[Kernel] 308 Kernel for official ICS roms, Updated 07/02/2013

Guest PaulMilbank

Been running this #19 kernel a week now. Observations is it doesn't reboot randomly and the battery is amazing. Can I hazard a guess that the battery lasts twice as long as the standard 3.0.8 kernel? Using INFUSION B05.

Recon tillaz should include your kernel in his INFUSION build :)

FYI - he does now (B06) :)

• 5 weeks later...

hello,

I use this kernel for several days, but I have a small question.

Why underclocking most important is it not available, it might be possible to gain more battery?

Guest PaulMilbank

hello,

I use this kernel for several days, but I have a small question.

Why underclocking most important is it not available, it might be possible to gain more battery?

Underclocking does not necessarily work to add more battery. It can just make the phone slow to respond on startup and slow to get to deep sleep which is bad for battery life. I prefer to have a reasonable speed minimum so it finishes tasks faster and then goes into deep sleep faster. It also means the device is faster to respond when waking up.

Thank you for your response and your work for the community

It's not stupid but my phone sleep 80% by day and

I thought it could have helped to battery life.

And I am not sure on me(I tested many versions), but I tested this rom : http://www.modaco.com/topic/359774-ics-repack-403-b952-u8815-worldwide-release-rom/

and this allowed undeclocker under 300 'and overclock), support eap sim but the unit seem to be less reactive and don't propose I/O scheduler to sio.

(sorry for my english)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PaulMilbank

A lot of the huawei stock based roms use the supercharger script with this kernel so I don't see why you could not add it to your phone alongside this kernel.

Guest PaulMilbank

Daz is so far ahead of what I know how to do! watching him port the 3.4 kernel on github is like watching magic happen. I may well build the source for it with some mods like I did with the CM9 kernel, but it will depend on the source working first. I don't have the time or the skill to be much help in what Daz and Fagulhas are doing unfortunately.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Paul, here is an init I built to replace the Huawei one, built from CAF sources with added support for service.brcm.bt.* system properties. This init allows user defined usb modes to persist through reboot, whereas Huawei, being the cowboys they are, actually force 'mass_storage,adb' via init itself. I've not tested my one-line modification yet because my G300 is in for repair, but it should be enough to add the bluetooth support that was missing.

Program: No Frills CPU control (download off the market/play store)

Overclock settings: Min 480 and Max 1.19ghz or 1.229ghz

Governor: I recommend smartassv2

I/O scheduler: vr

Im a little bit confused, i read about android governor, how do i know which governer i have? do i need to install smartassv2?

Edited by fo1133

Guest PaulMilbank

you will still see what changes you can make, but they will be limited. A custom rom or kernel will allow more governors, more cpu settings etc.

Guest PaulMilbank

As above, no. The kernel for cm9 and 10 already has the mods from this kernel and if I find anything that works, I contribute it to Daz's code usually as well. If the bluetooth calling was fully working in CM9/10 I would not be worried about a stock kernel at all, I would be on cm9 or 10 full time. I just wanted to finish this for completeness as there was still some unfinished work in my last #19 kernel.

Thanks Paul for the awesome kernel. It works wonders on my ROM :)

P.s. Which kernel is better, release #7 or release #19?

Edited by kyan31

Guest PaulMilbank

#7 is newer and potentially better. Just need testing and feedback on it to see if it has been an improvement on #19. Zram should now work and it has a couple of other tweaks.

Guest dejan.m

Release #7 does not have zram enabled. MemoryInfo sad that kernel doesn't have swap file enabled. Please can you check it?

Edited by dejan.m