[Kernel] 308 Kernel for official ICS roms, Updated 07/02/2013

Guest PaulMilbank

Release 19 seems the quickest on My phone, can't get a stable overclock out of any of them.. Antutu 3684+- on 19...and only 2965+- on newer releases. Quite a difference there..

I agree, when using lightning ROM, release #19 keeps the phone running smooth. The newer releases made the phone actually lag quite alot, for example in the launcher.

To be honest, release #19 works so well, so I don't really need any updates.

Guest PaulMilbank

Yeah, I think I am going to remove wheatley governor from the next one. I had to enable an include in the defconfig and it works great with wheatley but every other governor seems to suffer a lack of smoothness.

Guest Pain_Deluxe

Have no lag with smartass on launcher.

wtf is wheathley :D ( found it)

Yeah you should remove it. On smartassV2 and stock Clock everthing is sloppery (Lagging scrolling and launcher)

But @ 300-1,19Ghz everything is fine.

and wtf? 300-600mhz(smartassv2= no lags @ homescreen and scrolling ?`only if i select stock clocks it lags.

ony wheathley the stock clocks lag , too.

Edited by Pain_Deluxe

Guest PaulMilbank

OOPS:

Yeah, wheatley was an oops. #14 is up with wheatley removed and cpu idle commented back out of the defconfig. Smoothness is back.

Wheatley explanation from the dev:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21638852&postcount=56

and Wheatley explanation:

http://www.alliance-rom.com/community/wiki/governors-explained/

So with the new highly-flexible Wheatley governor one can have the best of both worlds.

This governor is only available on multi-core devices.

No wonder it messed things up on our single core phone!.

Guest Pain_Deluxe

hm 14 is a bit laggy to on scrolling.

just reinstall infusion with your kernel. lets see....

Lagfree governor

'lagfree' - this driver is rather similar to the 'ondemand'

governor both in its source code and its purpose, the difference is

its optimization for better suitability in a battery powered

environment. The frequency is gracefully increased and decreased

rather than jumping to 100% when speed is required.

So its good with battery too?

Edited by Pain_Deluxe

Guest unaszplodrmann

Could've been worse; it might've been Governor Wheatley. Arnie was quite weird enough a choice...

I got my G300 back recently, so I'm going to start having a play again. What weirdness did the init I gave you cause?

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest PaulMilbank

Once I changed to MTP, I could not get mass storage mode back. Also It mixed my sdcards up if I remember correctly. Would you mind giving a tutorial of how you made it? Would be keen to see what changes you made and see how you made it.

Guest unaszplodrmann

Ah, really? Thats interesting because it sheds some light onto the modifications Huawei have made to the CAF source. The ROM I'm working on is based on B952 but has most of their flakey, semi-functional "value added" features removed; it just provides an AOSP-like user environment (and will eventually include LVM, hopefully)... Hence I didn't come across those issues... Huawei's dodgy feature hacks are unfixable without even uglier kludges, so I disabled/removed them instead.

Unfortunately, it sounds like fixing persisent MTP for stock ROMsin general would be a faff. Working with the sources from CAF, you'd need to replicate the behaviour of Huawei's init in order to support their hacked up vold... I just added a few property/id combinations to the property_perms array in system/core/init/property_service.c to get bluetooth working, like so:

{ "service.brcm.bt.", AID_BLUETOOTH, 0 },

{ "service.brcm.bt.", AID_SYSTEM, 0 },

{ "persist.service.brcm.bt.", AID_BLUETOOTH, 0 },

Guest unaszplodrmann

No chance that I'll be able to make Huawei's features work properly... Maybe if Android were GPL rather than Apache licensed, and I had the knowledge required already... But even then, stuff like the "ICS Double Sdcard" feature is just plain wrong by design, and as such, completely fubar. The CyanogenMod team could teach Huawei a thing or two about what Huawei like to called "professional tuning". Huawei's kittens were malformed from birth and though it seemed unfortunate, I killed them in name of attempting to make the software they've published fit for purpose. ;)

There are some thing I've found that could be fixed which I lack the skills to tackle. High resolution video recording is a good example. As far as I can tell, the limiting factor is the crappy sensors drivers from CAF; they don't offer different resolutions for preview output and recording.

Edited by unaszplodrmann

Guest PaulMilbank

Nice. Yeah, Huawei make some really strange decisions with software. It is really odd to me. There are a couple of changes in the kernel to make hi res video work too. The board config needs more memory added to it but we have so little free, It may not be worth allocating a big chunk to a feature that may or may not be supported.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dmalaquias

PaulMilbank, does the new #15 support init.d? I only ask because i'm using it on infusion and i don't find the etc/init.d data

I wish to use the supremacy trilogy v3 script and i think is not installing cause need the init.d

Guest PaulMilbank

Should do, I included init.d initialization in the kernel ramdisk so if infusion does not have an etc/init.d folder, just add one and then put your scripts into it.

Guest PaulMilbank

Some people still prefer it. I feel that #15 is better personally as it has working swap and zram Which I could not get working before I broke my build environment for the #19 kernel, and a much cleaner source. I personally think some of the memory changes I coded into the kernel caused force closes, but they did help alleviate some of the low memory problems. It is just which one you prefer, they are both available to use, test and play with and all source is on github should anyone feel inclined to make changes.

Guest exerullz

what governor should i use for 480 min 1.19 max ?

what's the difference between smartassv2 and conservative?

or better: which is the best governor for both gaming performance and battery save?

Edited by exerullz