Buying a new phone: G300 or G330?

Guest XMasterNinni

Guest XMasterNinni

Hi!

I'm coming from the ZTE Blade and want to buy a new phone for Christmas. So I looked at Amazon and found two very interesting handsets: The Huawei Ascend G300 (lots of old ZTE Blade/Skate devs/buddys bought that device) and the Huawei Ascend G330.

The G330 costs only 15 Euros (12 pounds) more than the G300 and has got a dual core 1ghz processor, but it hasn't got such a great Dev community.

Which one would you recommend me? Do you think that the G330 will also have such a great community? Is there any other phone in that class?

Thanks in advance!

XMasterNinni

PS: Hi Daz! :)

Edited by XMasterNinni

Guest Predackon

Hi!

I'm coming from the ZTE Blade and want to buy a new phone for Christmas. So I looked at Amazon and found two very interesting handsets: The Huawei Ascend G300 (lots of old ZTE Blade/Skate devs/buddys bought that device) and the Huawei Ascend G330.

The G330 costs only 15 Euros (12 pounds) more than the G300 and has got a dual core 1ghz processor, but it hasn't got such a great Dev community.

Which one would you recommend me? Do you think that the G330 will also have such a great community? Is there any other phone in that class?

Thanks in advance!

XMasterNinni

PS: Hi Daz! :)

Personally would not go with the G300 now because G330 is out. True that G300 has custom roms and a big community but so will G330 soon. It has dual core processor which make a big difference the ICS on it is really smooth,quick,and responsive my brother got it from amazon 2 days a go and i'm really jealous because ICS completely sucks on my G300.

I wouldn't be certain the G330 will have a great dev community until I'd seen it. The G300 relies mainly on Dazzozo for big developments, and the Blade has more I think. If the G330 gets just a bit less interest, it could end up with very few custom ROMs.

However, I see the appeal of dual core - if it was up to me, I'd wait and see, but since it's for Christmas, that's difficult. Good luck!

Guest Malthus

I wouldn't buy either at this point. The G330 is too little, too late, it's never going to have the dev community of the G300. The G300 is getting pretty long in the tooth as well. I'd either spend a bit more for a Nexus 4 or hold off until summer by which time there should be another budget Blade/G300 successor, with better specifications and a newer version of Android by default.

Guest godsakes

The conclusion I've come to with android phones is that it's not good enough just to look at the specs, until there's a decent custom rom which truly unlocks the potential of the phone & iron out the bugs. The phone can just be a world of frustration. So I'd say just grab a 2nd hand G300 (or 2nd hand galaxy S2 once the nexus 4 starts driving down used prices to sub £150)

Guest XMasterNinni

Thanks for all the responses!

Well, I think I'll buy a G330.

The main reasons are the dual-core cpu, the bigger internal space and the better design.

The Nexus 4 starts at 299$ in the USA, which should cost only 185£ in the UK and 229€ in Austria. But here, it costs 400€, which is too much...

Or should I order a Nexus 4 from USA..(i need a proxy then :P)

Guest Malthus

Just realise you'll most likely be stuck with the stock ROM if you go with a G330 and Huawei or ZTE or another company will most likely come out with a budget phone in summer with ICS or JB and better specs for the same price.

Guest experiment626

I have both ,the Nexus 4 is the better phone quad core / 2gb ram makes this phone very fast, response and customization is excellent on this phone ,if you have to choose one phone the the Nexus 4 has alot of development going on for it and is a very good andriod phone.

For me the bigger screens coming a pain as they get bigger and bigger 4.7 inches on the Nexus4, I owned the Samsung note before but got tired of lugging it around .

I use the G330 day to day for work as it has dual simm and is only a 4inch screen so is easier to hold unless you have humongous hands.

The G330 is a step up from the G300 had 2 G300's before. The G330's screen definitely looks better then the G300 and being a dual core it is much more responsive.

