[MOD] [SCRIPT] Multiboot via loop file [19/12]

Guest Snap.IT

Guest Snap.IT

thanks a lot man. so in the new script i can now copy two roms with your multiboot with my current free space in sdcard. will wait for the latest script. thanks

Script is up on page 1.

You can have one ROM on your NAND and one ROM on your sdcard as a loop install with your free space provided that you don't use more than 200MB for system and data each with the new script so two ROMs all together, not two loop ROMs on the sdcard.

For example, if you're running KonstaT's JB you can make and install a loop rom on your sdcard. Because of your space limitations you can not do this more than once if you don't cleanup and remove the previous loop files before you make another install. You can use the included cleanup script to remove old or defunct loop-roms.

Guest raizor6th

Script is up on page 1.

You can have one ROM on your NAND and one ROM on your sdcard as a loop install with your free space provided that you don't use more than 200MB for system and data each with the new script so two ROMs all together, not two loop ROMs on the sdcard.

For example, if you're running KonstaT's JB you can make and install a loop rom on your sdcard. Because of your space limitations you can not do this more than once if you don't cleanup and remove the previous loop files before you make another install. You can use the included cleanup script to remove old or defunct loop-roms.

i think you can suggest me the size of system and data if ever your script ask me for the loop file to be created. hence, i have 566mb left in my sdcard. and how may i switch in between roms using your multibootloop?

thanks.

Well wiping is completely unnecessary, you wouldn't remove your OS if you are burning a live cd, would you? Whatever changed had nothing what so ever to do with the wiping, a loop install doesn't care about your nand storage content, it doesn't try to access it and it doesn't change it (apart from the boot.img which is a necessary change for it to boot to the loop install but that happens with all rom installations and is independent on any wipe).

Now, when you get "device not found" it's because one of the loop files created during the scripts conversion is missing, in my new version (which is done but i've changed A LOT so i will have to completely rewrite the instructions before i post it) there is only one smaller loop file used during conversion so if you have at least one free loop device it will run (if you don't something is horribly wrong).

Regarding the problem with the flashing of boot.img when you are switching between roms, for some reason flash_img isn't working properly and it seems to be completely random, i thought i had solved it by running erase_image beforehand but that didn't work at all so in the new script i'll be using dd to "flash" the boot.img, that seems to work better but i need feedback on that.

Snap.IT,

I've tried the new version of your Android script (MakeLoopROM-Android-V8.tar). Unfortunatelly, the result is similar as before. Although I didn't notice any errors running the script, after installing the resulting zip package the phone does not boot.

But I see that the boot scripts are still using 'flash_img' command and not 'dd' (e.g.: flash_image boot /sdcard/multiboot/boot.img).

Guest Snap.IT

Snap.IT,

I've tried the new version of your Android script (MakeLoopROM-Android-V8.tar). Unfortunatelly, the result is similar as before. Although I didn't notice any errors running the script, after installing the resulting zip package the phone does not boot.

But I see that the boot scripts are still using 'flash_img' command and not 'dd' (e.g.: flash_image boot /sdcard/multiboot/boot.img).

That doesn't matter when installing the ROM. I need the updater script and boot.img from your converted ROM to find out what is wrong.

It is possible to run the script, give it the wrong parameters and end up with a non booting installation.

What cwm are you using, which gen do you have? Are your loop files in /sdcard/multiboot? Is the system loop file big enough to fit the rom?

Guest Snap.IT
i think you can suggest me the size of system and data if ever your script ask me for the loop file to be created. hence, i have 566mb left in my sdcard. and how may i switch in between roms using your multibootloop?

thanks.

200 for each should be enough for basic function.

To switch roms run the boot script for the rom you want to boot into from a root teminal session.

That doesn't matter when installing the ROM. I need the updater script and boot.img from your converted ROM to find out what is wrong.

It is possible to run the script, give it the wrong parameters and end up with a non booting installation.

What cwm are you using, which gen do you have? Are your loop files in /sdcard/multiboot? Is the system loop file big enough to fit the rom?

Snap.IT,

I can't find any 'updater' script in neither MakeLoopROM nor mulitiboot folders on my phone... The multiboot folder contains these files:

[loop-roms], boot.img, bootnand.sh, ss7data, ss7sys, Swedish-Snow-RLS7boot.img, and there is a zip file in loop-roms:ss7sys subfolder.

I'm using your latest cwm (touch). My phone was sold as Gen1 but it was converted to Gen2. KonstaT's nandROMs (SS RLS, ICS, JB) run on it without problems. The system file for the loop ROM was 200 MB, data file 250 MB (SS RLS7 requires 138 MB for /system). There is still about 4 GB left on the SD card.

My boot.img files are here:

https://docs.google....YXFXU1JyMTZnTW8

https://docs.google....cXlUeDlNbnFVWjg

Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

Snap.IT,

I can't find any 'updater' script in neither MakeLoopROM nor mulitiboot folders on my phone... The multiboot folder contains these files:

[loop-roms], boot.img, bootnand.sh, ss7data, ss7sys, Swedish-Snow-RLS7boot.img, and there is a zip file in loop-roms:ss7sys subfolder.

