[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Finaly, found some time to test GPS on my

ZTE v987. While reading comments on bad GPS

in MTK6589 phones, to be true, I was escaping from facing my new device`s flaws :)

I flashed new miui 5-6 days ago and I didn´t use any fixes or EPO activation in engineer menu.

I didn`t touch original miui gps.conf, either.

So:

Two days ago - Google maps is on - 1 minute to fix position

(Data switch is on at first - to download local map, then switched off)

Yesterday - 1 minute to fix position

This morning - again 1 min.

This afternoon - 10 seconds, few hours later - the same

City drive yesterday - error is 0-10 meters

City drive today - error is 0-5 meters

(I was passanger, so I was following the dot on the map for a prolonged time)

Once again - no EPO, no fixes, gps.conf...

Nice?

P.S. Not a bit worse than MIO c310 I had 8 years ago

Edited by dakok

Guest Frankish

That seems really good how much did you pay for it again? My xiaocai is a write off as far as GPS is concerned. It's fine to locate you but travelling in a car is a no go jumping down different streets when going in a straight line.

Xiaocai battery update. Two sim cards active all day. 18 hours off charge. 3 hours 22 minutes of screen on time. Texting, Facebook, Twitter and a few games. 58% battery left. Never had am android phone last this long at all.

Edited by Frankish

Great battery.

I paid near $260 with shipping for v987. Now it is

$211 at geekbuying (paying in AUD, facebook coupon could bring it down $5 more)

Antelife, Mcbub and Tmallbox have it for few $ more.

Another thing.

Did you know that you can escape your country taxes when buying on Banggood store?

It was confirmed system for croatian buyers for about two months.

I didn`t want to write it here (I was selfish :blush: ), waiting for oportunity to buy something there

and afraid of rumours that could spread and thus break that nice deal.

Catch is in fact that banggod sends its parcels thru Sweden. When it arrives to Sweden - their post

presses a swede post sticker on the parcel so when it arrives in croatian post office

- they treat the parcel as european origin.

Now add banggood $10 referral discount and guess who was croatian favorite seller!

System was 100% effective while it was lasting :).

Everybody was buying on banggod and few mobile forums were flooded with positive

user experience.

Post office was clogged with banggood parcels, or was it to the fact that office employees

were IT literate forum addicts - you guess what happened.

That seems really good how much did you pay for it again? My xiaocai is a write off as far as GPS is concerned. It's fine to locate you but travelling in a car is a no go jumping down different streets when going in a straight line.

Xiaocai battery update. Two sim cards active all day. 18 hours off charge. 3 hours 22 minutes of screen on time. Texting, Facebook, Twitter and a few games. 58% battery left. Never had am android phone last this long at all.

Thanks for the update regarding GPS. Damn, another one that I won't be buying.

Just tested making calls and texts from both sims on my Xiaocai X9 running MIUI V5 it works very well indeed! Very happy with it!

Have you managed to get 2G working on Sim 2?

yep, i second this... charged mine up to 75% the other morning and with heavy usage i have managed to get 4 hours 32 minutes of screen on time... over 19 hours.

which for me is a record on any android phone i have had to date.

light usage and i have reached 3 days. (not screen on time lol)

the fact that this has an 1800mAh has me confused as the Y300 with a 4inch screen and 1950mah battery was no where near as good as this....

on the AOSP'ish rom i have been working on. (not a fan of Cai OS)

post-913969-0-18221600-1379062322_thumb.

post-913969-0-96134200-1379062303_thumb.

post-913969-0-23921900-1379062307_thumb.

post-913969-0-77243200-1379062312_thumb.

post-913969-0-26511500-1379062316_thumb.

post-913969-0-08833500-1379062319_thumb.

Guest Frankish

Have you managed to get 2G working on Sim 2?

Not tried actual 2G yet as I haven't set up the Ovivo apn for my second sim. Curious as to why you would need 2G in second slot as it's too slow for anything really other than maybe email?

yep, i second this... charged mine up to 75% the other morning and with heavy usage i have managed to get 4 hours 32 minutes of screen on time... over 19 hours.

which for me is a record on any android phone i have had to date.

light usage and i have reached 3 days. (not screen on time lol)

the fact that this has an 1800mAh has me confused as the Y300 with a 4inch screen and 1950mah battery was no where near as good as this....

on the AOSP'ish rom i have been working on. (not a fan of Cai OS)

post-913969-0-18221600-1379062322_thumb.

How complete is this AOSP'ish rom? You got aosp dialer and messages as that was my main dislike of the Cai OS.

