Jiayu G3 rooted / permanent recovery / ICS spell check fixed & Jelly Bean Update.

Guest putbinoot

Guest putbinoot

I've just got one of these awesome handsets. I have two problems that are annoying though -

1 is the GPS, I cannot get a decent reliable lock in the car or standing outside. I can only get a fix through wifi.

2. When head phones are plugged in, the sound comes out through the headphones as expected, but also through the phones loudspeaker as well.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful. It really is a great piece of kit and I am very pleased with it despite these niggles, but if these can be fixed then it really is the best bargain I have ever bought!

Oh and thanks to putbinoot for his excellent video. That was the reason I decided to take the plunge and order one. Great video showing us what we wanted to know.

The speaker on the back can be turned on and of, it's actually a good idea as it let's you listen to radio without having to have headphones on. Just press on speaker symbol at the top to change it to headphones. As for gps have you enabled EPO and AGPS. Must admit sometimes I get a fix in 20-30secs other times it seems to be struggling, well Google maps struggle but any gps app from market seems to lock on a lot quicker so I am not sure if it's how Google interacts with the phone.

The imei i beleive is programmed at manufacture onto a chip on the motherboard and cannot be changed without knowing the correct procedure and having the right tools. It's not something a distributor or seller of phones could do and as the Jiayu manufacture these phone for use in china they would not have eurpean imei numbers to put on them, not sure if they have to pay a license fee for imei numbers or they can generate them at will and even if that is the case they still would not do it again because these phone are for use in china only.

Hi putbinoot and reganlives,

thanks to both of you, for the tips and settings, will give them a try as soon as I can!

the imei can be changed, I belive, through the "engineering codes" on the phone, another manufacturer ZOPO, actually have a you tube, "How to do"! I know in the UK, it is against the law to change a phones imei! :(

In the case of my MMS thing, I do not think it is a problem, as internet works and you both see no problem.

Have you looked at the jelly bean link I posted? what do you think?

thanks again :D

Guest putbinoot
Hi putbinoot and reganlives,thanks to both of you, for the tips and settings, will give them a try as soon as I can!the imei can be changed, I belive, through the "engineering codes" on the phone, another manufacturer ZOPO, actually have a you tube, "How to do"! I know in the UK, it is against the law to change a phones imei! :(In the case of my MMS thing, I do not think it is a problem, as internet works and you both see no problem.Have you looked at the jelly bean link I posted? what do you think?thanks again :D
That was close, about to change imei and i thought i would change it for the one on my g300 as that has no problem with google play movies but when i got it out it also has an 86 imei so it can't be that that's causing the licence error with google movies. Did mms work on that sim in another phone, if so it must be a simple thing we are missing. About to try that JB from your link.Installed ok and went straight to english, all google apps failed so installed the signed gapps also but the only one that worked was play store so had to uninstall, currents, youtube and gmail and reinstall through play store and all went well. Gps seemed quicker but could be beginers luck, will play some more with it but not sure it has anything over the iCS i was running.

Screenshot_2013-01-07-22-56-43%20(Small).pngScreenshot_2013-01-08-09-37-15%20(Small).png

While running 4.1.2 for the short period i did charging the phone took all night and for me netflix stopped working, you see image when fast forwarding but not when playing, gone back to ICS as I am playing with OsmAnd maps which seems to get a GPS fix a lot quicker than google maps.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest leemann

That speaker thing is a very good idea. I like that!

I have enabled EPO and AGPS. It's odd. My G300 seemed to get a much more accurate and faster fix. But it's a small price to pay as my G300 was always frustrating me with it's buggy software, lack of speed etc.

Thanks for your help.

The speaker on the back can be turned on and of, it's actually a good idea as it let's you listen to radio without having to have headphones on. Just press on speaker symbol at the top to change it to headphones. As for gps have you enabled EPO and AGPS. Must admit sometimes I get a fix in 20-30secs other times it seems to be struggling, well Google maps struggle but any gps app from market seems to lock on a lot quicker so I am not sure if it's how Google interacts with the phone.

Guest putbinoot

That speaker thing is a very good idea. I like that!

I have enabled EPO and AGPS. It's odd. My G300 seemed to get a much more accurate and faster fix. But it's a small price to pay as my G300 was always frustrating me with it's buggy software, lack of speed etc.

Thanks for your help.

Try installing the free OsmAnd maps form playstore and see if it finds sats quicker, it seems to on my phone. My G300 also seemed to be faster in this respect.

Hi putbinoot and reganlives,

Have sorted my MMS problem and as predicted it was something small!

More by luck than judgement.

I add search all around for the APN settings and they were all more or less the same, apart for a couple quoted the

MMS Proxy as 192.168.224.10 instead of the usual 192.168.224.010 Had not really took much notice, but while

I was checking settings and APN you both posted, I gave it a try, it works!!!! :D

So thanks again for your help and support.

So on to the next things, recovery and ROM's! They will have to wait until I have more time, after the weekend, work and stuff!!!

