[OFFTOPIC] China Phone Discussion - UPDATED 30/10/2013

Guest kyan31

Guest Rico_89

The last post on giz china states that it has gorilla glass :)

http://www.gizchina....dy-looks-great/

And here I thought gorillas were .. .....well this pictures sums it up.

Gorillas_In_The_Mist_poster.jpg

Guess who replied.. Yep the fake Jiayu official retailer.

I asked them if gorilla glass would be present on both the 1gb and 2gb versions of the G4 and they replied:

Dear customer,

yes,both of them have Gorilla glass.

Have a nice day.

Well of course I'll have a nice day now. I got a fake confirmation from a fake company.

Guest bryfly

Thinking of trying a Chinese purchase of a Jiayu G4 from China, so been through the posts to try and find all Chinese sites mentioned (listed below)and trying to get a feel for the most popular, a couple do not work anymore but don’t think I missed any apart from fakes identified. The most mentioned site appears to be merimobiles and the cheapest for the basic jiayu G4 appears to be mentoo.com @£135.39

www.fastcardtech.com/

www.uredeal.com

www.merimobiles.com/

www.dinodirect.com/android-phones/

www.pandawill.com/

www.etotalk.com/

www.android-sale.com/

www.ejiayu.com/en/

www.mentoo.com/smartphone.html

www.lightake.com/products.do/category.Wholesale_Cell_Phones-5

www.ordersmax.com/Cell-Phone/

Guest Colossae3.23

Thinking of trying a Chinese purchase of a Jiayu G4 from China, so been through the posts to try and find all Chinese sites mentioned (listed below)and trying to get a feel for the most popular, a couple do not work anymore but don’t think I missed any apart from fakes identified. The most mentioned site appears to be merimobiles and the cheapest for the basic jiayu G4 appears to be mentoo.com @£135.39

www.fastcardtech.com/

www.uredeal.com

www.merimobiles.com/

www.dinodirect.com/android-phones/

www.pandawill.com/

www.etotalk.com/

www.android-sale.com/

www.ejiayu.com/en/

www.mentoo.com/smartphone.html

www.lightake.com/products.do/category.Wholesale_Cell_Phones-5

www.ordersmax.com/Cell-Phone/

Have you seen this? http://www.modaco.com/forum/710-jiayu-g-series/ There is some discussion in there about some of these companies. If my memory serves me right the first 2 on your list are hit and miss. Etotalk seems to have favourable feedback, and you've got PayPal with them for sure. Just wondering is that £135 with delivery?

Guest bryfly

Have you seen this? http://www.modaco.co...jiayu-g-series/ There is some discussion in there about some of these companies. If my memory serves me right the first 2 on your list are hit and miss. Etotalk seems to have favourable feedback, and you've got PayPal with them for sure. Just wondering is that £135 with delivery?

Delevery prices from mentoo below

Get a Quote .

Express Shipping (3-8 days to get parcel) DHL/UPS/FEDEX £18.62

Standard Shipping (12-18 days to get parcel) Registered Air Mail £3.72

Free Shipping(15-25 days to get parcel) Airmail(No Tracking Number) £0.00

Guest Wacky.ddw

I really dont like the design of the G3 to me its one of the ulgiest smartphones i have seen!

A little offtopic: Since all these phones have a mtk6589 processor i am curious why it is so hard to develop for there is no cyanogenmod for any mediatek based phone? Why? Does anyone have a good article about this or some info? Will it be likely that we will ever see roms like cyanogenmod for these phones?

Guest Colossae3.23

Anyone noticed G3 being similar to G4, but much cheaper:

http://www.gizchina....s-the-jiayu-g4/

yeah they are similar, but not the cameras. The G4 has a 13mp backlit sensor. I'm after a good low light camera phone and this one has my eye. http://www.gizchina....080p-180-phone/ Does anyone know anything about Mlais? I can't find much on them... Edited by Colossae3.23

Guest bryfly

A little offtopic: Since all these phones have a mtk6589 processor i am curious why it is so hard to develop for there is no cyanogenmod for any mediatek based phone? Why? Does anyone have a good article about this or some info? Will it be likely that we will ever see roms like cyanogenmod for these phones?

Not being an expert in mobiles and their processors / chipsets, do the above posts mean when buying from Chine we should avoid phones with Mediatek processors, as there is unlikely to be any dev's working on this type of phone, unlike the G300.??

