[GUIDE] Applying ICS Xolo Update from Orange ROM directly (for NOOBS)

Guest i am not a hacker

Guest geoff1951

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Just followed the instructions above, and am now going to spend some time getting to know ICS. Any chance of Jelly Bean...?

Thanks again!

Guest ayziaa

Could someone tell me, if I flash the xolo ics rom and in 3 month I ask orange the code to sim unlock, it will be working even if it won't be an orange rom?

Sim lock is nothing to do with what rom you are running, hence why when you get sim unlock, it persists even if you flash new rom. So there should be no problem with that, all orange will want is your IME number, which is not effected by changing roms. :)

Guest ayziaa

Sim lock is nothing to do with what rom you are running, hence why when you get sim unlock, it persists even if you flash new rom. So there should be no problem with that, all orange will want is your IME number, which is not effected by changing roms.

ok! It's just I tought that the sim is unlocked trough the rom as you put a code into the dialer if I'm not mistaken.

Guest captainkremmen

Hi guys, how someone ask before, is necessary debrand Orange stock rom to XoloGB before this update or it's posible do that direct?

Not necessary.

After a bit of deliberation, I decided "ah to hell with it" and took the plunge. I upgraded direct from Orange GB to Xolo ICS with absolutely no problems at all. You will still have all the Orange apps doing it this way, but whether that is a good thing depends on whether or not you use them.

First impressions, this thing is very fast and smooth. It was already fast and smooth of course, but it now just seems to be more so. You lose a little functionality on the camera, as there are less options to fiddle with, but I can confirm the much mentioned clicking when recording video in HD with autofocus is now gone, and is it just me, does picture quality seem very slightly better on HD recording?. Stills look much the same, although selecting Vivid improves colour saturation and pictures are now really very good outdoors in bright light.

Guest schkinx

Got an OSD today and i'm ready to play with it :)

So if i understand correctly i can flash the ICS update without having to flash the GB update first ?

And is it safe to root yet or is it still experimental ?

I dont want to bury this phone in the garden just yet :P

Guest i am not a hacker

Yes you can get ICS straight from the orange ROM by following my guide. Root is safe, but there have been problems so I would not recommend it yet.

Guest speedy2222

Yes you can get ICS straight from the orange ROM by following my guide. Root is safe, but there have been problems so I would not recommend it yet.

mmm too late ... I did it...

Guest schkinx

Thanks guys :)

The flashing screen issue has put me off rooting a bit , rather wait a few weeks and see what happens .

Saying that i wouldnt be suprised if i flashed ICS tonight orange released it officialy tomorrow lol :D

Guest rickywyatt

I think the flashing screen is because of busybox in the root flasher it needs to be replaced with the one in the /sbin folder someone with a rooted fone could get it

Guest schkinx

would it be possible to grab it with the phone connected to my laptop ?

i'm using ubuntu 12.04 , just thought linux working with linux , might be a bit easier to access the system ?

Or should i say no more and go to bed lol :D

Guest rickywyatt

you can use root explorer an go to /sbin copy busybox to your internal sdcard then connect to oc for upload

what I did was just copyed it from /sbin to system/xbin and changed the permission to

owner x x x

group x o x

others x o x

Yeah I was thinking of doing the root exploit again, but with my original system busybox in place of one in root exploit folder, and also replacing the superuser apk and binary with the x86 version, should sort it out maybe ?

And also as you advised using system busybox in xbin, I did this and root is still good.

Edited by Guest