Putbinoot,

I can see you tried the Jelly bean Rom in the link, so think it needs more work? or perhaps wait for the offical one?

sorry if I put you off the imei changing!

thanks to all that posted on the MMS. :D

Guest reganlives

Glad you managed to get it sorted mate. Tbh I havent even tested mms on my phone yet so will have to check it! As for the JB rom, I think it may be better to wait for the official one really.

Guest reganlives

Whats up with your phone putinboot? How's it been playing up? I managed to try my GPS finally last night whilst I was out and with AGPS enabled as well as my data connection it managed to get a lock quite quick, within a min or so. I initially tried using OSMand but it was a bit slow then got a lock but when I tried to use it for nav it didnt work even though I had downloaded all the maps. Anyway, I then tried google nav and it worked ok but lost gps lock after a min, probably due to the weather though. I need to get a windscreen mount so I can try it properly though.

Whats the best mapping software to use though which stores maps locally like Ovi maps does as I found that really good on my X6?

Edited by reganlives

Guest reganlives

Installed Copilot on my phone on friday and from what I can see I'm impressed with it! Looks good and clean but not the most user friendliest nav's available I would say.

Guest h@mster81

I'm very happy with my G3 but the official rom(ICS) needs some serious optimisation. I wish to have a MODACO ROM on it! I know this will never happen.

Guest dohcacr

I've had my JiaYu G3 for less than 24 hours and I'm in trouble already! Tried rooting with the instructions In the first post. Intended to root the phone, install CWM, backup the phone, and wait until there was a official stable JB. Everything went as described in the rooting process until the last step;

c:\User\your user name here>cd \ "hit enter"

c:\>cd bin4ry v17 root "hit enter"

c:\bin4ry v17 root>adb \stuff "hit enter" and a lot of text will scroll past which means you are in the right directory.

c:\bin4ry v17 root>adb devices "hit enter" daemon will start and numbers and letters will appear with the word "device" at the end. If that happens we are good to go.

c:\bin4ry v17 root>runme "hit enter" writing turns green.

c:\bin4ry v17 root>1 "hit enter" a screen will appear on phone select restore my data no password needed. Leave phone it will reboot twice i think it is and that's you done.

After hitting "1" for "normal" the phone rebooted one time and then froze with the JaiYu logo displayed. Now it won't power off and my laptop no longer detects it through the usb port. I thought I was pretty safe doing this, since there seems to be many who have successfully done this before me, but here I am with a 1 day old JiaYu G3 that seems to be DEAD.

I've tried an extended (45 sec) of the power, extended press of vol+/power, but nothing seems to effect it. It just sits there with the JiaYu logo displayed, MOCKING me!

I really need some help here PLEASE!

EDIT: IT's ALIVE! All I had to do was momentarily remove the battery and power it back on.

Edited by dohcacr

Guest putbinoot

Just upgraded to 4.1.2 using the splash tool as the card flash method failed. Download the wireflash version and the tools and driver folder for installing the preloader driver and flashing tool.After you have installed driver and with your phone of and unplugged from pc open the spflash tool click on load scatter file and once it has loaded click firmware update (not download which seems to be in a lot of tutorials) look at the bottom of the spflash screen and you will see the word searching, just plug your phone in and leave it, you will get al sorts of coloured bars, red,purple and yellow i think. Anyway for get about them once it's finished you get a green ring shut down spflash unplug phone and turn phone on. Uk english is in there and the dictionary fix so no red lines, all in all all good so far.

Also comes pre rooted so one less thing you will have to do. Will do a step by step of driver install and flashing if anyone wants it.

Updated first post with a step by step.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest putbinoot

has any1 found a fix for the orange mms issue?

Still cant get mine to work

ihome got his working he said.

I add search all around for the APN settings and they were all more or less the same, apart for a couple quoted the

MMS Proxy as 192.168.224.10 instead of the usual 192.168.224.010 Had not really took much notice, but while

I was checking settings and APN you both posted, I gave it a try, it works.

Edited by putbinoot

Guest FrankieADZ

ihome got his working he said.

I was checking settings and APN you both posted, I gave it a try, it works.

thanks for that, managed to sort of fix it now :)

changed the 010 to just 10 ; made sure I've got the sim registered on Orange 3G and it worked last night to download the MMS i had :)

Guest reganlives

Putinboot: So is that 4.1.2 jb rom defo official then? I havent been able to find much info...

Also, when you carry out this update, do you lose all apps etc?

Edited by reganlives

Guest FrankieADZ

I haven't heard anything on the JB update for the G3,hope they bring it out.

Not trying the beta versions, think I'll wait until he official full release

Guest putbinoot

4.1.2 JB is beta and you lose all apps. I have not found any bugs so not sure what or if anything will change from this. Some people have said they have Bluetooth trouble but my X5 headset is fine with music and calls.

4.1.2 JB is beta and you lose all apps. I have not found any bugs so not sure what or if anything will change from this. Some people have said they have Bluetooth trouble but my X5 headset is fine with music and calls.

hi putbinoot,

thanks for posting the jelly bean update, was waiting for the full offical one, but very tempted to give it a try.

when you say lose all your apps, i assume you mean any you have down load from play store?

or does this include google stuff, play store included or is that part of the rom?

any better than the one in the link i posted?

sorry for the the questions, just want to know what to expect if i give it a go.