power button

Guest brit07

I just wanted to recommend an app called TapTapTap that also unlocks your phone based on input from the proximity sensor. I don't use a case that totally covers the proximity sensor. With TapTapApp I can unlock the phone with 2 swipes across the sensor. Takes a little while to learn the perfect finger movement/action, I prefer left to right (ironically, tapping is hopeless). Works 1st time about 85% of the time. The hit on my battery is acceptable, and I am definitely prolonging my power buttons life. Other similar apps are available, can anyone recommend a better implementation?

Update: Took my own advice and investigated the app 'Light Lock', which arguably unlocks more consistently.

Edited by Roids

Hi all, firstly the mod works great however if my screen is shut for over 10 mins the camera button fails to turn on the screen again. Anyone else with this problem?

Guest chinstroker

Hi all, firstly the mod works great however if my screen is shut for over 10 mins the camera button fails to turn on the screen again. Anyone else with this problem?

Me. I had this issue. Opted for the manual piece of cardboard under the button by removing the back which is a perfect fix (if the crappy power button losing its click was your original problem)

Guest chinstroker

Ill try to take one later but really want to disturb it! Literally put your thumb nail down the casing behind the power button and lightly lift it up. Give the button a press and youll see where the piece needs to go

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Humphries1

That's nice but these type of 'me too' posts are utterly pointless.

Sorry precious. Update- still broke :)

Edited by Humphries1

I'm now a little paranoid that this will happen to me. I bought my OSD on ebay. Is this covered by a warranty? If so, what details are needed to get a repair (i can contact the seller and request some details if they are not private)

Guest Simon O

I'm now a little paranoid that this will happen to me. I bought my OSD on ebay. Is this covered by a warranty? If so, what details are needed to get a repair (i can contact the seller and request some details if they are not private)

A copy of the original receipt is helpful but not essential. As long as you know the purchase date then it'll still be covered under the 1 year manufacturers warranty which is handled by SBE Ltd in the UK. However they are rather slow so be prepared to be without the phone for at least a month. Just pop a bit of card under the button like suggested. It'll work fine and won't cause any additional problems. Only send the phone for repair when it has a serious issue and be sure to remove the cardboard you placed under the button.

A copy of the original receipt is helpful but not essential. As long as you know the purchase date then it'll still be covered under the 1 year manufacturers warranty which is handled by SBE Ltd in the UK. However they are rather slow so be prepared to be without the phone for at least a month. Just pop a bit of card under the button like suggested. It'll work fine and won't cause any additional problems. Only send the phone for repair when it has a serious issue and be sure to remove the cardboard you placed under the button.

What is the whole cardboard thing? Is there a video tut?

• 2 weeks later...

Dam it my power button is failing again grrrrrr

Think it is time to look a bit deeper into volume wake, there has to be a way to make it survive sleep as cyanogenmod has it.

Volume wake would be a perfect solution, with an on screen power off widget and volume wake, you would rarely need to touch the power button. I will look into this tomorrow.

Guest Simon O

Dam it my power button is failing again grrrrrr

Think it is time to look a bit deeper into volume wake, there has to be a way to make it survive sleep as cyanogenmod has it.

Volume wake would be a perfect solution, with an on screen power off widget and volume wake, you would rarely need to touch the power button. I will look into this tomorrow.

Are you still using a bit of cardboard under the button? Try replacing it.. the cardboard might have got compressed over time. Or if you are feeling brave why not try and swap the outer button with the camera button?

Yes it has been a while since I changed it but, I have also noticed the casing is starting to push out slightly at top lol, no idea why as the cardboard is small and does not stick out enough to cause a deformation of the casing.

The camera button looks like a different setup from what I remember last time when I was looking, I don't recall it having the middle arm that the power button has but I will take another look.

This looks useful: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1107041

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

ah I didn't fully look at the button. I suppose you could always send it to SBE to be repaired.

I noticed the power button my my unit is a bit rubbish again so I opened it up.. it's my phone! They just swapped the mainboard over instead of re-flashing.

One bit of cardboard inserted again. Lets see how this goes :D

What do you think of the link above ? I tried but it is for Atrix and does not work for me. It auto pulls and patches androidpolicy.jar for volume wake.

I been trying to do myself for past hour but having issue with basksmali. well correction there, I have no problem with basksmali as I have decompiled classes.dex and made the edits, the problem is I am not able to get smali.jar to recompile grrrr. I done it in the past but forgot how now.

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

It's a pain to recompile. I believe you have to decompile it with one version of baksmali then compile it with a different version of smali or something like that. It has been a while since I did it.

It ok I got it now, just me being a pleb and using wrong command :lol:

Correct one being "java -jar smali.jar classout -o classes.dex"

rebooting now, hopefully it work.......

It does not work :( I followed guide from here: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1585309

edit: got it working :) but I have heard this is method still has issues with deep sleep.

Edited by Guest

Guest Simon O

The values are probably different :(

BTW have a look at editing res/values/bools.xml in framework-res.apk. You can enable a few things that might help a little like screen on when USB cable is unplugged. Menu button wake. Oh and you can enable the 'TV' screen-off animation as well.

APK Manager should do it easily enough.

Ok now for the test.

I have reset cpu spy so I can confirm deep sleep and will leave screen off for 10 minutes, should be long enough to know.

I think I have it working, 10 min in deep sleep and screen came back on instant I touched volume key :) I had to edit an extra file for it to work.

Edited by Guest