[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

I bought the More Fine S6 Pro about a month ago from Deals Prime, had no problems with them at all. The phone is fantastic. Has anyone else bought this phone? I'm trying to find a root for it but not had much luck so far.

Find framaroot

Motorola moto G ticks all those boxes and beats the MTK6589T devices, if your are fine with max 16GB storage

plus it will have AOSP based roms (CM, PAC, AOKP, etc) as they are in the process of uploading the source this week, porting miui will also be possible,

and custom kernels, not to mention the 4.4 update in January, you can get it for £119 from tesco and £2 to unlock 

only problem is, its rather hard to get hold of one right now as the demand is extremely high, lucky i managed to grab one last Sunday  :)

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-16gb-black/398-8016.prd?skuId=398-8016&fromRV=true

£10 off code: TDX-7DXM

Motorola are owned by Google so i would Imagen they will be kept up to date quite well, and be one of the best supported phones after the nexus  

Specs:

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-5831.php

It may be fast, but it is far from a good phone, according to this user review from Amazon:

The overall concept of this smartphone deserves 5 stars, but the Moto G is shipped with a number of bugs and flaws:

1. The recovery has a broken design and does not work (eg factory reset or wipe cache).

2. The notification LED shows no missed calls , only email, sms and WhatsApp .

3. The camera is "in need of improvement" in this price range and direct comparison to Samsung S3 mini or LG Optimus. Strong image noise . Most of the indoor images are blurred.

4. The carrier name can not be removed.

5. The "parsing error" do not allow installing apk files. A factory reset via settings can help in some cases.

6. The battery cover is too tight and has a poor fit. The gap between the cover and the lens frame of my Moto is about 1mm wide at one point.

7. The gradation of the volume is very poorly adapted . Only the last 3 steps are really usable, the others are much too quiet .

8. The sleep mode shows no "Charged"- or "Fully Charged"-icon while charging. The only option is the use of a screen saver (Motorola named this feature "Daydream").

9. The radio can not output sound through the internal speaker (while using headphones as antenna).

10. USB On The Go is not fully integrated into the stock rom . The Moto does not even have its own file browser. OTG works only on third party apps.

11. The buttons on the side do not fit perfectly and rattle, when shaking the device.

12. The strength of the vibration can not be set.

(13. The preinstalled ringtone is a nice joke, but in some situations embarrassing, when not changed.)

14. The built-in camera module mechanic makes an annoying "scratching" sound when opening and closing camera- or flashlight apps.

15. The Google Search (widget at the top) can only permanently removed by a third party launcher. Disabling Google Search, via the normal "Apps" settings, will cause unusable space at the top of the screen.

16. There is no power off safety. When the power button is pressed 7 seconds, the Moto G automatically restarts. You can't transport this phone in your pocket without being concerned about important messages, when you have a pin for the sim card enabled and other things like your wallet in the same pocket.

17. When the device is fully discharged, it may happen that you can not recharge or even boot the Moto with a normal <= 1000mAh charger.

Some of this flaws can be easily corrected but others do look really bad.

It may be fast, but it is far from a good phone, according to this user review from Amazon:

The overall concept of this smartphone deserves 5 stars, but the Moto G is shipped with a number of bugs and flaws:

1. The recovery has a broken design and does not work (eg factory reset or wipe cache).

3. The camera is "in need of improvement" in this price range and direct comparison to Samsung S3 mini or LG Optimus. Strong image noise . Most of the indoor images are blurred.

5. The "parsing error" do not allow installing apk files. A factory reset via settings can help in some cases.

6. The battery cover is too tight and has a poor fit. The gap between the cover and the lens frame of my Moto is about 1mm wide at one point.

7. The gradation of the volume is very poorly adapted . Only the last 3 steps are really usable, the others are much too quiet .

8. The sleep mode shows no "Charged"- or "Fully Charged"-icon while charging. The only option is the use of a screen saver (Motorola named this feature "Daydream").

9. The radio can not output sound through the internal speaker (while using headphones as antenna).

10. USB On The Go is not fully integrated into the stock rom . The Moto does not even have its own file browser. OTG works only on third party apps.

11. The buttons on the side do not fit perfectly and rattle, when shaking the device.

(13. The preinstalled ringtone is a nice joke, but in some situations embarrassing, when not changed.)

14. The built-in camera module mechanic makes an annoying "scratching" sound when opening and closing camera- or flashlight apps.

15. The Google Search (widget at the top) can only permanently removed by a third party launcher. Disabling Google Search, via the normal "Apps" settings, will cause unusable space at the top of the screen.

16. There is no power off safety. When the power button is pressed 7 seconds, the Moto G automatically restarts. You can't transport this phone in your pocket without being concerned about important messages, when you have a pin for the sim card enabled and other things like your wallet in the same pocket.

