[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Maringer

I see that the Xiaomi Hongmi 1s has been announced. A pretty uninspiring upgrade to the Snapdragon 400 which might be a little quicker than the Mediatek chipset in the original Hongmi, but I was hoping for something better than this.

I'd imagine they are planning to release a higher-spec Hongmi 2 before too long. Only problem is that it will probably be something like a 5.5 inch screen which is way, way too big.

There will be no big difference in Antutu score, but as we know - antutu test isn't everything about speed   :)

Hongmis:

MSM8628 1.6GHz  / adreno 305 >19 GFlops

MTK6589T 1.5GHz  / SGX544  - 11.4 GFlops

MTK6592 3DMark ~ 7000

MSM8628 3DMark ~ 5500

MSM8228 3DMark ~ 5000 - Chili Pepper (China Unicom version)

MTK6589T 3DMark ~ 3600 

MTK6582 3DMark ~ 3000 

Edited by dakok

Guest Maringer

Where did you get your figures? If the figures on wikipedia are correct, they should actually read 12.85 GFLOPS for the SGX544 and 21.6 GFLOPS for the Adreno 305. Not sure of the clock speed of the Adreno, however, so just assume it is the 400 MHz stated on wiki. A lot of guesswork involved here!

This is a good increase in GPU power over the SGX but I'm not sure to what degree the original Hongmi was ever GPU-limited? Regardless, it was the minor increase in CPU performance which disappointed me.

It will be interesting to see what a Hongmi 2 will bring to the table later this year.

Edited by Maringer

Probably nothing new here but I just got this spam email from TinyDeal and was surprised to see the likes of the Cubot X6 for $190 and Thl W200S for $200.

Edit: sorry - link to newsletter didn't work but here are a few of the phones mentioned...

Cubot X6: http://www.tinydeal.com/presell-cubot-x6-5-ips-mtk6592-8-core-android-422-phone-p-119641.html

Thl W200S: http://www.tinydeal.com/presell-thl-w200s-50-ips-mtk6592w-8-core-android-42-phone-p-119901.html

(Oh - also just noticed that they may be pre-order and not in stock right now...)

I really shouldn't be thinking of another phone but.... :o

Edited by dalyer

Guest metal.mickey

ok, thinner and lighter but is it as strong. i think the phone i linked to has ogs but doesnt mention gorilla glass, are they always combined or is the one linked to lacking in strength

Any advice on a 4g phone which will work on "3"

Network is just coming available in my area .

cheapest one is the Alcatel one touch idol S from EE http://shop.ee.co.uk/alcatel-one-touch-idol-s-group/pay-as-you-go/details/, i unlocked it off ebay for £1.50

or the nexus 5 which is high end with best value for money. 

not sure if the mtk6592 even supports LTE, and if it does it will depend on the bands the china phones support for it to work on 3

Huawei G6 (4G version) is announced yesterday and it will be released in April.

Besides that, new generation of Mediatek MTK6595 Octa Core phones with 4G support are comming in the second half 2014.

MTK6595 specs:

• Four Cortex A17 + Four Cortex A7 cores in big.LITTLE arhitecture
  • GPU: Imagination Technologies PowerVR™ Series6 GPU
  • 4G LTE Multi-Mode modem – FDD + TDD LTE with 150Mbits/s downlink & 50Mbits/s uplink
  • Over 30 3GPP RF bands – globalna support
  • World's premiere hardware support for new H.265 Ultra HD (4K2K) video codec
  • 20MP camera support & WQXGA (2560 x 1600) display controller
  • MediaTek ClearMotion™ technology
  • MediaTek MiraVision™ technology
  • New WiFi standard - 802.11ac support
  • Multi-GNSS satellite positioning support: GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo i QZSS
  • Bluetooth LE & ANT+ support
  • First multimode receiver for inductive and resonant wireless charging

More details

Edited by dakok

cheapest one is the Alcatel one touch idol S from EE http://shop.ee.co.uk/alcatel-one-touch-idol-s-group/pay-as-you-go/details/, i unlocked it off ebay for £1.50

or the nexus 5 which is high end with best value for money.

not sure if the mtk6592 even supports LTE, and if it does it will depend on the bands the china phones support for it to work on 3

Nexus 5 looks good.

Talking about 4G in UK, here's the new Huawei Ascend G6, presented today at MWC 2014 in Barcelona:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6ggoO-KCQ

Edited by dakok

Guest Maringer

Pity about the low-resolution screen. Otherwise, it looks a decent enough specification. Not sure how well the HiSilicon chipset will match up in battery life against chips containing the Cortex-A7. All previous HiSilicon chips have been Cortex-A9 variations, I believe, which will be a bit quicker than A7s but with higher energy consumption.

Good to see Huawei seem to be going with decent Sony sensors and a fast F2.0 aperture for the camera. Must be the same module as used in the Honor 3C. If you don't require LTE support, I think the 3C is a better option.

Edited by Maringer

Guest metal.mickey

Im up for a new phone and have chosen a couple... an anyone help with my choice..?

Itz either the zoppo zp780 or the doogee dg2014 both at merimobiles .

Is one significantly better than the other or arethey simlairly specced.

Thanks MM

Guest 陰莖:)

Im up for a new phone and have chosen a couple... an anyone help with my choice..?

Itz either the zoppo zp780 or the doogee dg2014 both at merimobiles .

Is one significantly better than the other or arethey simlairly specced.

Thanks MM

Lenovo is better buy Lenovo mobile.

Guest apple2005

I ordered coolpad 9967a Halo yesterday from merimobiles for 413 dollars shipped with DHL. I don't know anybody else here is having that monster phone? :) :) :)

Guest Degurney

Hey guys.. Just developed a problem and I can't work it out.

The same issue with two different roms.

I have a xiaocai x9 and I've tried both lewa and a THL rom.

Once I sign in to google it auto updates a bunch of apps fine. But at some point something changes and now when I download an app it gets to 100% and stops. Doesn't install???

It just stays at 100% and all I can do it click the x to cancel..

Any ideas??

Guest apple2005

Once I sign in to google it auto updates a bunch of apps fine. But at some point something changes and now when I download an app it gets to 100% and stops. Doesn't install???

Any ideas??

Many problems are solved by deleting the data of applications. Go to applications and locate playstore And delete the data. Try it.

Guest 陰莖:)

Any ideas??

You cleer cache dalvic !§

Guest scarba

Any ideas??

Could be a cache problem ordalvik cache. Clear both from recovery, fix permission and you should be OK.