UK Vodafone ICS - B936 released OTA !

Guest tcpaulh

Guest Rico_89

I don't know why you guys are updating to 895? No where does it say you should have to do anything but upgrade in the normal manner. If an update isn't available via ota then .. an update isn't available.

Finally, according to the info, on the original post, after updating your build number should be..... ".... version will show as U8815V100R001C02B936."

Guest Rico_89

Can confirm 892 is now upgradeable

Great.. now we need to know if the unlockbootloader.exe is working. If you can't unlock the phone completely then I wouldn't bother with this.

Just got my notice to update it downloaded a 20MB file in zip format

it rebooted and and says "assert failed: apply_patch_check("/systwm app/maps.odex"

then it says a load more errors lol..well done huawei....

Guest Rico_89

If its bit for bit the same then surely it wouldn't make a difference

From page three of this thread.

Blown it. Used unlockbootloader, and indeed the phone was rooted OK, confimed by titanium. But then did the step to unlock the boot loader and now can't get any combination of buttons to start the phone.The update must have modded the boot loader...

We need more info regarding this version that will update from B892 and it would be great if someone could get the update.app before they install.

Guest psionandy

I don't know why you guys are updating to 895? No where does it say you should have to do anything but upgrade in the normal manner. If an update isn't available via ota then .. an update isn't available.

Finally, according to the info, on the original post, after updating your build number should be..... ".... version will show as U8815V100R001C02B936."

895 is now the OTA version which is offered to users on 892. It certainly wasn't offered yesterday,,, and i believe this is the pre-upgrade to the gull blown ICS version;

Guest synchropair

My two boys have these phones. All that i have done is to unlock them and update to 892. The ota update has appeared this morning. Shall i update their phones or wait a bit. Will the update lock back to Vodaphone?

Guest alpine101

My two boys have these phones. All that i have done is to unlock them and update to 892. The ota update has appeared this morning. Shall i update their phones or wait a bit. Will the update lock back to Vodaphone?

My attempt didn't lock back to Vodafone, I was still able to use Orange/TMO texts. Only the unlock bootloader went astray...

Guest Rico_89

My attempt didn't lock back to Vodafone, I was still able to use Orange/TMO texts. Only the unlock bootloader went astray...

That is a show stopper for sure. If you can't unlock the bootloader then this update is dead to me.

Guest alpine101

That is a show stopper for sure. If you can't unlock the bootloader then this update is dead to me.

The only thing I can think of is that the phone was already unlocked, because I'd done that when I first got it using Paul's method. I assumed the update, which at that point appeared successful, would have re-locked it, it had certainly lost root. So that's why I used the unlockbootloader.exe method. The first step regained root OK and the second step ran the unlock script, without any errors as far as I could see, though the dos window wasn't there for long. I don't remember it flashing the phones leds, but I might not have been looking.

Edited by alpine101

Guest Rico_89

The only thing I can think of is that the phone was already unlocked, because I'd done that when I first got it using Paul's method. I assumed the update, which at that point appeared successful, would have re-locked it, it had certainly lost root. So that's why I used the unlockbootloader.exe method. The first step regained root OK and the second step ran the unlock script, without any errors as far as I could see, though the dos window wasn't there for long. I don't remember it flashing the phones leds, but I might not have been looking.

Every time you install an update.app via ota or SD card, your phone will need to be rooted and the bootloader unlocked (if the bootloader is locked). If you did use the Gingerbread method to unlock ICS then that maybe an issue but as far as unlocking your phone, then you did the right thing using the .exe.

Edited by Rico_89

Guest alhimyaa

I keep getting an error after attempting to install the update. I am on stock B892 and when I choose to download the OTA update, it asks if I want to restart to install it, when I say yes it would restart and take me to a page with a picture of an android with a triangle and exclamation point above it. Pressing the bottom left key shows me the following error message under the cwm-based recovery menu:

E: unknown volume for path [sDCARD:HwOUC/update.zip

Installation aborted

I have tried installing through the CWM-Based Recovery menu too but get another error message:

E:failed to verify whole-file signature

E:signature verification failed

Installation aborted

And again even if I set the verification process to be skipped I get an error message. My phone is unlocked, via a code from vodafone when I first got the phone and rooted. Any help is much appreciated.

Guest unaszplodrmann

I wouldn't use the OTA updates at all, as they are clearly inferior to the modified packages available here, which include some bugfixes for Huawei's funk ups.

Guest alpine101

Every time you install an update.app via ota or SD card, your phone will need to be rooted and the bootloader unlocked (if the bootloader is locked). If you did use the Gingerbread method to unlock ICS then that maybe an issue but as far as unlocking your phone, then you did the right thing using the .exe.

I didn't repeat the Gingerbread unlock after the successful ICS upgrade, I just ran the exe.

Edited by alpine101

Guest lowrider007

I'm really not sure wether to update or not, I'm currently using official 2.3.6 with LauncherPro Plus and am pretty happy, will Launcher Pro work ok with ICS? what benifits will I gain from upgrading to ICS?

Edited by lowrider007

Guest kieranswhite

I'm really not sure wether to update or not, I'm currently using official 2.3.6 with LauncherPro Plus and am pretty happy, will Launcher Pro work ok with ICS? what benifits will I gain from upgrading to ICS?

i think it looks better :). most of the apps seem easier to use. you can get nova/apex launchers which are much better than launcher pro. new widgets..etc

Guest Simon O

To anyone that OTA updated: What is your build number shown in Settings > About phone > Build number

I don't know if it's just me but I'm rather confused as to why some people have B936F (which is the new fixed update from Vodafone) and some have the older B936. This doesn't make any sense.

There definitely IS a fixed ROM as quite a few people are reporting no issues with the new OTA.. so these people must have B936F.