17. When the device is fully discharged, it may happen that you can not recharge or even boot the Moto with a normal <= 1000mAh charger.

lol, because of one stupid review its far from a good phone? don't be daft.  :)

i actually have the device now and can personally say the person who wrote this is a total idiot who quite obviously does not know much about android...

most of the stuff listed is just there own stupidity lol and rather funny to read.

the phone is amazing, for a start the display looks better than my nexus 5, and the sound quality is much much better than it by far...

but don't take my word for it though, post this review here http://www.modaco.com/forum/751-motorola-moto-g/ &  http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g

and see what other owners think of it.

i will make a proper honest review if people are interested.

or read reviews on tesco http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-16gb-black/398-8016.prd?skuId=398-8016&fromRV=true or video reviews http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=motorola+moto+G+review&sm=3 and you will see.

and if im honest i like the nexus 4 & moto G better than the nexus 5... for me it feels like a step back from the 4 (build wise & the display looks worse)  :(

Guest jamie_w

My xiaomi red rice is now in the UK( according to Singapore post) , will my tracking still work on their site or does it change to another delivery company? And if so who would it be?

Thanks

Guest Maringer

What is the format of the tracking number? Is it 2 letters followed by a lot of numbers?

I know that some overseas services deliver packages via Parcelforce so may be worth trying the number on their site: www.parcelforce.com

Guest Maringer

The code sounds similar to those of Royal Mail special/recorded delivery services as well. Perhaps worth a try?

Edit: I've just looked at a roll of Royal Mail Airsure labels (our company sends stuff overseas by mail order) and these contain two letters, 9 numbers then GB at the end, obviously relating to Great Britain in the way the SG relates to Singapore.

I'd have thought the Royal Mail site should be your best option. At this time of the year, it might take them a few days to check the code into their system, however...

Edited by Maringer

Guest daz1107

My xiaomi red rice is now in the UK( according to Singapore post) , will my tracking still work on their site or does it change to another delivery company? And if so who would it be?

Thanks

Looking forward to a full review of the red rice - i'm holding out for the Mi3....when it's eventually available in the UK!!

Guest MickJack

OK thanks, its been in the UK since the 6th so good chance its being delayed at customs :-(

Singapore post (down again atm) list my pipo m7 pad as in the UK (arrived at overseas) on the 6th, no sign of delivery yet, "RX ninedigits SD" tried royal mail and parcel force track and trace, shows not known. thinking customs.......... but fingers crossed

Edit 11th/12: oopps, my mistake, just got back on singapore post and the date has changed to 10th, arrived at overseas.

Edit 13th/12: Home from work, card on mat, collect from Royal Mail delivery office tomorrow, £12.94 to pay, of which £8 is handling, so £4.94 for customs, guess I can live with that.

Collected today 14th, box marked as value $40 so the £4.94 is marked as vat.

Edited by MickJack

Guest jamie_w

Well its just arrived today via royal mail. Merimobiles put its as a gift and put total value as $30.

1st impressions are the build quality looks and feels very good quality. Its on charge now so I'll report back with the rest later.

1 question though, it came with a black rubber pad (or something) that's sticky on both sides, does anybody have any idea what it is?

Well its just arrived today via royal mail. Merimobiles put its as a gift and put total value as $30.

1st impressions are the build quality looks and feels very good quality. Its on charge now so I'll report back with the rest later.

1 question though, it came with a black rubber pad (or something) that's sticky on both sides, does anybody have any idea what it is?

Did you order a generic case with it? If so I think it might be to help the phone stick to the case.

Guest jamie_w

I didn't order my case through them, still waiting for that to come. I don't think its for sticking a case because its wider than the phone but a few mm thick.

Guest jamie_w

I'm having an issue with the miui installed on my red rice, I move the apps into folders and when I turn /reboot phone a lot of the apps are out of the folders and back on the home screens. Any ideas?

Most of those have probably been fixed/corrected by now, remember its Google that has to be dealt with, not crappy Huawei :p

Guest grabster

Well my trusty g300 finally hit the wall,er... bit the dust so im looking for a replacement phone .

Gotta be dual sim and 4.5 screen or larger.

Whats my options here ? bearing in mind i need it to be cheap as well.

Was thinking of the moto g ,single sim i know but could live with it but would prefer dual sim though.

Guest Maringer

I'm having an issue with the miui installed on my red rice, I move the apps into folders and when I turn /reboot phone a lot of the apps are out of the folders and back on the home screens. Any ideas?

Not used MIUI for a while, but I seem to recall that there used to be this sort of problem if the apps were stored on the SD card. This was something which occurred with some enthusiast builds of MIUI on a Motorola Atrix. I do think that some other builds didn't have the same issue, however, so it might not be something to do with that.

Wow, anyone seen EE's new budget 4G device...

i just got this text message from EE so decided to check out the device they are talking about, and was surprised at the price & specs.

post-913969-0-72955400-1386944542_thumb.

Alcatel One Touch Idol S: http://shop.ee.co.uk/alcatel-one-touch-idol-s-group/pay-as-you-go/details/#choose-plans £129.99.

i have seen people saying its a Dual core snapdragon 400? (also think there is an MTK version in china)

Specs comparison to Moto G: http://www.ADVERT LINK REMOVED.com/phones/compare/Alcatel-One-Touch-Idol-S,Motorola-Moto-G/phones/8136,8208