I'm using your latest cwm (touch). My phone was sold as Gen1 but it was converted to Gen2. KonstaT's nandROMs (SS RLS, ICS, JB) run on it without problems. The system file for the loop ROM was 200 MB, data file 250 MB (SS RLS7 requires 138 MB for /system). There is still about 4 GB left on the SD card.

My boot.img files are here:

https://docs.google....YXFXU1JyMTZnTW8

https://docs.google....cXlUeDlNbnFVWjg

The updater-script is in your loop rom, if you have the opportunity uploading the entire ROM would be the best thing since it includes everything i might need to locate the error.

SS RLS7 is confirmed to work with this script as long as you don't try to use any of the kernel packages, if you do then it will try to boot your NAND, the kernel packages are NOT convertable via mkgapps either (i might include a mkkernel with the next release solely for converting kernel packages). All other packages for SSRLS7 are convertable though, like stock dialer, battery mod etc.

I had to request access to see your links.

Guest Snap.IT

Will Running this script and increasing the data and the system size for the 2nd Rom( Cm9 )help the Chinese/Idea blade's for running Cm9 smoothly ????

Thanks

No, the data and system partition sizes are limitations on how much data you can store on your phone, RAM size is the limitation on how much data you can load into memory. Everything that is currently running must be loaded into memory so the only way to get more free memory is to remove items loaded into memory.

This CAN be done but it will remove functionality and it's not an easy process without breaking the whole thing.

My recommendation is to use zRAM with the max setting and a swap file (Linux will only use swap for changed data, unchanged data (like apps and any data you haven't changed that is loaded into memory, unless you're editing large spreadsheets or documents in multiple instances swap will remain mostly unused) are swapped right back to where it was read from in the first place but having a swap file WILL NOT AFFECT PERFORMANCE NEGATIVELY IN ANY INSTANCE so you might as well have one).

Thanxx Buddy for such a nice explanation . :rolleyes:

So, What do you think how much big swap file should i create for using cm9 on my Idea blade ?

1gb (via swap it expander app) will do ? Or more !

Guest Snap.IT

Thanxx Buddy for such a nice explanation . :rolleyes:

So, What do you think how much big swap file should i create for using cm9 on my Idea blade ?

1gb (via swap it expander app) will do ? Or more !

As i said, it won't be used much (if it will be used at all) but if you do have a lot of space on your sdcard make it 100MB, anything beyond 50MB is wasted space.

The updater-script is in your loop rom, if you have the opportunity uploading the entire ROM would be the best thing since it includes everything i might need to locate the error.

SS RLS7 is confirmed to work with this script as long as you don't try to use any of the kernel packages, if you do then it will try to boot your NAND, the kernel packages are NOT convertable via mkgapps either (i might include a mkkernel with the next release solely for converting kernel packages). All other packages for SSRLS7 are convertable though, like stock dialer, battery mod etc.

I had to request access to see your links.

Here is my loopROM zip file copied from the phone's multiboot folder:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-kYiKqh7bvUY3VhdzRfWkFKMlE

Sorry, previously I didn't choose a right sharing option...

I'm using KonstaT's Swedish-Snow-RLS7.zip ROM without any additional modifications. I just want to be able to switch between my current ROM (KonstaT's CM10 JB) and SS RLS7 to use camcorder, FM Radio and HD video when I need them (unfortunately, they don't work in JB yet). SS RLS7 seems most suitable for this because it is compact, fast and stable.

Thanks for you patience and help, Snap.IT. :-)

Guest Snap.IT

Here is my loopROM zip file copied from the phone's multiboot folder:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-kYiKqh7bvUY3VhdzRfWkFKMlE

Sorry, previously I didn't choose a right sharing option...

I'm using KonstaT's Swedish-Snow-RLS7.zip ROM without any additional modifications. I just want to be able to switch between my current ROM (KonstaT's CM10 JB) and SS RLS7 to use camcorder, FM Radio and HD video when I need them (unfortunately, they don't work in JB yet). SS RLS7 seems most suitable for this because it is compact, fast and stable.

Thanks for you patience and help, Snap.IT. :-)

It works just fine for me, i created the two loop files, ss7sys and ss7data and installed the Swedish-Snow-RLS7-loopinstall.zip i downloaded from your link and it booted just fine.

I didn't change anything in the zip file. This is really strange, would you mind doing an ls -lh /sdcard/multiboot/ss* and post the results of that here?

Guest Snap.IT
Snap, I have 2 questions.

1. Can i use Paranoid JB as Loop ROM?

2. Is there any feature for delete one Loop ROM?

Regards,

Guna

1. Yes.

2. Yes i have included a script for that. To use it do this:

1. Open terminal session.

2. cd /sdcard/MakeLoopROM

3. sh cleanup.

The script will guide you through the process with choices and questions.

