tar)?

If sh makelooprom-startup gives you permission errors then sh makelooprom-android will NEVER work, the makelooprom-startup script is what let's you have exec permissions both to run makelooprom-android and everything that is called from within the makelooprom-android script, such as busybox (without it you can't even unzip the file), split-img.pl, makebootfs, makebootimg and zip among other things.

Same thing with makeloopgapps-startup and makeloopgapps.

You got the message that it couldn't edit your updater script because it doesn't even have permission to unzip the file so it couldn't find it, there were plenty of errors before that text showed up though.

If you are running the latest version then this is yet another ROM where something is different, so which ROM are you running the script on?

OH .... this is konstakang 29/08 and i just tried v5 it seems to work :) only it couldntpack up the rom as there wasnt enough space ! so im gonna try again! how much space approx. do we need ? and what do u mean by install loop rom and packages thru cwm ?

Guest Snap.IT

ya i think ! konstakang 29/08 !! btw im sorry i didnt se V5 ill try that and check !! my apologies ! BTw i wanted to know after everything is done what do u mean by install loop rom and packages thru cwm ?

When you have used sh makelooprom-startup on the rom and sh makeloopgapps-startup on the gapps package and whatever other packages you want to use it to convert you will find all of those packages in /sdcard/multiboot/loop-roms/[whateveryoucalledyoursystemimage]/.

So after you're done converting you reboot to cwm recovery and install those packages just like you would for any rom.

Please read the entire OP, there are more changes than just the version change, you can now choose to have the script make a copy of your current boot.img so you can boot back into your nand(internal) rom.

Edited by Snap.IT

Guest Snap.IT

OH .... this is konstakang 29/08 and i just tried v5 it seems to work :) only it couldntpack up the rom as there wasnt enough space ! so im gonna try again! how much space approx. do we need ? and what do u mean by install loop rom and packages thru cwm ?

All in all, size of the system image + size of the data image + size of the rom x2 + 120mb or so for the whole thing.

So it really depends on how big you make your data and system loop files, they reside on the sdcard until you remove them.

A couple of gigs would probably be a good measure.

Guest gunapriyan

Snap, I shall be happy if you could tell the procedure to install Gapps.....Thanks in advance.

This is the output from the script after running sh makelooprom-startup.

This is the procedure i use to upgrade the previous ROM which i gave the example for in my earlier post.

Rather than create new loop files i choose to reuse the ones i made previously, i also don't want to format the data loop file since this is an upgrade and since i am running a loop rom i don't want to pull the boot.img from the currently running rom.

Since i am using the same partition i don't have to remake the gapps and GEN3 files i made in the earlier post, they already have the correct loop file in their updater-script so i can reuse them and they are still in my /sdcard/multiboot/loop-roms/cm-10-konstat-system directory.

Guest Snap.IT

thanks a lot ! :) i do have space problems :P

I'm looking into using sparse files that will grow as you fill them rather than be of a set size. That will surely break things on some roms and work on other roms though, so after that release the fun of figuring out the problems will start all over again. :D

Guest Snap.IT

Snap, I shall be happy if you could tell the procedure to install Gapps.....Thanks in advance.

Read the OP and follow my examples but remember that they are my PERSONAL examples, you'll need to replace the values with the values for your ROM.

The first example in this post covers a fresh installation of cm-10-20120829-KonstaKANG-blade with CM9-KonstaKANG-GEN3 and gapps-jb-20120815-KonstaKANG and the second example in this post covers how to upgrade cm-10-20120829-KonstaKANG-blade to cm-10-20120901-KonstaKANG-blade using the same system and data loop files i created when i installed cm-10-20120829-KonstaKANG-blade and since i'm using the previous loop files i don't have to run makegapps-startup again.

If you're doing a fresh install, you cannot use the second example since there will be no loop file created for it to install into, everything will seem fine until you try to install it though, i should probably put in a failsafe there so that if the file doesn't exist it won't let you use it.

Guest Snap.IT

Snap, I did all things successfully. But my phone hanging on Android Logo....Not boot....What can i do now?

You followed my second example for a fresh install, didn't you?

Just reboot into recovery, go to backup and restore, choose advanced restore and then boot, go back and reboot, there's nothing else you can do at this point.