Guest tillaz

Not being an expert in mobiles and their processors / chipsets, do the above posts mean when buying from Chine we should avoid phones with Mediatek processors, as there is unlikely to be any dev's working on this type of phone, unlike the G300.??

most of them use the MTK chipset, so the options would be limited.

all it means is that there will be no ROMs built from source, stock based ROMs like the G300 has will be possible though.

Guest dakok

Then what about

Tegra3 Quad Core 1.3GHz + 1Gb RAM + (2Ah battery) + 4.7 inch IPS capacitive screen:1280*720, 312 PPI

on 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

(Antutu is ~ 13000)

Is 230 USD too much for this?

:)

Edited by dakok

Guest tillaz

Then what about

Tegra3 Quad Core 1.3GHz + 1Gb RAM + (2Ah battery) + 4.7 inch IPS capacitive screen:1280*720, 312 PPI

on 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

(Antutu is ~ 13000)

Is 230 USD too much for this?

smile.png

is there a link or name ?

nvidia where supposed to be making budget tegra 3 devices last year,

but i only ever seen one (ZTE U950 @ 999 Yuan / £100) which is no good outside of china as its TD-SCDMA

Guest dakok

looks good, but i don't think it really has a 4.7 inch display,

it looks more like a 4.5 inch display when looking at the nexus 4

I doubt that:

Nexus 4: 134 x 68.7 x 9.1 mm

Beidou Q1: 138 x 70 x 10.3 mm

It could be that you are right, but nexus is 4x1 mm shorter.

###################################################

Beidou is a company that set Asia - Pacific bi-directional GPS system recently, going global by 2020.

Here's a little background: Little Chilli is Beidou's fairly new brand that attempts to follow Xiaomi's online retail model,

but without supplying a heavily customized version of Android like MIUI. Most of its earlier models didn't really stand

out as they carried almost the same set of components used by other budget phones; but that was until Beidou and

ZTE announced their ¥999, Tegra 3-based U950, followed by the Little Chilli Q1 which was officially launched four

days ago. The latter went on sale yesterday and the first batch of 20,000 units promptly sold out -- not a surprise

since it comes with Tegra 3 and a 4.7-inch 720p IPS display for just ¥999 as well.....

Beidou could be well on its way to become the new Xiaomi (sans the software part), though only time can tell whether

it has the reliability and after-sale service to prove it. If not, there's still plenty of opportunity for others --

Source:

http://www.engadget....illi-la-m1-qrd/

Jan. 23rd

Edited by dakok

Guest bryfly

For a novice who is venturing into buying phones from China and who was thinking of buying the winner of the poll result, namely the Jiayu G4, which lately appears to be falling from grace, the amount of brands and models now being mentioned is becoming really confusing.......non the less interesting to read about other choices , problem arises in making the right decision for a purchase..... <_<

Guest tillaz

I doubt that:

Nexus 4: 134 x 68.7 x 9.1 mm

Beidou Q1: 138 x 70 x 10.3 mm

could be inaccurate.

just looking at the video you posted, (to me) it clearly looks to have a smaller screen than my nexus 4, which also is 4.7 inch

even the G4's 4.7inch display looks bigger ?

it might actually just have a different aspect ratio though... (longer with a thinner width) making it appear smaller. :blink:

or its just me lol :huh:

and yeah, i already know about Beidou, they had a popular budget dual core snapdragon before this.

http://www.pandawill...nch-p66207.html

Guest Colossae3.23

For a novice who is venturing into buying phones from China and who was thinking of buying the winner of the poll result, namely the Jiayu G4, which lately appears to be falling from grace, the amount of brands and models now being mentioned is becoming really confusing.......non the less interesting to read about other choices , problem arises in making the right decision for a purchase..... <_<

if you don't need a phone now, I'd hold out to see what becomes of the G4. Jiayu seems to be a company that is on the move. I'm going wait a few months to see if they sort themselves out...

Guest Rico_89

if you don't need a phone now, I'd hold out to see what becomes of the G4. Jiayu seems to be a company that is on the move. I'm going wait a few months to see if they sort themselves out...

That is exactly where I am in all this. I'm in no rush so I'll sit back and see how things pan out with the G4 then make a decision.

@tillaz actually with shipping it's £203.95 :( .. On eBay I've seen it for £500.. :blink:

...do Ryan air fly to China? ;)

Edited by Rico_89