It works just fine for me, i created the two loop files, ss7sys and ss7data and installed the Swedish-Snow-RLS7-loopinstall.zip i downloaded from your link and it booted just fine.

I didn't change anything in the zip file. This is really strange, would you mind doing an ls -lh /sdcard/multiboot/ss* and post the results of that here?

Very strange, indeed...

I have run the script once again and the result was the same - after installing the resulting zip file through cwm the phone does not boot, just stays on the android logo.

Here is the listing from the terminal :

1|u0_a5@android:/ $

sdcard/multiboot/ss* <

----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 262144000 2012-10-17 20:52 ss7data

----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 209715200 2012-10-17 20:52 ss7sys

Guest Snap.IT

Very strange, indeed...

I have run the script once again and the result was the same - after installing the resulting zip file through cwm the phone does not boot, just stays on the android logo.

Here is the listing from the terminal :

1|u0_a5@android:/ $

sdcard/multiboot/ss* <

----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 262144000 2012-10-17 20:52 ss7data

----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 209715200 2012-10-17 20:52 ss7sys

It takes a few minutes for it to boot but if the boot animation (which for that rom is the android logo) starts it has booted the kernel and accessed the system partition.

How long did you wait for it to start?

Are you using s2e or something like that on the cm10 rom (do you have an sd-ext partition)?

It takes a few minutes for it to boot but if the boot animation (which for that rom is the android logo) starts it has booted the kernel and accessed the system partition.

How long did you wait for it to start?

Are you using s2e or something like that on the cm10 rom (do you have an sd-ext partition)?

I have waited several minutes on the android logo. CM10 and other ROMs that I've used before booted much faster than in 5'.

Yes, I'm using s2e script on CM10 with sd-ext and it works just fine there.

Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

I have waited several minutes on the android logo. CM10 and other ROMs that I've used before booted much faster than in 5'.

Yes, I'm using s2e script on CM10 with sd-ext and it works just fine there.

Well, this will take longer for the first boot simply because a2sd is turned on by default and it will read the information in sd-ext and some apps will be incompatible with ssrls7 since they are made for cm-10.

Well, this will take longer for the first boot simply because a2sd is turned on by default and it will read the information in sd-ext and some apps will be incompatible with ssrls7 since they are made for cm-10.

So you suggest that the problem with booting this loopROM might be due to the incompatibility of apps located in my sd-ext? That is what I suspected as well.

After >15' still nothing, just the green guy...

Guest Snap.IT

After >15' still nothing, just the green guy...

Oh, you aren't getting past the "green guy"? Well that is a problem with the kernel then if it doesn't even make it to the "android" flashing text.

That should have nothing to do with the sd-ext, that has to do with a borked installation (either a problem with ss7sys, or a problem with recovery flashing the boot.img), does the red led turn off at all or does it stay on?

It's possible to mount the ss7sys loop file to check out if the installation into it worked, just do this:

1. Start terminal session

2. cd /sdcard/multiboot

3. mkdir test

4. su

5. losetup -f (remember the output of this because you'll use it in step 6)

6. losetup [output of losetup -f in step 5, eg /dev/block/loop#] ss7sys

7. mount -t ext2 [output of losetup -f in step 5, eg /dev/block/loop#] test

8. ls test

If the file appears empty then there was a problem with the installation, if not there was a problem with flashing the boot image (which is likely).

One thing i noticed when i unpacked your ROM was that the boot.img had wierd permission settings, i don't know why but it's easy enough to fix.

Here is a copy from the terminal session :

u0_a5@android:/storage/sdcard0/multiboot # ls test

app

bin

build.prop

etc

fonts

framework

lib

lost+found

media

sd

usr

wifi

xbin

u0_a5@android:/storage/sdcard0/multiboot #

So, the resulting test file is not empty.

The boot process stops on the 'green guy' not only after installing a zip file by cwm, but also when I use the boot script from the terminal.

Edited by Walwon

Guest Snap.IT

Here is a copy from the terminal session :

u0_a5@android:/storage/sdcard0/multiboot # ls test

app

bin

build.prop

etc

fonts

framework

lib

lost+found

media

sd

usr

wifi

xbin

u0_a5@android:/storage/sdcard0/multiboot #

So, the resulting test file is not empty.

The boot process stops on the 'green guy' not only after installing a zip file by cwm, but also when I use the boot script from the terminal.

Yup, the installation worked fine and unpacking your boot.img and reading the init.rc reveals that it is exactly as it should. The problem seems to be with either flashing the boot.img or mounting system via the init.rc script.

To confirm that it is a problem with flashing the boot image, try this:

2. su

3. cd /sdcard/multiboot

4. erase_image boot

5. flash_image boot Swedish-Snow-RLS7boot.img (i assume this is what the boot.img is called because of the name of the ROM you uploaded).

If the result isn't a success then the output should show that, if it IS a success then the problem is with mounting system.

To restore your boot.img of the nand ROM just do this:

2. su

3. cd /sdcard/multiboot

4. erase_image boot

5. flash_image boot boot.img