You need to be sure that the system image name and data image name are actual file names that exist in /sdcard/multiboot or it will not work. If you created the files with the script you have to make sure you are using the exact same name you gave them, if you didn't create them with the script you HAVE TO give them the names of existing loop files in the /sdcard/multiboot directory.

You can't boot what doesn't exist.

Guest ..Abel..

kinda of the same thing stuck on the android logo after installing loop rom and loop gapps ! what do i do ?

EDIT: It boots,just pulled out the battery and restarted it again ! thanks for ur help and ur patience !! :)

Edited by ..Abel..

Guest gunapriyan

Snap, I did all the things correct. What you mention that 2 images are also in multiboot folder. But after install through CWM, system hang in Android Logo. Now i had re-install my actual ROM (Konsta 1/9). ...................?

One thing...while process....system shows no space for extras.....I can remember it.....Is there any chance for my problem?

Edited by gunapriyan

Guest vitallativ

1. open terminal session

2. sys_size=50

3. let size=$sys_size\*40

4. echo $size

# sys_size=50

# let size=$sys_size\*40

# let: arith: syntax error: "size=50*40"

# echo $size

#

1. open terminal session 2. sys_size=50 3. let size="$sys_size"*40 4. echo $size

# sys_size=50

# let size="$sys_size"*40

# let: arith: syntax error: "size=*40"

# echo $size

#

If you do this with makelooprom-android

let size=256000

, the terminal

# let: arith: syntax error: "size=256000"

Perhaps the problem with the team "let"?

Thanks for your work!

Edited by vitallativ

Guest Sulthekk

let size=256000

, the terminal

# let: arith: syntax error: "size=256000"

Perhaps the problem with the team "let"?

Thanks for your work!

Just use 'size=' instead of 'let size='

Please also note that the multiplier isn't 1000 but 1024.

I have been playing around with let in Terminal Emulator. The problem isn't reproducing itself that way. :o

localhost / # var1=5

localhost / # let var2=$var1*5

localhost / # echo $var2

localhost / # sys=50

localhost / # let size=$sys*40

localhost / # echo $size

localhost / # let size=$sys\*40

localhost / # echo $size

localhost / #

Edited by Sulthekk

Guest gunapriyan

While process Gapps,

"What is the name of the system image you'll be using for this ROM? If you made a system image before for this ROM then use that name ()"

1. Already i had created ROM's system and data image

2. Now i want to create Gapps image......Whether can i use like "gapps-burstlam-system & gapps-burstlam-data" or ()?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Sulthekk

While process Gapps,

"What is the name of the system image you'll be using for this ROM? If you made a system image before for this ROM then use that name ()"

2. Now i want to create Gapps image......Whether can i use like "gapps-burstlam-system & gapps-burstlam-data" or ()?

Thanks in advance.

Type in the same image name you have typed when it asked for the system image. The gapps are installed in /system.

Guest vitallativ
Just use 'size=' instead of 'let size='

Does not help. Without this command, the arithmetic no is performed.

Edited by vitallativ

Guest Snap.IT

While process Gapps,

Thanks in advance.

You use whatever you used when making your ROM, this doesn't create anything it's just neccessary so that the gapps package knows where to install to.

Use the same names as you did for the ROM, for example, if you used cm-9-burstlam-system and cm-9-burstlam-data when you entered the system and data image in the maklooprom-startup you use the same when you run makeloopgapps-startup.

The names are entirely unimportant, they just have to be the exact same in all instances.

I'm making a failsafe for this in the script as we speak so that it won't allow you to move on without entering the correct name.

Guest Sulthekk

Does not help. Without this command, the arithmetic no is performed.

Calculate the value manually instead, and insert it directly into the script. That worked for me.

For example, to use a 256mb loop file, enter 'size=262144' (256*1024).

I'm still getting stuck on boot after installing from cwm. so what I'm I doing wrong, these are my files in the multi boot folder,

1.lewa system-184mb

2.lewa boot-2.65 mb

3.bootnand.sh

4.bootlewa.sh

5.lewa rom loopinstall 82mb(inside looprom folder)

Note I'm using Linux. Kindly advice.