[GUIDE] Applying ICS Xolo Update from Orange ROM directly (for NOOBS)

Guest i am not a hacker

Guest rickywyatt

Yeah I was thinking of doing the root exploit again, but with my original system busybox in place of one in root exploit folder, and also replacing the superuser apk and binary with the x86 version, should sort it out maybe ?

And also as you advised using system busybox in xbin, I did this and root is still good.

if you still got the ics updatr.zip on your sdcard you mite be able to go back to stock

If we have the update.zip on sd card, and something goes wrong, we should still be able to go into recovery and flash. What about the flasher tool, could that flash the ics update if someone gets into a serious brick situation ?

Not worried about those bloat apps, I am thinking if I mess about to much as I often like too with every device, and now even more so as I have been root deprived for a while now. :lol:

Although I am a lot more nervous with no CWM so probably wont be to silly.

Edited by Guest

I removed it as I hate being charged for a text message about registering my phone with xolo and it pops up ever time you reboot

Oh, never noticed as all those apps are frozen with rom toolbox, sod it, I getting rid to then lol.

I noticed that social gallery is running even though frozen, and it always seems to be near the top in battery stats :wacko: But as it is stock gallery, I am thinking it could be linked to camera, just like contacts & phone apk are linked.

I know I could delete half those system apps, done it many times before, but in this case with no clockworkmod, I feel not so brave :lol:

Edited by Guest

Guest captainkremmen

I removed it as I hate being charged for a text message about registering my phone with xolo and it pops up ever time you reboot

I simply set the Xolo apps to DISABLE in Manage Apps and have no requests to register on rebooting.

There is not much you cannot delete reallly system app wise so long as you do not touch apps needed for system to boot. (If you have never deleted apps from system before then ask someone to make sure it is safe to remove if you want to remove a certain system app)

I also removed talk and google + as I dont personally use.

Next stop, ics battery mod lol.

Uot will do that for me, as it is odexed rom I will need to upload systemui odex file too.

The only real worry I guess was if bootloader was running some check on system when booting, but now it is safe to say it is not........it is android business as usual.lol

And as Ricky says, as long as we have the update.zip permanently on sd card, we have some form of rescue whereby we can flash the update from recovery, OK its not ideal like CWM, but its all we got, right now this is our CWM.

Edit: first OSD with battery mod :D

I will be transfering my small ICS battery mod collection: http://www.modaco.co...934-modaco-ir1/

Only as we do not have cwm to flash it is a manual job so a guide will be needed for those that do not know how to do this.

I going to test a bit further to make sure it is safe to share with everyone, then when I have a bit of time I will move my mods over here :D

post-796032-0-73757600-1349867781_thumb.

Edited by Guest

is everything working ok now your rooted ?

And is the original thread on how to root still the best way to do it Jikobutsu ?

Yes no problems here, and the original root method works, although some are getting flashing screens during the process(including me)

It is down to the busybox used in the root exploit, so maybe it should be retested with the system busybox and x86 superuser.apk and binary.

Why some are getting flashing screens and others do not, makes no sense to me, but I am sure there is reason. It seems that those who do not get flashing updated from orange rom straight to xolo ics.

Guest schkinx

I dont get flashing screen but I did go from Orange to ics

So when upgrading orange GB to xolo ICS , the new rom may have replaced all files causing the issue , but if overwriting its own xolo GB it might have thought i don’t need to replace these files , and that might cause the flashing issue .. just a thought :)

Guest Calloutman

Hi,

I was holding off buying a OSD till you made this breakthrough! Before I commit to buying one the instructions tell you to load the ICS update onto an SD card, I thought that the OSD didn't have a microSD card slot?

Or is it talking about the general internal phone memory?

Edited by Calloutman

Guest shootomanUK

Hi,

I was holding off buying a OSD till you made this breakthrough! Before I commit to buying one the instructions tell you to load the ICS update onto an SD card, I thought that the OSD didn't have a microSD card slot?

Or is it talking about the general internal phone memory?

Yes thats correct its the internal storage :-)

(it does have a hidden microSD slot underneath the back cover, it has been disabled but we may get it working in the future)

Edited by shootomanUK

• 2 weeks later...