Superboot - Nexus 4 root solution

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest dbcooperdk

Hi all, has anyone used this method lately? Am getting a Nexus 4 tomorrow and just wanted to confirm that everything is working.

Also, I assume that I need to install the Android SDK to get all the right drivers etc?

Guest The Soup Thief
Hi all, has anyone used this method lately? Am getting a Nexus 4 tomorrow and just wanted to confirm that everything is working.

Also, I assume that I need to install the Android SDK to get all the right drivers etc?

Think I used the wugfresh toolkit (should be linked to in my signature) at xda - made it super simple - but I'm sure Paul's superboot should be fine too

• 1 month later...
Guest Mr.Clark

Paul, any chance of an update to Superboot with the SuperSU version that works with 4.3 ?

Hah. Wish I'd seen this before trying the old one.

Seconded... :P

EDIT: I've just tried modifying the boot.superboot.img with the latest su and SuperUser.apk from Koush, but although it's installed, I still don't seem to have root. I wonder if that's related to the fact that the OTA Rootkeeper did not, in fact, keep a copy of root.

Edited by Mr.Clark

Guest englishpunk

OTA RootKeeper didn't keep root for me, though after trying the old Superboot the "Device Rooted" box is now ticked though the "Root permission granted" box still is not.

I tried booting TWRP/CWM/PhilZ custom recoveries (as opposed to flashing them permanently), but none would boot to the point of letting me flash a zip (all stopped at a blank screen), so i could not flash the latest SuperSU package.

Guest comicbookguy

there's a SuperSU package intended for the leak whick works sort of reliably, but TB really doesnt work for restoring backups..... ATM i've gone back to MCMCR until everything is working

Guest Mr.Clark

If anyone wants root on stock, I had to flash CWM Recovery and install the latest SuperSU package (the one specifically designed for 4.3). Looks like Google have figured out how to properly break "traditional" root - the new SuperSU uses some whacky daemon thing to do it's work.

That said, it does work, so you can have root until one of the SU guys fixes what Google broke.

Now to figure out how to get stock recovery back...

Guest englishpunk

If anyone wants root on stock, I had to flash CWM Recovery and install the latest SuperSU package (the one specifically designed for 4.3). Looks like Google have figured out how to properly break "traditional" root - the new SuperSU uses some whacky daemon thing to do it's work.

That said, it does work, so you can have root until one of the SU guys fixes what Google broke.

Now to figure out how to get stock recovery back...

That's where I got to, I don't want a custom recovery at this point, so I thought I'd be cheeky and see if Paul felt kind enough to update his Superboot ;)

Guest Mr.Clark

That's where I got to, I don't want a custom recovery at this point, so I thought I'd be cheeky and see if Paul felt kind enough to update his Superboot ;)

As a mate just pointed out, the original recovery.img is in the image-occam-jwr66v.zip file, so you can have your cake and eat it. :)

Just a single run of Superboot is easier, of course, but I think that the changes that Chainfire has made to get root to work means it could be a bit more complicated to get Superboot working than just updating a few files.

Guest englishpunk

As a mate just pointed out, the original recovery.img is in the image-occam-jwr66v.zip file, so you can have your cake and eat it. :)

Just a single run of Superboot is easier, of course, but I think that the changes that Chainfire has made to get root to work means it could be a bit more complicated to get Superboot working than just updating a few files.

Ok, I gave in, I flashed TWRP 2.6.0.0 recovery, flashed SuperSU 1.41, then flashed the original recovery.img back. It's a good job I always unlock the bootloader before I do any updates really, usually leave it locked because I have the BootUnlocker tool installed. I also did the TitaniumBackup fix of changing the backup directory from /storage/emulated/0/TitaniumBackup to /storage/emulated/legacy/TitaniumBackup. If Superboot is updated though then I'll happily revert to test, having asked the question in the first place ;)

EDIT : SuperSU has been updated to 1.43 to deal with some of the bugs, ZIP linked below, update also live in the Play Store

SuperSU 1.41 download : http://download.chai...130625-1.41.zip

SuperSU 1.43 download : http://download.chainfire.eu/342/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.43.zip

TWRP 2.6.0.0 download : http://techerrata.co....6.0.0-mako.img

BootUnlocker for Nexus Devices download: https://play.google....11.bootunlocker

TitaniumBackup fix walkthrough :

Edited by englishpunk

• 3 months later...