The G300 was very creaky and felt less robust , the G330 feels alot better made and doesn't creak when you squeeze it phone construction is a step up from the g300 .

Customization for this phone at the moment is asian based as this phone was released in the asian market a few months ago.Saying that the amount of roms for this phone v other chinese phones is greater at the moment, check out romzj.com so the phone has potential.

All of the ROMS I have tried have english so it is a case of using titanium backup to take out unwanted bits. The stock huawei roms are available for china unicom which contain english so you can always go back to stock , but you still need to customise or remove the chinese apps.

I have managed to customise the phone quite a bit (google translate if your friend).

Guest Malthus

There'll always be a better new phone 6 months in the future, not really relevant when you need a phone now.

Not quite. Smartphones tend to come round in roughly twelve month cycles, we're already past the midway point of the G300's, which was first announced way back in February. I would expect an announcement of a spiritual successor (in the same way many people considered the G300 a natural successor to the Blade) in the next few months with general availability in summer. In my opinion the G330 is really an incremental in-between update and will be quickly eclipsed, with much less developer interest than the G300 has gotten. With that in mind I don't think it's a bad idea to suggest holding off a few more months if possible.

Edited by Malthus

Guest scottwild.co

I currently cant find a 330 for less than £160 + post. I cant justify that for something with just a dual core and nothing more than the G300 I have.

I would probably go and buy a more hardware packed phone from china like the Jiayu G3 even though there is no dev community to speak of.

Guest XMasterNinni

What do you think of the Huawei Honor/U8860?

950h in standbymode and a 1900mAh accu are quite awesome.

It doesn't have to be dual core, does it? 1.4ghz are enough for me ;)

Guest billybiro

Not quite. Smartphones tend to come round in roughly twelve month cycles, we're already past the midway point of the G300's, which was first announced way back in February. I would expect an announcement of a spiritual successor (in the same way many people considered the G300 a natural successor to the Blade) in the next few months with general availability in summer. In my opinion the G330 is really an incremental in-between update and will be quickly eclipsed, with much less developer interest than the G300 has gotten. With that in mind I don't think it's a bad idea to suggest holding off a few more months if possible.

I'm not so sure. Yes, we're past the "half-way point" of the G300's cycle, however, there's a big difference between announcing a new phone, and that same device actually being available to buy. This is especially true with these Chinese manufacturers like Huawei and ZTE. Look how long it took between announcing devices such as the Ascend P1/S & the ZTE Grand X and then actually being available.

Even if Huawei announced a bunch of "successors" to the G300/G330 phones today, it'd *still* be 6-12 months before we could get our hands on them!

Guest Frankish
What do you think of the Huawei Honor/U8860?

950h in standbymode and a 1900mAh accu are quite awesome.

It doesn't have to be dual core, does it? 1.4ghz are enough for me ;)

Screen res is same as g300 and only 512mb of ram I would avoid.

Guest bladebuddy
Just ordered an Alcatel One Touch 997D Ultra..

1Ghz dual core

1GB RAM

8mp canera

For just 200€ :D

I would love to see a dev like yourself join the g300 community but the g330 would also move on with a contribution from you.

Either phone you pick I sure you will make it better. May a rom porting tool for a g300 if you have some spare time J

Guest XMasterNinni

I would love to see a dev like yourself join the g300 community but the g330 would also move on with a contribution from you.

Either phone you pick I sure you will make it better. May a rom porting tool for a g300 if you have some spare time J

Yes I would like to! Well, I can promise you, there will be a ROM Porting Tool for armv7.

I'm currently working on a new release which will include

-> armv7 Support

-> Two ROM-porting ways: the standard one and a new framework porting way (perfect for MIUI and the other well-styled chinese ROMs)

-> ..

Guest Urbanchina

The G330D has compass, tested with google map.

**EDIT : Sorry, no e-compass but it should support e-compass according to etotalk.com, does it mean it support map with compass? Confusing...

Edited by Urbanchina