Guest invertedgoatie

Does anyone know anything about the Jiayu G3T. Looks like a stunning phone. I like the design plus it has the new MTK6598T processor that doesn't have the GPS issues that the non T chip had. I'm also looking at the THL W200 but 5 inches is a bit goliath sized imho. They're roughly the same price. Any other recommendations? Cheers

Not getting the GPS issues people are having, the MTK6589 chipset it will do GPS perfectly well problem is as i have found it is dependent how well it works with the rom you have installed and probably the software for navigating. When i first got my Lenovo A820 the rom installed would pick up sats within the house, after upgrading to a custom rom it was not as good. So i did the tweaks on gizchina and its better and still never any issues with "jumping about" that other people claim with MTK6589 chipset?

Its as good if not better than the G300, lock on is like a minute or two but that's normal for sat navs, running iGo Primo and it gets me everywhere.

Accuracy for me using gps test is down to 9ft which is as good as you get.

Would be interesting to use this jumpy software others have.

Edited by sedj

Then you must have a nice clear view of the sky :D .

I don't think it's the software that's jumpy, it's the satelite signals bouncing around between hirise buildings and/or inside motorcars. There were posts on how to improve the GPS antenna on some China phones.

Guest Frankish

Not getting the GPS issues people are having, the MTK6589 chipset it will do GPS perfectly well problem is as i have found it is dependent how well it works with the rom you have installed and probably the software for navigating. When i first got my Lenovo A820 the rom installed would pick up sats within the house, after upgrading to a custom rom it was not as good. So i did the tweaks on gizchina and its better and still never any issues with "jumping about" that other people claim with MTK6589 chipset?

Its as good if not better than the G300, lock on is like a minute or two but that's normal for sat navs, running iGo Primo and it gets me everywhere.

I have tested the GPS on my X9 and it was awful although you're right i've not tested it on the stock rom. I will try that later. The MTK Engineering Menu doesn't work on MIUI so i can't do the silly EPO tweaks etc outlined in the "fix" threads though.

Tillaz you anywhere near a point you would like to share your AOSP X9 rom or is it still very much a work in progress?

EDIT:

@sedj If you have an MTK6589 phone on hand right now can you please pull from your system folder "EngineerMode.apk

EngineerCode.apk

EngineerModeSim.apk" and upload them here for me please?

Edited by Frankish

Guest Frankish

Do you have "stock" item in Miui Settings?

It is the engineer menu.

Btw, do you have latest miui from yesterday?

No i don't have that option. And not updated to yesterdays release yet as it doesn't seem to offer much improvement. Apps on sd still rearrange themselves on a reboot. That's main bug and also can't download files over 20mb without a lot of messing about.

guys please help me out here,wanna get budget friendly smartphones like 10 for atleast not more than $160 so please i need ur help with good brand that have good history and personal experience...with specs like: quardcore 1.2ghz or more or 1.5ghz dualcore or more,good cameras,android 4.0,4.1,4.2,good battery 1800mah and above,good body etc....thanks

guys please help me out here,wanna get budget friendly smartphones like 10 for atleast not more than $160 so please i need ur help with good brand that have good history and personal experience...with specs like: quardcore 1.2ghz or more or 1.5ghz dualcore or more,good cameras,android 4.0,4.1,4.2,good battery 1800mah and above,good body etc....thanks

help guys wanna get some budget phones for my freinds,$160 or less...please give me names of good brands and good specs quadcore 1.2ghz and above or dualcore 1.5ghz and above,1gb ram,good dual cameras,please help as i dont want to dissapoint...thanks

Here is a real solution for tracking apps like Runtastic, Endomondo, My Tracks, etc

that have bad GPS behaviour on phones with MTK6589 phones.

Solution comes from spanish mobile forum, and it looks like this (google translate):

Taking rooteado the phone, open the "Root Browser" and edit the file "/ system / build.prop"

Add the following line

dalvik.vm.execution-mode = int: fast

I've added the other line just below that begins "dalvik.vm ..."

We recorded the file, Root left the browser, and restart the phone. "

@ josemanuelh :

"I hit the last lines of my file so you can see where I put myself, my version is the latest rom stock without touching more than that"

ro.kernel.android.checkjni = 0

net.bt.name = Android

dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file = / data / anr / traces.txt

dalvik.vm.execution-mode = int: fast

# Begin adupsfota properties

ro.adups.fota.oem = Vanzo

ro.adups.fota.device = ZP800H

ro.adups.fota.version = 20130604-192031 ZP800H

# Begin adupsfota properties

(My note: last five lines are only zopo phone specific ones - as I understand this)

My understanding of this tranlation is:

Phone has to be rooted.

Install Build Prop Editor from Google Play.

Browse to: /system/build.prop and open it

Add the following line just below this: dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

Save the file, exit Build Prop Editor and reboot the phone

The downside is that you wont be able to run or walk at speed of 200km/h now...

:)

P.S. Normally, you can use any other root explorer for this

P.P.S.

More comments here and here

Edited by dakok